Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t think ill mention it to anyone at least for a while, including parents, for the sake of being viewed differently and awkwardness. I’m positive that they would pull a WTF and never understand, and I’m sure I’d get shit for it, but oh well, I’m already very independent.

All of my family knows (and are fine with it) except my dad but he'll probably find out when he comes over for Christmas and sees my brushables. I'm not sure how he'll react but I don't really care either. The worst that will happen is he'll worry about me or something.

I may tell my parents, but I hope it doesn't go like how it went when I told an ex-friend of mine.

*Bronies are brought up in conversation*

Me:I'm a brony.

Friend: WHAT?!

Me:Yeah.

Friend: What the fuck, you homo?

Me:I'm not a homo, man.

Friend:Why do you watch the show, then?

Me:It's like the Powerpuff Girls.

Friend: You watched that?

Me:Yeah...

Friend: You Satan worshiping homo.

Me:I love you too buddy.

*I leave the (XboxLIVE) party*

I haven't had any contact with my parents since I became a fan of the show, so this was never an issues for me,

but when I told my friends they laughed.

Some asked me if I was ever going to grow-up, and others were like 'that's so Kat' ~

• Brohoof 1

Neither of my parents have ever heard of the show. If I told them I'm a brony, my mom wouldn't really mind, but my dad would have more of an opinion on it. It is quite possible that he calls me a 'zai nan', which in mandarin kind of means "someone who sits by the computer and game/watch vids all day and have no life and have no intentions to get one." Some of the questions that may come up are:

1.) When did you find the time to watch this?

He would ask this because I'm generally quite a busy person; I have lots of things going on each day, including homework. I could tell him that I finished all my homework/piano/violin on the weekends and watched a few episodes. (The truth is that I started watching DURING the week I had my semester exams.)

2.) Is this show any good?

I could say that the animations are good, there is always a moral at the end of the story, and the show is generally just fun. He would just say "ok" and walk away. However if I also told my dad that the characters are cute :) (well isn't that part of the reason we all watch the show?), he might start to question whether I was a "zai nan" (like I have explained above). My dad certainly won't ask me whether I'm gay or not, since he knows I did have a few girls I liked at school.

3.) Are you sure you want to buy this?

This might be asked if I was one day in a toy store and wanted some pony merchandise. I guess in this case I would have to refer to case two and explain to him why I like the show before I plan on buying ponies.

I know my parents won't give me hell, because my mom doesn't rage over small issues such as watching MLP, and my dad doesn't usually get very mad at me at all, so I suppose I don't have too much to worry about.

Edited by The Pinkie Eye
  • Brohoof 2

I went to the store with my parents holiday shopping, and I got Sobadnomad some MLP stuff! It was great! I paid for it but it was in their cart while we were shopping xD

I loved standing in the isle when the other parents were buying stuff and I was looking at the MLP merch going "what?! Most of these aren't on the show! Oh come on! That isn't even close to here hair style. Well at least they got the box art like the show. Man, if I didn't love this show so much.... Idk what I would do!"

First my mother thought I was joking when I said it, then I convinced her I wasn't kidding, she's amused by it. Then I told my father and he has kind of a "whatever" kind of feeling to it. Really it's not an issue between them, thank goodness. It's just kind of accepted as the idea of a phase in my life, which is perfectly reasonable.

My dad laughed like the guy on spiderman who owns the bugle daily. Mom didn't really care. Sister is annoyed of me cause I mention it to her so much. My friend is currently being "turned". At first he was like "Your weird" but I've started to play pony memes around him and his started to laugh at them.

Family has accepted it though because I'm more cheerful and not as rude. LOL

Edited by Diamond Dash

to put it this way, I'm not gonna go over to my dad and tell him, Hi I watch mlp, that would just be too weird :P but if he ask, I would tell him :P

Edited by Flutterfry

Mine was more along the lines of "You watch MLP?" "Yeah, but not the one you're thinking of. Think Powerpuff Girls." "Huh. Okay then."

Subject dropped. My parents are pretty cool.

That pretty much sums up what happened with me too!

You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself ice, and your father shouldn't judge you so hard. When I said I was a brony/furry to my parents they were upset at first, but later they dealt with it. Oh, sometimes I catch my mother watching the show when she doesn't have anything else to do in the morning. :D

• Brohoof 2

You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself ice, and your father shouldn't judge you so hard. When I said I was a brony/furry to my parents they were upset at first, but later they dealt with it. Oh, sometimes I catch my mother watching the show when she doesn't have anything else to do in the morning. :D

If I could give you a cookie, I would.

• Brohoof 2

Probably not going to tell my parents until they bring up the topic, but my guess is it will be like the time I talked to my friend.

I'm trying to remember this one conversation with a close friend of mine:

(Just two teenage guys who play Call of Duty really)

We were chatting on Xbox Live

Me: I just became a brony the other day. The show is amazing.

Friend: What's a brony?

Me: A guy who's a fan of My Little Pony.

Friend: *laughs* That's gay. Why would you watch that?

Me: That's what I said! But it's weird, I mean the plots and character design are so interested and have this teenage humor to them. The ponies themselves just look so..cute..

Friend: Cute?

Me: I don't know dude it's just surprisingly a cool show.

Friend: Huh. Well maybe I'll check it out.

Me: *Changes topic*

And to this day, he is brony.

REMEMBER THIS, the key to convincing someone it's a good show is to tell them you were once a hater.

Edited by Zero
  • Brohoof 1

Well, my parents bought me and my brother toys of our favourite ponies (Rarity and Fluttershy respectively) for Christmas, and it was talked about at Christmas dinner, so I think it's safe to say my parents know and don't care/mind! :D

My mum did jokingly say that people who liked the show are "sad", but she says the same of people who play video games, or watch Star Trek. My dad owns every episode of Star Trek (and I think all the movies) on DVD, including the animated series, so he really can't hold the high ground when it comes to nerdy cultural obsessions.

• Brohoof 2

My mom just found out yesterday that i watch mlp and she seemed okay with it after i explained a little bit about the show. It went better than I expected, which was good.

Sweet dude, glad that your mom was so understanding :) I wish my parents understood half the stuff I try to tell them sometimes...

I told my mom and she thought I was crazy. I explained about the world building and the writing and the jokes, and she thought it was awesome.

I told my dad and he thought I was crazy. I explained about the world building and the writing and the jokes, and he thought I was crazy. After a couple months, he still thinks I'm crazy, but he has asked to watch an episode.

I guess he's crazy too.

• Brohoof 2