Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Changelings who peacefully live among Ponies in Fanfiction

Freewave

(edited)

I have recently been reading wonderful changeling fanfiction stories and i wanted to cover how some fannon that may slowly becoming adopted brony lore.

I'll try not to divulge too much of the plots away but i will cover a few of the broader points.

One is called Flitter which takes place in Canterlot during the royal wedding and with a changeling from a different swarm who has been living with another pony there in disguise until he's forced to be revelaed. It's quite an in-depth storyline dealing with a lot of how changelings are typically different from Chrysalis's swarm and how they actually aren't inherently an enemy of ponies but can peacefully coexist. It takes place in a very large scale (you can read the first chaperr and i bet you will be hooked and it only gets better from there).

The second A Change of Face, is basically Bon Bon is a changeling, BUT it's very well written and goes into a similar plot of a changeling who's lived with a pony so long that she's both fallen in love with that pony but also identifies AS that form. In effect living as a changeling become the lie. It takes place on a less grand scale but a much more personal and emotional one then the story above.

I really like how both of these plots keep the same similarities of changelings living amongst us and becoming more pony and companions to those who feed them self-sustaining love. It also

brings up in both the idea that changelings by nature assumes the form of a pony who dies so they can fully replace that pony and keep that memory and love alive and well.

Now none of these neuter Chrysalis's reign of terror nor make light of her tribe (which is good because they were great bad guys) but it does allow changelings to re-enter Ponyville in other places in frankly fascinating ways where the "villain" isn't necessarily the monster we make them out to be and where peaceful coexistence and love can occur.

Would be happy to discuss some more theory about changeling biology and society as is slowly being revealed or written in the comics or fannon. What is your thoughts on this and do you have any other fanfics or brony music that covers this particular fannon well?  

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Ah, very cool Freewave, might have to check out those fics some time myself.  Like yourself, as I've slowly been immersing myself more and more into MLP fanfiction, I've come to really enjoy this particular genre of fanfiction that involves Changelings attempting to coexist alongside ponies.  The best one I've read as of yet is "The Irony of Applejack", an absolutely riveting epic that is nearly complete; can't recommend it enough, and you should definitely check it out some time Freewave.

My one caveat with this genre is that you always have to watch out which ones you read; if poorly written, the Changelings end up being Mary Sues and written as adapting to pony society FAR too easily, with the only conflict coming from ponies who are written as being uncharacteristically biased and even bigoted to the extreme.  There has to be real struggle to assimilate from both parties in a balanced and measured manner that comes across as realistic and true to the show and characters for this genre to work; while that's certainly no easy task, when pulled off correctly, it works awesomely, so if you find some popular stories in this genre everypony, definitely give them a looksy, because chances are they're a very well written fic well worth the time taken to read it! smile.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Ah, very cool Freewave, might have to check out those fics some time myself.  Like yourself, as I've slowly been immersing myself more and more into MLP fanfiction, I've come to really enjoy this particular genre of fanfiction that involves Changelings attempting to coexist alongside ponies.

I have been reading this fic lately you might like where Derpy finds this injured changling who she mistakes for a pony and nurses him back to health.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/79157/creating-the-impossible

• Brohoof 1

I have been reading this fic lately you might like where Derpy finds this injured changling who she mistakes for a pony and nurses him back to health.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/79157/creating-the-impossible

*gasp* DERPY?!?!  Say no more, I'll definitely be checking this one out when I get the chance!  Thanks for the link and recommend EarthbendingProdigy! derpy_emoticon1.png

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

(edited)

Back to Topic: If Changelings really need to feed of love to survive, but are real individuals and not just a queens' drones... it would end tragic in each way.

But I would like to think better of them than just as wraith/borg-pony-hybrids.

Bring it on, Show!

Give us some Cahngelings again.

Edited by Vexx3
Removed quote of hidden post.

(edited)

Back to Topic: If Changelings really need to feed of love to survive, but are real individuals and not just a queens' drones... it would end tragic in each way.

But I would like to think better of them than just as wraith/borg-pony-hybrids.

Bring it on, Show!

Give us some Cahngelings again.

Yeah I think everyone agrees there should be a episode in season 4 where the changelings return in some form or shape.Everyone thinks Changelings are monsters but that's false.  Would it be a good way to teach racial discrimination?   (I don't know if I even want to go there....)

Edited by Lady Rainicorn
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I think everyone agrees there should be a episode in season 4 where the changelings return in some form or shape.Everyone thinks Changelings are monsters but that's false.  Would it be a good way to teach racial discrimination?   (I don't know if I even want to go there....)

Well racism can be seen as already shown if we consider the three pony tribes in 'Hearth's Warming Eve'. Kind of.

And all the 'speciesism' that partially occurs is also there.

Sheeps being pets even though they talk, Dragons being brute stereotypical teenage boys... And so on.

These are the aspects of the Show that I try to ignore. But my philosophical view and morals are strong...

• 1 month later...

Well i actually got around to putting out a music track based on the second fanfic i linked. Helped there was all this artwork dedicated to it by one particular artist as well.

It's all testament to the idea that the Changeling concept has nearly unlimited potential within the context of the series.

