Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponies' Personality Types

Frost Bite

Yes, the pony personality types..what are they? If you have no clue what I am talking about, please, please, go look up MBTI Personality Types. It will save me a lot of time and it is much simpler if you know what you are even talking about, before you post. Now, onto the purpose of this thread.

You're probably wondering, "Where is she going with this?" Well, maybe you have been on a forum and seen these types of threads before..maybe not. Either way, we will still do this. ^^

I am basically making guesses on the Personality Type for each pony and placing it beside each pony's name. Some are blank due to not knowing or I am unsure of what personality type they have.

Pinkie Pie - ENFP

Rarity - [?]

Rainbow Dash - ENTP

AppleJack - ENFP

Fluttershy - ISFP

Twilight Sparkle - INTJ

Discuss, also. Do you agree or disagree with the listed personality types? If you have ideas for Rarity, AppleJack or Twilight Sparkle's personality type, please let me know and I might add it. =D

And for fun, my personality type is ENTP. What's yours?

Edited by Frost Bite
  • Brohoof 1

I’d say Twilight is an INTJ

AppleJack I see as an ENFP

I think Rarity would be the most difficult to pinpoint but if I HAD to guess I’d say she is an ENFJ

I’ve actually taken this test before and my personality type is INJF.

INTJ as Twilight and ENFP as AppleJack? Hm..at least we all agree on AppleJack! xD

INTJ I definitely see Twilight as..it fits her so much.

Rarity is the most difficult, I agree. I had to think long and hard on her, but I still came up with nothing. So, ENFJ for her? I..I really don't see Rarity as that, but like you said, she would be difficult to pinpoint. *ponders again*

You have? The test is so...amazing. I mean, it fits your personality spot on! [Well for me, it did. ^^]

Edited by Frost Bite

i think everyone nailed applejack, and i think twilight was also agreed upon, but rarity is hard, since it kinda changes up from time to time...

BTW i just retook the test

i was right, INTP ^^ unless i'm with close friends... then i'm completely different.

I agree, so I added them to the first post on this page. ^^

You did? Cool. n3n

Ah, I see. INTP. I have the same personality type as you, except I am extroverted.

Derp.

I have to go..I have school in a few hours and I need my sleep. ):

I will probably be on tomorrow at some point..maybe another day, I honestly don't know because school has been so busy, lol.

Anyway...good night all! (:

yes i become a totally different person when around people i know i get crazy.... I'm more of a ESFJ which is 9-13% of the US population

but when i am home or wherever and i'm INTP it looks like i fall in the 1-3% population spectrum

I feel so unique...

or bipolar?

Edited by Rainbow Dashey

Yeah the test fit me too, spot on. Yeah, it seems to me that Rarity is the most complex of the Mane 6 I think we could all agree she is an Extrovert though. Night Frost Bite! Ah, Dashy, I don’t think you are bi polar we are all different when we are alone then when we are with our friends, but unique for sure.

Edited by Flying Whales
  • Brohoof 1

Some of the Mane6 posses multiple personality types, but this is my opinion on the best fit for a single type:

Twilight Sparkle = INTP

Rainbow Dash = ESTP

Rarity = ENFP

Pinkie Pie = ESFP

Applejack = ISTJ

Fluttershy = ISFJ

~~

I think I am an ENFP (?) I can't really remember. It has been such a long time since I took that test. Anyway, I don't really believe in labeling people or putting them into rigid categories like that, because everyone is different and people can always change!

ETA - And like Rainbow Dashey said, you can act like a completely different category around different groups of people.

Edited by Carolina

• 3 months later...

Many of you are probably aware of the pony version of the MBTI, which links each of the 16 types to a character (which was an incredibly great idea). But how agreeable do we think these choices are?

Here's the link: http://cartoonoveranalyzations.com/2011/05/23/the-myers-briggs-type-indicator-for-ponies/

Firstly, in case you're curious, I'm an ENFP (according to this chart, a hyperactive pink pony made of sugar, who is not very well grounded in reality.)

