Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Time travel in My Little Pony?

Akemi Homura

Well, Hearth's Warming Eve was a retelling of how Equestria was made and I really enjoyed that episode, and I also loved Granny Smith's story about the forming of Ponyville, so if the characters actually went back in time to discover the origins of other things in the series, or even just retold more events in pony history, I would probably really enjoy them too, so 10/10.

• Brohoof 2

It depends GREATLY on the nature of the time travel involved, when they time travel to, and what sort of shenanigans they get up to. The subject could be handled fantastically, or it could be an enormous disaster. If they do eventually time travel, I would like for the episode to feature the following requirements:

1. The time travel is not easily accessible on a day to day basis. It can't just be "Oh look here I found this neat spell in a spellbook!" on Twilight's part. It has to be difficult and require something special, such as a portal they can only pass through but have no control over.

2. We do not see clones of the Mane Six as characters in the past. I do not want them running into clones of themselves ever. By clones, I mean relatives that look and sound just like them. That is old, trite, cliche, and worn out. The show is better than that.

3. The episode involves some serious adventure, possibly requring them to fix history because of their own actions. I don't want this to be a fun rowdy jaunt without purpose. There should be a real, solid reason for it to happen.

4. The episode eventually goes more in depth in revealing certain things about history, such as the origins of the Elements of Harmony. I want it to be informative, revealing, used to invest a great amount of creativity into the history of Equestria.

So long as those are satisfied, I would be fine with a time travel episode.

• Brohoof 8

It depends GREATLY on the nature of the time travel involved, when they time travel to, and what sort of shenanigans they get up to. The subject could be handled fantastically, or it could be an enormous disaster. If they do eventually time travel, I would like for the episode to feature the following requirements:

1. The time travel is not easily accessible on a day to day basis. It can't just be "Oh look here I found this neat spell in a spellbook!" on Twilight's part. It has to be difficult and require something special, such as a portal they can only pass through but have no control over.

2. We do not see clones of the Mane Six as characters in the past. I do not want them running into clones of themselves ever. By clones, I mean relatives that look and sound just like them. That is old, trite, cliche, and worn out. The show is better than that.

3. The episode involves some serious adventure, possibly requring them to fix history because of their own actions. I don't want this to be a fun rowdy jaunt without purpose. There should be a real, solid reason for it to happen.

4. The episode eventually goes more in depth in revealing certain things about history, such as the origins of the Elements of Harmony. I want it to be informative, revealing, used to invest a great amount of creativity into the history of Equestria.

So long as those are satisfied, I would be fine with a time travel episode.

That was well thought out. A like for you, sir!

[big post that should not be quoted many times but will doubtlessly receive many replies so I'm hoping to set a standard of not directly quoting it so the thread doesn't quadruple in length from just quotes of the same post again and again.]

Agreed 100%.

After reading your character analysis', I have a lot more respect and awe for The Elements.

I think an episode that focuses on them would be really epic. They're a timeless magic that created the entire universe, so far as we can tell. The Elements are to MLP what the laws of physics and the big bang are to our universe. They not only created order out of chaos, but they keep the world from falling back into chaos, and have done so on many occassions, and on top of all that, they can manifest themselves in individuals as an extremely powerful form of magic that shapes lives and changes the course of Equestrian history.

Anything that has to do with the Elements would probably involve time travel.

It'd probably be a deep episode like the Cutie Mark Chronicles.

It's really funny (in a kinda neat odd way), if you think about it. They've got this extremely epic, timeless, fundamental feel to them, and yet their icons are these everyday ponyfolk in small, rural Ponyville.

Lol, I loved Applejack's line after they were used for the first time: "Gee Twilight, I thought you were just spoutin' a lot of huey..."

• Brohoof 2

Agreed 100%.

After reading your character analysis', I have a lot more respect and awe for The Elements.

I think an episode that focuses on them would be really epic. They're a timeless magic that created the entire universe, so far as we can tell. The Elements are to MLP what the laws of physics and the big bang are to our universe. They not only created order out of chaos, but they keep the world from falling back into chaos, and have done so on many occassions, and on top of all that, they can manifest themselves in individuals as an extremely powerful form of magic that shapes lives and changes the course of Equestrian history.

Anything that has to do with the Elements would probably involve time travel.

It'd probably be a deep episode like the Cutie Mark Chronicles.

It's really funny (in a kinda neat odd way), if you think about it. They've got this extremely epic, timeless, fundamental feel to them, and yet their icons are these everyday ponyfolk in small, rural Ponyville.

Lol, I loved Applejack's line after they were used for the first time: "Gee Twilight, I thought you were just spoutin' a lot of huey..."