I've said before that I wouldn't mind seeing a Changeling character who's good / trying to be good - as long as Chrysalis stays bad and wreaks havoc again at some point in a major way. Keep her, Trixie, and a walking-the-line Discord, and I personally think you're all set for recurring antagonists.

(I guess one episode with Nightmarity wouldn't be so bad, either...as long as Spike gets to turn her back.) ;)

Yeah i really like how the comic books have added the adventure part missing from the tv series (the stuff that Faust wanted). I'm just not sure that they'll do that much of it in season 4 although i wish they would.

I think it'd be a good idea to have changelings and ponies exist peacefully amongst each other. I think changelings would be useful, because you could literally be in two places at once.

Howdy. Freewave here told me about this little thread here. I'm the author of 'A Change of Face', and I'm very happy that it has inspired someone to create wonderful music based off of it, as well as spark a discussion about these sweet little bug-ponies.

I also happen to be part of a MLP roleplay group on Second Life, and I wrote what we use as the group's 'canon' about changelings, since not a lot of inside information has come from the show or comics yet. Since someone brought up the idea of discussing the biology and such of changelings, I thought I'd post up our 'canon' informate on them from our group. In a way, it's an expansion on what I had in mind when I was writing 'A Change of Face'. I know it won't fit with everyone's own 'head-canon', but I wanted to share it all the same.

And yes, I do play a changeling in our RP group. She's a sweet little thing named Soubrette who's adopted one (soon to be two possibly) homeless foals, and tries to be a loving and protective mother while living peacefully (as peacefully as she can in Ponyville) on her foals' love.

Study on Changelings

A look into their physiology, psychology, and social habits

The Changeling

Changelings are, on the surface, a pony-like creature, but possessing distinct insect-like features. They appear to be predominantly identical, lacking features that would normally make one pony distinct from another. The posses no mane, and their tails are typically fur less, instead being a sort of fin-like membrane. They lack any sort of cutie mark, and their eyes are a cold, featureless blue. This is the typical description that any pony would use to describe a changeling upon first sight. However, there is much more to learn about these strange creatures. In the brief time that pony kind has known about the existence of the changelings, there has been scant few opportunities to study these creatures further. Just what do we know about them that is not simple myth and rumor? Are they a single-minded swarm bent on conquest and destruction? Or is there more to these unusual beings than a pony can see on the surface.

Physiology

Physical Traits

Changelings, at least at first glance, seem to be a race of near identical creatures. Indeed, it is very difficult to tell one changeling apart from another. Without scars left behind from battle and accident, any pony would have a hard time keeping track of which changeling is which. However, we can make many observations about their physical anatomy, and draw some conclusions about their abilities and physiology.

Like a pony, changelings posses four legs, ending in a hardened, hoof-like toe. Just like a pony's, a changeling's hooves allow them to grip the ground as they walk or run, giving them traction on even slippery or unstable surfaces. However, unlike a pony, changelings seem to posses a covering over their hooves of very fine, bristle-like hairs. These hairs are each embedded deeply into a layer of muscle that wraps around their hooves. Individually, these hairs seem to offer little function. But packed together on a changeling's hoof, they give the changeling an ability to grip onto nearly any surface. These hairs are able to dig into and grab onto even the smallest imperfections of a surface. This allows a changeling to anchor itself onto an object, even upside down. This accounts for the reports of changelings climbing up and down walls with remarkable speed during the invasion of Canterlot.

Perhaps the most striking feature of a changeling's body, for any pony who sees one, are the holes. There has been much speculation as to the function of these holes, as they are mainly localized to the changeling's lower limbs. There has been theories involving the release and detection of pheromones and scents, the production of secretions, or part of some sort of complex magical focus. However, it seems that these holes go right through a changeling's limbs, creating the question of how they affect a changeling's skeletal structure. Upon closer examination, it would seem that at the point that these holds start to form on the legs, the changeling's bones comprise the majority of the limb. This not only allows the limb to move and function normally, but makes a changeling's limbs dangerous weapons. Covered by their resilient hide, a changeling's lower legs are dense and strong, allowing them to be used as clubs, battering rams, or any sort of quick tool with which to strike. This also suggests a purpose for the distinct holes. Such dense limbs would result in a greatly increased weight, perhaps more weight than a changeling would be able to support in flight. And so, the holes become a means to lighten these otherwise heavy limbs, allowing them to remain strong, but still be light enough for the changeling to fly and move quickly.

A changeling's body is well muscled but lean. It is, however, not known if this lean figure is the result of a harsh life with little sustenance, or considered the norm for a changeling in good health. What is known, is that an individual changeling's strength is comparable to that of your average pony's. While individual strength can vary greatly amongst ponies, particularly amongst earth ponies, one can make the same generalization about changelings. A changeling may be able to overpower one pony, but find itself outmatched by a different one. What a changeling lacks in strength, however, they more than make up with ferocity.

The skin of a changeling is exceptionally tough compared to that of a pony. More like a dense hide than a skin, a changeling is difficult to injure as a result. While not quite like an insect's shell, a changeling's skin is thick and durable, able to absorb impact and withstand harsh conditions of both heat and cold. This accounts for the reported resilience of the changelings during the attack on Canterlot, where even armored guards found themselves struggling to keep their attackers incapacitated. Over this tough hide, a changeling's fur is coarse and short, with a slight gloss, giving the appearance of what could easily be mistaken for a hardened shell. It would seem that this coarse fur both improves a changeling's ability to tolerate hot and cold conditions, as well as to help protect them from injury in a fight. this fur covers the majority of their bodies, like a pony's, however it softens along their underside, becoming more like a short downy fuzz as one reaches their bellies.

