Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You Ever Get Favorite Pony Bias?

Shanks

Applejack, my favourite pony, is so underappreciated, of course I'm going to have a bias like this, especially from her being the victim of all these stupid "best background pony" jokes. However, I've also had cases where I always fall for the most unappreciated character of a group, resulting in a similar bias for them.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is time to revive this sucker once more, alot of people are saying that Applejack was out of character in Somepony To Watch Over Me and I am kind of the odd man out on here being pretty much the only Applejack fan I have seen on here that agrees that she was out of character in that episode. It is clear that favorite pony bias worked in some fans minds to favor the episode, it certainly has in my case in every other AJ episode but in that one my favorite pony bias worked toward making me biased against the episode. I felt that the episode was extremely lazy in its portrayal of Applejacks overprotective side by not properly building it up and just making it as extreme as possible for laughs instead of actually making it believable and because it was an AJ episode and I have high expectations for them the episode really left a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't had an episode piss me off this much since Magical Mystery Cure, to be fair it wasn't anywhere near as bad but still.

I think it is time to revive this sucker once more, alot of people are saying that Applejack was out of character in Somepony To Watch Over Me and I am kind of the odd man out on here being pretty much the only Applejack fan I have seen on here that agrees that she was out of character in that episode. It is clear that favorite pony bias worked in some fans minds to favor the episode, it certainly has in my case in every other AJ episode but in that one my favorite pony bias worked toward making me biased against the episode. I felt that the episode was extremely lazy in its portrayal of Applejacks overprotective side by not properly building it up and just making it as extreme as possible for laughs instead of actually making it believable and because it was an AJ episode and I have high expectations for them the episode really left a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't had an episode piss me off this much since Magical Mystery Cure, to be fair it wasn't anywhere near as bad but still.

Let me just say that I legitimately liked the episode, and I actually do think Applejack wasn't out-of-character, along with many others–– even people who are not Applejack fans. Saying that we're liking the episode purely because our favorite character had a secondary focus isn't quite an accurate accusation, considering the many arguments made by those who liked the episode. I haven't seen any points made on the other side other than "yeah, but she's still OOC". You're free to convince me otherwise.

I very much enjoyed Somepony to Watch Over Me and would have enjoyed it even if it was centered around Rarity and Sweetie Belle. RD and Scoots, not so much–– it doesn't make sense for Dashie to be overprotective, but I believe it certainly did in Applejack's case. Just because other AJ fans liked it and you don't doesn't mean we don't have reasons to back it up other than "Applejack was in there".

• Brohoof 2

Just because other AJ fans liked it and you don't doesn't mean we don't have reasons to back it up other than "Applejack was in there".

I never said that was the only reason AJ fans could like the episode even if I myself didn't but I think it is as fair of a question to ask how much favorite pony bias factors into this as it is any other episode. People have their reasons and that is fair enough, I am not making accusations just asking questions and making observations.

A lot of people seem to get this weird emotional investment in characters, where they take whatever happens within the story to the characters very personally. Like if one character does something mean to their favorite character, then they hate the other character. I'm kind of weird in that I can't hate a character for their actions, because they're just fulfilling a role in a story.

Similarly I often don't get discussions about whether a certain character was right or wrong for their actions. I don't really care whether the character was right or wrong, just that an interesting story was told.

So it's really hard for me to form a bias to a character, as they're all just components in a story to me. There are some ponies I have a personal like for more than others, but I can see what is good and interesting about all the characters.

• Brohoof 1

I do. I am a long to overlook Rainbows less... finer... moments because I love her so much. You know how you can be willing to overlook some things that your family does that aren't exactly the best? Yeah, kinda like that.

I don't really care whether the character was right or wrong, just that an interesting story was told.

There are certain characters I feel that way about Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon, the Flimflam Brothers and Prince Blueblood are good examples of what I am talking about. They get quite a bit of hate for doing what the story calls for, I like Diamond Tiara in Ponyville Confidential in particular because she really played her role as a sleazy editor quite well and kind of reminded me of Jameson who is a reporter who constantly hounds Spiderman. I like Prince Blueblood because I think he is funny and the Flimflam brothers sang my favorite song in the series and are a very entertaining addition to the snake oil salesman/swindler trope.

• Brohoof 2

Nah, i don't have a bias towards my favorite pony. Every character has something makes me go either "Dude, My little pony rocks, brah!" Or "This show is for little girls."

Cookie for you if you get who I'm referencing.

• 7 years later...

Early on in the series, I wanted to see CMC getting their cutie marks, and didn't want to see other stories in-between. I was biased towards them getting screen time, singing, and succeeding.

• Brohoof 1

Because of my love for the Mane Six, I can get to the point where I don't really care about the background ponies as much as others do. :twi: (Hence why I called Slice of Life overrated) :sealed: I do however also adore the CMC and the Princesses and other awesome characters who were always there with us. :catface:

My love always goes back to the Mane Six themselves though. :wub: When somepony I'm not a fan of takes over, I can get bored really quickly. *glares at the damning Student Six* :mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 2

Bias in what sense I don't think i understood the question XD

I mean yeah I have favourite ponies I dunno though if that colour my perception as much as I just have preferences to certain things. I think generally I just watch the show and enjoy? Lol I don't think I dig deep enough though yea somethings are annoying and that. But the way the ponies act seem to vary episode to episode or based on writer anyway often there are inconsistencies.. I more judge by overall story.

I'm definitely biased towards Pinkie. Every episode where I like her gets an automatic boost even if it's not very good. That's probably why I like A Friend in Deed and Hearth's Warming Eve so much, and why I'm not as harsh on Baby Cakes as much as a lot of other people. 

It's also why I'm harsher on a lot of season 4 episodes than I probably should be. I go into every episode wanting to like Pinkie, so when I don't like her, I look at the episode a bit more negatively than I should.

I'm also biased towards every episode with TwiPie. So I don't really care about any problems that Feeling Pinkie Keen, MMMystery, and Luna Eclipsed have because TwiPie.

Yes! A lot! Mostly because I care about them and I want to see them improve, but sometimes the writers didn't get their characters right. 

Yeah, I'd say have have a favorite pony bias, but that's pretty much the nature have having a favorite in anything. In the case of MLP, I tend to enjoy and watch episodes featuring Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash more than the others. That's not to say I didn't enjoy episodes without them, I just simply gravitate towards episodes with them a little more. The same could probably be said about my fascination with pegasi in Fim, and the episodes involving them.