Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

I didn't tell my dad I'm a brony PER SAY.. but my dad knows I watch the show and like the fandom.. as for my mom she knows I want a Rainbow Dash plushie for my 18th birthday, that's it. So... my parents don't really know I'm a brony.. kind of.

My dad never brings it up, but my mum does. Kinda hurts me in a way, because my mum laughs at me saying it's silly. I mentioned how it's become an internet phenomenon of sorts, but she just gives me a weird look. :(

Same here. When I mentioned getting some merch my mum sorta had a freakout. Not obvious but she looked pretty hesitant :(

• 2 weeks later...

Like a whole lot of things I'm into, they couldn't care less. I just watch it on my phone with earbuds in the living room, once my dad commented. I put in the DVDs if everyone's out, since I know it's not their thing. Kinda just a lifestyle.

Ugg, my mom still has problems with it. The bronycon article on Yahoo helped (the first time her browsing them actually helped something!!!!!) her understand a bit more.

She kind of wants to watch an episode, which makes me nervous. She's a trekie, so I was thinking the "Return of Harmony part 1" and part two if she wants.

the ponies are around my room but I have so many weird and girly things they really just blend in (so much so when my brother was fixing my computer he didn't even notice Pinkie Pie on the desk, though he did turn it away later on so it wasn't looking at him. but even then, they're not even the weirdest collection I have, the BJD's take that cake)

I'm 23 now, as long as I pay the rent when I have a job and keep my stuff clean and out of the way no one ever cares

(except the clowns, they really dislike clowns...and warhammer, my parents think warhammer is a complete waste of time and money, but dolls are cute and are allowed to sit on the main cabinet in the dining room)

figure out the logic in that

I gave my dad a full explanation shortly after BronyCon. I also sent him a video of a panel at BronyCon with Tara Strong, Lauren Faust, and John de Lancie to help give him some background about MLP and bronies. So far he has been intrigued and wants to see more of the show (we've watched up through "The Ticket Master"). Our progress is only stifled by the inability to watch episodes easily and regularly on television. Each time we want to watch MLP, I need to haul my all-in-one computer into his room since my old laptop lacks an HDMI port.

Otherwise, I can't really complain. In fact, I'm quite pleased. :)

I gave my dad a full explanation shortly after BronyCon. I also sent him a video of a panel at BronyCon with Tara Strong, Lauren Faust, and John de Lancie to help give him some background about MLP and bronies. So far he has been intrigued and wants to see more of the show (we've watched up through "The Ticket Master"). Our progress is only stifled by the inability to watch episodes easily and regularly on television. Each time we want to watch MLP, I need to haul my all-in-one computer into his room since my old laptop lacks an HDMI port.

Otherwise, I can't really complain. In fact, I'm quite pleased. :)

You could get an adapter cable for your laptop. They can be pricey though.

You could get an adapter cable for your laptop. They can be pricey though.

I'll need to fuss around with a few things. Generally speaking, my laptop is so old and slow that I don't know how it would even handle playing VLC player. It shouldn't be a problem, but you would be surprised how decrepit my laptop is.

One day I was watching MLP with my friend on the TV in the living room (like an idiot) when all of a sudden wild father appears I had something prepared but my friend Yelled "HE GOT ME INTO THIS!!!!!!11111" and points at me and I lose my poker face and my dad walks off and I try to explain but he wouldn't level. I go out side to explain that most of the people who watch the show are older than me (I'm 13) but he didn't understand the awesomeness of the show so I showed him a survey that showed the gender and age groups of the Brony's and he semi sorta understood. My mom however was perfectly fine with it in fact she doesn't even care. Meanwhile my dad tries to poke fun at me but i deflect it back at him with answers that show how many shits I give that I know that he knows that I like the show.

I haven't told my parents yet. I don't want to be like: "Hey Mom, I watch My Little Pony!" That's just weird...

But I have told both of my sisters about it actually just a couple of days ago. I'm currently working on a fanfic and of course my family starts asking what I'm writing about. At first I said that it's a horror story, my mom and stepdad seemed happy with that, but my sisters kept asking afterwards what it was about and the youngest of them wanted to read it. She is really into writing herself so I thought, what the heck, I let her read it. But I had to explain to her about the characters and the environment first (my fanfic requires you to know about My Little Pony so). I told her about all the characters, Ponyville and Equestria. She laughed when I told her that they were ponies. She asked me why I didn't mention any of this in my story. It is very odd to not describe anything in a story. There and then I came out of my brony closet. I told her that it was based of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. I told her that I watched the show and really liked it. She was really cool about it actually. She wanted me to show her some episodes and didn't think that it was weird at all that I watched it.

