Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mane 6...sizes?

applejock

First time poster, brony since age six (born in83 so gen1..bring bck sea ponies!) My question is this to the herd. Do my eye decieve or are the mane six differnt sizes? Rar e. Seems lean and the mighty pinkalot a bit round.

(edited)

One could assume differences by inference of their character types. For example, one could imagine that while the characters use identical model bases (and are scaled up and down in size relative to their distance from the camera), Rarity could be interpreted as petite due to her nature, and Rainbow Dash and Applejack of much more athletic builds. However this makes no discernible impact on the actual viewing of the show.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

They have identical models in show.

My headcanon has them all being somewhat differentiated though.

Pinkie being  chubby (especially considering Faust's opinions on body image), AJ being muscular, and bigger the the other girls, but not at all thin, Twilight being scrawny and a little out of shape, Fluttershy being the tallest, but also waifishly thin (seriously, supermodel without losing weight, in human terms we're talking 5'10 90lbs), Rainbow having around 1% body fat but tall enough to look AJ in the eye, Rarity being the smallest, but still curvy.

Edited by nightseraph
  • Brohoof 4

Your eye does indeed deceive you, but I believe that it's due to their characterizations simply making your brain perceive their bodies differently. For example, since Rarity is supposed to be beautiful and elegant, your eye fools you into thinking she's skinnier and curvier, whereas Pinkie, with her excessive cake eating and upbeat personality, may seem a little chubbier. Same with the others; their personality, their behavior, and also their colors make you perceive them differently.

Interesting really, as it happens to me also.

Maybe their mane and tail styles make them look different in size as well? Pinkie's curly, puffed up mane might make her look chubbier. Fluttershy sort of drowns in her long, voluminous mane.

It's like one of those visual illusions where you're supposed to guess which circle is the largest. They're both the same size, but surrounding objects deceive your eyes.

I know that they have the same model, but I still think Rarity looks tall and elegant, Pinkie chubby, Fluttershy skinny, AJ well defined, Rainbow Athletic and Twilight "normal" :D

Yeah, I definitely get the impression that they're different, despite the identical models in most cases. Especially Fluttershy, since her filly model is so skinny. Plus there's this unique frame of her looking skinny as an adult as well:

post-9686-0-58078600-1369263409_thumb.jpg

My general impressions are,

Twilight: Not very muscular, but healthy weight. More evenly distributed rather than curvy.

Applejack: Very muscular, particularly in the hips/hind legs. Probably the heaviest of the bunch.

Rainbow: Lean muscular. Wiry type, much like myself, where exercise makes the muscles stronger and slightly more defined, but not much actual size increase.

Fluttershy: Natural anorexic look, even if she eats plenty.

Pinkie: A little chubby. Soft, but not fat. In pretty good shape from all her pronking around town.

Rarity: Healthy weight, curvy body type. Probably not much muscle and has to watch what she eats due to her lack of exercise.