Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sheogorath

(edited)

Amy Keating Rogers has actually stated just recently in an interview that Lauren Faust wrote the characters really deep, and that depth is why she enjoyed writing the ponies. http://www.mlponies....erview/#more-52

This interview is amazing.

For “At the Gala” my inspiration was “Ever After” from Into the Woods.

This must be why I love At the Gala so much. I can't believe that I didn't think of it this way before. Now it's become so clear.

Not that that has directly to do with Pinkie Pie, but I figured that since you posted the interview, I'd mention it.

Edited by RockinRarity

Curse you, Pencils! You put it so much more eloquently than I did in my own analysis on our beloved Pinkamena(Said analysis was written over a month before I'd even heard of this forum, so we each came to the same conclusions independently.). I'm not sure why it took me so long to finally read this. I apologize for having put it off for as long as I have.

I enjoyed it and can find no real fault with it. I suppose I slightly disagree as to Pinkie's emotional state, but that may be simply due to different insights.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Hmm, it took me a little less than hour to write out, the actual analysis and character study has taken me several months and many reviews of pinkie content in the series :P Thank you for reading through it, I hope it wasn't too droning :P

You sir have just amazed me..I have been waiting for a long time for someone to prove pinkie isn't stupid or simple minded..I knew she wasn't and this just proved my theory :) Thank you

And oh yeah she was the only one to know what a parasprite was xD

Edited by OdinForced

Perhaps Pencils has posted a further analysis in one of the pages I didn't read, but as for the OP...well...

I don't buy it. I felt as if the majority of it was infected with logical errors.

The one point the OP proved with great clarity is that Pinkie uses her extraverted feeling to accurately understand a number of social settings. Still, there's insufficient evidence to say that Pinkie was planning Luna's reconciliation from the start. Sure, she may have been, but it also may have been planned by Luna as an early step in a plot to overthrow Celestia (win the hearts of the peasants; make her their "favorite princess ever"). Both scenarios are highly unlikely.

The secondary argument revolves around the events of "Bridle Gossip". The OP claims that Pinkie behaved as if Zecora was evil so that ponies would leave Zecora alone. Problem is, everypony was leaving Zecora alone before Pinkie began singing. There is no reason to suspect that Pinkie was on an elaborate plan again as opposed to her just being silly; due to Occam's Razor, the latter may actually be more likely.

As for Pinkie's engineering attempts: They are most amazing for being impossible. In Griffon the Brush-Off, her construction of the flying machine in limited time could not simply have been done by great engineering (unless, of course, she had already built it for a different purpose). While this episode alone shows that Pinkie may have remarkable engineeting skill, her Pinkie Sense is different. That kind of intuition is NOT the sort that Jung theorized about. Pinkie Sense is logic-less. Having an IQ of 200 does not make you more able to predict strange falling objects of the sort shown in "Feelin' Pinkie Keen".

Attempting to suggest that [start]Pinkie's actions, when we don't know if they are caused by genius, must be due to genius as Pinkie is a genius[end] is a logical circle.

The bottom section, even if Pinkie is a genius, does not follow. Perhaps Pinkie never went through misunderstanding as a child. Perhaps Pinkie is a genius but has the sole motive of provoking thought in others. You just can't claim so much knowledge of Pinkie. In addition, the claim that Pinkie's life philosophy is perfect rests on another logical circle: Pinkie is a genius, she accepts a philosophy, that philosophy must be perfect because Pinkie is a genius, ergo Pinkie is a genius. Overall , the last section was an appeal to emotion.

---

I certainly don't think that Pinkie is stupid. I buy the Friendship is Witchcraft explanation (that Pinkie is an orphaned gypsy) as best fanon Pinkie (fanon, as it is mostly unsupported by the show itself). Pinkie needs a lot more analysis, but who knows if she shall yield her secrets.

