Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to buy ponies from a toy store without getting caught

Belgian&Brony

I'm gonna go get some pony merch tonight! I'll probably troll someone, again! What do you guys think I should do!? I'm not sure...

If you don't know what kind of stuff I do look at my previous post, that might give you some ideas,

• Brohoof 1

I just had yesterday a adventure when I went to buy a rainbow dash

If you really used "in Celestia's name", then... well, it's not wrong, but I can't respect randomly peppering your language with fandom-specific phrases outside of a gathering of that fandom. Especially when confronted by someone trying to insult you for it.

Furthermore... you went home and some guys went up to you and correctly located you? That's a small town, there. Also, a LOT worse than mere disrespect. What kind of weirdo has his friends hassle a person for so little?

...Wait, why was random guy in the girls section?

• Brohoof 1

here is how the conversation would have gone down if that was me

Parasprite: WTF?

Me: What?

Parasprite: I hope it is for your little sister.

Me: And I hope you are able to grow up someday and get over whatever deep seated insecurities about your sexuality, masculinity or both which prompt you to hate others for a harmless hobby until then I have nothing more to say to you parasprite, have a nice day.

As a new fan, I've yet to run into a parasprite like that. That has to be the worst! angry.png That's why I like to buy stuffs on the internet but if I do decide to buy things at the store, I would hope nopony would bother me. 

(edited)

I would hope nopony would bother me. 

So far I haven't either because I have done 90% of my buying online not because I am afraid of care of what others think but because it is more convenient for me, that was just an example of what I would say in that situation. I did just recently get an Applejack shirt so when I do decide to wear that in public I am fully prepared to run into a troll or two. I don't go out of my way to start conflicts or force ponies down anyones throats but I just don't see the big deal of wearing a pony shirt in public every now and then, I wear my Batman shirt in public occasionally and the only reactions I ever got were "cool Batman shirt" but unlike ponies Batman is considered "acceptable" for a 27 year old man to be into so you know.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

So far I haven't either because I have done 90% of my buying online not because I am afraid of care of what others think but because it is more convenient for me, that was just an example of what I would say in that situation. I did just recently get an Applejack shirt so when I do decide to wear that in public I am fully prepared to run into a parasprite or two. I don't go out of my way to start conflicts or force ponies down anyones throats but I just don't see the big deal of wearing a pony shirt in public every now and then, I wear my Batman shirt in public occasionally and the only reactions I ever got were "cool Batman shirt" but unlike ponies Batman is considered "acceptable" for a 27 year old stallion to be into so you know.

Even Batman used to be considered as "for foals" only. But anypony can enjoy it if they want to even if they are fillies. It's a terrible double standard when MLP is looked down upon.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I get more and more tired of the double standard every day, and while I don't try to 'convert' my mates or shove ponies in their faces, I do try to make it clear to them that the teasing does get old and is unfair.

I have mates who are obsessed over sports, and don't stop talking about their favourite team or the latest game or wearing the jerseys and very much wave their love for the sport in everyone's faces. But nobody says anything to them because it's "OK" and "all part of the plan" for blokes to like sport. But when I mention liking ponies, even indirectly, someone always has some comment to make.

I know several girls who love Star Wars, or shooting games, or Doctor Who, or Batman, or cars or sports or any other number of things that are "traditionally male", with no consequence or strange looks. Which is exactly as it should be, but for some reason bronies are exempt from this acceptance. It's very frustrating and I wish it'd hurry up and change, if it's ever going to.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 1

Well I've never tried this but it seems logical:

Walk into the store on your phone looking slightly pissed off and horribly confused. Pretend your talking to a little kid and head to the pink toy isle where the ponies are.

You *speaking on phone*: Um...Okay, (insert girls name that isn't common but not a ridiculous one, like Fern or Tallulah) What was the thing you said you wanted? A teddy bear?

You: Oh a pony! Ok okay sorry, my fault.

You: And which one do you want?

You: The one that makes rainbows? Which one is that? (or describe whatever pony you want)

You: Oh the one with rainbow hair, of course silly me. *if someone's nearby roll your eyes, shrug and smile*

Grab whatever pony it is and go pay for it. Then leave.

