Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You Ever Get Favorite Pony Bias?

Shanks

(edited)

So many of us get favorite pony bias every now and then, I have had quite a few cases of it myself. Though my favorite is technically a three way tie between Applejack, Luna and Twilight it is Applejack where the favorite pony bias tends to run the strongest with me in large part because she is the one of the most underrated characters I have seen in any show in a long while.

Case in point was when I read through KeyGears resignation letter the other day and noticed that he request people not compare him to Applejack because he didn't push himself too hard because he felt obligated to but because he wanted to. When I read that particular part of my favorite pony bias clicked in an I thought "hey wait a minute" but I kept that at bay as I typed up my response as I figured it was a topic for another day. But then I thought about it for a little bit and though I am still not in full agreement with it I kind of understand where he was coming from.

Applejack has often pushed herself because she has felt obligated to do so, case in point was Applebuck Season where she refused to accept help no matter how exhausted and overworked she was until the very end. And The Last Roundup where she took a job with Cherry Jubilee because she didn't win the prize money to fix town hall and refused to come back home until she came up with the money. Of course this obligation comes from a good place as Applejack has a strong sense of honor and has high personal standards which of course there is nothing wrong with even if those applications of it were taking things a bit far.

To say that Applejack always does this though I don't believe is entirely accurate as she has clearly demonstrated many times throughout the show she loves her work. Sure Applebucking may not be the most glamorous profession as Applejack I am sure is aware of but it is clearly her calling.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 7

I don't have pony bias! I merely know who is best pony... rainbow dash of cours! But to be honest, everyone has favorite pony bias, I bet even lauren faust has a favorite ...*cough* dashie *cough*.

• Brohoof 1

I think it is impossible for someone to not be biased on their favorite character. I mean my favorite ponies are Twilight and Fluttershy because I relate to them so much. My runner ups are Applejack and Scootaloo for the same reason.

I have a bias towards Luna, even though I tried not to have a favorite pony. I really tried loving them all equally but I think everyone is bound to form at least a little bias towards one pony eventually. It's not like I consciously decided that Luna was my favorite pony, it just happened naturally.

I wuv woona /)^3^(\

I have favorite ponies but unlike other people my favorite characters aren't the ones I can relate with. I just like certain personalities more than others. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I have favorite ponies but unlike other people my favorite characters aren't the ones I can relate with. I just like certain personalities more than others.

It is a bit of both with me, I like Applejack both because I relate very strongly to her and because I like the type of characters that tell it like it is and shoot straight from the hip because I find them very interesting. And family is important to me so I really like the strong relationships Applejack has with family. And same goes for Luna, I know what it is like to struggle to fit and I love a good redemption story and I think that characters with a little mystery to them can be very interesting if done right and Luna is a good example of this.

(edited)

Although I have Twilight listed as best pony on my profile, it feels kinda strange to say it. I love all the Mane 6 personalities exactly for who they are. That holds true for a number of other ponies too (albeit not as strongly yet; need to see more of 'em).

I relate most to Twilight, and enjoy the symbolism surrounding her, but picking a favorite feels strange when they're all so wonderfully developed (and are the "elements" that play into her character). I wouldn't want them any other way happy.png

I can't wholeheartedly say anything other than, "I love them all" smile.png

Edited by Starlight Sky
  • Brohoof 2

Although I have Twilight listed as best pony on my profile, it feels kinda strange to say it. I love all the Mane 6 personalities exactly for who they are. That holds true for a number of other ponies too (albeit not as strongly yet; need to see more of 'em).

I relate most to Twilight, and certainly enjoy the symbolism surrounding her, but picking a favorite feels strange when they're all so wonderfully developed. I wouldn't want them any other way ^_^

I can't wholeheartedly say anything other than, "I love them all" :)

I never said I didn't like all of them, I just like some more then others. I just relate to, and like dash the most. She is just so awsome!

(edited)

I never said I didn't like all of them, I just like some more then others. I just relate to, and like dash the most. She is just so awsome!

I never said that you didn't like all of 'em tongue.png   Just posting on how I can't decisively choose a "best pony". Twilight symbolizes magic (which fascinates me the most), but the rest of the Mane 6 play into that allure (as they are the "elements" that produce the magic). As both characters and embodiments of the elements, it isn't possible for me to pick one.