Now for my opinions (and everything here is entirely my opinion): I agree on Big McIntosh, Zecora, Spike, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Applejack's placements. The others, I'm either unsure of or I flat out disagree.

Sweetie Belle comes across to me as something of a dreamer, with an abstractness that seems far more Intuition than Sensing. Introversion and Feeling I'm sure are correct. Judging or Perceiving - I'm not sure. Seeing as she's Rarity's sister, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go with Judging. She's, in my book, INFJ or INFP.

I don't think of Celestia as a Judging type. She seems too chaotic and seems to value certain degrees of disorder (Griffon the Brush Off, A Bird in the Hoof, The Cutie Mark Chronicles in Twilight's flashback and most notably, The Best Night Ever.) In fact, is Celestia even a Thinking type? A part of me reckons she favours Feeling (namely her wish to watch others grow around her), but I'm not sure. I will say that she's INFP or INTP.

Luna, I think INFP is right, but I don't have the evidence to cement this belief. She's too quiet to be an Extrovert. I couldn't imagine a Sensing type being in charge of dreams. Her transformation to Nightmare Moon, and the reasons behind it to me indicates a strong Feeling preference. Judging or Perceiving, I am really not sure. Like Sweetie Belle, she's either INFJ or INFP.

Twilight Sparkle is not a Perceiving type. She thinks like a computer, with her very organized and structured lifestyle, planning things up to weeks in advance. She's not the type who likes surprises. The rest of her functions seem correct. I'm vehement that she's an INTJ.

Is Scootaloo a Feeling type? I'm not sure. ESxP seems right, but generally Scootaloo seems to be too much of a doer and too practical to be a Feeling type. She's to the Cutie Mark Crusaders what Rainbow Dash is to the Mane 6, so ESTP is the obvious type, and the one that I believe fits her best.

Apple Bloom's a tricky one. Intuition and Perceiving definitely seem right (she often plays the role of annoyingly inquisitive child, especially in Season 1). The other functions, I could go 50-50 on. ENTP is one of four types I could see Apple Bloom as, the others being INTP, INFP and ENFP.

Cheerilee? I haven't got a clue. The character never interested me much, and as such I've never been bothered to think about her to any great lengths.

Rarity has a well developed Intuitive side (Secret of My Excess, with her fashion theory she discussed with Twilight comes to mind). In stark contrast, her cutie mark sums up her love for physical beauty. As well as that, she loves her weekly get together at the Spa. Both of these traits seem very Sensing oriented to me, and I believe it's her preference. ESFJ.

I do not think of Trixie as a Judging type. She's a travelling performer, which is the kind of career that I could not picture a Judging type undertaking (there's little to no sense of structure). Extroversion and Thinking are definitely right, and seeing that she's a magician she probably is fairly intuitive. ENTP is my belief.

On another note, I shall order the Mane 6 and Spike from most extreme on one end to most extreme on the other. The middle ellipsis separates the two sides.

Extroversion...Pinkie, Rarity, RD, AJ...Spike, Twilight, FS...Introversion

Intuition...Twilight, Pinkie...Rarity, Spike, AJ, FS, RD...Sensing

Feeling...FS, Pinkie, Rarity...AJ, RD, Spike, Twilight...Thinking

Perceiving...Pinkie, RD, Spike, FS...AJ, Rarity/Twilight...Judging

Edited by Redthir
  • Brohoof 5

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to put this thread!

I wonder if any of you are familiar with certain personality theories. Basically, this thread is to discuss what type of personality do you think the ponies have, according to personality theories.

We can discuss their personality types with theories such as the Big 5 Personality Traits, The Enneagram or MBTI (Myer-Briggs Type Indicator). 

So here's my input. I've enjoyed guessing the personality types of characters through the MBTI theory. Here are my guesses.

Twilight Sparkle: INTJ (The Scientist)

Rainbow Dash: ESTP (The Doer)

Fluttershy: INFJ (The Protector)

Rarity: ENFJ (The Giver)

Pinkie Pie: ESFP (The Performer)

Apple Jack: E/I STJ (I couldn't decide if she was an introvert or an extrovert... maybe you could give your opinions on this?) 

And we can discuss about other ponies in the show :D 

I consider Twilight Sparkle to be a definitive ISTJ since I mainly type based on cognitive functions (those little abbreviations of Si and Ne and stuff). Her inferior function comes across as strongly Ne. For non-typology nerds, that means that Twilight's opposite looks more like ENFP than ESFP, and when she's stressed, she expresses intuition in a negative way. Lesson Zero is an inferior Ne breakdown in a nutshell.

Somewhat contreversially, since I'm a Jungian in personality typing, I type Fluttershy as an extrovert because she's so oriented by the outside world.

• Brohoof 4

Fluttershy's definitely a perceiving over judging. well that's my opinion. and I thought she was sensing.

on one graph I saw she was ISFP, which kinda makes sense.

and I'm pretty certain that twilight would be intj, but the se ne is hard to tell.

• Brohoof 1

I think Applejack is a bit more of an extrovert, sure she is not a party animal like Pinkie Pie or as brash and Rainbow Dash but she has been shown on many occasions to be very friendly and sociable in most social situations. And she gave Twilight the most courteous and warm welcome of any of the ponies when she first got to Ponyville, she invited her to stay and have lunch like she had known her for years.

• Brohoof 1

I would call Applejack more introverted, at least once you get past the superficial things. If you look at how she acts, she may have no trouble with socializing, but when it comes down to anything really personal she has the idea that it's her own problem and she should deal with it on her own (a key point in several episodes).

If we also take Fluttershy as Perceiving over Judging like SR said, and leave everything else as-is, we end up with a really interesting situation where there are exactly 3 of the Mane 6 on each end of all four axes, despite not having any duplicates. Probably not a valid argument, but an interesting observation.

• Brohoof 1

I would've thought Pinkie Pie to be the ENFJ, or maybe between that and ESFJ. The consensus of those two is that they are almost completely based on the people around them. Their satisfaction comes from enriching their surroundings so that other people may prosper. It's exactly Pinkie's quota. The thoughts that she occupies herself with are all in effort to satisfy others, she wants to be the conduit for that - and she's got the people skills to do it. (I'm basing this off of PersonalityPage, a website for different personality archetypes).

Rarity, on the other hand, has traits of ENTP, an idea-based personality type which is very evident in some places. You can see her harvest ideas for the crew's costumes during Suited for Success, based on their individual interests. But ENFJ fills in a lot of gaps for her.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Somewhat contreversially, since I'm a Jungian in personality typing, I type Fluttershy as an extrovert because she's so oriented by the outside world.

I disagree. Fluttershy is definitely an ISFP. The reason why she seems so oriented by the outside world is because Extraverted Sensing is her auxiliary function.

isfp.png

38803365.png

Fluttershy definitely is a lead introverted feeler. She is shy and is focused on what she is feeling. She shows empathy to animals, Discord, other ponies, and is referred to as the element of kindness because she is so emphatic.

20390629.png

Fluttershy's Auxillary function is Extraverted Sensing. This is the reason why you believe her to be an extrovert, because she is very engaged and aware of animals, people, events, and the world around them.

This is why ISFPs are referred to as "The Artists," because of their Auxillary Se, they are very attuned to the world around them, and to their 5 senses. They have a great sense of what looks good. They are able to take that massive Introverted Feeling and project it into the outside world in statues, music, paintings, and all kinds of artistic creations.

94908305.png

I'm honestly not too sure about Introverted iNtuition. I can't think of any examples of her using it, but I haven't watched MLP in months. I'm sure there are some instances of her using it. The reason why she has Ni is because she has Se.

99656367.png

Lastly, her inferior function is Extraverted Thinking. This is why you see her freak out and yell at people  and animals when she gets her feelings hurt. When she got rejected by the animals in "A Canterlot Wedding" her Introverted Feeling was overwhelmed, and she expressed it through her inferior function, Extraverted Thinking. When that dragon attacked her friends in "Dragonshy," her values and principles were violated, and she used Extroverted Thinking, her inferior function to deal with it because she was stressed.

Edited by Commander Urdnot
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't help but feel compelled to respond to this despite it being 6 months old.  I don't know if others have gotten into this in other forums, but this is the one I found through Google and this is the one I'll respond to.

With that short introduction over with let’s get into my analysis of your own.  I'd like to first point out some of the biggest misconceptions made in the Meyer-Briggs behavioral tests.  First and foremost, Feeling does not equate to emotions.  Feeling is a process of judgment that omits logic and vies rather for a 'gut' instinct.  An example could be something as simple as deciding on a shirt to ware.  A feeling person might look at two shirts and say 'this one just feels like the right shirt to ware,' or they may try it on and 'feel' it works better with their outfit or face or hair than the other shirt.  A thinking type person would be more inclined to identify specific aspects as to why one shirt goes better with an outfit over another, 'this particular shade of blue coincides more fluidly with this shade of yellow in my hair, and the pattern on this shirt offsets the lack of pattern on the pants.'  While this example does have some degree of feeling involved it is approached in a logical manner based on prior experience rather than a mere 'gut' decision.

That said, this brings me to my second misconception of the Briggs test.  Judging vs. Perceiving.  What does it really mean?  Judging is not a function of passing judgment on others or necessarily being a more 'organized' person. (Although those tent to coincide with Judging personalities.)  What the Judging function means is that between the Sensing/Intuition function and the Thinking/Feeling function, Judging people favor the later of the two and Perceiving people favor the other.  Perceiving people tend to prefer basing their world on their immediate experiences.  They react to their environments spontaneously and then afterwards will apply a 'judging' function upon their experiences.  Obviously Judging people tend to live by a 'think first act second' motto.  However this whole process is thrown into disarray when dealing with Introverts.  Extroverts are easier to pick up on and figure out behaviorally speaking, they act exactly as they process the world.  However Introverts often come off as the opposite of what they are in terms of Judging vs. Perceiving.

This leads me to my first big disagreement with this analysis.  Twilight.  The picture rates her as an INTP, but this is disputed due to her ridged technical nature.  It would seem at first that, yes, Twilight may in fact be a Judging type, but sadly INTP is notoriously mistyped for INTJ's for this very reason.  INTP's despite being perceiving based individuals tend to drive so much of their knowledge/curiosity into their introverted worlds that they over analyze and break everything down to such a detailed level that they come off as being Judging types.  INTP's may rely on their Intuition for building curiosity and gathering information from the world but when they go to express it outwardly they do so through their judging function and inadvertently over analyze and over process their world.  I have a friend who's is staunchly INTP and she is notorious for correcting anyone who uses a word that may have a slightly 'off color' meaning from the context by which it is addressed in.

Jumping back to the first issue, Feeling, bring into question the analysis of Scootaloo.  I don't necessarily have any personal belief as to whether she is definitively a Feeling or a Thinking type, but I personally feel a need to lean towards Feeling.  Again feeling wouldn't mean she's driven by emotions but it does seem that she tends to make more emotionally based decisions throughout her appearances in the show.  Being a Doer just makes her more of an extrovert, but I have yet to see a lot of 'practicality' in her actions.  Her aim tends to be about making an impression on her friends and Rainbow Dash or just doing something because it’s 'cool'.

Cheerlie?  Agreed, little to base any solid idea on, but the basic depiction seems accurate enough.  ESFJ is a good classic teacher type personality. ExFx love to see and help people grow around them and xSxJ have the kind of methodology with their knowledge and experiences to do just that.