Along a changeling's back there is a hardened shell. With a dark blue color and a smooth surface, this shell protects the changeling from blows even their tough hide can not. It's not known if this shell covers any other physical features, or if it is a strictly external structure, with the changeling's skin extending under it. We can assume, however, that it's primary function is to protect the changeling's spine from injury. Starting at the base of the neck and extending to the base of the tail, this shell runs the length of a changeling's back, and makes attempting to disable them by attacking their bodies very difficult. In addition to this hard carapace, a changeling also has a series of toughened rings wrapping around their midsection. While not as thick or hard as their carapace, these rings seem to be composed of layers of hide wrapped tightly around ribs. It's very likely that these rings are to protect the changeling's vital organs. Indeed, on a queen changeling, these rings are even larger and thicker, providing even more protection. It is, however, possible that these rings may indicate some sort of status within the hive, either a changeling's position or level of maturity. The fact that the queen possesses rings far larger and wider than any other lends credence to this theory.

Sprouting from every changeling's carapace is a pair of translucent, iridescent wings. With a very insect-like appearance, these wings allow a changeling to fly with very fine control. Indeed, even highly trained pegasi are unable to hover with the same amount of control and stability that some changelings are able to exhibit. This level of percussion is not without it's price, though. While they are able to perform quick maneuvers, even with their wings beating at such rapid speeds, changelings are unable to match a pegasus for sheer speed and stamina. Where a pegasus may be able to stay aloft with their wings outstretched, gliding along with only the occasional beat to keep their momentum, a changeling must constantly keep their wings in motion, else they will rapidly fall. The structure of their wings also becomes a weakness. While they are strong and light enough to allow the changeling flight, they are fragile and easily damaged in combat compared to the wings of a pegasus. In a fight, changelings will often become very protective of their wings, and even a minor injury to them will greatly impact the changeling's ability to fly.

One of the other features that many ponies notice on a changeling is their lack of a mane or tail. That is, what a pony would recognise as a mane or tail. Changelings, however, posses fin-like appendages, further adding to their insect-like appearance. Along the back of their necks, this fin is supported by hardened spines, almost like one would find on a fish. This fin seems able to rise and lower, and will often give some indication of a changeling's mood. Should it become sad or scared, the fin will often flatten back, perhaps to protect it from injury. If they are happy or excited, the fin raises. The tail fin is likewise supported by a length of spines, however it appears far less mobile than the neck fin, and it's end will often be tattered and torn. A changeling's fin may serve several purposes, from helping to regulate the changeling's body temperature, to detecting vibrations in the air as a sort of motion detector. It is worth noting, however, that a changeling queen seems to lack these fins. In their place, they have more of what would be considered a traditional mane and tail. It may be that a changeling's fins are an adaptation to make workers and soldiers more alert and aware of their surroundings, where as a queen who's hive is protecting and working for her would have no such use for them.

The teeth of a changeling are quite unlike those of a pony. Sharp and curved, they would typically be considered the traits of a carnivore. However, since a changeling primarily feeds off of the emotions of others, it's quite likely that these teeth are yet another feature designed for combat. Indeed, the large, saber-shaped fangs of a changeling are almost certainly meant for attack, rather than eating. These fangs are so large, they protrude past the changeling's lower lip, even past it's chin, even while it's mouth is closed. However, despite their fearsome appearance, the teeth and fangs of a changeling are as sturdy as those of any pony's, and broken fangs are not uncommon amongst the changelings.

The eyes of most changelings are large and apparently featureless. While icy blue is the most common color for a changeling's eyes, it's possible that some individuals, whether through decent or mutation, may have eyes of different colors. The apparent lack of a pupil or iris in a changeling's eyes is often seen as very unnerving to ponies, and may even be taken as a sign of low intelligence. However, this lack of apparent structure does not seem to hinder a changeling in any way. In fact, it seems that a changeling's eyesight is at the very least as keen as your average pony's. Even more, a changeling seems to have greater low light vision then the typical pony, though this may come at the price of some ability to distinguish colors. If so, this limitation does not appear to effect their ability to mimic a pony's color. A changeling queen, however, has eyes with the same features one would expect in any other pony. The most noticeable traits of a queen's eyes are the slitted, cat-like pupils, and what appears to be a double layered iris. This may suggest that a changeling queen's visual abilities reach far beyond those of a normal pony's. They may be able to see past the visual spectrum of light, perhaps even as far as into magical spectrums.

Like a unicorn, changelings posses a single horn growing from their foreheads. However, unlike a unicorn, the extent of a changeling's magical abilities are subject to much debate. What is certain though, is that a changeling's horn is primarily intended for combat. The smooth, curved shape, pointed end, and almost blade-like profile suggests a weapon for stabbing more than focusing magical energies. Like a unicorn's, a changeling's horn is part of their skull, but thicker and more solidly built. A changeling's horn also lacks fluting, the spiral pattern along a unicorn's horn, further lending to it's blade-like appearance.