How to appropiatle buy ponies.

1. Dress up in your derpy shirt

2. Go to your toy store

3. put some shades on your head

4. Proceed to enter the establishment

5. pick up your desired pony toy of choice

6. go to the cashier

7. cashier scans the item(s)

8. Pay him

9. Leave

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I just go in and buy, and try not to grin like Pinkie or Fluttershy is right beside me, or squee. It's hard bit to squee XD but I manage. I just wear a "meh" face and wait for the cashier to check my items. Nobody's bugged me yet. Maybe because I'm a girl. XD

Edited by Silent Dawn
  • Brohoof 1

I just go in and buy, and try not to grin like Pinkie or Fluttershy is right beside me, or squee. It's hard bit to squee XD but I manage. I just wear a "meh" face and wait for the cashier to check my items. Nobody's bugged me yet. Maybe because I'm a girl. XD

I think it's just easier for us girls.  I mean, the blue hair and Metal t-shirts don't help.  But the only time I really get stares is when I start singing a random pony song at the top of my lungs while TRYING to skip arm and arm with my mom or dad.

• Brohoof 1

I overcame an internal hurdle today and went to an actual toy store to look at pony merch. It took me a while to enter the "buck it, I'm a grown-up man, why should I even care?"-mindset.

It helped that I went to a comic book store and got volume 1 of the mlp comics prior to going in the toy store. The comic book store had like mlp shirts on the walls so it was clearly "brony friendly". That built up my confidence somewhat.

Also, I think it helped that I was drinking a cup of coffee in the toy store. It made me feel mature. sleep.png  

I did not actually buy any toys but there was not really anything specific I was after.

• Brohoof 2

I was looking at the toys yesterday in the girl's toy aisle and a Mom glanced at me and didn't even care. I proceeded to buy the three different variants for the series 2 cards and starting having a conversation about MLP with the clerk. I don't think he exactly liked it, something with the expression on his face.

I got sent to the manager's office once for it, I wouldn't leave the guy at the store alone about which toy I should get.

• Brohoof 1

Or......................... Just be a man, grab the ponies, get out your bank card, and pay for them. Seriously bro. Nobody is gonna call you gay for buying ponies. They wont think anyless of you either. Most will simply ASSUME they are for your sister anyways.

• Brohoof 1

Here's my guide:

1: Enter store at any time of day

2: Find the girls isle with the ponies

3: Take any pony of your choosing

4: Go to the salesman and give him your pony

5: Pay him

6: Take your pony home

7: ???

8: PROFIT

• Brohoof 2

I i'm not shy to buy myself some ponies from time to time but I do like the way to make it look like its not for you, but I love daReapers way omg lol I was rolling on the fool when I had seen that pic

The key is to balance the ponies out with something unquestionably manly, such as wearing a Dale Earnhardt Jr. hat or buying a case of Budweiser. This tactic is completely infallible. Alternatively, look like a hippie. Then no one will care.

• Brohoof 1

I've been hassling the staff at my local store for weeks now about series two pony trading cards and the next wave of blind bags. I am surprised at how many people are shy about buying ponies, I didn't even consider that people would think of it as weird...

Better idea.

1. Walk into the store at your convenience.

2. Toy section. Go there.

3. Grab what you want.

4. Go to cashier.

5. Pay

6. Leave

I like this idea. If the cashiers want to stay employed, they won't be assholes. Couple that with the fact that most shoppers pay no attention to what other shoppers buy, and you may as well be invisible.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...
On 2013-06-09 at 1:34 AM, MelancholicMemory said:

Better idea.

1. Walk into the store at your convenience.

2. Toy section. Go there.

3. Grab what you want.

4. Go to cashier.

5. Pay

6. Leave

No one cares what you're buying, and no one is going to judge you for it. Everyone in the store just wants to grab their stuff and leave. Even if someone did, it's not their damn business what other customers are purchasing. You don't need some complicated plan to make it seem like it's for someone else. Just buy it and move on with your day.

Exactly. Who's going to catch you with an MLP toy? The police? lol! :mlp_icwudt: