Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girl Dolls ARE coming!

Fluttashy

I just got my equestria girls Rarity doll in today! Let me describe how she looks;

Her hair is a vibrant purple, long and wavy. She has one area of her hair in the back that is much longer than the rest. I think it's supposed to look like she has a tail. She looks like she could be somewhere between ages 10-12. She has small breasts and child like hands. An odd thing about her is that she doesn't have any feet. Just boots. I took the boot off and there was just a nub of the leg and no feet. Her top is painted on in the fashion of a one piece swimsuit. Her skirt can be taken off though. Her arms (including hands) and head (include her pony ears)is made of a rubber type material. She doesn't have many joints (Arms, legs, and head.), but her face and make-up is cute but it looks like it's on a child's face. Her cutie mark is on her cheek. Sparkly eye shadow with a bit too much on there. Light blue eyelids and dark mascara. She has shiny hot pink lipstick on as well. Although she is skinny, it makes her look more like a kid trying to be a teenager. Kind like some one who has an older sister that they try to be like but they're still just a kid. All in all, this franchise is marked towards kids and the equestria girls dolls look more like kids than teenagers or adults.

My guess is that the others would be the same kind of design. That is my full unbiased take on what the doll looks like out of the box.

Seriously? They went out of their way to make a huge movie, just to sell these dolls? I honestly don't even know what to say, but why? xD Well, hopefully the people that buy them will enjoy them. 

• Brohoof 1

This is far from unexpected. So I'm not gonna complain about the existence of the line of toys. Although they do seem kind of crappy, in my opinion. I'm not fan of figures really, so your mileage may vary.

I... guess... they're okay...?

Well, they are a huge improvement from the prototypes, but I will say that it would still not be the kind of thing I would want to look at under my parents' notice.

Oh, dear good golly gosh these things are terrifying! I wasn't really a fan of the actual MLP toys, but I honestly do NOT like these. Not one bit. They scare me.

Well to be honest i kinda like them :P (AppleJack scares me a bit tho ) But i think RainbowDash and Rarity look pretty cool, I especially like how they did Rainbowdashes and PinkiePies hair, their a lot better then on the pony toys.

attachicon.gif1361734419082.png

Wow, these are just terrible.  Obviously they were going to be made because that was the whole point of the movie, but my god.  These are like Bratz dolls with an MLP logo slapped on them.  They're like one step away from including makeup and shit in them.  I think Lauren Faust said it best: https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye/status/339175908558639104

Actually, I think Alex de Campi (one of the commentators on the Twitter feed) said it better:

Alex de Campi ?@alexdecampi 27 May

@Fyre_flye Ever melted a plastic doll with a blowtorch and filmed it on a slo-mo camera? It's at once gory and tragic and very satisfying.

I don't like them. 

1) Ohai, welcome to Earth.  So how's the weather in Uncanny Valley these days? 

2) They look like they were designed by somebody who never saw a single episode of the show, but was given color schemes and told to "Make something that looks like catgirl Bratz dolls, and do them in these colors."  Why, Hasbro?!  How long would it take to sit your doll designers down in front of a TV, have them watch the pilot two-part'er, then say, "Make human versions of the main characters"?  Lemme guess: about 44 minutes.  Wouldn't it be worth an hour of their pay to get dolls that actually have something to do with the characters they represent, beyond just the color palette? 

3) I can see the point of those who grumble that they look like hookers.  Because...well...they look like hookers.  Not that there's anything wrong with being a hooker, if you're of age and are doing it consensually.  But, I don't like the idea of little girls being targeted with Cosmopolitan magazine-style hyper-sexualization as something to model.  If they want to spackle on the makeup with a putty knife when they get older, fine.  Buy a makeup subsidiary and market that look to them when they're a more mature target demo.    

4) Yes, Hasbro, I know that for you, FiM and EG are commercials for your toy line.  But, you see, it's really not a good idea to have commercials that are superior to your product by orders of magnitude.  That causes disappointment, and lower sales.  Oh, and don't take this as an argument for making your commercials horrible, too (I'm looking at you, previous MLP generations).  Instead, you should do what I suggested in #3 above, and actually design your toys to be like the characters.  The characters are awesome, which means the toys will be awesome, which means you will sell more of them.  Ask George Lucas how well that works.  If he can hear you while he's swimming in the actual billions of dollars he's made.

Aside: At least now I can see why the EG characters were designed with those ridiculous boots: so the dolls would stand up.

Aside #2: *Little girl pulls her EG doll out of its boots for the first time, sees the footless legs*  "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"  That's some Grade-A Nightmare Fuel right there.

• Brohoof 1

As someone who comes from the Transformers fandom, I can say that show-accuracy never was a very big concern for Hasbro.

Still, a part of me is convinced that these were originally for a completely new and separate toy line, but Hasbro, fearing the difficulty of competing with its own toy lines and preferring the ease of applying it to an already wildly popular line, opted to find a way to work them into MLP.

Which doesn't bother me, as despite fan-raging it's a sound business decision and it ultimately brought us the Equestria Girls movie, which I honestly loved very much (though that credit belongs to the show staff).

I do wish that they were more movie-accurate, but let's face it, these aren't meant for us, and despite inaccuracies they look enough like the characters that I HIGHLY doubt the target audience will notice or care.