A changeling's blood, on apperance, is quite unlike that of a pony's. While a hurt pony will bleed a deep red, the blood of changelings is a almost luminessent green. It seems as if this color permiates many aspects of a changeling, from their blood, to their magic, to the sticky resin they are able to produce. While the color may be very different, it is just as vital to the changeling as a pony's blood is to them. However, it does provide the one sure way to expose a disguised changeling. Even with their ability to mimic a pony's apperance, they are unable to prevent the signs of their true selves from showing through. When injured, a disguised changeling will still bleed green, and it is something any changeling will be sure to avoid letting happen. This would sujest that a changeling's glamor is only 'skin deep', and despite their appearances, they can not change who or what they truly are inside.

Abilities

The hallmark of the changeling race is it's glamor, the ability to mimic the appearance, and even voice, of ponies. This seems to be the main magical ability shared by all changelings. Every changeling, from workers to queens, are able to replicate even the smallest detail of a pony. Mane and coat color, eye color, horns, wings, even a pony's cutie mark can be reproduced by a changeling. This makes them both highly dangerous and difficult to expose.

When a changeling assumes the appearance of a pony, the process seems to be magical in nature. It's not know how far this change extends, if the changeling becomes identical to the pony deeper than just their appearance, or if it is simply an illusion masking the changeling's true appearance. However, those who have had physical contact with a disguised changeling have reported to not have noticed anything unusual about the pony in question. Appearance, voice, feel, even scent seem to be mimicked perfectly. A disguised changeling's mane feels as soft and real as that of the pony they are copying.

When a changeling shifts forms, either to that of a pony or it's natural form, this shift is accompanied by a release of magical energy. This release takes the form of green flames engulfing the changeling, and it is very distinct, both in appearance and in sound. The best way to become aware of a disguised changeling is to hear the sound or see the flash of it's transformation, as the changelings are unable to suppress this release. However, once they have assumed their disguise, it becomes very difficult to detect a glamored changeling.

While a changeling is able to copy the appearance and voice of another pony, they must depend on their wits to mimic the pony's personality. Once a changeling has transformed, the best way to detect them is to look for odd behavior. If a pony acts strangely, does things they normally would not do while avoiding tasks they would normally delight in doing, there is a chance that they may be a changeling in disguise.

Primarily, changelings seem to most often copy the appearance of another pony, which allows them to take that pony's place. In this way, they are able to gain access to important positions within a town or city, to further the goals of the hive, or simply to take advantage of the love other ponies feel for the pony they have copied. Most often, this is done by first removing the pony they wish to copy in some way. Usually, the pony in question is captured, and held someplace secure, often within some sort of protective cocoon, giving the changeling ample time to assume their identity and take their place. This not only allows the changeling to keep the pony someplace out of the way, but lets them slowly feed off of emotions the pony experiences in their sleep.

It is, however, not uncommon for a changeling to create a wholly new appearance. The process is more difficult, but generally far less risky for the changeling. Given time, a changeling is able to craft the appearance of a new pony, in effect becoming a new individual with a new appearance, voice, even cutie mark. This removes the need to capture and hide an original, as well as the need to copy an original's habits and personality, making it less likely the changeling would be exposed. This however also makes it harder for the changeling to integrate themselves into pony society. Without being able to assume the place of an original pony, the changeling will try to present themselves as a traveler, a pony new to the area, or simply try to blend in to the crowd. While this means the changeling will be less likely to be exposed for acting strangely, it also makes it more difficult for them to feed off of the love another pony would get from ponies they already know. This means that the changeling must try to form connections with the ponies around them, something that can prove difficult for some changelings.

Once a changeling has assumed the form of a pony, either one they have copied or a whole new pony, the changeling is able to keep their glamor up for some time. While the amount of time they may maintain this disguise varies, it seems that the limit that a changeling is able to keep themselves transformed is a few days. This includes keeping their disguise up even while they sleep, an ability that makes changeling even more difficult to expose. However, it seems that a changeling must return to their original form for at least an hour, else they suffer some sever negative effects. A changeling who has kept their disguise up for too long will first start to become weak, feeling slightly ill. Soon after they will start to experience headaches and weakness in their limbs. If they continue to maintain their disguise, they run the risk of passing out from weakness, and returning to their natural form. This is often the risk faced by solitary changelings attempting to hide amongst ponies. Without a place to rest and return to their natural form in safety, they put themselves in danger of being exposed when they are at their weakest. Feeding regularly on love will allow a changeling to lessen these negative effects to some degree, but they must still take time to rest in their natural forms eventually.

Keeping their glamor in tact is a conscious act for a changeling. Even maintaining their disguise while asleep takes effort on the part of the changeling. But should a changeling become unconscious, through injury or weakness, they run the risk of loosing their disguise. Just like with any pony, a solid blow to the head may knock a changeling unconscious, forcing them out of their disguise and into their true form in the process. Unfortunately a changeling's natural resilience makes this difficult, and any alert changeling will be wary of traps and ambushes.  

