Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

My mom saw this website in my favorites and asked me why. She told "If you're liking My Little Pony, I'll send you to a doctor or a psychiatrist."

I told it was an accident and didn't has the bravery to told her ever since.

What does she expect the doctor/psychaiatrist do about it? They cant make you stop watching and liking it :
  • Brohoof 2

My mom doesn't give a crap one way or the other. I tell her daily that I like MLP and she just shakes her head at me and rolls her eyes, but always with a smirk on her face so I know it's not out of malice. She just thinks I'm weird, in a good way. :P

Though I like the Powerpuff Girls thing Crispy said. I've always leaned on Slendermane's approach about it reminding me of an old cartoon like Looney Tunes. It really does.

I never told my parents though I'm sure my mom wouldn't care, but my dad would give me some strange looks.

A friend of mine asked me about it when he noticed I flooded his Tumblr news feed with various Pony stuff. There were the initial jokes, but I told him that it's like Powerpuff Girls. He got the comparison.

I feel that seems to work with people who are familiar with cartoons. When PPG came out I didn't notice how girly it was, none of my friends did! When I tell them FiM (I feel it's easier to omit the "My Little Pony" title) is sort of the same, but for a slightly younger audience the problem is resolved. Well that's just explaining the cartoon!

When I have to defend Bronies I state that we are more than fans of a girl's show. We are a close nit friendly community!

What to do to avoid maximum freakoutocity™

Scenario one: Parents say "It's a Kid's show"

Answer: "Well, I feel like I haven't gotten the full 'Childhood' thing out of my system yet, and I wanna watch a good cartoon with an excellent moral!"

Most they can do is tell you to grow up, to which you can respond with "I'm trying my best, you're not helping"

Personally, I believe that you are never too old to enjoy kid's stuff. My mom, 47 years old, still watches kids shows daily. I do the same too. I don't understand the thinking "it's for kids and you shouldn't like it" since I've always felt that you can never be too old for anything, though you can certainly be too young for some things.

But let me add that I also believe it's not a good thing to not be childish at all no matter your age. If you are trying to be a hardass your entire life you aren't gonna get nearly as much enjoyment out of life as someone who embraces the joys of having the heart of a child and the mind of an adult.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 4

I have told both my parents. My mom's just rolling with it, although she finds it weird, but my dad, who I only visit every other weekend, thinks it's stupid and I shouldn't be watching it. Of course he has never watched an episode, nor even try to watch one, because he is as stubborn as a mule when his mind is made up. So all I do is tone down the ponies when I visit him, and things work out ok.

It went like this:

Dad: Do you have to record this? (Tivo recording MLP)

Me: YES

Dad: *sigh* fine...

(I come in and put the show on)

Dad: Do you have to watch this?

Me: YES

Dad: *sigh* fine...

Dad: (stays and watches the TV anyway)

Considering I took an 8 hour rode trip with some friends to go to a My Little Pony fair a few years ago, I don't think my parents were actually surprised when I started watching the show.

• Brohoof 4

I don't live at home anymore, so yeah....

Buuuut, my husband came home one day and caught me watching it. It was actually the first day I had decided to watch it so I wasn't hiding it or anything. Anyhow, he gives me funny looks and teases me (playfully, not meanly) about watching it. He actually said that he gets why I like the show, but he doesn't understand why people are so obsessed with it and why it's such a huge phenomenon.

• Brohoof 1

My parents both know my brother, sister, and I (along with two other siblings that are only watching it to copy us) watch the show.

It's just one of those things that come up every now and again whenever someone says a pony quote, or even mentions My Little Pony.

Dinner:

Brother: Pass the Parmesan.

Me: Is that a challenge?

Brother: What do you have in mind?

Mom: What are you talking about?

AnnoyingLittleBrotherOnlyWatchingToCopyUs: It's My Little Pony I think. (followed by a very bad attempt at singing the theme song, only getting to the "Aaaaaah"... part)

Mom: I'll never understand why you watch that show...

Or even when we're at the store and she see's me focused intently on something on the shelves.

Mom: Find something interest---

*looks at what I'm looking at*

NO.

