Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

____

(Honestly) how do you react to objectified women in media  

60 users have voted

1. 1. How do you react to the women shown to us in our media-thin, large in bust, "sexy" etc?

• AWESOME!!!
    • Entertaining
    • Bemused
    • Disappointed at the media
    • Disgusted

(edited)

I didn't mean to imply that women aim to be skeletons and I apologize for any misunderstanding but only that these sort of issues are in large due to the portrayal of the anorexic/skeleton like figure as beautiful it just plays into the insecurities a lot of women have over their appearance.

No need to appologize! Might have been my misinterpretation.

Some people are insecure and those sorts of people are the best at finding the wrong things to be inspired by. They see something praised and realize they do not have the right hand of cards. They start to think they must fill those shoes if they want the same sort of approval. The whole ED thing can be caused by other things too, like depression, OCD, and other mental ailments. I'm sure the media has a role in this too. The whole weight-loss craze is pretty insane right now, and it's unfortunate that so many young girls take it to the extremities.

Edit: grammar

Edited by D1SC0RD

To me, it seems like there are more ways in which guys could be considered attractive.  You can be big and burly, you could be thin and effeminate, you could be grungy, you could be clean cut, you could look like you're on the cover of GQ, or you cold look like you're on the cover of Playgirl.  I don't know if women have as many different options, nor does it seem like looks are generally as much of a factor for men overall. 

I mean, if you look at hollywood, is there a female equivalent to an actor like Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, etc?  Yeah, there's Melissa McCarthy, but... then who else?

I'm a guy, and I think women with oversized breasts are gross. I would never date a woman who's gotten plasic surgery, it just looks so fake.

• Brohoof 2

I don't seem bothered by these sorts of things.

Photo Manipulation turns an average female into a model with the help of some excessive editing to what the Media thinks a girl should look like, if they honestly believe that all females should look like that, then i can find better ways to waste my time than to argue with them.

I don't like following those sorts of crowds, many things spoken by the media, out of all of them, what bothers me the most is sex and how being a virgin makes you less of a person in a way. It all annoys me, so i chose to instead ignore it.

• Brohoof 2

Different ideas of beauty. You get the curvy side of things (which is supposed to be the sexy one) and then you get the thin ones which are supposed to look cute or dainty. post-13636-0-87899700-1369607695_thumb.jpg 

Just wondering, do you consider this to be the standard of women for today? These are fabulously gorgeous women, but keep in mind they are VICTORIA SECRET MODELS. This is an almost impossible standard for 90% of women around the world. Yes they are pretty, but the fact that the media is saying that everyone has to look like this or they are not attractive is what is very wrong. As a girl, I have found myself comparing to these models and feeling lesser about myself. I have a good figure and I don't think I'm ugly, but I am not a Victoria Secret model. 

People know that when they look at skin and bone models that that is ugly or unattractive. But how many guys here would agree that not every girl has to look like Victoria Secret models to be attractive? Thankfully I believe most of you would agree, but the girls are the ones who are truly affected by this.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted to express my thoughts on the subject img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

• Brohoof 1

Just wondering, do you consider this to be the standard of women for today?

Nope of course not! When I posted those images and made my rant, I thought I was answering a question someone had asked me. My goal was to point out why some people want to be thin while others want to be curvy. I am not saying these body types are the most beautiful, but what I was trying to do was suggest reasons on why a female may feel pressure to be stick thin instead of large busted.

Nope of course not! When I posted those images and made my rant, I thought I was answering a question someone had asked me. My goal was to point out why some people want to be thin while others want to be curvy. I am not saying these body types are the most beautiful, but what I was trying to do was suggest reasons on why a female may feel pressure to be stick thin instead of large busted.

Haha okay! Thanks for clearing that up. I mean, I wouldn't be mad if you did feel that way, it's just an opinion, but I personally would want girls to be as healthy as they can be, not as thin as a model on a magazine img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png  

• Brohoof 1

Just wondering, do you consider this to be the standard of women for today? These are fabulously gorgeous women, but keep in mind they are VICTORIA SECRET MODELS. This is an almost impossible standard for 90% of women around the world. Yes they are pretty, but the fact that the media is saying that everyone has to look like this or they are not attractive is what is very wrong. As a girl, I have found myself comparing to these models and feeling lesser about myself. I have a good figure and I don't think I'm ugly, but I am not a Victoria Secret model. 

People know that when they look at skin and bone models that that is ugly or unattractive. But how many guys here would agree that not every girl has to look like Victoria Secret models to be attractive? Thankfully I believe most of you would agree, but the girls are the ones who are truly affected by this.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted to express my thoughts on the subject img-1500453-1-img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

Personally, girls who are skin-and-bones thin kinda gross me out. I know there are many who simply can't help it since they have freakishly high metabolisms, but I can't help but think "unhealthy" whenever I see them. I guess there's just something about how the media hammered away at anorexia back in the '90s that planted in my mind the thought that any overly skinny girl must be bulimic or something. Which isn't a fair assumption, I know. But even less fair is the way the media points out such girls as being the standard that all women should strive to emulate. It's unfair to women in that those who fail to meet the standard be deemed ugly, and it's unfair to men in basically making up all of our minds for us as to what we should find attractive in women. Nobody wins, except for the "beautiful" people.

