Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

I haven't told anyone I know IRL that i'm a Brony. I think about doing it every day but I know it will not go well. The only person I know that will be able to accept this fact is my mother. I know my dad will just "Shun" me and my sis will just go and tell everyone at school (she can't keep secrets) and if everyone at my school knew I was a Brony they will "attack" me more that they already do. But it's driving me crazy to not tell anyone. What do I do?!

I just told my mom it's an internet thing. She understands my internet things. :(

Me: Mom, I watch a show called My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Her: Really?

Me: Yeah, the lady who created it is married to Craig McCracken, he made Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home. She worked on those shows too, her name is Lauren Faust.

Her: Oh that's nice.

-end-

I'm a teenage girl though and I've always liked things I probably shouldn't. In my room I have posters of Mario Bros, Kingdom Hearts, Naruto, Sonic the Hedgehog, and then pictures I cut out from calendars. And then on the wall above my bed is a massive collaboration of pictures I've colored from MLP and Disney, among pictures my friends have drawn/colored for me.

So everyone in my house that comes into my room pretty much knows. In the car my brother was like "Oh I love MLP!" and I was like "Name one pony." He couldn't (so he wasn't serious), but my mom was like "Pinkie Pie?" and I was like :wub: . She spends enough time in my room to know Pinkie. xD

I've also converted five of my friends, and the guy I like at school is a brony (I've been brohoofed via internet by him) and my friends and I talk about MLP on each other's Facebook statuses. So it's not something I hide really.

TL;DR No one cares enough to be concerned.

• Brohoof 1

*watching MLP on TV in living room*

Mom: What are you watching.

Me: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Mom: Why?

Me: I like it. It's awesome.

Mom: You're too old for this kind of thing. You really need to grow up.

Me: Okay. Where's the remote? I'll start watching what everyone at school is watching.

Mom: No, no, nevermind.

Trolololol.

• Brohoof 1

*watching MLP on TV in living room*

Mom: What are you watching.

Me: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Mom: Why?

Me: I like it. It's awesome.

Mom: You're too old for this kind of thing. You really need to grow up.

Me: Okay. Where's the remote? I'll start watching what everyone at school is watching.

Mom: No, no, nevermind.

Trolololol.

Im assuming your mom disapproves of what kids at school watch? ^_^

I haven't told anyone I know IRL that i'm a Brony. I think about doing it every day but I know it will not go well. The only person I know that will be able to accept this fact is my mother. I know my dad will just "Shun" me and my sis will just go and tell everyone at school (she can't keep secrets) and if everyone at my school knew I was a Brony they will "attack" me more that they already do. But it's driving me crazy to not tell anyone. What do I do?!

Say, hey check this show out. Play an episode. Say you like it. And if they can't handle it? Just go:

post-2640-0-00887200-1332993897.gif

Im assuming your mom disapproves of what kids at school watch? ^_^

Jersey Shore, Simpsons and other "adult cartoons" and porrrrrr... clop-stuff. :blink: And such. I only watch two shows MLP and One Piece, so she can't really decide if she's lucky or I'm too much of a baby. Then she's like (in One Piece) "Why are they swearing so much?" *facehoof*

My parents don't care. Especially my Mom. She's always been really supportive except for when I first came out but she quickly came around and we're best friends again. I have a great Momma. B)

Edited by Jemboi

Maybe its just because I don't run around with a bunch of pony-related stuff everywhere, but I've never had any issues arise from being a brony. People get it or they don't and I've never had to argue, defend, or justify what I like.

Can't remember if I told my story here yet.

After I successfully got my 11 year old sister into the show when I went home for spring break, she ended up telling my parents that I was a fan. I'd never hid the fact from them; it just never came up.

My mother was a bit confused, but she knows how much I love cartoons in general, so she didn't mind. My dad laughed though; he actually already knew about the whole brony thing, and had seen Dusty's "The Manliest Brony in the World" video. So he didn't care either.

I'm back at college now. Two days ago, I got a call from my sister asking how to get youtube up on the PS3 in the living room. Apparently, now my mother is watching the show too. Her favorite pony is Pinkie Pie, because she reminds her of Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Maybe its just because I don't run around with a bunch of pony-related stuff everywhere, but I've never had any issues arise from being a brony. People get it or they don't and I've never had to argue, defend, or justify what I like.

Totally. It's never been too much of an issue with me that I ever recall.

*Dad walks into living room with mlp projected to big screen from laptop through HDMI cable*

Dad "Why are you watching my little pony?"

Me "Because I like it."

*Dad laughs hysterically*

My parents respect that I like My little pony. Dad thought it was funny because I am a hard core, trash talking, n00b p0wning, COD player.

• Brohoof 1

Update! Today my mom drove me to 2 different McDonald's trying to find a Rarity toy (I'm buying the display tomorrow, but I want two of each anyhay) and had me call 3 other locations trying to find one, but they all said they had already switched over, though it shouldn't have been until tomorrow and a person at one location promised they would get more delivered today... grr...

Anyhoo, then she called me from my brother's baseball game (I am at home doing homework/making a PMV :P) and says "Tell me I'm the best mom ever!"

She found my Rarity! *joy*

Flutteryay!

Congrats on the awesome mom. My grandmother is the only person who doesn't respect me being a brony. She has a slight problem with being a bigot. No, I am not joking. She is as tolerant as a riled rattlesnake.

I know how that feels. I haven't told anyone that i'm a brony but I still get abused for nothing.

:L My parents knew I watched it but thought it was an ironic thing even though I quoted it all the time. Then I bought a shirt and they knew it was serious... they at first thought it was a joke or something, but as soon as they found out I like it so much they were actually angry. Now they just begrudgingly accept it, because they're forced to- I wear mah brony shirt all the time and quote it 24/7, so they had to either accept it or completely refute it and they chose accept :D

My parents are Chinese, so thank goodness they don't know anything about it or Gen 3. *whew*

My mom and Grandma know about it, and they're always like "oh, you're watching those small horses again. Whatever." I think my dad would take more offense to it but he's never around the house (he predominantly works in China.) My Grandma didn't make a big deal out of it when I got all the toys at Mcdonald's, and even helped me organize them. :D

Now that I really think about it, I don't think I have ever really explained to my parents what a brony is... I mean my parents know I'm a brony but never really asked about it or brought it up before. Kinda weird considering all my electronics are ponied and my room has a couple pony posters up in it and my facebook, tumblr, and DA page are smothered in ponies.... hmmm...

My mom rocks... however, My friends as well as myself receive much hate from the haters. We swaggin' B)

My parents don't really care. Like at all. I just sort of mentioned it one day. Bought myself a Rarity. And I've managed to get a hold of the entire main cast since then. My mom supports it just like she supports everything I'm into. And my Dad... he really doesn't concern himself with it. I guess being a woman, I don't have to worry about being judged quite as much. But age, I guess, still factors into it. Regardless, it's been something fun to do with my little sister. She collects them and watches too. So does my other sister to an extent. But she's really more interested in things like Family Guy.