Rarity.  Hmm...I see the reasons why she might be seen as an S type.  Typically people who are in crafting type rolls/jobs in life tend to be S’s, but they also tend to be P types as well, (they are called the 'Artisans').  I also wouldn't necessarily discredit her Intuitive side.  Rarity has a knack for bouts of spontaneous creativity and a strong ability to perceive things on a multitude of levels. I see this as the source of her artistic ability, not based on previous known methodology but creating new ideas. She has a passion for crafting clothing, but it's more than the mere physical aspects of her art that she prides herself in, and she is not shy about expressing that to anyone who tries to put her art down otherwise.  Think of a writer creating an story, yes there are those who simple make a story because it has cool aspects and features, but there are those who write stories that carry a complex balance of metaphors and symbolism, things that are driven by a strong intuitive function needed to perceive things abstractly.  I am inclined to lean towards agreeing with the original ENFJ.

Trixie, I have to disagree with both.  I think she does have a strong Judging function but works more through past experiences rather than letting the multi-layered approach of intuition take ride.  She may be good with magic, but all her tricks were the same.  She learned enough to perform and never branched out into new things.  She used what she knew would get a crowd going and just kept doing the same things from town to town to win popularity.  Honestly she functions very similarly to Rainbow Dash, she just has overpowering egotistical side that drives her down that darker path.  But unlike RD she's less apt to try out new things, and instead seeks to control things around her which makes me lean towards keeping that Judging function.  ENTP's are known for loving that center of attention, but they work through spontaneous charisma, not planned acts.

Which is why I do agree that Apple Bloom just doesn't quiet suit the ENTP face either.  I see a little more ENFP in her, but it could merely be an underdeveloped aspect that she teeters between T/F.  I do however see her fairly clearly as an extrovert.  She has no problem talking to people, (especially adults) and generally thrives around others, (save for the occasional teasing from the bullies, but honestly any kid regardless of extroversion or introversion can suffer through self-esteem issues.)  Apple Bloom also strikes me as a borderline J/P type.  She's unusually gifted at leading which is rare for ENTP's as they tend to prefer coming up with ideas rather than actually implementing them to full fruition, but AB has also shown signs of that smart-ass quick wit charm that comes with the ENTP type.  So I'm on the fence about AB.  But she's young, and the young are the least likely to have solid personality types.

Sweetie Belle I actually think they got right.  Again she's young, her personality is still developing, but I don't really see her as a dreamer.  She seems pretty straight forward in how she deals with people.  I think she has potential for building that intuition, especially in her ability to create songs as briefly seen in their talent show episode.  But that could also just be a function of her 'feeling' judgments rather than perceived intuition (the two functions can sometimes get blurred).  But I'm going to say ISFJ.

I agree with the Celestia analysis.  She is not an INTJ by any stretch of the imagination.  Luna I could see as closer to an INTJ but will agree she's more likely an INFJ.  Celestia however I think is an INFJ or ISFJ.  The only reason I include the possible Sensing type come from when I think about how long she's lived and all the potentially questionable decisions she's made in the past 1000 years.  It’s taken her a fair amount of time to really develop a strong rounded sense of the world.  The wizened words and knowledge she has now comes off to me more as something she learned herself through years of experience rather than through quickly perceived intuition.  Her intuition is strong, yes, but it’s something that had to be developed and before it came around was dominated and may still be slightly overpowered by a more concrete sensing function.  I'm not going to make any solid guesses on her personality, but I will agree that she's not anywhere near an INTJ.  She sure as hell ain't no Dr. House or Sherlock Holmes.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

MBTI (Myers Briggs Personality Type Indicator) is a typology system with 16 different personality types to choose from. Every type is an acronym for the unique combination of preferences that comprise it. 

There are 8 preferences and 4 scales where you choose either one or the other. They are:

Introverted or Extroverted

iNtuitive or Sensing

Thinking or Feeling

Judging or Perceiving

MBTI has a very specific definition of each one that doesn't exactly fit the normal definitions of say 'introversion 'or 'feeling.' For example, MBTI Introverts generally prefer one or a few interests in depth or one or few close friends as opposed to MBTI Extroverts who prefer breadth of knowledge in many subjects and a bigger social network. 

This is not set in stone. People are unique. MBTI does not describe or pigeonhole people. Rarely does anyone ever meet the textbook definition of their personality type. But MBTI does describe preferences in rich detail. 