Aside from their glamor, the magical abilities of the average changeling seem to be very limited. Changelings seen during the assault on Canterlot were reported to have been able to produce some sort of magical shield, using it as a way to protect themselves as they came crashing into the city. However, outside of these reports, there were very few instances of any changelings making use of magic aside from the queen herself. It is quite likely that the reports of changelings creating magical shields were something of an instinctual act, a reflex making use of a rudimentary magical release rather than conscious and directed use of magic in the same fashion as your average unicorn. This, however, creates the question of Changelings posing as unicorns. Perhaps the most common ability of a unicorn is the power to levitate objects using their magic. At this time, it's not clear if changelings are able to make use of this most basic of magical feat, which would pose a problem for changelings attempting to pass as a common unicorn. However, even if they are capable of levitating objects in such a manner, it's unlikely that a changeling would be able to make use of more advanced forms of spell casting.

Flight is a clearly documented ability of the changelings. However, there is some debate on if they posses other abilities commonly found in pegasi. Chief among these is the ability to walk on clouds. It would not be unreasonable to expect them to posses this ability, since other flying creatures, such as griffins, are also able to walk on clouds with little difficulty. However, considering their limited abilities with other forms of magic, aside from their glamor, it could be entirely possible that they also lack the ability to cloud walk. At this time, reports of changelings in flight at high altitudes are sparse as best, and there has been no record of a cloud walking changeling.

One curious ability of the changelings, something far removed from anything typical of ponies, is the ability they have to produce a sticky organic resin. Many times during the attack on Canterlot, changelings were able to entrap ponies in a thick, green substance. This resin seems to actually be spit from the changeling's mouth, the same way a pony might spit mucus when suffering from a cold. However, in the case of a changeling, this is a normal, natural process of their biology. Where this resin is produced, and how it is stored till needed, is a mystery. What is known is that a changeling may propel a mass of this resin with some force, though not enough to injure a pony. However, this allows them to potentially trap a pony in place, sticking them to the ground or to a wall. While freshly produced, this resin is very sticky, but fluid and mailable. A moderate amount of strength, or the correct application of magic, is all that is needed to break free from or dissolve this resin while it is still fresh. However, given enough time, this resin will start to harden into a thick, resilient substance, not unlike a translucent plaster. This allows a group of changelings to create the cocoons scene during the attack on Canterlot, as well as produce the structures that make up their hives. A changeling needs time to produce this resin, however. Anywhere from five minutes to an hour are needed to produce enough resin for a changeling to create a projectile with it. But given enough time, groups of changelings are able to slowly build nests, cocoons, or expand their hive. The more changelings working together, the faster they are able to expand. But working alone, one application of this resin is enough for a changeling to momentarily trap a pony, just enough time for them to attack, or escape.

Feeding

Like the Windegos of the frozen north, changelings draw sustenance from emotions. But unlike the Windegos, who feed off of fear and hate, changelings instead subside on the positive emotions of love and happiness. It is something of a curious situation, that creatures who so easily inspire fear and loathing would need love to survive. But whatever the reason, changeling have an almost parasitic relationship with the ponies they feed on. While it seems that changelings could possibly survive on any emotions, the one they gain the most sustenance from is love. To this end, changelings seek to work their way into pony society. By manipulation and replacing ponies by way of their glamor, changelings seek to feed off of the love shared between two ponies.

The process by which changelings derive nourishment from emotion is not known, and is assumed to be some sort of magical process. But whatever the case, it is clear that the more love a changeling feeds on, the stronger they become. It's not known if there is a limit to how much love a changeling can consume, and thus how much power they can gain, but the changeling queen herself was able to overpower even Celestia after fully feeding upon the love of another pony. Without love, however, a changeling will slowly slip into weakness and starvation. It may even be possible that a changeling could even eventually die from lack of love, a fate which drives many to desperate acts.

The search for food is the main driving force behind a changeling's habit of replacing ponies. Often they will observe a potential target for some time, learning about their habits, mannerisms, and relationships. Once they have gained sufficient knowledge about the pony, they will 'remove' the pony in some fashion. Most often, this involves capturing and hiding the pony away in a cocoon. Not only does this allow the changeling to freely replace the pony in question, but it also provides a secondary source of nourishment for the changeling. With the original pony out of the way, the changeling will assume their identity. This allows the changeling to freely feed upon those closest to the pony, drawing strength from them as they are freely given the love and attention meant for the original pony.

There may be times when a changeling, for what ever reason, will not replace a pony. Rather the changeling may attempt to work their way into the lives of ponies as a new, original individual. If anything, this is a long and difficult process for a changeling, but means that it becomes harder for them to be discovered, as they are not having to mimic the personality and habits of an original. But doing so means that the changeling will have to form new relationships with the ponies around them, building bonds of affection in order to gain the love they need to survive. This carries with it dangers not only for the changeling itself, but also for the ponies they grow close to. It may be far more difficult for a pony to accept that the pony they have come to love and cherish is a changeling, as opposed to the realization that a pony they loved has been replaced with a fake.

While trickery and deception are the most common ways a changeling will seek to gain the love they need to survive, it is not the only method they are able to employ. The cocoons that changeling have been observed to use are not merely a way to hold a pony captive. As a pony remains unconscious inside a cocoon, changelings will often feed off of the emotions that a pony experiences as they dream. While it seems that the sustenance they derive from this method is far less than what they would gain from actively replacing the pony, it may be just enough for a changeling to survive. The fact that the changeling may now replace the captured pony make feeding even easier, with both a plentiful supply of love they can actively take as well as an easy supply of emotion in the form of the captured pony. This passive method of feeding need not only be used on an unconscious captured pony. It is entirely possible that a changeling may be able to draw upon the emotions of ponies simply by being near by. As other ponies express feelings of love and joy, changelings may be able to draw upon the emotions spreading from ponies as a means to supplement the nourishment they find elsewhere. If so, it would mean that anywhere that ponies are likely to gather, where emotions can run high, one would likely be able to find a changeling in the crowd, looking for a free meal. Theaters, music halls, crowded restraints, any place where ponies may become emotional are likely to attract changelings.

