Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

My mom found out I'm a brony when she walked by me and I was on the computer watching some of the episodes. It went like this:

Mom: What's that?

Me: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Mom: They really made everything look better.

Me: Yup. I love it :3

Mom: *laugh* Whatever.

Then she told my dad I was watching ponies and honestly neither of them give a buck XD My mom will sometimes stop if she's walking by and watch little bits of it with me :) Then again, I'm really into cartoons and kid stuff so it isn't all that surprising to them.

• Brohoof 1

:blink: Wow! Overacting a bit weren't they? I'm guessing you didn't slap your mom to snap her out of it. (Thank you very much for those nightmares, Hitchcock! :angry:)

hehehe. Nope! My parents didn't care too much about it. but a few friends of mine got that reaction.

hehehe. Nope! My parents didn't care too much about it. but a few friends of mine got that reaction.

Did you slap them?

Friend: Evil! Evil!

*slap*

Brony: Do not question the ponies!

I told my Mom when BroNYcon rolled around during the Winter. I wanted to go but I obviously couldn't just say

"Hey Mom! I'm jacking the car to New York for an undisclosed reason for two whole days. Thanks bye! :lol: " So I suffered in silence about my disappointment until she asked me what was wrong. Being my Mom, she could tell I was upset and I could tell her anything, especially when she gave me some comforting "me and her time" to discuss. So I told her, and she was actually more dissapointed I hadn't said anything earlier! ^_^ She felt that it was a social opportunity I willing let slip by. Overall, she took this as a good thing. That I had finally found a social niche to make friends instead of this insular cocoon I had wrapped myself in over the years. Afterwards, I placed my RSVP for BroNYcon Summer! Since then, Mom has been completely cool with it, especially after showing her Saberspark's "Ballad of the Brony." My Dad, I was a little more hesitiant, but he mentioned it once offhandedly as an example in one of our "me and him" time talks. So he knows and is apparently indifferent.

Me: *watching MLP*

Mom: Are you watching... my little ponies?

Me: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic *

Mom: ... Are you gay?

Me: Not really.

Mom: I'm pretty sure you'd have to be gay to like watching that.

Me: I'm pretty sure that I like it because of shut up, that's why.

And she did!

Edited by Ashbad
  • Brohoof 1

When I told my dad, we were debating remakes. How most of the remakes of earlier things are turning out to be not as good as their original incarnation.

I used MLP:FiM as an example of some that are better and more successful than their originals.

My Dad: Wait, you watched My Little Pony?

Me: Yeah, its really good and popular with older generations now.

My Dad: So they make My Little Pony for guys now?

Me: Well it wasn't really intentional, it just sorta happened.

My Dad: Well thats weird...

• Brohoof 1

And she did!

You told your Mom to shut up? :o Though I got something of the same reaction from my little brother. He didn't say I was gay, but he did say it's attractive to gays.

Mine will be a little like :blink: ,but the real problem are other people since in my country(79% alpha males)who will go "you are a shame for men" or "gay freak",on short: loud mouths that spit without thinking,also the show is not so viewed,and like 30% are bronies.(all of us closet)

And she did!

My mother would be like,

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

I'm blessed with my friends when it comes to this... Or my friends are such oddballs/animegeeks that they approve this. I have a half-borny friend... (She's watched a couple episodes, but she can't use her laptop that much.)

My mom once walked in when I was watching MLP. She said something, then froze, and asked "Are you watching My Little Pony...?"

I just said to her "get out" XD

One of my friends just facepalmed, another said "Not you too?" and... Well, that's about the reactions I've gotten from those I've told. Mostly they're just facepalms.

I guess I seem like a person who would watch MLP :D

• 1 month later...

It's kind of an interesting event for me. One late drive home with my mom, it kind of slipped out that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is popular on the Internet. She asked if I watched it, and I kind of answered yes. She was pretty surprised. She's pretty okay with it now. She never heard the term "brony" until she told someone in the Blues Society, which she and her husband watched it with their kids. I've never told my dad or stepmom. My stepmom might be okay, but I have no idea what my dad would think. Interesting story, when I told my now ex-girlfriend, she said, "It's okay, I've caught my brother watching Strawberry Shortcake." I would not have expected that from her brother.