So thanks to the OP for the analysis. I just wanted to show that Pinkie isn't solved yet. And I apologize for typos/grammar problems: I wrote this in the wee hours of the night without much sleep on an iPhone (virtual touchscreen keyboards kinda suck).

(edited)

Perhaps Pencils has posted a further analysis in one of the pages I didn't read, but as for the OP...well...

I don't buy it. I felt as if the majority of it was infected with logical errors.

The one point the OP proved with great clarity is that Pinkie uses her extraverted feeling to accurately understand a number of social settings. Still, there's insufficient evidence to say that Pinkie was planning Luna's reconciliation from the start. Sure, she may have been, but it also may have been planned by Luna as an early step in a plot to overthrow Celestia (win the hearts of the peasants; make her their "favorite princess ever"). Both scenarios are highly unlikely.

The secondary argument revolves around the events of "Bridle Gossip". The OP claims that Pinkie behaved as if Zecora was evil so that ponies would leave Zecora alone. Problem is, everypony was leaving Zecora alone before Pinkie began singing. There is no reason to suspect that Pinkie was on an elaborate plan again as opposed to her just being silly; due to Occam's Razor, the latter may actually be more likely.

As for Pinkie's engineering attempts: They are most amazing for being impossible. In Griffon the Brush-Off, her construction of the flying machine in limited time could not simply have been done by great engineering (unless, of course, she had already built it for a different purpose). While this episode alone shows that Pinkie may have remarkable engineeting skill, her Pinkie Sense is different. That kind of intuition is NOT the sort that Jung theorized about. Pinkie Sense is logic-less. Having an IQ of 200 does not make you more able to predict strange falling objects of the sort shown in "Feelin' Pinkie Keen".

Attempting to suggest that [start]Pinkie's actions, when we don't know if they are caused by genius, must be due to genius as Pinkie is a genius[end] is a logical circle.

The bottom section, even if Pinkie is a genius, does not follow. Perhaps Pinkie never went through misunderstanding as a child. Perhaps Pinkie is a genius but has the sole motive of provoking thought in others. You just can't claim so much knowledge of Pinkie. In addition, the claim that Pinkie's life philosophy is perfect rests on another logical circle: Pinkie is a genius, she accepts a philosophy, that philosophy must be perfect because Pinkie is a genius, ergo Pinkie is a genius. Overall , the last section was an appeal to emotion.

---

I certainly don't think that Pinkie is stupid. I buy the Friendship is Witchcraft explanation (that Pinkie is an orphaned gypsy) as best fanon Pinkie (fanon, as it is mostly unsupported by the show itself). Pinkie needs a lot more analysis, but who knows if she shall yield her secrets.

So thanks to the OP for the analysis. I just wanted to show that Pinkie isn't solved yet. And I apologize for typos/grammar problems: I wrote this in the wee hours of the night without much sleep on an iPhone (virtual touchscreen keyboards kinda suck).

I have posted further analysis along the way, and now I have even confirmation of Pinkie being a genius from Lauren Faust who kindly answered my question about it in Twitter.

Posted Image

Edited by Pencils
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 years later...

That OP was simply golden ^-^ that's the Pinkie I know and love :D.

This is an ancient topic o.O how did I miss this thread after all my time being here?! 

Edited by Gone Airbourne

• 7 years later...

Even though Pinkie isn't my favorite pony and looking past the obvious comic relief, I understand and relate to her "randomness" from the get-go. It's all calculated!

She's absolutely being silly intentionally and she's completely aware of her surroundings, probably more than any other pony there. She doesnt have to acknowledge every little thing though, all in the pursuit of letting others have fun! :laugh:

She even knows when it's inappropriate to do something that might hurt someone's feelings even though it might be "funny." Like when she stopped Rainbow Dash from pranking Fluttershy, since it could make her feel upset from the prank. And she used that opportunity to prank Dashie instead, who still got a laugh at the end of that scene. Smart!

If that's still considered "random" or even "annoying," then I guess I don't know what is.

• Hugs 1