Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to make a simple SIgnature and Avatar

~Starlight~

(edited)

Hello everyone,

As you should know my name is Frozen Mint and today I am going to show you how to make a simple avatar and signature, so people will be able to make there own of course!

Firstly we are going to show you how to make a basic signature...

1) Firstly download (For free) Paint.net

2) Open Paint.net so it opens with a usual screen 

post-8120-0-03987600-1369990692_thumb.png

3) Now resize the page so it is a signature size. 

Normal Member - 100x500 + 100x600

Donor/Moderator - 200x500 + 200x600

post-8120-0-91620800-1369994285.png

4) (I am going to use 100x600 because it will be easier for you to see!) Now you need to make 5 layers!

post-8120-0-47540600-1369994297.png

post-8120-0-65474900-1369994301.png

5) Now you need to decide the theme, I am going to use Aj because she is quite simple! img-1513837-1-biggrin.png

6) Find a vector of Applejack (Or whoever your going to use...) And add a new piece and paste your picture. (Don't delete the signature base!!!

post-8120-0-76287500-1369994308_thumb.png

7) Now shrink you picture with the resize tool again to about 200 height (Keep the 'Main aspect ratio on!)

8) Now use your magic wand, change the tolerance until you have selected all the vector, then press copy and paste is on the signature page. (Paste anywhere you want, but be sure it is pasted on the bottom layer!!!)

post-8120-0-91528300-1369994311.png

9) Now press effects and clouds, this will create a lovely smudge type effect, adjust it until it is as rough or as smooth as you want it! img-1513837-2-biggrin.png (If it does not turn the colour you want, just paint over it the colour you want! img-1513837-3-biggrin.png)

post-8120-0-51465500-1369994321.png

post-8120-0-66560600-1369994329_thumb.png

10) Now again paste your vector on the signature. (This time make sure that it is on one of the top layers!)

post-8120-0-22487200-1369994336_thumb.png

11) Now go back on effects and press glow, and pick how bright you want your vector!

post-8120-0-45707000-1369994341.png

post-8120-0-49890700-1369994348_thumb.png

12) Now on the top layer add some text, (I am going to write Applejack) Then glow the text. (And if you wish also add some sharpen feel free, just mess around with it! img-1513837-4-biggrin.png)

post-8120-0-98225800-1369994354_thumb.png

13) Now on a layer that is below the vector with the square tool draw a square around the signature.

post-8120-0-95256600-1369994360.png

post-8120-0-37019000-1369994367_thumb.png

14) Then paint dot of a different colour all over the square, and it does not matter how messy it is!

post-8120-0-12846000-1369994376_thumb.png

15) Now go on effects motion blur and it will turn out with a lovely border. 

post-8120-0-05586000-1369994394.png

post-8120-0-09823900-1369994402_thumb.png

16) Now with the tools you know of add some extras!

post-8120-0-28452800-1369994413_thumb.png

17) Now that it is complete save it! (Don't forget to change it from paintnet file to Png!)

Okay now that is complete I will now show you how to make a basic avatar! (Again using Applejack!)

1) Open Paint.net and chnage the size to any of these sizes 

Member - 100x100 + 100x150

Donor/Moderator - 150x200

2) Make a few layers. Now get a vector on a different piece, then resize it too the size you want, then paste it on the the avatar base.

3) Make sure it is on the bottom layer, and then press clouds once again. Then paste the Applejack vector on another layer in front of the background.

4) Now add a glow effect on the vector to turn it brighter!

5) Now on a layer that is below the vector with the square tool draw a square around the signature. Then paint dot of a different colour all over the square, and it does not matter how messy it is! Now go on effects motion blur and it will turn out with a lovely border. 

6) Now add text on the front layer, add effects. (Optional!)

7) Now it is complete, save it as a PNG file and you are good to go!

Now you know! So please brohoof and comment, and even have a go yourself! img-1513837-5-biggrin.png Thanks for reading!

Finish Results of this tutorial! 

post-8120-0-53614900-1370017646.png Signature by Frozen Mint/Me

post-8120-0-51741100-1369994560.png Avatar made by Frozen Mint/Me

post-8120-0-21132300-1370017860.png Signature made by Reverie

Edited by ✮Frozen Mint (Aero)✮
  • Brohoof 43

Hmm, I usually use GIMP, but I'm gonna try Paint.net with your procedure. See how it turns out. c:

Thanks for posting this tutorial.

Hmm, I usually use GIMP, but I'm gonna try Paint.net with your procedure. See how it turns out. c:

Thanks for posting this tutorial.