Edited by Starlight Sky

Plots that I would find boring with Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie suddenly become fascinating with Applejack. An action that would be normal from any other pony immediately becomes adorable/funny/cool when Applejack does it. If somebody degrades my favorite pony (or certain highly underrated Rainbow Dash episode) in an otherwise enjoyable essay, I find myself hesitant to brohoof it. Any fanfic starring her attracts my interest, as do fanart, music, and PMVs. 

Yeah, might have a bit of a favorite pony bias.

• Brohoof 4

I'd say Rarity except.. her episodes are few and excellent so its hard to say biased. I'll tolerate lesser quality in fanfics with Rarity.

For Pinkie I have the opposite problem. She just feels stale to me so often, so I have unfair standards.

NO. ANYTHING THAT MAY SEEM LIKE RABID FANBOYING IS MERELY ENTHUSIASTIC RECOGNITION OF OBJECTIVE AMAZINGNESS.

Eh. Yeah. I'm much more likely to find Dash's faults endearing than those of other characters, for one. I'm also much more likely to stick up for her when I feel that she's being unfairly criticized, and to track down countless pieces of fanart featuring her. Heck, I often find myself staring at what she's doing in the background of a scene and have to redirect my attention to what is actually happening. 

• Brohoof 4

NO. ANYTHING THAT MAY SEEM LIKE RABID FANBOYING IS MERELY ENTHUSIASTIC RECOGNITION OF OBJECTIVE AMAZINGNESS.

Eh. Yeah. I'm much more likely to find Dash's faults endearing than those of other characters, for one. I'm also much more likely to stick up for her when I feel that she's being unfairly criticized, and to track down countless pieces of fanart featuring her. Heck, I often find myself staring at what she's doing in the background of a scene and have to redirect my attention to what is actually happening.

yeah, I know what you mean about the unfair criticism thing. I ofter run into people who would go as far as to call dash a b****! I find no end to the hate she receives, like she commited a crime or something, unless awsomness is a crime that is. I know for a fact, every brony favours at least one pony above the rest, but they don't have to be jealous of dash's awsomness.

yeah, I know what you mean about the unfair criticism thing. I ofter run into people who would go as far as to call dash a b****! I find no end to the hate she receives, like she commited a crime or something, unless awsomness is a crime that is. I know for a fact, every brony favours at least one pony above the rest, but they don't have to be jealous of dash's awsomness.

*Jealous of Applejack's awesomeness

That's the thing about the favorite bias. RD is my second favorite pony, but she would never, could never be as cool as Applejack in my eyes. People can dislike characters for reasons that baffle fans of that character, and it's not out of jealousy.

I'm pretty sure nobody is jealous of Applejack simply being far more fantastic than the rest of her friends except for Applejack fans themselves, for instance.

• Brohoof 2

*Jealous of Applejack's awesomeness

That's the thing about the favorite bias. RD is my second favorite pony, but she would never, could never be as cool as Applejack in my eyes. People can dislike characters for reasons that baffle fans of that character, and it's not out of jealousy.

I'm pretty sure nobody is jealous of Applejack simply being far more fantastic than the rest of her friends except for Applejack fans themselves, for instance.

I understand what you mean, but I'm not talking jealous fans of other ponies. I'm talking people who hate her enough as to hate her personality and act like she's nothing but a selfless, shallow, jerk. It can get annoying to hear people bring down dash like that, but I (usually) don't argue back.
  • Brohoof 1

I am extremely biased about Pinkie Pie. I sometimes think she can do no wrong, and it bothers me if someone puts her down. Honestly, I don't feel at all like that about any other pony in the show.

And I find that a bit strange.........

I'm obviously a bit biased for Applejack. If I see another member on the forum criticizing her or saying something that I feel I can prove wrong, I will. Like when people say she's useless, boring, never learns lessons, has no episodes, or other ridiculous claims like that. I don't care if Applejack isn't the favorite pony of most people, but I admit, it bothers me a little bit to see people actually hate on her for silly reasons. (Like being country, having an accent, or not being as quirky as the others.)

In almost any poll, I will vote for her regardless of whether or not I think she should win the poll, because she's Applejack and I feel she needs more love and support. When it comes to fan stuff, I'm always inclined to spend more time on all things Applejack related, and I love forum topics about Applejack because I can talk about her all day long. Brohoofing any and ALL posts that praise Applejack in some way? Guilty as charged.

