Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lauren Faust's intentions with Twilight are confusing

Commander_PonyShep

She actually elaborated about Twilight on her DeviantArt page(http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/).

Lauren Faust:"I said in the doc that I planned for Twilight to be Celestia's successor. I did not use the words "alicorn" or "princess"".

It weakens the assumption that she wanted Twilight to become a princess after all. Celestia's not only a ruler but also a magical user and a teacher so Twilight could have succeed her in this role.

The season 4 could still make her a teacher(it was actually implied in MMC) but with wings and princess status.

Then I guess my bronydom must come into question, again.

Technically, Lauren had a less sexist vision of Twilight Sparkle other than princess, and when she left, that vision was crushed, and the show went back to sexist drivel from past generations.

I mean, what should I believe?  Should I think the show would've been better with Lauren reducing the sexism in MLP?  Or, should I put more faith in Meghan McCarthy and her current writing staff, even if their vision for Twilight was completely different from Lauren's?

As far as I understand Lauren she would have loved to address a lot more things in the show. For example the parents of each and every mane 6 character. So I highly doubt with her still in the team the show would be over, magical mystery cure would just not be out yet. It would be delayed until the show is over.

Personally I think that would have been a nice ending to the show but since its out this soon... I feel like the creators are in a bad position now. Story-wise.

I again, I must involve this feminist blog: http://feminspire.com/equestria-girls-how-did-my-little-pony-go-so-so-wrong/

What Meghan McCarthy and her team are doing is ruining Lauren's vision of an MLP that doesn't involve sexist drivel like princesses.  It's what this article believes.

Wow your worried because of that article. Really it seems rather poorly put together to me. in the beggining it focuses on the word princess and ignores every aspect of presentation in the episode itself. This article uses not even one freaking example from the episode to demonstrate its point. It just assumes that a character becoming a princess no matter the context is a bad thing. That just seems a poor and lazy argument to me. I don't write for a website yet I took the time to write seven pages on my position with plenty of references to the episode. Why couldn't they?

Really there are a few things Twilight's princess hood convey. 

1. If you work hard and put your mind and body to it you can accomplish great things. Twilight wasn't just granted princess hood she earned it. Twilight had through constant study and hard work reached a knew stage of life few ever manage to. There was a whole sequence demonstrating this(Celestia's Ballad)

2. The word princess is MLP is only similar as a label. A princess by typical label is either someone born or married into royalty. Their title is granted for no other reason than by their linage or marriage. This is not so in MLP. A princess is not the daughter of a King or Queen, a princess is the highest power there is. Not just by status but in act Princess Celestia Raises the sun and governs all of Equestria whilst handling foreign dignitaries. Luna Raises the moon and stars and walks in and manages the dreams of the ponies. Cadence can manage love and has taken responsibility for the Crystal Empire. A princess in Equestria seems to be a title earned at least it was in Twilight's case. In fact the only titles earned by marriage or by relation in MLP have been Princes. Shining Armor became a prince through marrying Cadence and Brince Blue Blood was a Prince through relation to Celestia. This is the opposite of what is normally seen. The females are in power and they earn that power. Tell me how is this sexist? Because they are called princesses? That is only a label, a label that means something quite different than in it does in other media. 

3. It presents the core message of the show, that being friendship. Does the article even address the core theme of MMM? How Twilight became a princess in the first place? Becoming a princess was just the result of her having a full understanding of the magic of friendship. Her friends were the most important thing to her. Friendship enabled the whole thing to happen. The entire segment of A True True Friend song. The completion of Star Swirls Spell which relied and focused on friendship. Then that whole speech Twilight gave about how she wouldn't be there without her friendship. Friendship is the basis of her princess status, Her friendship with the mane six is present on her cutie mark which had a huge presence during the latter point of her transformation. Why doesn't the article address anything actually from the episode rather than the label of princess?

Then there is the way in which they address Equestria Girls. I may not like the design but to call them "overtly sexual anima-people" is really going too far. Oh yeah I wanna hit that. Ok really that is pretty rediculous to me. Just as rediculous as when some say Celestia and Luna are as such and they are princesses which means being skinny is being better. Then she complains about the same body types then says this in referance to the pony body types. "I know that the original characters were visually similar to one another(body type)" . They have the exact same bodies. This was to make production easier. They also use a picture that isn't of the actual character designs. Yes indeed I did look at that picture, though I got a better look at the other picture and the trailer which display the actual character designs used. 

As Lauren has stated her idea no longer apply to the current production. As Lauren has said ideas morph and change as a show progresses. Season one didnt go exactly as she intended doe this automatically mean its bad?

• Brohoof 1

I find it hard to care about Lauren's input anymore. Her headcanon and what she was going to do with the series are no more valid than my own. Personally, I'm even getting sick of people trying to make her out to be this modern day messiah of animation. It's her job, she should be a professional and she should understand that sometimes changes need to be made so whatever negative attitude she has towards Hasbro's changes borders on immature.

On the subject of Twilicorn, she originally wanted her to succeed Celestia at the end of the series. Been there, done that. It's ciche as hell and I'm actually happy they did it now. This way we can see something besides the whole "Heroes Journey" formula.

All I can say about this is that I do not think that she SHOULD be an alicorn, but if the producers wish it to be so, so be it. Sure, people will get mad and all, but a change is good. In any fandom, there are always people who think it is unacceptable for change. Maybe it's us that are stubborn. Wouldn't it be BORING as BUCK if everything STAYED THE SAME? Just saying. 

I dont understand why Lauren's intentions or opinions are even relevant anymore considering she hasn't done anything for mlp since season 2. I mean dont get me wrong I love Lauren she is the reason we even got mlp in the first place but I dont think she is the be all and end all for ponies considering she openly admits she hasnt watched most of season 3. I just dont understand why people keep bringing Lauren up when Megan Mcauthy is the one currently in charge. 

Cause she had a vision. A vision that's the reason we like this show for in the first place and why many fear Hasbro's meddling. A vision that I say trancends more than why this show is awesome. 

Also.

http://i.imgur.com/Hj6im5j.png?1

(edited)

It wasn't the real Faust. Everyone can post anything on 4chan using any name(most post as Anonymous) unless someone is using a secure tripcode.

I wish people weren't so gullible and I didn't have to make this presentation.

It’s also not possible to post faster than every 30 seconds to the same board, and that was a 16 second gap.

307.png

3aa.png

Edited by MadPointer

• 2 years later...

Lauren Faust left the show after she finished the season 2 finale. The show doesn't have to go with her vision of the show anymore. If she didn't want Twilight to be an Alicorn, she shouldn't have left the show.

Although by now I'm sure she's over it.

Maybe my perspective is a little skewed due to mid season 3 being where I started watching the show, but I don't really have any issue with Alicorn Twi, I think as a character she works just a well in S4&5 as she does in 1-2

The only thing I don't quite like since the change is the castle, I liked the Golden Oak much more as her home

• Brohoof 1