Unfortunately, the effects of changeling feeding can have a negative impact upon the ponies who fall prey to it. As their feelings of love and happiness are drawn from them, many ponies will start to feel the side effects. At first, these symptoms may be as simple as feeling upset or slightly depressed. A state of melancholy will often be the first sign of very active changeling feeding. As the feeding continues, ponies may become agitated and upset easily. At this point, many ponies may start to experience headaches and blurred vision, as their unstable emotional state starts to effect them physically. If the feeding continues for too long, or if the changeling is too greedy in their consumption of a pony's emotions, the pony may slip into sever depression and become listless, with little energy or willingness to do even the most basic of activities. It may take anywhere from a few days to weeks for a pony to progress to such a state, however. The exact time frame seems to depend on how greedily they are fed upon, and how many changelings are involved.

The process is even longer for a pony being fed on from within a cocoon. As their emotions are slowly drained while unconscious, their dreams become darker and more disturbing. Eventually, the pony's dreams may drive them into madness. Fortunately, it seems that this process takes far longer than that of active feeding, and many ponies suffer few lasting effects, if any, after a short period of recovery.

For those ponies who find themselves unwittingly the victims of passive feeding, the effects are unclear. As the changeling is not attempting to draw emotions from them directly, rather simply feeding on what could be considered 'excess' emotions, there may be little direct impact upon the ponies involved, emotional or otherwise. Perhaps for this reason, passive feeding seems to carry with it the least amount of risk for a changeling, though it offers the smallest amount of nourishment. It could be entirely possible that many ponies are in fact changelings, feeding off the emotions that ponies share between themselves, leaving little trace of their presence if any.

This raises the question, what would happen if a pony willingly fed love to a changeling? The simple answer is that no pony knows. Would a pony's willingness to share their love with a changeling offset the negative effects caused by a changeling's active feeding? Would the changeling simply need to sit back and let the pony fill them with love, or would they still have to actively consume it in the same manner as an unwilling pony? Unfortunately, till it happens, there is no way for us to know. And, at least to our knowledge, it has never happened yet.

While a changeling draws nourishment from the emotions of other ponies, they are still able to eat in the same manner as any pony. This, however, does not lessen their need for love. If anything, it seems that changelings do this for little reason other than to help them pass as a normal pony. While the changeling does seem to digest the food they eat when disguised, they gain no sustenance from it. A changeling may eat till it's belly is near bursting, but would gain no more nourishment from it than a pony would from eating paper.

The flow of emotions between a changeling and a pony need not be a simple one way exchange. Changelings have a way of making ponies around them more at ease, making them more open to suggestion and improving their emotional state. This is done by a type of emotional 'feed back'. In effect, the changeling simply feeds some of the love and happiness it has consumed back to another pony. In the recipient, this subtly shifts their moods, making them feel more relaxed and positive. If done over a prolonged time, this could be used by the changeling to create something of an emotional bond with the pony in question, with the pony developing an emotional attachment to the disguised changeling. In such a way, changelings are able to gently manipulate a pony's emotions to create a greater chance of being able to feed on a particular pony in the future. But this is not without it's drawbacks for the changeling. Since the changeling is having to basically give some of their sustenance to the pony, they run the risk of starving themselves should they not be able to draw more love from the pony afterwards. Most often, this ability is used on sleeping ponies, such as those held within a changeling's cocoon, allowing the changeling to nudge the pony's dreams towards ones that would create favorable emotions for them to feed on. This emotional feed back could possibly be used to help offset the negative side effects of active feeding, further helping the changeling to avoid detection.

Sociology

The Hive

Like some kinds of insects, changelings are naturally hive creatures. The live in large colonies, ruled over by a queen. This lifestyle brings about a unique social dynamic when compared to the lives of ponies. Within the hive, each changeling has it's place, and rarely if ever deviates from it's designated role. Every changeling within the hive lives and works for the hive itself, with no provision given for individual ambition or want. Indeed, it would not be incorrect to say that the structure of the hive prevents a changeling from being little more than a cog in a machine. Everything they do is for their hive, and for their queen.

The queen herself is at the pinnacle of the hive, the one changeling within it that's allowed to privilege of her own goals, but not without a price. The queen's high position carries the responsibility of seeing to her minions' needs. The queen must find not only shelter and food for her hive, but must also see to it's future. Within the hive, it is not clear if every changeling is directly the children of the queen, or simply descended from her through many generations, but what is clear is that on some level the hive operates like one enormous family. Hive changelings look to the queen not only as their leader, but also as their mother.

