Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people often gender assign all cats as females?

Scootaloodle

1 minute ago, Porrot said:

Cats are hygenic and dignified, like women...

Dogs are smelly and sniff butts and hump things. Just like men.

(I'm only half-serious.)

Plus, cats are independent, like physically female humans/otherkin.

As for dogs... My mind just drew a blank.

24 minutes ago, Porrot said:

Totally wrong. Birds are extremely intelligent.

Do you know what metacognition is?

I never insulted their cognitve ability, they can be extremely intelligent

Yknow it's funny that I've always been the opposite way; I've wondered a few times why I always regard cats as male. If I don't know the gender I think "Awe look at him..." Strange. :twi:

It could have something to do with cats spending most of their time in and around the house, just like most women did before the 20th century. 

5 minutes ago, Gestum said:

It could have something to do with cats spending most of their time in and around the house, just like most women did before the 20th century. 

I don't know if that's true. Most outdoor cats I know tend to spend most of the time away from the house. 

Just now, Yamet said:

I don't know if that's true. Most outdoor cats I know tend to spend most of the time away from the house. 

Most outdoor cats I know never goes that far away from the house. 

But I could be wrong.

I think because of the "Crazy cat lady" stereotype that is assigned to some cat owners with a lot of cats, especially if that owner is a women. If the owner is a women, it is probably just assumed that the cats are also all females, though that's obviously not true. 

19 hours ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Do you know what metacognition is?

I never insulted their cognitve ability, they can be extremely intelligent

Eh... sorry. I only have a very vague grasp on that concept (metacognition.) I just couldn't resist jumping in and being kinda rude... a lot of people think birds are dumb, and they're not, and I am a bit too aggressive when defending them (birds and their intelligence.) No offence intended.

2 hours ago, Porrot said:

Eh... sorry. I only have a very vague grasp on that concept (metacognition.) I just couldn't resist jumping in and being kinda rude... a lot of people think birds are dumb, and they're not, and I am a bit too aggressive when defending them (birds and their intelligence.) No offence intended.

Metacognition, unlike the usual level of cognitive ability, allows for the thinking of what manner one goes about thinking rather than sticking to one thought process built around pure instinct. Birds can't do this, but their way of thinking is very unique and intellectually astonishing. I am especially intrigued by how predatory birds go about killing their prey. Very calculated and precise.

23 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Metacognition, unlike the usual level of cognitive ability, allows for the thinking of what manner one goes about thinking rather than sticking to one thought process built around pure instinct. Birds can't do this, but their way of thinking is very unique and intellectually astonishing. I am especially intrigued by how predatory birds go about killing their prey. Very calculated and precise.

Is this an example of metacognition? BTW, predatory birds are pretty dumb. Parrots and crows are almost like human children in intelligence.

(Tool use in birds deserves a mention.)

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Porrot said:

Is this an example of metacognition? BTW, predatory birds are pretty dumb. Parrots and crows are almost like human children in intelligence.

(Tool use in birds deserves a mention.)

Well, that's basic pattern-recognition, logic really. You kind of need to be able to identify patterns to survive in the wild. Even machines have logic-boards to detect patterns in inputs to decide on an output based on their programming. But metacognition is like thinking about your own thinking. That bird never questioned why she was learning the language, she just wanted attention and food. We can question our own thought process. Humans, chimpanzees, and dolphins can all do this. Birds can't.

And predatory birds are genious. Snowy owl, for example, utilize flight timings coupled with 3-dimmensional sound recognition to know exactly where their quarry is located, and immediately can be in that direction without even thinking about it, mid-flight. Simply genious

Most people don't pay enough attention to see the differences in between animals being male or female beyond seeing their giblets which often aren't visible because A. Usually surgically removed, and B. They're low to the ground so the nether region isn't the most visible, so the pet's gender is associated with the owner, and women are more likely to have cats than men. Also with dogs for when they're seen outside, the color of a leash and collar might indicate it's gender, where as a cat might not be wearing either.

17 hours ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Well, that's basic pattern-recognition, logic really. You kind of need to be able to identify patterns to survive in the wild. Even machines have logic-boards to detect patterns in inputs to decide on an output based on their programming. But metacognition is like thinking about your own thinking. That bird never questioned why she was learning the language, she just wanted attention and food. We can question our own thought process. Humans, chimpanzees, and dolphins can all do this. Birds can't.

And predatory birds are genious. Snowy owl, for example, utilize flight timings coupled with 3-dimmensional sound recognition to know exactly where their quarry is located, and immediately can be in that direction without even thinking about it, mid-flight. Simply genious

Eh... I think I see what you're saying. No point in arguing over this. Nevermind, no offence intended. I think it's hard to prove avian intelligence, and some people are (understandably)  sceptical.

I'm more amazed that it bothers people that people misgender animals who have no concept of gender at all anyway. Are we really running this low on things to be annoyed by?

Cats tend to possess more feminine traits. Smooth, sleek, graceful, elegant, reserved.

In contrast to dogs, who have more masculine traits. Big, strong, energetic, rambunctious, rough, protective. 

• 11 months later...

Cats appear to be more feminine while dogs appear to be more masculine. Cats are sleek and sassy while dogs are large and loud. 

• Brohoof 1

Never heard of this trope. I think there is a difference between male and female cats in the way they behave.

• 1 year later...