Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do your parents know you're a brony?

defaultremix

Do your parents know your a brony?  

830 users have voted

1. 1. Do your parents know your a brony?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

(edited)

My Parents Don't Know But Still Sitting Here Next To My Dad (Hiding My iPod) I Do My Little Pony Stuffs With Headphones Soo Yeah, They Might Know Cos My Computer I Hid A File In My yogcraft Stuffs And I Hope They Have Come Across It By Accident! I Hope To Tell Them But Haven't Found The Right Time And Way Yet :P I'm Planning On Ponifying My Pc :D idk Yet. But My Friends Know (Bad Choice For Me :( )

Edited by Ali_Derp

I have told my parents that I like the show and I showed them an episode. They were fine with me enjoying it. :) I have not told them about bronies but I have showed them various PMV's and pictures relating to MLP. It's all good where I am. ;)

I'm very open about this kind of thing, I was at first hesitant and it was a while before I told my parents. I told my close friends first and then even converted a few of them into fellow Bronies. My parents still refuse to buy me ponies though ;(.

I'm very open about this kind of thing, I was at first hesitant and it was a while before I told my parents. I told my close friends first and then even converted a few of them into fellow Bronies. My parents still refuse to buy me ponies though ;(.

Hehe, yep you converted me alright. If I ever go anywhere which sells pony merchandise then I'll be sure to pick up some for you.

My parents know, and they're really cool about it. They buy me pony stuff and generally support it like they do for most of my other hobbies. 

I don't think being a Brony is necessarily something you can 'come out' as. I mean, sure its a little different, but its just another hobby, not some life changing revelation. Who cares if your parents know? 

(edited)

My parents know, and they're really cool about it. They buy me pony stuff and generally support it like they do for most of my other hobbies. 

I don't think being a Brony is necessarily something you can 'come out' as. I mean, sure its a little different, but its just another hobby, not some life changing revelation. Who cares if your parents know? 

That's how it should be treated, yes...just like any other hobby. But parents can often be very judgmental of their children's life choices. Perhaps it has something to do the fact that most of our parents were raised in harsher times, when pushing the boundaries of traditional gender roles (and having hobbies associated with the "wrong" gender) automatically made men "sissies". It's sad, but some of our parents - not mine, thankfully - still hang onto those viewpoints.

All things considered, I can certainly see why there are so many "closet" bronies. Parents can be friggin' brutal, man. wacko.png

Edited by Lowline

My parents don't really care. My mom first said isn't that show for little girls and I said there are many people teenagers and adults who like this then my mom said "okay."My dad doesn't know and I'm fine with things being like that.

• Brohoof 1

That's how it should be treated, yes...just like any other hobby. But parents can often be very judgmental of their children's life choices. Perhaps it has something to do the fact that most of our parents were raised in harsher times, when pushing the boundaries of traditional gender roles (and having hobbies associated with the "wrong" gender) automatically made men "sissies". It's sad, but some of our parents - not mine, thankfully - still hang onto those viewpoints.

All things considered, I can certainly see why there are so many "closet" bronies. Parents can be friggin' brutal, man. img-1515062-1-wacko.png

I realise that some parents may feel that way, but it really just seems trivial that they'd argue with their child about something like enjoying a cartoon. I mean, in a world full of murderers, drug dealers and rapists that people can easily become, why have a fit if your child likes MLP? Surely that better than any of the above?

But it really just brings us back to the whole gender expectation thing. I guess some people just don't understand that society has changed, and its a shame really.

• Brohoof 1

My parents know and are cool with it.  My mom even buys me pony merch sometime like trading cards lol.

Before they though I was joking because I am generally a funny/joke-around kinda guy, but eventually they realized I was serious when I  they say me watching all the time on my laptop.  My mom will poke jokes at my here and there to troll me :P and my dad doesn't really say anything about it.

But anyway, they don't really care if I'm into MLP at all since I explained why it's so damn good and that there are millions of bronies out there.

My mom knows and awkwardly encouraged me to watch Equestria girls. It was rather awkward, but I guess that's cool. My dad, however, would need to be stoned to take the news normally. although my moms probably told him, if its brought up around him I don't want to be there.

I went without telling my parents for a while. First my sister finds out, then she tells my parents and everything went bad from there. My parents were pretty PO'd when they found out I watch the show but after a, while they simmered down and they don't care about it. Which is the way I like it.

• Brohoof 1

Both parents actually encourage me to watch MLP. When they watched the show, they saw the beauty in the animation and the wonderful lessons learned. My dad giggles at the thought, but he likes the show too nonetheless. Still, they don't want me buying MLP dolls, which makes me sad.

If my parents found out I was a Brony, man, I don't wanna think about it. My Mum would probably stare at me and call me weird. But my Dad would go mental. He'd laugh at me, call my gay which I know isn't true. I don't think I'll ever get around to telling them.

No, they don't know. I don't intend to tell them either as my mum would never shut up about it and my dad would probably think I'm gay.