While the hive provides shelter and support for the changelings within it, it also suppresses them to an extent. A changeling with in a have is rarely seen as an individual, if at all. They operate as one massive creature, bent to the will of their queen. The extent of this control a queen has over her hive is a subject for debate. Do the changelings willingly serve their queen, or does she exert some sort of mental or magical control over them. While it is clear that a queen has the ability to effect a pony's mind, how far this type of control reaches through the hive itself is not clear. What is obvious, is that even at great distances, the hive will work towards it's queens goals, doing all in it's power to carry out her every command.

And yet, changeling show a remarkable level of autonomy when left to their own direction. Far from mindless slaves, an individual changeling will use guile, trickery, and foresight to archive it's goals and that of it's hive. Even within a hive, an individual changeling will often develop it's own unique traits of character, separating itself in some small way from the many other changelings that make up it's hive. This small level of individuality makes it possible for single changelings to operate on their own, without the need for the entire hive backing them in their work. But this may also give insight to the workings of a changeling's mind, and a reason they so readily mimic the forms of ponies. In a way, this need to distinguish themselves from their fellows almost drives them to become a whole other individual, and copying a pony is one way to make themselves unique from other changelings.

Even with how much a hive resembles a faceless mass of copies, there are those changelings that are different from the others. Within the hive, changelings can be divided in to several castes, each one given separate roles to fulfill.

Workers

Perhaps the most numerous of the different kinds of changelings, workers are the ones that tend to the hive itself. They are the ones constantly expanding the hive, keeping it in order, and seeing to the needs of all the changelings within. Aside from their role as workers, there is little to distinguish them from the other castes of changelings. A worker is often no weaker than a soldier, and no less able to alter their apperance than a scout. It may be that workers lack the individual traits of character that are required for the other castes, that they are simply the most average of their kind. Whatever the case, workers tend to lead hard lives within the hive. They dig the tunnels and use resin to build the hive itself, create the cocoons for holding captured ponies, and see to the care of newly hatched changelings.

Soldiers

While no stronger or tougher than workers, soldiers are by far the most aggressive changelings within a hive. They are the changelings most likely to be encountered should a hive go on the attack. This aggressiveness even extends to other changelings, and it is not uncommon for soldiers to attack or even kill other changelings within their own hives should they become agitated in some way. They are also the changelings most likely to become marauders should they become separated from their hive. While dangerous on their own, soldiers are at their most deadly while working together. With weight of numbers on their side, their aggression and a changeling's natural mischievousness often turns into a sadistic form of glee, with soldiers delighting in tormenting their prey before, during, and after capture.

Scouts

The hive is a large, teaming colony of changelings, but is very slow to expand. The area around a newly formed hive will quickly run dry of sources of love and hope, leaving the hive bare of food, requiring the changelings within to look elsewhere for their nourishment. This is the job of the scouts. Sent out from the hive, scouts will explore far and wide if they must, reporting back to the hive with news of lands plentiful with love for the hive to feed upon. They are the spies and infiltrators for the hive, working their way into pony society to gather information and undermine defenses where they are able. When a hive goes on the attack, the scouts will already be there, working behind the scenes to allow the hive to easily gain victory. It is among the scouts that a changeling's potential for individuality truly comes to light. Working their way into the lives of ponies, thinking on their own, often with little or not support from the hive itself, scouts by necessity must be clever and able to think for themselves. Should they become separated from their hive, scouts are the changelings most likely to become rogues, avoiding other changelings in favor of remaining hidden amongst ponies.

Praetorian(Royal Guards)

Even amongst all the other changelings, there are those that devote themselves to their queen above even their own lives. These are the praetorians, the royal guards of the changelings. Distinguished by the armor they wear, their soul purpose is to protect and serve their queen. Above and beyond the devotion of the average hive changeling, it is rare for a queen to be seen without her praetorians close at hoof. With their own needs and desires set fully aside to serve their queen, praetorians are dependant on the labors of workers for their own needs.

Marauders

Either accidental or intentional, it happens that some changelings become separated from their hive. This is a frightening prospect for any changeling. Without the direction of their queen, or the support of their fellow changelings, many do not survive long. Those that do do so either by their whits, or through banding with other solitary changelings. Often, as lost changelings band together, their natural aggression and hive mentality produce a pecking order, with the strongest changeling at the head of the pack. These changelings are known as marauders. Living together with such a violent hierarchy just exaggerates the aggressiveness of the changelings. These changelings are highly dangerous, more likely to simply attack and capture a pony to feed off of rather than assuming the pony's identity. Since the attack on Canterlot, and with many changelings scattered as a result, the number of marauder groups have risen, making it more likely that any group of changelings encountered will be marauders. While they may not be as much of a threat as an attacking hive, marauders are still a danger to any ponies traveling alone through isolated areas.

Rogues

Occasionally, when a changeling becomes separated from it's hive, perhaps a lost scout or a solitary worker, rather than seeking out other changelings to join with, they will attempt to avoid them. With no hive to support them, nor queen to direct them, these changelings will instead depend on their own whits to survive. Seeking to blend in to pony society, these rogues will attempt to vanish from sight, becoming simply another pony in the background. Perhaps out of fear of being exposed, they will often actively avoid other changelings, preferring to keep their disguise intact. When a solitary changeling is discovered, far from their hive and without the support of a band of marauders, it is most likely a rogue which has been found. These changelings attempt to make as little disturbance as possible, struggling to suppress their natural inclination towards mischief as to not expose themselves. A rogue changeling may go undetected for years, provided they are clever and avoid risks. It's possible that many ponies throughout history were in reality rogue changelings, quietly making their way amongst pony kind.

