Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lossless downloads do not complete

ABronyAccount

(edited)

Tested with two random recent tracks. FLAC and ALAC downloads begin and proceed normally but halt at some point before completion, only grabbing ~a dozen megabytes.
Firefox then throws up a message like so:
'C:\*\Luna -Mush.flac.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.'
I managed to "complete" the download for a smaller FLAC track, but several megabytes were missing and the track was cut off at the end. Seems the download failed silently.
I've been able to grab the full mp3 files for both tracks without a problem.

Firefox 21 on Windows 7 64, and downloading over DSL.

(Also, thanks for resolving an earlier issue. I really appreciate what this site is doing for brony music!)

Edited by ABronyAccount

@@ABronyAccount,

Do you experience this on all tracks, or just specific ones? And while we're here, could I please ask you to try downloading the FLAC and MP3 versions of an album as well and see if you can reproduce the issue with either one of those? A large album would work best for testing purposes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This happens to me as well for FLACs. It downloads roughly half of the file, and then: "Download failed. Unknown network error." The MP3 and AAC versions work, and I haven't tested the others.

I'm trying to download "Pony Empires Complete" right now, which is a whopping 729.2 MB. Will update on progress.

Update: Same error. Downloading MP3...

Update: Same error. Could be that large-ish file sizes are causing it.

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

This happens to me as well for FLACs. It downloads roughly half of the file, and then: "Download failed. Unknown network error." The MP3 and AAC versions work, and I haven't tested the others.

I'm trying to download "Pony Empires Complete" right now, which is a whopping 729.2 MB. Will update on progress.

Update: Same error. Downloading MP3...

Update: Same error. Could be that large-ish file sizes are causing it.

Sounds like it, which isn't good. At what points did the FLAC and the MP3 versions of the album break off?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sounds like it, which isn't good. At what points did the FLAC and the MP3 versions of the album break off?

I was just trying an AAC and it cut off around ~25MB. I tried the FLAC again and it cut off around ~45MB. Not sure what to make of that... maybe this:

img-1556214-1-2771270191.png

Update: MP3 made it to ~67MB...

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, I've since tried it with other FLAC files and lossy albums zips.

On Saturday and then again on Sunday I tried to download this album in ogg and mp3 format. The album's tracks seem to be complete when I extract and play them. Sizes don't quite match up with what's posted, but I figure that's just a difference in the way the website, browser, and file manager round out the decimal places.

Tuesday morning I was able to grab the entire FLAC file of this track. It was complete, sizes matched up, it played fine, and everything.

However, as a test just now I tried to download the album The Pony Empires Complete in mp3, like Sky Chaser. My download stopped after only 83.5 of 189.1MB, with no error message. Neither 7-Zip nor Windows can open the zip file, so it's obviously broken.

Then I grabbed the 27MB mp3 and 43MB FLAC versions of Twilight Sparkle's Mind Palace album, both completed successfully.

Finally, I tested the 90MB mp3 and 234MB FLAC zips of the Flutterwhat Returns album. They seem to be the right size and extract/play fine.

So it doesn't seem to be a totally consistent problem.

If you think it might make a difference, I'm also using Bell South as my ISP; probably in about the same region as Sky Chaser. I've been able to download large files from other sites (like podcasts and Linux liveCD images) without issue.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got hit by this again with the FLAC version of Carbon Maestro's Shipping and Handling cover. It stopped around 15.2 and 16.8MB during my two attempts.

I was able to download the 15MB ALAC file without trouble, and converted that into a working mp3 file with foobar2K. Perhaps it was over before a problem could crop up.

The MP3 file downloaded fine from the site.

• 2 weeks later...

this error never seems to happen for tablets and phones that's strange because phones and tablets have weaker hard drives please look into it

Just out of curiosity, what's does everyone's Internet speed look like? I'm currently working my way down the list, downloading all of the stuff you guys are having problems with, and I'm not having any issues. And with Sky Chaser's post, I'm wondering if maybe that's a common theme with the people that are having problems.

Not to blame any of you for having slow Internet, of course, but if that's a related thing, that could bring Feld0 a step closer to figuring out what the issue is.

I have 1 Mb/s, but how could that affect file download completion?

You never know.

It could also simply be your Internet crapping out as well. Back when I only had a 2 MB/sec download speed at my old place, I'd see "big" (as in 100+ MB) downloads dropping out pretty frequently.

But regardless of what's happening, we seem to have identified a common theme among people having download problems. That brings us one step closer to either a solution or an explanation.

Who are your guys' ISPs? Are you on DSL, cable, dial up, mobile, etc?

Your bandwidth shouldn't affect whether a download stops or not; but I wonder if sporadic packet loss could kill the connection.

I have successfully downloaded every track and album with every format mentioned in this thread. So far I am simply not able to reproduce - but it seems that most of you guys who are having issues are on slower and potentially more unstable Internet connections. Do you guys have issues with larger downloads on other sites as well?

OK, could you guys please do the following?

1) verify that https://pony.fm/tracks/618-the-night-seeker does not download completly when selecting FLAC

2) verify that https://pony.fm/albums/40-pony-empires-complete does not download completly when selecting mp3

Even if you have had issues with either of these things before, it's important for this experiment that you verify the problem is still present as close as possible to when you try the other downloads.

Once you are sure that you can reproduce the issue with either or both of these items, try the following download links and see if they complete. Post here with the results.

Site 1:

http://vs1.3dbuzz.com/TheNightSeeker.flac

http://vs1.3dbuzz.com/CarbonMaestro-PonyEmpiresComplete.zip

Site 2:

https://pony.fm/TheNightSeeker.flac

https://pony.fm/CarbonMaestro-PonyEmpiresComplete.zip

Recently Cloudflare was disabled on pony.fm so I think it's safe to assume that this was a problem caused by it.

Unless anymore reports of downloads not completing come in, I think it's going to be safe to assume this is fixed :)

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...