Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

At some point, I will tell my parents about it. I think the best way to tell them, is the slow approach until your ready to tell them.

Same here. I am not really afraid to tell them its just that I don't really need to do so. Maybe I'll bring it up to them in conversation, but not for a while.

• Brohoof 1

This was simple.

Me- "Mum? Dad? Can I go to Sheffield?"

Dad - "What? Sheffield? that's at the other end of Britain! Why on earth would you want to go there for?"

Me - "Ponies"

Mum - *Blinks* "...Sure?"

Yes.

• Brohoof 1

I originally thought that I would have this issue with my father who is a proud marine and a very stern but hard-working and caring man. I was wrong, he was actually taken back by how much he has seen it improve my additude and outlook on life and how it has helped practically build my self-esteem. While he still makes jokes about his son watching a girls show he knows that I enjoy it and as long as I'm happy, he's happy. My mother is 110% supportive of it and asks to watch the show with me pretty regularly and she gets into it, she's just like Pinkie Pie from the show if you can imagine that lol me and my brony pals watch and talk ponies pretty much every chance we get when work or school isn't harboring us away from each other. You have to be optimistic and open-minded in today's world. Don't let a few haters or close-minded people tell you otherwise and be proud of who you are.

• Brohoof 1

I may tell my parents at some point.

Right now I don't see a need to tell them.

If it comes out unexpectedly I have a plan set up for that. But right now I don't have a plan or need to tell them.

I never really told my parents anything. In fact, only my closest friends were directly told of my bronyhood. When it came to my parents, I just wore a shirt one day and let nature take it's course. 

That's how I take it in all situations. Let them ask first.

As it stands, my mom is curiously perplexed by me being a brony. My dad doesn't even notice. LOL.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

My dad found out one day and I told him about bronies. But he told me he was cool with it. He told me if you like the show then watch it. He also said, "Do I think it's weird? Yes. But am I gonna stop you? No. If you like it then watch it. No ones telling you what you can or cannot watch. It's all good son."

Yeah my dad is pretty awesome.

I gave my mum a quick explanation of bronies on Saturday. I was at an anime con at the weekend and bought some pony art and she'd asked me what I bought. Before I showed her I pretty much said "Y'know how the older My Little Pony was, like, REALLY girly and childish? Well there's a new version now that older people, and even men are watching and it's awesome. They're called 'bronies' and they're awesome too." She was just like "Oh, ok" then I showed her the art I bought, and she said they were cute and that I should frame them for my wall. I mean, she knows I love animation and stuff so I wasn't expecting her to be surprised at ME watching it, but I didn't think she'd be so indifferent to men watching it blink.png

Best excuses I can ever say.

-A girl I know was telling me to watch it, so I tried it out.

-Yeah it's a kids show, but c'mon. One of the characters is as arrogant as I am and another is a freaking DJ. How can I say no?

-I decided to see what all the fuss was about, now I know.

I can use any of those and still keep the fact that I'm still a dude by heart. So I don't knowmabout you guys, but I can say it to them easily

my parents didn't really care, but im a girl so I guess its not a big of a shock as when a guy watches it. 
My mother doesn't care and my father doesn't either. My sister is the reason I watched it in the first place, though I'm a much bigger fan than her. 
Overall, no one minds because "its fine for a girl to watch it"

I plan on telling my brother this week. He watches cartoons so he should be less judgemental. My mum and dad will probably give me a ribbing and constantly make jokes about it.

To those worried, try telling a friend first. The first time you tell someone makes it easier to tell the rest. So what if they respond badly? You know more sorry if this that may come up with you tell others and can work out way to counter them. If it goes well, great! It only gets easier. Take this example of my first time I told a friend.

"Hey, (name hidden for anonymity), I got a secret for you. Can you keep it?"

<Yeah, go for it.>

"You know you use memebase?"

<Yeah. What about it.>

"You ever heard of a Brony?"

<Yeah, it's people who like ponies isn't it?>

"Yeah. You're looking at one right now."

<Really. You like ponies!>

"Yeah."