Psychology

Hive Mind

Within the hive, changelings rarely function as individuals. The needs of the hive eclipse any wants or goals of an individual changeling. A changeling within the hive thinks little beyond what it must to do better the hive as a whole. They may want something different, may have goals and needs of their own, but they are pushed aside by the needs of their hive. A changeling must think of the hive first, and itself only if it has time. Even amongst the different castes, little space is given for individual actions. Workers spend their lives seeing to the needs of other changelings, while soldiers are on constant guard for threats, keeping the hive safe while also keeping the workers in line. Praetorians see to the many needs of their queen, insuring that she is safe and can see to the future of the hive. Scouts undertake the constant search for food, always looking for the next source of love to feed the ever growing hive.

Mischief

While it would be easy to consider changelings simply as evil monsters, the truth is something far different. Left by itself, a changeling is no more evil than any pony can be. But they are inclined towards creating mischief. Changelings are tricksters by nature, anything ranging from harmless pranks and practical jokes, to malicious traps and sabotage. The nature of this mischief varies from changeling to changeling, but almost all will have some delight in causing confusion and chaos to some extent.

For the average changeling, their mischief can take many forms. Most will at least be amused at the misfortunes of others, whether or not they themselves were the cause. Many will attempt to play with the emotions of ponies they encounter. This not only is done for the changeling's amusement, but is also one strategy they often employ to aid them in manipulating a pony into offering their love for the changeling to consume. Gossip, rumors, and lies are very common amongst changelings posing as ponies. A few well placed rumors, a subtle suggestion, and a skilled changeling can manipulate a pony into leaving their special somepony and redirecting their affections to whoever the changeling wishes, even themselves.

While this trickery is often done with the ultimate goal being to make feeding easier for the changeling, some are truly malicious in their mischief. These changelings seem to preform cruel tricks and spread lies for no other reason other than their own enjoyment. They will use their glamor and manipulation of emotions to tear friends and lovers apart, drive ponies into depression, and generally create misery wherever they may please. It may be that these changelings are simply bored, and seeing ponies as nothing more than a food source, take pleasure in playing with their food in the worst ways possible.

Still other changeling seem almost benevolent in the ways they manipulate the ponies around them. Using suggestion and situation, they may often nudge ponies together, or urge them towards actions that would create favorable conditions for a changeling to feed. A room full of ponies enjoying themselves creates more love and happiness for a changeling to feed from than a room full of depressed ponies, and some changelings are more than aware of this. While this may seem to be helpful for the ponies involved, it's worth keeping in mind that the changelings undertaking such acts rarely take into consideration the complex nature of a pony's relationships. Often they will nudge a pony towards having feelings for another, without a thought towards how such actions may effect other ponies. Illicit love affairs may very often be the result of a careless changeling simply looking for an easy meal.

Separation

Changelings feel most secure while within the hive, with the support of their fellow changelings and the directions of their queen. But suddenly being removed from that can be a frightening prospect for any changeling. Whether through accident or mistake, some changelings find themselves removed from their hive. These unfortunates go through a period of panic most often, a feeling that the world is barren and dangerous all around them. Many slip into what most ponies would consider a state of deep depression and loneliness. While this makes the changeling vulnerable, it also makes them very dangerous. In their fear and confusion, changelings newly separated from the hive will often lash out aggressively at anything they think may pose a danger to them. A sympathetic pony may find themselves the target of such a changeling's fear and panic.

Many changelings do not survive past this stage of separation. Confused and often starving, those that do manage to struggle through will seek some sort of attachment they can cling to. For many, this means finding other changelings. Sometimes, if the changeling is lucky, they will find a hive willing to take them in, or even their own original hive. For others, it is a group of marauders they end up joining. Lost and paranoid, these new marauders are drawn to the support and promise of food that the marauders can offer, but more often than not, they are treated as fodder, a disposable asset for the marauders to make use of till the new changeling proves their worth to the group.

Still others manage to make it on their own, becoming rogues. These solitary changelings find themselves drawn to the love and happiness around ponies, and will try to work their way into society, using their skills at disguise and manipulation to pass themselves off as simply one of the herd. This is a difficult process for many changelings. Having to become familiar with the complex dynamics of relationships, building bonds of friendship and love between themselves and what was before simply their food, these changelings will often at first appear distant and reclusive to most ponies. As the changelings become more accustomed to life as a pony, they will start to seek out ponies from which they can safely feed, but the risk of detection always weight heavily on their minds. To be found out would mean attack, injury, or simply a slow starvation as they are cast out. They also struggle to suppress their changeling nature, trying to keep their inclination towards mischief and trickery in check just enough for them to find the love they desperately need. Many such changelings live just on the edge of starvation, too afraid to feed actively, and too unsure to create any sort of emotional bond with a pony. It is almost sad, that creatures who so badly need to be loved are too afraid of themselves to reach out to the ponies at hoof.

• Brohoof 2

It's going to be so hard to spin then into a place where they can co-exist (I've not read any fanfic's) with them still needing to feed off love.

Thought I don't hink it is possible that they might just feed of of friendship instead, but even this still has some holes that would need to be filled!