Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

My parents accept it without question, they don't generally question the things I like doing, as long as it's legal and doesn't hinder my studies. My friends all think its cool that I like the show, and they also see why its gotten popular. It's a wonderful atmosphere here... and I'm sorry so many have to fear their own parents...

I've only told my brother, as he understands me more than anyone else. Apart from me. I am, as of yet, to show him any episodes of the show myself, but he was on Bin Weevils, and they were promoting MLP:FiM, so he went to the promotion place, picked up a MLP wallpaper and a Rainbow Dash cardboard cutout for his nest, watched the first episodes, and he said that he liked it. Also, he said that the 'become a fan' thing should've said 'join the herd' or 'become a brony'

It's amazing what you can find in kid's games in the Internet.

Just so you know, the MLP advertising period in that ended a few months ago.

My parents didn't really care that much, they watch lots of cartoons too xD

So that was pretty cool imo...

Although some friends of mine were kinda assholes for a while x)

I really had no problems with my family. Basically they saw my facebook wall and post became flooded with ponies. They asked about me and they said whatever. Same when I told them I was bi. They don't mind as long as I'm not doing anything unsafe or stupid

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, guess what! I was watching Party of One and Lesson Zero again of MLP and my mum watched it as well and she's now a pegasister like me! I don't wanna get you guys jealous but she absolutely LOVED it. :D she said it was amazing and she's gonna watch it everyday! OMC

recap: my father found out that I was a brony because he took my iPad and looked on the Internet. He had accidentally saw the mlp forums opening page. He was fine with me being a brony but I still get chills thinking about it. I haven't told my mom yet because I think she will tell every one I know. All my friends at school are antibronies (hate the living though of Bronies), and I am worried about my family thinking I'm a retard. I feel really bad when I think about everyone who thinks about this stuff because I've lied to them. I don't know what to do. But I stay strong and stay a fan.

Bronies stay strong. Bronies stay friends.

- Rave

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I've been a brony for nearly a year now, my sister knows I'm a brony & she doesn't really care. My parents are divorced so I don't really feel the need to tell my Dad. My Mum doesn't know & has been questioning my sister about my Pony desktop photo's, she has to lie to cover-up me being a brony with things like "Oh it was me" and she seems to be getting pretty mad about having to. Two of my IRL friends are bronies who have also not told their parent's. I've been dropping hints about the fandom & some of them seem to enjoy talking about it (but haven't watched it or know anything about it) and the rest seem to be like "Okay". I'm not sure how my Mum would react when I tell her. My birthday is coming up and I'm REALLY wanting to buy a MLP T-Shirt. Telling my sister was just a massively awkward conversation before I just said "I love MLP". My Mum knows I'm sorta into animation, cartoons, computer things so I'm thinking her reaction wouldn't be to bad...but like Fluttershy I lack some confidence & I'm wanting to hear what everypony else thinks about this.

They were just like, "Okay." Then they blah blah blah'ed more on their phones and went back to work. Honestly, they didn't really care.laugh.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Nobody I know IRL knows I watch the show. I don't really care though. I do drop subtle hints here and there because I'd rather they found out than have to tell them myself. I do the same with my friends, dropping the odd mlp gif in Facebook chats or somehow knowing the name of characters every now and again. Nobody's taken the hint yet though.

So I was in the car yesterday with my family on my way home from a holiday. My little sister has known I'm a brony for almost as long as I've been one, but she's been surprisingly quiet ubout it (something really unusual for her). My older sister found out fairly recently when we decided to go and watch Suicide Squad because she saw my phone background as I was turning it off (it's Cloudsdale with Dash and Fluttershy in the foreground), and she just made a joke about never talking to me again (which was unexpected, previously she'd only made disapproving comments about how weird Bronies were, so I was expecting a lot worse). Anyway, I was listening to music in my headphones when both my sisters made a joke about how I was probably listening to MLP music (they couldn't have been more wrong). My dad heard the joke and was confused so my sisters told him that I was a Brony, my Mum just went 'Oh, cool, and unexpected' while my dad just asked me if it was true, which I said it was. At that he just chuckled and said 'We really are the strangest family.'

All in all, it went better than expected, because I only said 1 word, which was 'yeah'.

• 2 weeks later...

By me, it happened this way :

I have bought myself a Mlp Movie on Vhs and my Father asked me, what in that Package was i got.

I told him, that he probably wouldnt like it, but he insisted that i showed him.

So i showed him and he asked me something like : " Really? Do you really want to watch that? "

I said that i found it cute and said something like " Well, at least im not watching Barbie " as a Joke. ( because i actually like some Barbie Movies as well. XD

Then he said something like : " But Mlp is even worse than that. "

Then i said : " Well, i cant watch Horror Movies all the time. "

Then he laughed. I think he just didnt understand why i watched this. But its okay, i understand that.

I just never talked to him about this anymore because it was clear to me, that he was disappointed for me. XD

My Mother also asked if i would really want to watch Mlp but later she even watched the first Mlp Movie with me and thought it was cute.

But in the end, it didnt really madder that i told them. It didnt change anything. I just could of not told them and everything would be the same.