<Cool Story Bro!>

The first time is the hardest.

My parents are completely cool with it. My mum watched "Mmmystery on the Friendship Express" with me and thought it was awesome, and thinks the brony movement in general is really interesting. My dad thinks its funny and has driven me to shops when I'm desperately looking for new merch, and he's trying to get on in-jokes. I explained the whole Derpy thing to him and now if one of us screws something up we joke that we "did a Derpy Hooves".

My parents are totally cool about it really. :)

I've pretty much just decided i'm not telling them since I don't know how they'll react for sure. I don't really feel its overly nessary for me to tell them anyways, its not really their business what I watch anyways :P.

I'd rather just stay closet brony and not make things complicated.

• Brohoof 1

I've pretty much just decided i'm not telling them since I don't know how they'll react for sure. I don't really feel its overly nessary for me to tell them anyways, its not really their business what I watch anyways tongue.png.

I'd rather just stay closet brony and not make things complicated.

I know my mother will probably just say "Um... that... uh... well then." and then probably drop. My brother would never let me see the end of it because he's a cynical and judgmental bastard and I've no clue how my step-dad would react. My real dad on the other hand has read and enjoyed all of the twilight books so I don't think he'd actually be all that judgmental about it. As for my step-sister, I honestly don't know her well enough as she was adopted at the age of 11 from Russia about four years ago and I don't really get to see my Dad's family as often as I would like. My step mother... well let's just say Cinderella wasn't that far off on how step mothers are evil. So essentially, yeah, I'm in the same boat as you mostly due to my brother.

I know my mother will probably just say "Um... that... uh... well then." and then probably drop. My brother would never let me see the end of it because he's a cynical and judgmental bastard and I've no clue how my step-dad would react. My real dad on the other hand has read and enjoyed all of the twilight books so I don't think he'd actually be all that judgmental about it. As for my step-sister, I honestly don't know her well enough as she was adopted at the age of 11 from Russia about four years ago and I don't really get to see my Dad's family as often as I would like. My step mother... well let's just say Cinderella wasn't that far off on how step mothers are evil. So essentially, yeah, I'm in the same boat as you mostly due to my brother.

I'm actually thinking my brother will be the most accepting, hes already a crazy weirdo and wouldn't really be the type I imagine to find it weird I don't think actually. however he also can bable stuff out and I bet he'd go tell my mom and stepdad and while my mom might be ok with it my stepdad probably won't. Hes like 70 or something so I imagine he won't be as accepting I bet.

My dad idk hes iffy. And as for the few somewhat friends I have I don't think they'll be that accepting.

So yeah I for now think its best I just stay closet brony.

I'm actually thinking my brother will be the most accepting, hes already a crazy weirdo and wouldn't really be the type I imagine to find it weird I don't think actually. however he also can bable stuff out and I bet he'd go tell my mom and stepdad and while my mom might be ok with it my stepdad probably won't. Hes like 70 or something so I imagine he won't be as accepting I bet.

My dad idk hes iffy. And as for the few somewhat friends I have I don't think they'll be that accepting.

So yeah I for now think its best I just stay closet brony.

I've actually taken the steps towards moving away from being a closet brony. I have my computer desktop background set to somewhat obscure pony stuff. It's a slide show of Mane6 + Luna and Celestia cutie marks. I recently ordered an obscure brony shirt and mentioned a close friend that I watched MLP and told him it was pretty good. He reacted quite well and hasn't told anyone. I knew I could trust him :). I set my phone background to a not-so-obvious Rainbow Dash outline and made my emblem on Black Ops II a Rainbow Dash, though I change it to my old one if I know I'm going to be playing with... certain people. Baby steps I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

I've actually taken the steps towards moving away from being a closet brony. I have my computer desktop background set to somewhat obscure pony stuff. It's a slide show of Mane6 + Luna and Celestia cutie marks. I recently ordered an obscure brony shirt and mentioned a close friend that I watched MLP and told him it was pretty good. He reacted quite well and hasn't told anyone. I knew I could trust him smile.png. I set my phone background to a not-so-obvious Rainbow Dash outline and made my emblem on Black Ops II a Rainbow Dash, though I change it to my old one if I know I'm going to be playing with... certain people. Baby steps I suppose.