They saldly know, they told me i have to "grow up" and they think im gay or something, ever since they found out, ive been let less and less out of the house and the pc (using my phone to write this) i wish they didnt find out... Also, everytime they think im watching the show, they go to my room to check, Nothing but bad stuff has happend ever since they did sad.png

Oh well, they are my parents, nothing i can do... Im sure they are doing it to protect me

Oh no they might thing you're gay. Now isn't that the absolute worst thing in the world you poor soul!

Okay. Seriously folks. You can just say that you aren't gay. Those of us who are actually gay/bi/lesbian/ect don't have that luxury. It really kinda hurts to hear that it's SUCH A HUGE INSULT to be called gay. come on now. I thought the brony community was a little more tolerating than that. I am disappoint.

It really kinda hurts to hear that it's SUCH A HUGE INSULT to be called gay. come on now. I thought the brony community was a little more tolerating than that. I am disappoint.

Sorry. sad.png It's just that I don't like being called things I'm not. I hate it when people are constantly calling others gay for the sake of insulting someone, though.

• Brohoof 1

My parents are still none the wiser. I don't know whether to tell them or let them find out. Either way, I'll be guaranteed to recieve jokes about it for the rest of life. I get that anyway so I should be fine.

They saldly know, they told me i have to "grow up" and they think im gay or something, ever since they found out, ive been let less and less out of the house and the pc (using my phone to write this) i wish they didnt find out... Also, everytime they think im watching the show, they go to my room to check, Nothing but bad stuff has happend ever since they did sad.png
Oh well, they are my parents, nothing i can do... Im sure they are doing it to protect me

Ummm... that's not protecting you, that's restricting you. That's being limited in what you can do based on your choice in TV show.

(edited)

Yes.My mum went psycho and started screaming why the hell do I like the show and asked if I had mental issues.My dad was fine with it he asked me to show him part of a episode and understood why I liked it.Mum wont let me buy pony merchandise because she is againts bronys :( 

Edited by Dj Yexus

OK, lol I am in my 40s, my parents are in the 70s and its not really their business if I like one TV show or another. Specifically speaking, I've not even tried to have an MLP conversation because its so far out of their experience they could probably only compare it to Scooby Doo or something as to what a cartoon is. I don't hide the MLP aspect of my life, though, with a pony desktop everyone sees, they just mostly don't know what all these pretty ponies ARE!

• Brohoof 1

mine don't I don't live with them and I haven't talked to my dad in about 5-6 years and my mom doesn't really pay attention to what im wearing when I see her (mlp hoodies/shirts) but if I did still live with them they'd see all my posters and hear me watching the show from time to time so they'd know. I'm 21 btw in case anyone was wondering.so this probably doesn't apply to me happy.png derpy_emoticon2.png

My parents know, yes. It took a while for me to prove to my mother how different everything is from when she watched the show herself as a kid. I'm yet to prove it to my father. I pray to Celestia he understands.

(edited)

Yes, as a matter of fact my mother does know I'm a brony!  My stepdad doesn't, not because I'm scared to tell him or anything; it's just not something he needs to know, ya know?  My mom learned in the middle of an argument between us, which in all honesty was not the best way to reveal it, but she's cool with it since she knows I have good taste in movies and television. smile.png

Edited by Batbrony

(edited)

Yeah they both know, I told them that the show had a big following on the internet and I told them that it was a good show. I didn't talk much about the brony fandom as such, but still that I'm also a fan. Nothing really too surprising, I like so many cartoons that My little pony isn't really too shocking. They have both seen it and they liked it, so meh I had always planned on keeping it hidden. But I didn't see the point in doing so, if people want to judge me by something I like it wouldn't be the first time anyway. So I sort of stopped thinking too much about it and I don't regret being more open about it. It just feels better being more open about it.

So yeah, they do.

Warning Subaru incoming!

tumblr_mll9onoa7E1qhgta4o1_500.gif

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

The answer to whether or not my parent know if I'm a brony or not is Yes, yeas they know I'm a brony, I told them in hope of being able to go to BUCK, unfortunately they would not allow me because they don't think that Manchester is a very nice area. I got a little teasing from them but nothing much after that evening I said about it.

I would like to know what they truly think of it though and I wouldn't be surprised if they ask me whether I am gay or not, but I generally don't care what they think about me so it does't matter.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh no they might thing you're gay. Now isn't that the absolute worst thing in the world you poor soul!

Okay. Seriously folks. You can just say that you aren't gay. Those of us who are actually gay/bi/lesbian/ect don't have that luxury. It really kinda hurts to hear that it's SUCH A HUGE INSULT to be called gay. come on now. I thought the brony community was a little more tolerating than that. I am disappoint.

um... I never interpreted my parents thinking im gay as a insult in my post, i just said that they think im gay since they keep asking me. My parents are NOT homophobics either, so please dont be so rude Edited by OEG5789