It's not really that they disprove of what I like, but more of a "we know you like it... but we really don't care"

Edited by Fghik
  • Brohoof 2

My father found out about it through the pony club I'm trying to start at my school. It was a bit awkward when I first told him the name of the show and he had that "Seriously?" kind of look. He seems to be cool with me watching and loving the show though (no bad comments about my pony poster and ringtone thus far). He's 47, so I didn't really expect him to catch on this huge Internet explosion of pony immediately. But, explaining the show to a person who has the "frilly girly girl" impression of My Little Pony is a bit hard. I essentially told him what I personally got out of the show (becoming a happier person, valuing my relationships more, awesome music, etc.), and he seemed to understand it. Even if he hated the show, I'm sure he would respect the fact that I have the balls to openly, and proudly, say: "I love My Little Pony."

tl;dr: When trying to explain "Why ponies" in general, I think it's easier to focus on what you get out of the show rather than defending the show itself.

Edited by Kodiak
  • Brohoof 1

My father found out about it through the pony club I'm trying to start at my school. It was a bit awkward when I first told him the name of the show and he had that "Seriously?" kind of look. He seems to be cool with me watching and loving the show though (no bad comments about my pony poster and ringtone thus far). He's 47, so I didn't really expect him to catch on this huge Internet explosion of pony immediately. But, explaining the show to a person who has the "frilly girly girl" impression of My Little Pony is a bit hard. I essentially told him what I personally got out of the show (becoming a happier person, valuing my relationships more, awesome music, etc.), and he seemed to understand it. Even if he hated the show, I'm sure he would respect the fact that I have the balls to openly, and proudly, say: "I love My Little Pony."

tl;dr: When trying to explain "Why ponies" in general, I think it's easier to focus on what you get out of the show rather than defending the show itself.

My dad is 47 too, but is quite accepting of what I do, as long as I have a valid reason for it. He was fine with it after I sent him this, and I think a little proud that I would go so far to stand up for what I believed.

My dad is 47 too, but is quite accepting of what I do, as long as I have a valid reason for it. He was fine with it after I sent him this, and I think a little proud that I would go so far to stand up for what I believed.

I actually love that first article you posted about "Why Grown-Ass Men Love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much." It feels like such a complete and basic summary of bronies and the show that it makes me want to memorize parts of it to use when telling people.

I actually love that first article you posted about "Why Grown-Ass Men Love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much." It feels like such a complete and basic summary of bronies and the show that it makes me want to memorize parts of it to use when telling people.

I actually did memorize parts of it! But usually, people just knock me off as a weirdo from the start, and don't have the patience for me to summarize the whole thing, so I end up emailing them a link. Edited by Ice

I personally bow to you all for being able to tell your parents. I don't think my dad/mom would react to it well, and my ass of a brother would probably just make fun of me for it...

trust me, they screw with me everyday.

But you guys make it better c:

• Brohoof 4

I haven't told my parents yet... But I went to my sister once about it and asked her to watch the Know Your Meme video on it, she stopped it halfway though and said "its seven minutes, im borrreddd."

I also brought it up at dinner time. My sister said "what's a bronie?" Normal reaction: i panicked. i said i would search it up after tea. I ran upstairs and went on the computer for half an hour and came out with a result. i said "its men who watch mlp fim" and my mum and sister laughed, while looking at me sweating and visibly shaken. I think they forgot about it but i also think they are on to me. HELP.

I haven't told my parents yet... But I went to my sister once about it and asked her to watch the Know Your Meme video on it, she stopped it halfway though and said "its seven minutes, im borrreddd."

I also brought it up at dinner time. My sister said "what's a bronie?" Normal reaction: i panicked. i said i would search it up after tea. I ran upstairs and went on the computer for half an hour and came out with a result. i said "its men who watch mlp fim" and my mum and sister laughed, while looking at me sweating and visibly shaken. I think they forgot about it but i also think they are on to me. HELP.

Doesn't sound like too bad of a situation to me. Them finding out is not always a bad thing, I'm sure they will be surprised but if they are accepting then surely it will be for the better and you won't have to hide your ponies ;)