Any episode that stars Applejack or features her heavily will become an instant favorite of mine. Probably why I actually liked SPike At Your Service when others didn't.

• Brohoof 8

Heck, I often find myself staring at what she's doing in the background of a scene and have to redirect my attention to what is actually happening. 

I have done that quite a bit with Applejack and with my favorite background pony Derpy as well of course.

I'm talking people who hate her enough as to hate her personality and act like she's nothing but a selfless, shallow, jerk.

I personally cringe whenever people go out of their way to hate on anypony, although I have my favorites I don't think anypony except for Snips and Snails is "worst pony". I will admit thought that while I was never a hard core Rainbow Dash hater I had some bias against Rainbow Dash at first and I think much of it was because on a subconscious level I knew that her and Applejack have a lot in common but I resented the fact that Rainbow Dash was so much more popular than Applejack and got much more attention in the show. After Sleepless in Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy though Dashie moved up to my 3rd favorite and then to my 2nd favorite pony.

I also had some bias at first against Rarity though unlike Rainbow Dash I actually didn't like her though I didn't hate her anywhere near as much as the friend who introduced me to ponies does. I just found her primadonna attitude incredibly annoying and though I don't agree with the way she is written in many episodes she has started to grow on me a bit more.

I'm obviously a bit biased for Applejack. If I see another member on the forum criticizing her or saying something that I feel I can prove wrong, I will.

I suppose what bothers me the most is the whole argument about Applejack being the "boring one" which did go down a bit after some much overdue screen time in season 3 but is still fairly common. Applejack to me is proof that you can take even the most ordinary seeming character and still make them interesting and compelling, I think there is a great deal of untapped potential in Applejack which the writers have only begun to tap into and I hope to see a bit more of in season 4.

Any episode that stars Applejack or features her heavily will become an instant favorite of mine. Probably why I actually liked SPike At Your Service when others didn't.

It is for that reason that for a good while I didn't have a favorite Applejack episode because I loved them all equally and deciding between one or the other was like deciding who your favorite child was, it just couldn't be done. All that changed with Apple Family Reunion which spoke to me unlike any other episode before it has, I understand what Applejack is going through completely as even since my father died last year I have been thinking a great deal about what he would want me to do. And I know that he wouldn't want me to be the angry, bitter, disgruntled grocery store employee for the rest of my life and for that and other reason I have decided to do something about that.

• Brohoof 5

Most of my bias towards Dash and Discord is in jest, and is thus completely blatant and on purpose. For the most part, when it comes to serious discussion, I treat all characters equally, and look at everything with a professional eye. Though, I'm not one to let blatant haters bash them without giving them plenty of valid of reasons why they're good characters, when the chance comes :3 Especially if the haters in question are being blunt and uncaring for how they're coming off towards others. I really don't care for people being brutally honest. Murderous honesty makes you look like an ass :P

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Everybody is biased towards their favorite character in any fandom. That's natural. Though there's an exception in my case, because Rarity is objectively the most nuanced, most beautiful, best voice acted, funniest, and most awesome-mest of all the ponies.

But I digress. In all seriousness, I try to treat every character equally.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

I have favorite ponies but unlike other people my favorite characters aren't the ones I can relate with. I just like certain personalities more than others. wink.png

Same here.  In fact, my favorite pony is probably the most opposite to me in personality (Rarity) while the ones closer to me (Twilight and Fluttershy) are much further down the list. 

Same here with Rarity.  I pretty much always stick up for her when she's being maligned or misunderstood, and I find it frustrating that so few people seem to appreciate her. 

I also have to admit that I have something of a bias *against* Rainbow Dash, mainly because I'm puzzled by the huge difference in popularity between her and Rarity.  Why is her cockiness a more "acceptable" flaw than Rarity's vanity?  They can both be rather self absorbed, but one seems to be more maligned for it than the other.  Why, in a community of artists like the Bronies, is the jock more popular than the artist? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I admit, everything gets better when you add Applejack. And I certainly feel more inclined to defend Applejack than the others.

It's even worse since one of my favorites is on everyone's (exaggerating... slightly) "hated ponies" list. When I was digging through some of the buried topics to see what everyone thought of Diamond Tiara because of the blog post I was working on, I saw so much hate on the character (though there were some that didn't hate her). I didn't even want to post in those topics; I figured bumping it would only bring more hate and I didn't want to see anymore of that. DT needs defending more than anypony else it seems.