Well thats good for you :). I might tell a close friend, however I don't have any really IRL anyways.

Baby steps are good for all new things really, to be honest I haven't gone to many steps myself though from being a closet brony for a long while, I basically do whatever I can without having to mention it to anymore or have anyone see it, thats about as far as I go though, I don't think I have any intentions for telling others I'm a brony.

No pony desktop or phone background for me. Closest I've got is a folder I hid in my computer pictures folder code named for my pony pictures. Thats about it. I also draw ponies sometimes secretly. I just switch to another tab or something when someone comes in.

I dunno maybe someday I'll take my baby steps, but for now I don't think i'm moving much of anywhere.

I think that people are making too much of a big deal over this.  They're your parents.  They're not going to disown you or anything over a hobby. 

My dad:  He's pretty much "whatever" - doesn't really care that much about any of my hobbies outside of our common interest in sports, as long as I keep my shit together.  I can imagine the conversation going like this:

Me: Dad, I;m into My Little Pony

Dad:  Do whatever you want, just get a good job and don't be so lazy. 

My mom:  Well, she's always liked watching Disney cartoons and whatnot, and even some anime , so she's noticed me watching watching MLP (or from her perspective, "that show that [my six year old niece/her granddaughter] Miko likes") She seems to think it's all pretty harmless. 

I haven't exactly told my mom yet, but I'm living with my grandparents. My grandma is an almost-Pegasister(I showed her a few episodes, she thinks they're all cute and likes the show, but not enough to be called a true Pegasister) and accepts that I like it. My grandpa doesn't really get it and chuckles whenever I say I'm watching the show, but I think he's fine with it all the same :D

Mom: What are you watching?

Me: Mlp

Mom: mlp????

Me: My little pony...

Mom:.... are you a lesbian?????/?

Why the Hell would she say that? Isn't MLP particularly "girly" so wouldn't it lend itself to being straight? If you were watching Sons of Anarchy I would get what she was saying, but it just seemed kind of odd to draw that conclusion.

I told my mom about it, and she was concerned I was insecure about it. :P Yeah, she was really cool about it, but she's used to my insanity.

However, I wil haven't told my father. He ridiculed me in front of the family for asking for one of the newer Pokemon games for Christmas because he found it too immature. I asked him if he'd rather have me play violent games, and he said, "Yeah, you need to grow up."

Needless to say, that ended my internal debate about telling him I was a brony.

However, I will test the waters. Probably tell him about brownies and ask him what he thinks. That's what I did for my mom, and after I was able to convince her we weren't all gay pedophiles, I told her I was a bring.

• Brohoof 1

My parents both know. My dad kinda laughed, because I was definitely not a MLP fan when I was a kid, so he thought the sudden switch was pretty funny. It actually is kinda funny though, so I don't mind :P. He's totally fine with it, though.

And my mom is a brony now herself. She has more pony merch than I do lol.

• Brohoof 1

My friends know I'm a brony. Hell, my best friend's bro is the one who got me into FiM in the first place. I have at least three brony friends. Most of them are cool about, but the ones who aren't are not even THAT bad about it. But my parents...I probably won't tell them. My mom might know though...since she recently checked my Facebook...where I officially announced my inclusion in this fandom. But, I do not look forward to telling my parents about being a brony. Not because my Mom and Dad will be mean about it, it'll jusy be awkward. They would probably be cool about it. My Dad might playfully tease me, but still. Then again, my Dad is into a lot of "kid stuff." We both watch cartoons together, read comics, and he sometimes builds Lego sets with me. Let's just say he has tattoos of phantom skulls and a tattoo of the Mickey Mouse ears. He loves Mickey Mouse and Spider-Man (who I also love(not in a gay way)). The only reason I don't say anything is because, well, that would be a weird conversation. In other words, they don't know and I don't want them to know.

Edited by PonyCommander