Plus, even if they were movie-accurate, I'd probably still not buy them because that'd be unbelievably difficult to explain...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is not one of Hasbro's best ideas ever. Just the thought of a toy being half pony half human is creepy. Sure it had that in the movie, but we don't need it in real life.

Edited by Icy Wonderbolt

I just got my equestria girls Rarity doll in today! Let me describe how she looks;

Her hair is a vibrant purple, long and wavy. She has one area of her hair in the back that is much longer than the rest. I think it's supposed to look like she has a tail. She looks like she could be somewhere between ages 10-12. She has small breasts and child like hands. An odd thing about her is that she doesn't have any feet. Just boots. I took the boot off and there was just a nub of the leg and no feet. Her top is painted on in the fashion of a one piece swimsuit. Her skirt can be taken off though. Her arms (including hands) and head (include her pony ears)is made of a rubber type material. She doesn't have many joints (Arms, legs, and head.), but her face and make-up is cute but it looks like it's on a child's face. Her cutie mark is on her cheek. Sparkly eye shadow with a bit too much on there. Light blue eyelids and dark mascara. She has shiny hot pink lipstick on as well. Although she is skinny, it makes her look more like a kid trying to be a teenager. Kind like some one who has an older sister that they try to be like but they're still just a kid. All in all, this franchise is marked towards kids and the equestria girls dolls look more like kids than teenagers or adults.

My guess is that the others would be the same kind of design. That is my full unbiased take on what the doll looks like out of the box.

1017414_10152895682375316_2117498518_n.j

My Rarity Equestria Girls doll in a Monster high skirt and bow. Along with the things she came with. (Minus the MLP toy.) So that is the real deal of the doll.

(edited)

TBH, the design does work pretty well for Rarity, because the whole "glam girl" thing is her idiom.  Plus the face on that particular doll doesn't look creepifying, and the bow hides the pony ears, muting the Uncanny Valley effect.  But still, the pony miniature at her feet looks so cute there, and kinda steals the show. smile.png

Edited by InvisiblePinkUnicorn

(edited)

img-1588122-1-1017414_10152895682375316_

My Rarity Equestria Girls doll in a Monster high skirt and bow. Along with the things she came with. (Minus the MLP toy.) So that is the real deal of the doll.

So you own Monster High Dolls? Would you mind posting comparison pictures of the Rarity doll and an MH doll? From a picture posted over at /toy/'s MH General, the EQG dolls seem to reach the MH dolls to their shoulders.

It'd be highly appreciated! 

Edited by himanuts

I'm really sorry guys but I really dislike these Equestria Girl Dolls. When I look at them, I see a complete rip off of Bratz or some other girl doll. It looks as if they didn't even try.

At least the movie was decent. It would've been a double fail on Hasbro's part.

So you own Monster High Dolls? Would you mind posting comparison pictures of the Rarity doll and an MH doll? From a picture posted over at /toy/'s MH General, the EQG dolls seem to reach the MH dolls to their shoulders.

It'd be highly appreciated! 

Sure but I'm going to make an Alicorn Rarity doll from one of the create-a-monster (Monster High) packs and then I'll post the comparison. Hopefully mine turns out good.

39100524.jpg

Because it needed to be done.

Anyway, I have no problem with the dolls existing.  If they end up selling well, more power to Hasbro.  And that might encourage them to make a series of EQ, which would be permitted more liberties than FiM.  It would be a net gain for us.

I do, however, have a problem with one design choice.  Putting the cutie marks and their cheeks just looks wierd.

I think the dolls look real good! And i sorta collect dolls so i can't wait to get these. And about the whole 'They ripped off Monster High dolls' thing, i don't think they did. I have Monster High dolls and they are vary different. And even if they are like Monster High dolls a bit its alright...cause this is just how most dolls are made, skinny bodies and big heads! 

• Brohoof 1

I have to admit, maybe other than the Rarity one, these dolls do not look very appealing, especially Applejack.  But you know, they're kind of to be expected with the movie and whatnot, so I'll pretty much just ignore them. 

• Brohoof 1

But in all seriousness I think they look like Bratz dolls gone wrong.

That is exactly what I was thinking!  They're disporportionate and weird just like the Bratz dolls were (are?)  Definitely not on my 'to buy' list.

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit that these dolls are unoriginal.

But I'm okay with them.

Because even though they may look half-starved, would we not still be supporting the people who made the show?

And don't get me wrong, I also with that they looked slightly more realistic, but I don't think that pieces of plastic are causing young girls to feel bad about themselves. I think it's the images all around us of thin, perfect women with perfect hair and perfect teeth and perfect everything. 

And on that note, here: http://www.change.org/petitions/seventeen-magazine-give-girls-images-of-real-girls

Hasbro is primarily a toy company, aren't they? Don't most of their shows get created to advertise the toys they make? tongue.png

Nothing like MLP Barbie Dolls to make ya feel like a man! Now I can create all the misconceptions about my mental health and sexuality. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

To me, the Rarity Doll doesn't even look like a teen or an adult. It looks like a kid or pre-teen. Looks to be 12 years old tops.        With the hair cut shorter, Rarity looks very good.946202_10152900939450316_580440591_n.jpg