I try to be objective in the serious discussions though.

Edited by MuteMutt
  • Brohoof 2

I treat all characters equally, and look at everything with a professional eye.

I try as best as I can to do that, it is in part because of that that Rainbow Dash and Rarity have moved up in my estimation. I don't like Rainbow Dash as much as I like Applejack but I have gotten to like her quite a bit and though Rarity can still annoy me at times and I don't usually care for her character type I have recognized that she has a great of potential as a character.

Twilight Sparkle has also moved up quite a bit as once I removed my "leader character" bias when I really started to appreciate her as a character. I get a little annoyed when people assume I am criticizing twilicorn to hate on her when the exact opposite is in fact the case. It has worked the other way for me in the case of Fluttershy and Spike though because it is easy to like them because they are pretty cute especially Fluttershy the inconsistent way their respective characters have been written feel a bit jarring to me. I still like them but, still I plan on making another topic about this so I will save the finer details for that.

DT needs defending more than anypony else it seems.

I think what people need to remember is that Diamond Tiara may be a bitch, but she is one because that is exactly what her role as a character is supposed to be and it is a role she fills quite well. And the same goes for Prince Blueblood, yes he treated Rarity like crap but you can't tell me that the part where he used Rarity as a pony shield wasn't funny. Out of the antagonists though I barely even think she should be considered one I think it is Gilda who really needs the most defending. I readily admit that she could have handled things a lot better but come on Pinkie Pie acted like a crazy stalker throughout the whole episode and didn't take the hint no matter what that Gilda wanted a little time alone with Rainbow Dash. And who is Twilight to call her a "false friend" when she dosen't even know her?

• Brohoof 3

I try as best as I can to do that, it is in part because of that that Rainbow Dash and Rarity have moved up in my estimation. I don't like Rainbow Dash as much as I like Applejack but I have gotten to like her quite a bit and though Rarity can still annoy me at times and I don't usually care for her character type I have recognized that she has a great of potential as a character.

Twilight Sparkle has also moved up quite a bit as once I removed my "leader character" bias when I really started to appreciate her as a character. I get a little annoyed when people assume I am criticizing twilicorn to hate on her when the exact opposite is in fact the case. It has worked the other way for me in the case of Fluttershy and Spike though because it is easy to like them because they are pretty cute especially Fluttershy the inconsistent way their respective characters have been written feel a bit jarring to me. I still like them but, still I plan on making another topic about this so I will save the finer details for that.

I think what people need to remember is that Diamond Tiara may be a bitch, but she is one because that is exactly what her role as a character is supposed to be and it is a role she fills quite well. And the same goes for Prince Blueblood, yes he treated Rarity like crap but you can't tell me that the part where he used Rarity as a pony shield wasn't funny. Out of the antagonists though I barely even think she should be considered one I think it is Gilda who really needs the most defending. I readily admit that she could have handled things a lot better but come on Pinkie Pie acted like a crazy stalker throughout the whole episode and didn't take the hint no matter what that Gilda wanted a little time alone with Rainbow Dash. And who is Twilight to call her a "false friend" when she dosen't even know her?

I agree, I actually thought gilda was pretty cool. And who knows, maybe she was going through some problems of her own. That would really explain her bad Attitude. I think she needs more positive reviews, I hate it how everyone hates her just for yelling at fluttershy.

I think it is Gilda who really needs the most defending. I readily admit that she could have handled things a lot better but come on Pinkie Pie acted like a crazy stalker throughout the whole episode and didn't take the hint no matter what that Gilda wanted a little time alone with Rainbow Dash. And who is Twilight to call her a "false friend" when she dosen't even know her?

Yeah, Gilda's actions are certainly more forgivable (or maybe acceptable. I'm  not quite sure how to word it) and understandable. When I said DT needs the most defending, I meant that I've run into hatred for DT the most often, partly because I went looking for it and partly because there's a lot going around. I don't know how popular Gilda's hate is, especially since I never looked into it, and I don't know how it stacks up to DT's.

Oh well. It's just one of those things. You make a "I can't stand Rainbow Dash" thread and everyone's up in arms to defend her. You make a "I can't stand Diamond Tiara" thread and everyone agrees; the defense is few and far between. Of course, this isn't the most fair comparison since Rainbow Dash has a more expanded on character and gets much more focus in the show; what I mean is that DT is just a character that's popular to hate right now.