My other sister, who is a little bit older, also asked more and more about the story. I told her the same thing that I told my younger sister. At first she just laughed, she thought that I was just trolling or something. But then when she saw that I enjoyed the show. She thought it was very weird, but I told her about the show, explained to her that it wasn't the same as the My little pony she used to watch as a kid. That it was a little bit more "grown up" now. She didn't talk that much about it after that. But then she came into my room and asked me to show her an episode. I started a random episode on youtube. She watched it for about 5 minutes and then she said: "I can really understand why you like it. It has some comedy in it, it's clearly not just for children. But it's not for me."

But I don't trust her, when she watched the show she enjoyed it, but just like most of us she was scared of enjoying it.

I think that some day soon she will come to the herd just like the rest of us ;)

(edited)

I'll need to fuss around with a few things. Generally speaking, my laptop is so old and slow that I don't know how it would even handle playing VLC player. It shouldn't be a problem, but you would be surprised how decrepit my laptop is.

Ahh, okay. Sounds like its time for a total upgrade then, I totally get that. (Computer geek myself. I opted out of a laptop and built a desktop instead since its the better platform and I cant kill it by taking it places. But its lack of portability is annoying at times.)

Edited by Mindrop

(edited)

but just like most of us she was scared of enjoying it.

Similar what my friend said when i showed him an episode he said I not gonna become addicted to that show (or something simalar to that) (i could tell he liked it) and shoved my iPod away when i had the next episode playing. He likes the .Movs

Edited by Dasher
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I told my mom and she said "a brownie?" and I said "no a brony" then I told her what it was. It look like she was thinking the power of the Internet has token over me

Edited by rainbow dash22
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Telling your parents" would imply letting them know that you're a brony without them asking you first, at least in my ears, and I see no reason to tell my parents about that. It's a TV show, I don't tell them about all the stuff I do on the internet.

However, I'm definitely not trying to hide it, and my brother at least knows what a brony is and that I'm one - he saw my RD desktop walkpaper. :ph34r:

Edited by Shaoni

I had no problems with my Mom, My homophobic (REALLY homophobic) Father and his wife. My step-dad is another story. He had a problem with thinking that I liked MLP...

Why does anyone really need to tell or confess they are a brony to anyone, let alone parents? Unless you want to. I don't understand why so many seem so concerned with what others think of them and their likes. Who cares? You're opinion is the only one that counts. As a gay man, I learned that lesson. You can only live the life that makes you happy and you don't have to share everything with everyone, unless you want to. It's up to you. Basically, do what feels right for you and to hell with the rest. Ya know?

I didn't tell My mom She found out when Me My Friend and My Niece were watching it on my Xbox(Thanks to a Firefox Addon that gets me Youtube Video's) She was startled and called me a little Girl... That's some of the reasons why I never tell her anything.

Personally, I didn't tell them. They went into my room to do laundry while I was out, and they saw the pony toys. I got a weird look from my mom, "Son, I know you like cute things, but this...these are little girls' toys. Your sisters used to play with ponies, why are you?" so I just told her I really like the show and they bring a smile to my face. Crisis averted.

She was just getting happy about me not buying hello kitty stuff anymore too.....Oh well, c'mere, wallet! :P

My parents pretty much know and don't really care. ^^ I haven't really said it to them, but i think they know. Meh, I have no idea, to be honest, now that i think about it... ^^

They found out when I asked them to buy me a derpy on eBay my mom originally said "you're not having it it's for babies" which sort of infuriated me but I still got it anyway and the subject hasn't been brought up since.

Well my parents first found out when they caught me sporting a rainbowdash brony bracelet from hot topic... They asked what it was and I sadi its a pony. My mom is smarter than I thought and called me on the rainbow being a gay symbol. I told her that to classify the rainbow as for gays only is almost the same as prejudice. She smiled and said. "You'll make a good lawyer one day... If your father lets you live that long..." Now im trying to learn how to break it to her that im not going to be a lawyer but that I wanna be a Veterinarian...

(Fluttershy, and Steve irwin had significally high influences on that.) Also I have always been good with animals. And terrible with humans... Thats another reason I like MLP so much... they have human features but they're NOT humans... I guess my real life can be summed up in one picture...

post-5326-0-13932000-1343927908.jpg

• Brohoof 2