So, to all Bronys out there : I dont think its necessary to tell your Parents or are you planning on watching the Show together with them?

Because otherwise, i see no Reason, why you have to tell them.

For me, nothing changed, except that i got a confusing look at me. XD

I told my parents while I was getting ready for an anime convention a couple years ago. I was showing them activities at the convention and showed them a pony plush/figure build workshop. After showing them I told them that I liked the show. My mom was completely okay with it and told me if it truly makes me happy, then I should go for it. My dad didn't really say anything so I don't think he had a problem with it. 

Edited by Dynamo Pad

My father's the sort of person who pokes fun at anything that's brightly/pastel-colored with big eyes.  So it didn't come as a surprise to him when I told him I was into MLP, especially since he already knew I was into anime and manga.  His reaction to a show about pastel-colored equines is about the same reaction he would have to something like this.

lisa_frank_9123.JPG

Never told my parents about the existing fandom and I never will. I'm not embarrassed as well since my laptop is right where they can pass by behind me and see vector pony arts on here, Deviant Art, anywhere. I don't believe they would care anyway since they don't know barely any cartoons. My dad however knows Popeye the Sailor and Johnny Bravo but those cartoons were his favorites and my favorites too. Anyway...

I don't bond with my parents through chatting so there is no scenario way where I suddenly go up to them and say "Dad? I like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". It would get weird from there UNLESS....actually...

If there was a MLP fighting, action adventure, co-op shooters game, I'm sure as heck going have to ask my dad that I need that game, and it's awesome with fun and replayable.

I can't see neither me or them going ask and discuss about cartoon ponies but it's weird because I wouldn't mind they figure it out in secrecy from then seeing my laptop from behind me. Also my dad knows about Pokemon lately cause of Pokemon GO. He asked showed me something on his phone and ask me if that's Pokemon GO that been on talked about. I said no I don't think it is. Look like a regular GPS map or something. It was funny but surprising he knows Pokemon GO and I hate and never play Pokemon GO (but he knows I play the handheld Pokemon games in the past)

I think it happened when I was 12 by asking where my old G3 ponies were stacked. They told me that they have absolutely no idea and it'd probably be a better choice to buy those newer ponies instead. So that happened and my collection grew quite big over the years. My parents or relatives haven't made any comments about it and I think that's good. They could've just as well thought of something like "Oh well, she started to collect toys. Not like she hasn't done that before".  :twi:

I never really "told" my parents, they sort of found out by themselves. My dad actually looked it up on Google and found out stuff about it, and my mom already knew what a Brony was (since I'm not the only one in the family) and was already comfortable with the idea. My dad was confused about it at first, and still sort of is, but he's not against it.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I wish it was this simple for me. I mean, I've got it the worst. I'm a thirteen year old BOY. My parents are paranoid about me being on devices and I'm currently using my sisters phone to watch mlp in secret at 12:00, I steal mashem 

On 20 March 2013 at 6:42 PM, Flxpturn said:

The fandom's pretty web-versed, so my own parents didn't know what they were before I told them about it. When I first told my mother, she laughed and said "Really?" I explained some more about how it wasn't all dress-them-up and brush-their-hair like in the 80's, and that it was really well written and animated - I said "It's like Dexter's Lab". She saw what I meant, and hasn't had any issues with it at all. 

My dad found out through my mother, and I'm not sure what he thinks of it. I know he knows because he came in and we had the following conversation:

Dad: Hey Benoit, good day?

Me: Yeah, thanks.

Dad: I might buy you a My Little Pony later.

Me: That'd be great.

Dad: Cool.

Then he left. Still waiting for the pony. tongue.png There hasn't been much talk about it from my parents other than that, so yeah. They're cool with it. My mother has often spotted me on this forum, or on my Pinkie Pie-themed Facebook, and will only ever say "Oh yeah, those Little Ponies. Cute." 

I wish it was this simple for me. I mean, I've got it the WORST. I'm a 13 year old boy, I am using my sisters old phone that I stole to watch mlp at 12:00, I steal mashem mlp figures from shops, everybody at school knows I am a briny and my parents are finding out the hard way. It's depressing. I need help as to how to break it to them. Eventually I'll have to. It frustrates me soooo much! I keep seeing plushie rainbow dashes in shops and would give anything to buy it but I can't with my parents following me around and breathing down my neck. Help.

• 3 years later...

scoots_by_spier17_d6yjrcs-pre.png?token=

On 11/17/2011 at 3:28 AM, Matt Reverse said:

My mom saw this website in my favorites and asked me why. She told "If you're liking My Little Pony, I'll send you to a doctor or a psychiatrist."

I told it was an accident and didn't has the bravery to told her ever since.

At first, they were pretty shocked at me because they thought I had regressed and was now watching something really childish. :twismile: But fast forward a year-and-a-half and now, my mother and I watch episodes every week together and she has become quite the fan! (Spike’s her favourite!) :BornAgainBrony: 

They are now completely accepting of it and now that they know what a brony is, they understand its appeal so much more! :wub:

• Brohoof 4