Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How powerful are Celestia, Luna, and Discord?

Dreadmallon

They aren't full deities because they can be defeated as we see in Canterlot Wedding, but they are at the very least incredibly long lived and very powerful. Perhaps they are something akin to a demigod. I do believe that they have control of their various aspects and I believe that because of that Equestria is in no need of an army, just a royal guard.

Celestia and Luna hold the ultimate deterrents in that manipulating the sun and the moon they could wreak havoc over any opposing nations homeland. Luna could cause huge tidal waves at a thought and without Celestia's sun crops would fail. There might be a darker side to this utopia... 

Power wise Celestia and Luna have the power of many Unicorns it took to control the Sun and Moon.

Otherwise, just consider the library of books with various spells like aging, time travel, and etc. I'm sure Celestia read them all.

I am almost positive that Discord is nigh omnipotent, unless we see villain decay in season five. I'll remind you that Tirek didn't dare to challenge Discord until he had stolen almost all of the magic in Equestria, including the magic of the elements of harmony.  

Celestia is actually fairly weak. She's more of a demigod. 

As for Luna, well...

I am almost positive that Discord is nigh omnipotent, unless we see villain decay in season five. I'll remind you that Tirek didn't dare to challenge Discord until he had stolen almost all of the magic in Equestria, including the magic of the elements of harmony.  

Night omipototent =/= Getting owned by the power of a lot of random ponies. Speaking of which, when did Tirek eat the Elements? He never did that

Celestia is actually fairly weak. She's more of a demigod.    As for Luna, well...

The two of them are equals 

Night omipototent =/= Getting owned by the power of a lot of random ponies.

The magic of the entire pony population of Equestria. Don't try to squirm your way out of this one, that was stated in the show itself.

Speaking of which, when did Tirek eat the Elements? He never did that

Perhaps I should clarify. The magic of the bearers of the elements of harmony.

The two of them are equals 

Luna is stronger. She wasn't defeated by Queen Chrysalis, in fact Queen Chrysalis didn't dare challenge her. Luna also has the added power of dream walking, something which Celestia does not possess.      

The magic of the entire pony population of Equestria. Don't try to squirm your way out of this one, that was stated in the show itself.

By definition, he's not even near omnipotent then. Also, Tirek's blasts with Discord's power added were just barely enough to destroy a mountain. Pitiful

Perhaps I should clarify. The magic of the bearers of the elements of harmony.

That's not special at all

Luna is stronger. She wasn't defeated by Queen Chrysalis, in fact Queen Chrysalis didn't dare challenge her. Luna also has the added power of dream walking, something which Celestia does not possess.  

You are aware that with that logic, I can say that Pinkie Pie is stronger than Twilight because Nightmare Moon didn't challenge her? Or that Superman is weaker than the Joker because he doesn't challenge him(regularly)?

Chrysalis challenged Celestia because she was the only one there, not to mention she hardly had a choice, if she didn't fight back, Celestia would have toasted her. Also, note that Chrysalis isn't worried at all about fighting Luna and uses Celestia as the benchmark for power. If Luna were stronger, Chrysalis would have made no sense

"I'M STRONGER THAN CELESTIA!....Even though Luna will kick my ass at nightfall"

And the dream walking means nothing.

The problem is that Luna had to resort to dark powers in order to just even out with Celestia, even then, Celestia didn't fight back, so it's hard to tell who was truly the better

By definition, he's not even near omnipotent then. Also, Tirek's blasts with Discord's power added were just barely enough to destroy a mountain. Pitiful That's not special at all 

Did you not see exactly how much Tirek grew when he absorbed the magic of the elements of harmony? Without their magic, Tirek would have never been able to defeat Discord.

I can say that Pinkie Pie is stronger than Twilight

Pinkie Pie is stronger then Twilight. By a lot.

And the dream walking means nothing.

I can't believe you just said that. It's a little disappointing, really.

The problem is that Luna had to resort to dark powers in order to just even out with Celestia

Luna with dark powers utterly crushed Celestia. She had to resort to using the elements to defeat her.