In a nutshell...society sucks. Verily so. mellow.png

• Brohoof 1

I don't see how people aren't surprised at the media thinking about what women should look like. Basically, the media is saying nonsense which I am not surprised since they think women should look skinny and their body should be so revealing that they look they haven't eaten for years. But oh well, women that just have skin and bones like very thinning makes me want to throw up.

So, media you are very wrong in society.

(edited)

I like skinny, (I'm skinny as well) but there is such a thing as "bony and gross". I also don't like women with huge breasts (like i said before), huge hips/butt, etc. I just can't stand oversized plastic breasts, bigger DOES NOT equal better (at least for me). Another thing I would like throw out there is how exactly does being an asshole make you "manly"?

Most people will brand me as crazy for saying this, but the devil controlls the media, the founder of the modern church of satan said that tvs are one of the greatwst things to happen for his churxh, tv's give us unhealy bad thoughts, and if you think, tv is just stories, and stories are very powerfull, thats why the bibble is in storys

Anywahs since proably no one will belive me, im just some crazy person

No offense dude but was a bit crazy. I don't believe in "the devil","God" or anything in the Bible but I can see what you're trying to say I guess. The media is in a way controlled by "the devil". Except that "devil" is actually a group of corporate assholes trying to make money. I think that's a good way to translate it. Edited by AtDawnTheySquee
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

The media portrayal of women isn't even attractive, in my opinion. I find it disgusting in a way. It tries to glamorize the unnatural. That image is so unrealistic and unhealthy, and so many models just look sickly being as thin as they are. I even heard one modeling agency somewhere was caught trying to hire clients right outside of an ANOREXIA clinic, so some models very well might be sick.

Curves are natural and curves are sexy!! 

Don't seek to be thin.

Don't seek to be busty.

Don't seek to be longer.

Seek to be HEALTHIER.

And the media image of bone-thin with excessively large breasts is not healthy.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 1

I even heard one modeling agency somewhere was caught trying to hire clients right outside of an ANOREXIA clinic

Eeeeeeeww that is just, I don't even know what to say to that. Shame on them for taking advantage of women that obviously have serious problems.

I think of media as an extension of society and corporate bigots. We are shown what they want us to be like, so they can better control us, and sell products. Sex sells very well, so that is another reason that we always see this kind of stuff. I'm a guy, so naturally I'm going to find thin women with curves attractive, but ultimately that's not what keeps me interested. I also don't get why every form of media, especially anime, want to keep shoving large breasts at us guys. I don't get the appeal in oversized bosoms. I find that unattractive. I don't like how women, or anything else for that matter is portrayed by society and the media. Ultimately what I will find attractive in women will be their personality. I won't care what a woman looks like, so long as she has a good personality.

This topic keeps reminding me of the episode of Family Guy where Lois gets a modeling career and ends up a twig because all the models do it. So she became skin and bone to be like her modeling "friends" and it became a problem because she didn't want to gain any weight back.

I'm a pretty curvy and I used to be consumed by what the media portrayed women but have you seen those celebrities without makeup? Most of them look horrid. I always tell myself If they were just regular people trying to make it in society then they wouldn't get that much attention. Fame heightens our attraction to celebrities. I honestly don't care about how people think I look because if they don't like it then they have the option to look the other way. As a teacher it does bother me when a 9 year old girl thinks she has to lose weight. I try to let all my students know their beautiful and that this is "Fake" and that their an original and that a boy would rather have an original over a fake.

• Brohoof 1

I try to let all my students know their beautiful and that this is "Fake" and that their an original and that a boy would rather have an original over a fake.

Exactly, you pretty much summed up why that kind of stuff has no appeal to me whatsoever. It is not just that it looks fake that bothers me although it does it is that they keep trying to be someone they are not and it is very depressing I really feel bad for the girls that think that way. The biggest turn on for me and I am sure alot of other men as well is a woman who is real and genuine, not afraid to be herself.

All I can do is say, "Man....that's horrible..." and pray for those women who model like that.  It isn't their fault, they're just doing their job. But shame on those designers who can't treat the body like it should be.....

• Brohoof 3

I know I'm going to sound strange saying this...

I didn't pick any of the options because I don't feel that any of them accurately represented my reaction. Unlike most women these days I don't feel that self-conscious about my body, and if I do it's not about looks it's because I know I'm not eating healthy enough. I don't feel that affected by the ads of what women are supposed to look like. Maybe the only thing that bothers me is that they're all so tall, but I'm also really short and I know that. But even then, I don't hate being short and I don't really wish I was tall. 

The only way to change it is to ignore it. I rarely pay attention to these ads so they don't affect me. By giving the media attention every time they put out an unrealistic and womanizing ad. But their behavior gets them not only attention, but results. 

Remember, they do the same thing with guys. Advertisers have created a whole "world" of "perfect people" of which we can never even hope to be a part. So why bother worrying about either getting in or getting rid of it?

Don't even think, about hating youurself for being short because being tall is a gift but can be a huge pain in the... butt lets say. I live in a room where the ceiling is diagonal. I hit my head on doorways, the bus, the flipping ceiling sometimes, and then I have to try to collapse down to fit into a teeny car. 

Sometimes it's a gift... other times it's a burden.

• Brohoof 2

It disgusts me how un-human they look. It makes me feel awkward about myself. But, then I realized how fake they are, caking on bunches of make-up.

• Brohoof 3