It's okay! Please have a go! I cannot wait to see how it turns out, please post once you are complete because I would really like to see if people can use my walkthrough! :D

• Brohoof 3

Thanks for making this! You've made it seem a lot easier than I thought and the result looks very effective! I've always been interested on how you professional artists make avatars and signatures x3 I might have a go on making something for once ^.^

Cheers!

• Brohoof 2

I have a question though ... how exactly do you vector an image, do you just do the whole take out the background thing with the wand?

• Brohoof 1

Well I finished it, and I do enjoy it. I might start using Paint.net more than GIMP. :P

Paint.net is a lot more simple. c:

Anyway, here is how mine turned out: 

hfk3EfC.png

(I'll set it as my sig after I post this)

• Brohoof 1

I have a question though ... how exactly do you vector an image, do you just do the whole take out the background thing with the wand?

That's pretty much it. Though, you may want to start with a high tolerance (~90 or so) and decrease the tolerance if the wand is taking out more than it should. Helps to zoom in quite a bit so you can see if you're getting enough and not going to leave any little straggling pixels

• Brohoof 1

Really interesting and helpful man, big thanks to you. Although I might not use this knowledge soon, its always cool to learn stuff

I am really glad you like it! :D

Thanks for making this! You've made it seem a lot easier than I thought and the result looks very effective! I've always been interested on how you professional artists make avatars and signatures x3 I might have a go on making something for once ^.^

Cheers!

Yes please have a go I would love to see what you make!

Well I finished it, and I do enjoy it. I might start using Paint.net more than GIMP. tongue.png

Paint.net is a lot more simple. c:

Anyway, here is how mine turned out: 

img-1513859-1-hfk3EfC.png

(I'll set it as my sig after I post this)

OMG! That is so professional! I really love all of it! Simple yet really effective! Honestly it is really nice! :D 

That's pretty much it. Though, you may want to start with a high tolerance (~90 or so) and decrease the tolerance if the wand is taking out more than it should. Helps to zoom in quite a bit so you can see if you're getting enough and not going to leave any little straggling pixels

Thanks for answering the question!

It seems has answered you question! Though it was tricky question and I didn't get it at first either, I just googled it :3

I've always wanted to make a thread like this, but never got around to it.

Though now I want to put together a thread discussing how to make detailed sigs, but I don't think people would want to read an incredibly long wall of text/pictures :|

Kudos to you~ ;)

Nice tutorial, very informative and a great avatar/signature. I don't use paint.NET too much, I mainly use it for the glow effect. I suggest paint.net for people that are just starting to make signatures and gimp/photoshop for intermediate and advanced image manipulators.

I like using gimp, I make my own backgrounds and styles with it, but this tut shows if you use paint.net right you can get a really nice sig.

• Brohoof 3

I've always wanted to make a thread like this, but never got around to it.

Though now I want to put together a thread discussing how to make detailed sigs, but I don't think people would want to read an incredibly long wall of text/pictures :|

Kudos to you~ wink.png

If you did make a thread like that I would happily join, so we could pass on helpful tips to each other and soon everyone will have perfect signatures! :D 

Nice tutorial, very informative and a great avatar/signature. I don't use paint.NET too much, I mainly use it for the glow effect. I suggest paint.net for people that are just starting to make signatures and gimp/photoshop for intermediate and advanced image manipulators.

I like using gimp, I make my own backgrounds and styles with it, but this tut shows if you use paint.net right you can get a really nice sig.

Thanks! I have gimp, but I just prefer Paint.net (This may be because I am a noob! :3) I would have Photoshop but its money, and I don't have that! :D 

• Brohoof 1

If you did make a thread like that I would happily join, so we could pass on helpful tips to each other and soon everyone will have perfect signatures! :D 

Thanks! I have gimp, but I just prefer Paint.net (This may be because I am a noob! :3) I would have Photoshop but its money, and I don't have that! :D

A lot of people just get it from the internet. XD

Also gimp was complicated for me when I was new. ._. But I did make sum gud signatures with

it.

• Brohoof 1

A lot of people just get it from the internet. XD

Also gimp was complicated for me when I was new. ._. But I did make sum gud signatures with

it.

