Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony know any defence fighting techniiques?

Goodra

Well.. Frankly being a really skinny and innocent looking guy I don't think I will be getting any defense if I'm attacked. I'm not nearly intimidating enough.

I took karate when I was younger, got to like green belt but I had to quit.

And frankly I don't remember anything anymore :/.

Might be a good idea to learn something just in case. Of course at our school if we fight back then were considered basically just as guilty. We're almost expected to let them beat us unless we'd like to get in trouble aswell.

Kinda stupid.

Hmm I can't really explain it over a forum but... I did kickboxing for 2 - 3 years, and got pretty good at it (before fracturing my leg) , so im probably not good anymore xD 

But it's really kick ass, I love the mixture of different fighting techniques, give it a go! :D 

I usually just curl up into a little ball with my head tucked in, and that usually works. So yeah, that would be my defense technique. I never learned any actual defense techniques, so curling up is the only thing I know. 

Go for the balls

Use mace

Get a taser

run wink.png

I took various martial arts for a while and also played capoeira, so I'd like to think I know some defense techniques, though in the moment I'm not sure if they'd come back to me.   

I call myself as a martial artist. My original martial art was a traditional one, which was created for the king (who still rules until now) to support his spiritual techniques. My mother asked me to join because, by blood line, my great grandfather (my mother's grandfather) was still the spiritual master of the previous king. Sadly enough, I found so many mistakes in this martial art system, and I intend to share you the tips.

Don't move. Many martial arts suggest their practitioners to keep walking around the enemy, or even just for style, like in Tae Kwon Do, which literally wastes your energy for almost nothing. Stay still, watch your enemy carefully as he wastes his energy. Energy is an essential factor in combat. Those who run out first, die. Staying still means that you can watch movements in more details, and increase your chance in avoiding or blocking attacks when they come. Many martial artists classify energy into two types. Attacking and defending. I make another classification. Neutral energy, when you wait. Pick your stance, and shut up.

Don't offer your head. This also applies on swordplay. Head is a precious part of body, in my opinion. One hit and you will lost your energy control, which results in a waste of a large amount of it. In many styles, the weight is positioned in the front. False. Rise your head high, and let your back leg takes the weight. My stance is to stand with one leg in the back side, and another one in the front. Just say I put my left leg behind the right one. The left leg takes all my body weight, and the right leg hangs lightly, ready to kick or block kicks. This is very efficient since your right leg can move fast and the left leg will be able to hold your weight when your enemy tries to push you. Don't even try to lower your head when you advance.

Don't hold your enemy. It's just stupid, and yes, I'm saying that wresting is stupid and it's not an art. You're fighting your enemy, so why do you try to hug him? He could stab you while you're doing it. Holding hands may be romantic if you're dating your girl friend, but if she gets mad at you, she can tighten her grip and use her another free hand to break your strained arm. She can also pull your hand or even push it, making you fall like a little lady. So hit quick, leave quick, get back to your position quick, ready for next attack. Though it's obviously stupid, many people still try to hold their enemies when fighting, thinking that it will restrain their movements. Think again.

Consider a simple beauty. Posing like a swimming tiger or flying grasshopper doesn't frighten your enemy. Unless they're children or halfwits, of course, but let's say we're fighting normal adults here. Posing wastes energy, and the wider you spread your legs, uh, that sounds awkward, the wider you spread your arms, the longer time it takes to swing it to block or attack. Trust me, a split second matters in combat. It's enough time to get a spear to your throat, and another split second to continue it to your arse. Stand simple, put your hands in a simple yet ready position, and position your legs so that you will be easy to move and evade.

Know your energy, and your enemies. Don't punch a punch. It will break your both hands. Don't kick your enemy's flying leg. It will break both of yours. Having your bones broken isn't cool. Like I said, many martial artists classify energy into two types. Attacking and defending. One at a time. It's called balance. If your enemy pushes you, balance your weight with him. Recall my leg position in my stance. It's balanced. While my left leg handles the weight, the right rests. Think about it more. I'm sure you're not dumb. Positive negative. Forward backward. You can feel your own weight as you walk, and your weight moves from one leg to another. Imagine both legs are empty of power. You fall. Imagine if both legs are filled with energy. You can't move, and you will waste much energy. This also applies on turning attack direction instead of blocking it.