Did you not see exactly how much Tirek grew when he absorbed the magic of the elements of harmony? Without their magic, Tirek would have never been able to defeat Discord.

They're regular ponies without the Elements, it's called drama building

Pinkie Pie is stronger then Twilight. By a lot.

The fool who got her leg stuck because of a smallish pebble? Pinkie is the weakest of the Mane 6 by far(first Pinkie fanboy I've ever seen)

I can't believe you just said that. It's a little disappointing, really.

When simply waking up breaks the whole thing, it's crappy beyond belief. Not to mention that dreamwalking doesn't help in a fight

Luna with dark powers utterly crushed Celestia. She had to resort to using the elements to defeat her.

What show were you watching? Celestia was dodging all of her blasts and was hit only once. This is more impressive when you realize Celestia was holding back and not trying to fight, if she had actually been fighting, it would have been much harder 

Well Luna doesn't really do much except deal with night time and such, Tia is the absolute biggest push over in the series. Everything kicks her ass so she can't be all that powerful but discord bends the very fabric of reality so he has to have some kind of god like power to fuel his mischief and various shenanigans.

Tia is the absolute biggest push over in the series. Everything kicks her ass so she can't be all that powerful

Via that logic, Krillin, a planet buster, is weak. Just because she's actually around to fight enemies, unlike Luna, means that she gets more losses because she's the one fighting, whilst Luna is in the background 

They're regular ponies without the Elements

Nope. It was stated in the show that most of the power was inside of them all along. Power of friendship and all that.

Pinkie is the weakest of the Mane 6 by far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja06DJrFe5E

When simply waking up breaks the whole thing, it's crappy beyond belief.

Luna can actually prevent you from waking up from her dreams.

Not to mention that dreamwalking doesn't help in a fight

Have you no imagination at all? Dream-walking makes it so their won't be a fight. She'll silently slip into your dreams and drive you insane.   

Via that logic, Krillin, a planet buster, is weak. Just because she's actually around to fight enemies, unlike Luna, means that she gets more losses because she's the one fighting, whilst Luna is in the background 

I won't debate that Luna does nothing. Tia beat Luna when she had her breakdown with the help of the elements of harmony and a few other fights before the mane 6 showed up but since then she has done really nothing but flail limp wristed in every fight she has taken part in so I feel justified categorizing as weak. Happy to admit my mistake when I see otherwise but till then I can't see her as anything more than a weak support in combat. I haven't watched DBZ for a long time and remember very little about Krillin beyond dying from time to time but nice to see them making him badass.

Edited by QuirkyUsername

Nope. It was stated in the show that most of the power was inside of them all along. Power of friendship and all that.

Tirek can't absorb friendship magic

Luna can actually prevent you from waking up from her dreams.

She didn't do that with Scootaloo

Have you no imagination at all? Dream-walking makes it so their won't be a fight. She'll silently slip into your dreams and drive you insane.   

Except that her opponent will just go

"Hey, that's Luna in my dream. I'll go kill her"

@@QuirkyUsername,

Just because she loses a lot doesn't mean she's weak, it's just that she'd had a handicap in all of them

Vs Discord: Luna got her ass kicked as well

Vs Sombra: They banished him easily

Vs Nightmare Moon: Celestia didn't want to hurt her sister nor fight her

Vs Chrysalis: Chrysalis had been juicing on love for weeks, even then, Chrysalis was shocked that she was able to do it 

Tirek can't absorb friendship magic

He can and he did. That's how he defeated Discord.

She didn't do that with Scootaloo

She did do it with Sweetie Belle. 

Except that her opponent will just go "Hey, that's Luna in my dream. I'll go kill her"

Nope. Strength doesn't matter in the world of dreams. It's more about emotion and willpower. 

He can and he did. That's how he defeated Discord.

And yet he didn't absorb the Friendship Laser

She did do it with Sweetie Belle. 

Conjecture that she was keeping Sweetie Bell from waking up

Nope. Strength doesn't matter in the world of dreams. It's more about emotion and willpower.