I do admit that it seems strange indeed how little we know about the Elements of Harmony, and how their role in the show has been decidedly underused. Not just in terms of their abilities, but also in terms of how well the Mane Six are known. On more than one occasion they seemed to be completely unknown to other ponies despite the fact that they're national heroes twice over. It's almost as if their role as the spirits of the Elements of Harmony is entirely separate from the rest of their lives, only showing up once in a while as a reminder that they're also heroes, but the rest of the time their lives are unaffected by it.

That's why I don't want to see a time travel episode wasted on something frivolous. If they have a time travel episode, they should, as you say, use it to explore the Elements of Harmony, as well as the nature of Equestrian society itself. Give us more background, more information, really use it as the opportunity for world building that it should be.

• Brohoof 1

I do admit that it seems strange indeed how little we know about the Elements of Harmony, and how their role in the show has been decidedly underused. Not just in terms of their abilities, but also in terms of how well the Mane Six are known. On more than one occasion they seemed to be completely unknown to other ponies despite the fact that they're national heroes twice over. It's almost as if their role as the spirits of the Elements of Harmony is entirely separate from the rest of their lives, only showing up once in a while as a reminder that they're also heroes, but the rest of the time their lives are unaffected by it.

That's why I don't want to see a time travel episode wasted on something frivolous. If they have a time travel episode, they should, as you say, use it to explore the Elements of Harmony, as well as the nature of Equestrian society itself. Give us more background, more information, really use it as the opportunity for world building that it should be.

I'm kinda glad they're rarely used, though, it makes their use seem like a really big deal.

It's like Avatar: The Last Airbender; originally, in the pilot, "The Avatar State" was just a like a little trick to get them through the weekly episode fumble. But the creators made the better decision, used it very, very rarely in the series, and as a result, it turned out to be something really awesome and worthy of a lot of respect instead of an annoying plot device.

Speaking of Avatar, it's just occured to me that it's kinda like we have six of them. I mean, it's like each of the elements are an Avatar, each element a sort of being that manifests itself in a pony in this amazing, epic, unending chain, that stretches back far before even Celestia, to the very dawn of the existence of the universe itself. At least, that's how they come off to me, anyways, after reading those character reviews. I mean, if what you said about the sonic rainboom holds, then the elements are a truly great force.

Hmm. I don't really remember "Heartwarming's Eve" very well, but that'd be really neat if you could somehow trace that story back to the Elements. After all, Discord was defeated by the elements, Nightmare moon was defeated by the elements, and banished to the moon by the elements. So they're pretty significant.

Also, does anyone notice that it's only been used where it's been used before, so far? Long ago, Celestia used them to banish Nightmare Moon and freeze Discord into stone. In the series, it's so far only been used on Discord and Nightmare Moon. Both the first times by Celestia, and both the second times, by the six.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Anyways; about their lack of fame at having saved the world: I was writing something long about "How would anypony know", until I realized there was a Star Wars-like celebration at the defeat of Discord.

That really bothers me... It bothered me in "Sweet and Elite", when someone called them something like Ponyville low-class, and now it bothers me even more to think that that person likely saw them awarded medals for saving the world.

Lol, what if the news failed to carry correctly, and the message somehow got morphed into a rumor that Celestia saved the world and some six ponies got involved somehow, or even got in the way?

11/11!

I still want my episode where Rainbow Dash gets struck by lightening while doing a sonic rain-boom, and gets hurled into the future. Old professor Sparkle and her mighty guardian dragon Spike would have to magically assist her return in order for her to save a devastated Equestria. Dashie wasn't there when needed to help wield the elements of harmony, and Equestria fell! The single chance of salvation is in Rainbow Dash being returned to the EXACT second she departed!

You can see I've given this some thought already!

:lol:

• Brohoof 2

This I find strange too, even assuming only Rainbow Dash seems to capitalize on the recognition (in Ponyville only) and the others don't want to make a big deal out of it.

As for the abilities of the Elements of Harmony, I think that they are like the ultimate national weapon in Equestria, kind of like nuclear arms in our world. As such they would be mostly locked inside Celestia's palace, and only taken out in extreme cases.

Well, you're both right in that the Elements of Harmony are a bit too powerful to be brought out everytime something comes up, which really isn't what I'd want to see anymore than anyone else would. It's the fame aspect that bothers me. They're national heroes, twice over, and yet they're completely unknown in every other aspect. Being the spirits of the Elements of Harmony has had almost no real impact on their lives and seems like it's completely unimportant on a day to day basis. You'd think that, if nothing else, they'd see some kind of benefit. Maybe a nod or two on occasion, or heck, a salary from the government as national heroes.

that would be nice, but what lesson what would they learn? 8/10

Don't **** with the past?

And I won't be able to rate it until I see it :P

Edited by Skar