I have decided i shall email my mom that i am a brony! Best idea i can think. As for my freinds, they can find out on my xbox. And as for my dad, i might tell him once i get done being mad at him for LEAVING US ONLY ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO!!!! Sorry about that, i had to yell it out at some time and now is the best time i could think of... Again sorry.

My Little Pony came up in a conversation with my mother when I gained the courage to tell her. Surprisingly, her reaction was not what I expected.

"Oh, My Little Pony! I remember my sisters watched that when we were kids. . ."

"Yeah, but this is totally different. They restarted the show and got all the right people to make it amazing."

"I'll take your word for it. And these bronies, they look like a good bunch."

So that's my mother's stand on it. My dad however, put the question on me:

"So what's with this My Little Pony stuff?"

*I explain the show, why it's so popular, and the bronies*

"Oh. . . Well, at least I know you aren't weird now. I mean, you are weird, but not weird in that sense."

• Brohoof 2

My friend told my grandpa I was a brony....when I didn't want him to....without me knowing.....behind my back...o.o

Oh well, he doesn't mind or talk about it much, so I don't mind.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

hmm i haven't told them yetcuz im a guy but if i do ill do it like this!

1.Get a girlfriend(one that would accept your hobbies!)or get a pegasister as a girlfriend! B)

2.Invite your girlfriend to your house...

3.Tell your parents you like to watch MLP:FiM

This will probably happen(not 100% sure)

Me: Dad i like to watch this show called My little pony Friendship is magic!

Dad: That show sounds like a little girls show....

Me: *Shows Dad The show you saved in your computer*

Dad: Son are you gay?

Me: no...Why?

Dad: Because that show really looks like its for little girls...

Me: Hmmm I get your point BUT! if i was gay why do i have a girlfriend?

Dad:Really!?Does your Girlfriend know you like to watch this kind of show?

Me: Dont know why dont you ask her yourself?

Doorbell: Ring!

Me: Ill get it!

ME: Dad meet my girlfriend!

girlfriend: Hello.

Dad: Miss do you know that my son watches MLP?

Girlfriend: Yes.

Dad:......................................

after that do a brohoof with your girlfriend!!! :lol:

Edited by blindman02

My dad never brings it up, but my mum does. Kinda hurts me in a way, because my mum laughs at me saying it's silly. I mentioned how it's become an internet phenomenon of sorts, but she just gives me a weird look. :(

(edited)

It's becoming an issue for me, but it's not my parents that are the problem, it's my brother. I'm the eldest of three and the younger has taken to the show like Rainbow Dash to reading. (He doesn't look up stuff actively on the internet so the only fan content he gets is through me, which works for me as I can censor all the gore and mature content.) The middle one has . . . not. Unlike the youngest, we're only a few years apart in age and have shared almost everything from Hey Arnold to Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Yeah that's been pretty much my relationship with both of them. (I'm also going into the Army!) Now however, he's gotten older and more than a bit cynical of people while still maintaining an idealistic worldview. (A dangerous combo if you ask me. I have something of the opposite though I'm not promoting one extreme over the other!) I think I could say he's more than a bit "purist." If something is deviant, he's far more likely to condemn it than try to see it's roots and explain it's norms. Not with politics or religion, but with lifestyle choice. Rednecks (his words, not mine!), obese people, homosexuals, Wiccans or other devotees of resurrected practices, and the military in rare cases all fall under his shit-list. He bares no malice, just disinterest. However, he takes it a bit further when not only does he want no association with what he views as negative but won't even entertain investigation of them. He said "It may have been a good show, but the fandom has ruined it for me." and "Lauren Faust is dead to me!" and most gut-wrenching "I hate how there's something we can't share anymore!" When that's an EASILY FIXED DILEMMA! :angry: Why is he so resistant when he has me for assurance? Fan songs? Nothing! Game mods? Zip! Fallout Equestria being longer than War and Peace? If anything, that seemed to actually scare him! I just don't understand why the "this is really good!" status quo that has lead us both to nothing but fun throughout our lives has been resisted so fiercely by him. I am sad, because I feel like he's missing out. :(

Edited by Steel Accord

• 4 weeks later...

I told my mom and she was okay with it but she still feels that its weird. The only time I've told my dad is when he was drunk so now he doesn't remember me saying anything about ponies. I bought a Brony shirt a while back and have since kept it hidden from him. Any ideas on an easy way to bring it to him? (Also while I told him at first he asked if I was gay.)