Celestia has FAR more will power than Luna. One of them threw a tantrum like a spoiled child because she wanted attention, Celestia had 1000 years of peace after banishing her sister without any incidents 

Just because she loses a lot doesn't mean she's weak, it's just that she'd had a handicap in all of them

Vs Discord: Luna got her ass kicked as well

Vs Sombra: They banished him easily

Vs Nightmare Moon: Celestia didn't want to hurt her sister nor fight her

Vs Chrysalis: Chrysalis had been juicing on love for weeks, even then, Chrysalis was shocked that she was able to do it 

How is Discord being strong enough to beat them both a handicap for them? I'd say Discord was at the disadvantage there being against them both yet still won.

She beat Luna the first time but arguably went down without a fight the second time. She did beat her without hurting her so I'm not sure the relevance of that point.

In a fair fight sure she might have been able to beat Chrysalis but till Hasbro gives one a fight without Chrysalis juicing up could go either way

From watching the show Sombra wasn't nearly the threat he was made out to be but just the lore it would have been a feat to banish him so I will cede that point to you.

How is Discord being strong enough to beat them both a handicap for them? I'd say Discord was at the disadvantage there being against them both yet still won

That wasn't a handicap, that was me saying that Luna suffered the same fate

She beat Luna the first time but arguably went down without a fight the second time. She did beat her without hurting her so I'm not sure the relevance of that point.

Second time took place in about the span of 30 seconds, given the lack of laser explosions, NMM caught Celestia off guard

In a fair fight sure she might have been able to beat Chrysalis but till Hasbro gives one a fight without Chrysalis juicing up could go either way

Wrong, Chrysalis was just barely able to beat Celestia and she was completely shocked that even she was able to do it. She even admits that Shining Armor's love was stronger than she thought. Without that, Celestia would have crushed her 

That wasn't a handicap, that was me saying that Luna suffered the same fate

Second time took place in about the span of 30 seconds, given the lack of laser explosions, NMM caught Celestia off guard

Wrong, Chrysalis was just barely able to beat Celestia and she was completely shocked that even she was able to do it. She even admits that Shining Armor's love was stronger than she thought. Without that, Celestia would have crushed her 

I am not debating that Luna isn't weak too? I merely said Tia is weak, Luna doesn't do anything and Discord has godlike power so not sure how that is relevant.

First time took the use of the elements of harmony to beat NMM so unless Celestia brought them with her to Ponyville, even Luna announcing she is coming to fight Celestia and take over, removing the element of surprise would still result in Luna beating her.

Barely? Yes she was surprised but Celestia's resistance was pitiful at best. It was a 5 second cliche beam struggle. Yeah she could beat Chrysalis without her leaching of Shining but I'd hardly call that barely winning. If the beams are anything to go by Celestia was struggling to make her progress then Chrysalis straight up claims it all back and then some in the span of a second.

Edited by QuirkyUsername

And yet he didn't absorb the Friendship Laser

Because he didn't even try to. He was screwed by the plot.

Conjecture that she was keeping Sweetie Bell from waking up

It was clearly show in the episode that Sweetie Belle tried to wake up but couldn't. She had to beg Luna to let her wake up.

Celestia has FAR more will power than Luna. One of them threw a tantrum like a spoiled child because she wanted attention, Celestia had 1000 years of peace after banishing her sister without any incidents 

Battles in the dream world are NEVER one on one battles of might. That are games of subterfuge and trickery. Given Luna's far greater experience, she would easily be able to defeat Celestia in the Dream realm. It would be like a master chess player crushing a novice in a few turns.    

Because he didn't even try to. He was screwed by the plot.

Oh, so that's plot, but when he gets buffer from eating the Mane 6, it's not?

It was clearly show in the episode that Sweetie Belle tried to wake up but couldn't. She had to beg Luna to let her wake up

And yet, Luna couldn't do the same for Scootaloo. Must hate her

Battles in the dream world are NEVER one on one battles of might. That are games of subterfuge and trickery. Given Luna's far greater experience, she would easily be able to defeat Celestia in the Dream realm. It would be like a master chess player crushing a novice in a few turns.    

Luna isn't tricky or clever though, she does nothing without screaming her intentions to the whole world. Celestia has shown far more skill in planning and sneakiness than Luna, with her constant machinations