Yes, at the time I made simple signatures, I used it more like a picture organizer rather than a tool. :3 I didn't really understand the tools for it, but I found Paint.nets tools very simple and easy to use but they had good signature outcomes! :D 

• Brohoof 1

This seems like an amazing tutorial, I'll try it out in a moment, I was always Looking to make my own Signatures,

Thank you very much, And I'll report back when I'm finished,

Cheers <3

~Lumi

This seems like an amazing tutorial, I'll try it out in a moment, I was always Looking to make my own Signatures,

Thank you very much, And I'll report back when I'm finished,

Cheers <3

~Lumi

Ooooo! Please post it I love it how people are having a go! I bet it will be really good! I am so glad that people are liking my tutorial!

It seems my windows is corrupted, unable to use paint, I'm stuck on linux,

I'm unable to try it, but still, it's an amazing tutorial, great job :3

Keep it up <3

~Lumi

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the very informative tutorial!!

I have always wondered how people make signatures!!

I am gonna give this a try!!

Could use a new signature,than just text!!

My appreciations for you

Bravo!!

That is all.

It seems my windows is corrupted, unable to use paint, I'm stuck on linux,

I'm unable to try it, but still, it's an amazing tutorial, great job :3

Keep it up <3

~Lumi

Oh darn! Well I am glad you like the tutorial anyways, try deleting it and then downloading it again maybe?  

Thanks for the very informative tutorial!!

I have always wondered how people make signatures!!

I am gonna give this a try!!

Could use a new signature,than just text!!

My appreciations for you

Bravo!!

That is all.

Thanks! I am very glad you like the tutorial :D 

Oh darn! Well I am glad you like the tutorial anyways, try deleting it and then downloading it again maybe?  

I'm trying that right now, I'm looking forward to making a sig,

I've tried with Photoshop, all goes well but it doesn't allow me to use Text >_<

If I get Windows Working I'll let you know, and Show you how the Sig Looks :3

• Brohoof 2

Thanks for the tutorial! Looking forward to experimenting with Paint.NET and creating some sweet signatures happy.png

Just sent an error report, so I'll be making mine a bit later. Will post when finished.

Thanks for the tutorial! Looking forward to experimenting with Paint.NET and creating some sweet signatures img-1513988-1-happy.png

Just sent an error report, so I'll be making mine a bit later. Will post when finished.

Well I cannot wait to see the outcome! Please post when it's finish! Also I am very glad that you like the tutorial! And also if a error occurs just delete it from the memory and then download it again! :D 

(edited)
8) Now use your magic wand, change the tolerance until you have selected all the vector, then press copy and paste is on the signature page. (Paste anywhere you want, but be sure it is pasted on the bottom layer!!!)

Why would they need to use the magic wand tool and paste it to the bottom layer? Since it's a vector it does not matter which area you select because everything around it is transparent. Otherwise it's much faster and smarter to press Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C to select it all and then copy it. Then instead of pasting it on the bottom layer.. How about the top layer? They're going to move it to the top anyways.. tongue.png

If you are going to use Paint.NET, which is a good program for beginners, I highly recommend to download a plugin pack or chose some plugins you'd like in the list to the left here. Some of these can be especially useful.

(To install, go to %dir%/Paint.NET/Effects/ and paste the .dll files there.)

But it's a nice tutorial I guess tongue.png

Here's a weird bad tutorial I made like more than a year ago if you're interested haha http://mlpforums.com/topic/8630-signature-tutorial-for-beginners/

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

Why would they need to use the magic wand tool and paste it to the bottom layer? Since it's a vector it does not matter which area you select because everything around it is transparent. Otherwise it's much faster and smarter to press Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C to select it all and then copy it. Then instead of pasting it on the bottom layer.. How about the top layer? They're going to move it to the top anyways.. img-1514368-1-tongue.png

If you are going to use Paint.NET, which is a good program for beginners, I highly recommend to download a plugin pack or chose some plugins you'd like in the list to the left here. Some of these can be especially useful.

(To install, go to %dir%/Paint.NET/Effects/ and paste the .dll files there.)

But it's a nice tutorial I guess img-1514368-2-tongue.png

Here's a weird bad tutorial I made like more than a year ago if you're interested haha http://mlpforums.com/topic/8630-signature-tutorial-for-beginners/

Meh I cannot be bothered without add ons, but if people can be bothered I would highly recommend them, also I normally use the magic wand because sometimes I need them when I make a background of loads of things and then blur it, so I just got used to it really :D

You forgot to tell people to grab some useful effect addons from the paint.net forums, I can barely do anything int.without some of these addons, personally.

Yes! I totally agree, I find a lot of helpful tips on there, I don't have an account but I would recommend anyone to have a look, things like 3D effects, and stuff! So if you want to make your signature extra special be sure to check the Paint.net forums! :D