You can read up more on it if you're interested.

Now to MLP chars! =D These are my best guesses on their types. 

Twilight Sparkle - INTP Clearly introverted, I'm pretty sure of I. N I'm thinking because she specializes in magic and spells which are more based on ideas and principles, require more theoretical thinking, which seems to be more of her thing. She is really detailed and orderly, though. Tries to be anyway. Most MLP characters seems pretty apt at the Feeling preference probably because it's a show meant for girls, but I think Twilight's natural lean on T is obvious by her struggle early on in the series to part from the books and make friends. P and J are a toss up, but if you look at type as a whole, she seems more INTP with her interest in knowledge.

Fluttershy - INFP Introversion is a definite. N and S were a toss up for me. F is obvious for her fondness for living things as opposed to nonliving and because being an animal guru requires being very in touch with your emotional side, high emotional intelligence, empathy, ability to detect subtle emotions and tones etc. which Ts don't naturally tend to have a connection with. P I chose because INFPs tend to keep more to themselves and be quiet artistic types. INFJs can also be like that but they tend to have a lot of ideals and be very outspoken about them. Yeah Fluttershy is very outspoken when it comes to the wellbeing of animals, but she isn't like that about most things. 

Rainbow Dash - ENTJ Accute attention to what's going on around her and an opposition to reading and theorizing in RD's case is a sure indicator of E. I thought about S because of her attention to detail and surroundings, but then one thing changed my mind... the fact that she didn't notice when she was flying with Twilight. She seems to notice things not by every individual detail, but all the details together. She also doesn't seem too interested in organization and sequence so much as tackling a whole thing head-on. T because she doesn't show much interest in people's feelings (not saying she doesn't care, but it's just not the first thing on her mind). J because she is very goal oriented. She doesn't just wait for things to come along. She knows what she wants and how to fill her days. 

Applejack - ESTJ I'm guessing Extrovert because while she does like doing things herself because usually she's the one who can do it right, she seems to really enjoy having people around for group work and activities, and because farm work in her case also involves a lot of sales and working with customers which she also seems to enjoy. If she was Introverted, she might mention things like enjoying the peace and quiet of the farm but usually when she talks about the work she mentioned everyone it benefits and the history (more something an Extrovert would talk about). I'm definitely siding on Sensing because she's very methodical and pays attention to detail. T I wasn't as sure about, really, but again she seems more interested in the /ethic/ of providing for people rather than how it makes them feel... more of the backbone than the heart, though there's certainly heart in it. J for same reason as Rainbow Dash, and because the farm seems very orderly and well organized and planned. She doesn't just do the labor, she figures out when and how beforehand. In comparison, Big Mac is a Perceiver. He goes with the flow. 

Rarity - ENFJ Rarity's fondness for the city suggests E. She seems perfectly okay with crowds and public speaking. Seems like she would really enjoy having a big network of friends and acquaintances whereas an Introvert wouldn't be so eager. N because of her work. Artists and designers tend to be Ns because they envision their finished work and get inspired by those big ideas. Although it definitely takes an S to work with all the nitty gritty details and patterns, I still lean on N. F because while she is very interested in her work, it is specifically for people and pleasing them on a personal level (compare to AJ providing necessities like food, RD who's main focus is sports, and TS who loves learning). J probably more than any other of the main 6.

Pinkie Pie - ESFP Party-planning pony has to be a definite Extroverted Feeler. She's out to make friends. Lots of them. And make them smile. I couldn't figure out if she's S or N... Such an enigmatic pony. But I'm thinking S probably because she doesn't always think things through. P because ESFP is the performer type, definitely makes sense for Pinkie. 

I was going to do Spike too but got tired.

Anyway, I'm not pretending to know everything about the characters and am no expert on Myers Briggs. This is just my off the bat guess. Am totally open to other thoughts, discussion, debate etc! That's what this thread is for.

Edited by Solar-Wind
  • Brohoof 1

This chart has been around for a while you know:

mbti_pony.jpg

Of course there's still plenty of other characters in the show not on this chart.