When you attack, focus your energy on the attacking hand or leg. Let the rest of your body loose of energy. It will reduce the chance of cramp and it increases the attack speed and strength.

By the way, think about the third type of energy.

Martial art doesn't have the word 'art' for no reason. It uses mind. It uses senses. It has beauty. Dance, with power.

Edited by Sky Warden

Whenever someone tries to 'play fight' me, I usually just block and dodge the hits. If you can successfully block all hits, sure you won't 'win', but at least you can seem pretty impressive! Also, it'll be easier to block and dodge if it's the only thing you're focusing on.

...for the most part though, I don't get to block or dodge many of the hits that are thrown at me, if ever. I'm not exactly an expert at any martial art. :(

Oh and, for real life situations: run! xD

I just jab them in the gut with my hand.

Then it "stuns" then, then I do it more, then they often fall on the floor, hunching over their stomach.

If you get caught or something, you can say you were just poking them.

;)

well, i know one i use whenever needed. make your hand into a fist and aim for the nose or the jaw. tough i don't think that's really good for 'play fighting' :P

also, i always wear a stainless steel ring, good for leaving cuts and opening beers alike!

I've done 8 years of martial arts, 6 years being Silek Tuo. I agree with Thunder-Dash, the wrist lock is very effective if done properly. I'm currently doing Bagua Zhang though, after having a 3-year break from martial arts altogether.

--

Most grabs and holds rely on the motions of the sun and the moon, or heaven and earth. Whenever someone grabs you, you create imbalance by lowering the part that is being grabbed, and then pushing it upwards.

That's because a lot of people who grab you, use force to keep the grab, but they don't try to push or pull you. By pulling, the opponent becomes imbalanced, pushing is less effective because they could stand firmly on their feet and you won't be able to make them move. By creating the pull (earth) and then pushing backwards (heaven) into the opponent, you create a back and forth movement once.

The important thing here is that the opponent is able to defend himself against pushes easily, and can easily step forward to maintain balance. By pulling him (weakening his position), he steps forward, which you can easily maintain your balance with, but if the enemy hasn't created his form or position and you start to push before he gains balance, you create a force backwards which the enemy cannot defend easily against (like the moon pulling the water, and the sun "pushing" it backwards), he'll have to step backwards on terrain he cannot see. Plus, most people don't know how to step backwards properly and their form becomes unstable and weak. With this, you create the heaven and the enemy is forced backwards to the earth.

There are an endless amount of forms and techniques that use this principle, even outside of grabs and throws. Nature shows us what creates balance, and what creates disruption. And we use these examples that nature gives us, to reflect on who we are and what we do.

Perform techniques slow and improper and nature starts to adapt. Perform them quick and effective, and imbalance is created. Imbalance is a dangerous thing though, because you can hurt people with it more than you want to. Lose control, and you can severely injure someone. One could fight a two-headed snake, but one can only kill it by being poisoned himself.

--

Though grabs and holds are important, you do not offer yourself to be grabbed and you must maintain a strong position. Don't move around too much, become connected with the earth. Ideally, never move unless you strike or defend. By being connected with the earth, your defensive energy, you force the enemy to slow down at your pace, sure he can hit you all he wants, but by creating a defensive front, the hits won't matter as you defend properly. As a fight goes on, you will start to notice gaps in the enemy's form and energy. Anyone who isn't trained well, will show gaps wherein the earth is weak, those are opportunities to strike, depending if the enemy is holding a weapon, a throw or an attack that imbalances his position, can end anyone quickly. Once you fall to the ground and lose hold of your form, all you have left is a brittle defense, easy to overwhelm, easy to break.

If you really wanted to learn how to defend yourself, then you should go to a self-defense course, or pick up a martial art. Copying techniques you find on forums, or on random internet videos, is really dangerous. Without a proper teacher, you will injure your friends or yourself. So I can only tell you a few philosophies and principles within martial arts, but not the forms or techniques.

Buuuut, I guess you could get a grasp on some forms by performing a kata you find on the internet, which is basically a series of techniques and/or forms put together into a sequence. I guess you could call it a "dance", because many people think it resembles a dance. 

Edited by Winterbass