Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls

iLegovideo

Equestria Girls  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the film

• Flash Sentry steals your waifu - Hated it!
    • "... needs some peanut butter crackers." - Disliked it
    • "What are hands?" - Meh it was okay.
    • "Those are my girls! Woo-hoo!" - Liked it
    • "We helped Twilight win the crown!" - Loved it!

I have to watch this movie! Sadly no movie theatres near me are playing it so I have to wait until it comes out online. I don`t have cable either so I can`t watch it when The Hub airs it. The only way I watch pony episodes is through good ol Youtube. Never lets you down, sometimes. I have read some reviews and have tried my best to stay away from spoilers, but I`ve seen some good reactions so far. I made my own opinion video on Youtube about the movie and I had high hopes for it. I seriously hoped it wouldn`t cause the bronies to revolt and eventually end the fandom. Surprisingly alot of people liked it, and that makes me happy! laugh.png wub.png

Oh yeah if anybody has a link to watch it online please give it to me. Message me or something, because I need to see this. I want to form my own opinions, and so far from what I`ve seen I have high hopes. Thanks so much every brony!

K i just watched it and im going to review it. It might contain slight spoilers but i wont spoil anything major
Story : 7/10
Its nothing all that special, it feels more like a longer mlp fim episode, whiuch isnt really a bad thing but i was expecting something a little more epic. I saw some of you praising the pacing, while i dont think its bad like the season 3 finale i think it still felt a bit rushed, i wanted to see more of the character interactions in this new enviorment. Theres really not a lot of sceens with the mane 6 all together its mostly short scenes inbetween songs. And i have to admit PinkiePIe pretty much owned the entire movie laugh.png she was the funniest part of the movie.
Music: 8/10
Daniel Ingram proved himself yet again, but i cant really say it on par with some of the song from the show. "Fix it up" and the song when Twilight arives in the school are really bland but their there to speed up the plot so i guess i can understand why their there. But "Helping Twilight win the crown" and "This is our big night" are song ill probably be humming all week happy.png
Art: 10/10
Its Mlp: FIM and it has an even bigger budget for this film. If u ask me its really well done, and unlike LPS which is also flash animated and has humans, the people actually move like people. And theres always things to look for in the background like callbacks to the fandom and other fun things.

Some good things about the movie:
-Twilights reaction to becoming human was fun. And it's pretty much how we excpected her to react to this (but im still wondering how she has gains and looses close when entering through the portal? If she took of her clothese and then returned to Equestria would she not have fur anymore?)
-The characters new roles were interesting, and it kinda makes me sad that it seems Fluttershy had no friends blush.png  but it just maked it more interesting.
- I actually like Brad/Flash he brings out an interesting side to Twilight.
-The humor. Duh

The bad:

- Like i said i really dislike the pacing. I wanted more sceens with characters besides Twilight,Spike and Sunset Shimmer

- Sunset Shimmer. While her character had potential and i think more can be done with her, they really made her into a Trixie clone, having Snips and Snails as her minions, wanting to prove shes better then Twilight. And what happens in the end with her (like i said no spoilers, but i cringed when this happened, its very out of character.)

-Snips and Snails. I hate these guys so much.

- No Lyra in the human world sad.png ?

And thats about all i can think of for now

Overall score: 8/10

Go see it if u haven't its worth seeing and will give you some laughs wub.png

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

WAIT NOT FINISHED YET - THE POST THAT IS

I have a string of one-liner reactions to the movie... But I don't think they'll make much sense from an outside perspective...

[0:05:49] Oleg: Why do they call it crown?
[0:06:01] Oleg: I thought it was the Element of Magic.

[0:06:23] Oleg: BIG-CROWN-THINGY

[0:06:35] Oleg: Fluttershy has dialouge...

[0:07:03] Oleg: Woah!
[0:07:24] Oleg : Luna has dialouge... and her performance is different... again...
[0:07:35] Oleg: Her voice always seems to change slightly. :v

[0:09:16] Oleg: Woof woof.

[0:09:43] Oleg : I'm a dead body!
[0:09:50] Oleg : (hurr because purple)

[0:10:35] Oleg : And apparently. NOBODY NOTICED THE PORTAL!!!
[0:10:40] Oleg : Or... what?
[0:10:45] Oleg : Any explanation?

[0:12:17] Oleg : "Want a corndog?"

[0:12:36] Oleg : Hm...

[0:12:51] Oleg : I look like a corpse! (musical jingle)

[0:13:23] Oleg : "Come on girls! Let's get tattoos at age of 11!"

[0:14:12] Oleg : HOLY SHET ITS SEASON 1 FLUTTERSHY

[0:14:35] Oleg : And what are the odds? Twilight learned how to walk.

[0:14:47] Oleg : Dafuq?
[0:14:50] Oleg : These names?
[0:14:58] Oleg : CANTERLOT HIGH!?
[0:15:02] Oleg : WHAT... IS...

[0:15:28] Oleg : Huh. Throwback.

[0:15:58] Oleg : BIG CROWN THINGY

[0:16:25] Oleg : Recycled crying sound.

[0:16:28] Oleg : ...

[0:16:30] Oleg : FEymjgfregthrewiugfvr9ewgbfiurgf97wgqiyufrew
[0:16:30] Oleg : g
[0:16:32] Oleg : rewgvhregfvregfwt
[0:16:32] Oleg : qwsaoidwqhifogewiewcxga
[0:16:38] Oleg : PRINCIPLE CELESTIA
[0:16:42] Oleg : WHAT THE FUCK
[0:16:48] Oleg : WHAT       THE        FUCK

[0:19:10] Oleg : ...Or just steal it and ditch the parallel world?
[0:19:11] Oleg : : p
[0:19:14] Oleg : That's what I would do.

[0:19:58] Oleg : SMITH.
[0:20:01] Oleg : FUCKING SMITH.
[0:20:05] Oleg : DEHELL LOL

[0:20:24] Oleg : Wow. Look at all these stereotypes!

[0:21:56] Oleg : hey look at that.
[0:21:59] Oleg : Parallel version.

[0:24:25] Oleg : DRAMATIC CHORUS FOR A SCHOOL BULLY!

[0:24:42] Oleg : Also, isn't that Trixie's voice actor?
[0:24:44] Oleg : I'm not sure.
[0:24:48] Oleg : I'm terrible at voices.
[0:26:59] Oleg : Huh. Apparently not.

[0:29:35] Oleg : Well. gee...
[0:29:40] Oleg : Trixie fan-service.

[0:29:43] Oleg : OH
[0:29:50] Oleg : IS THERE... DISCORD!?

[0:30:58] Oleg : LAWL
[0:31:00] Oleg : YOUTUBE

[0:32:28] Oleg : "GOOD JOB, SPIKE!"
[0:33:23] Oleg : "BOOKS ARE A GOOD BED!"
[0:33:39] Oleg : Fun fact: They're not.
[0:33:45] Oleg : ...I tried.
[0:33:50] Oleg : They suck.

[0:35:50] Oleg : WOW!
[0:36:10] Oleg : Sunset Shimmer, your Sony Vegas skills suck.

[0:39:23] Oleg : These reasonings for broken friendship suck.
[0:39:57] Oleg : But I do give the movie credit.

[0:41:27] Oleg : My main issue is that the animation is less... well, good-ish.

[0:41:38] Oleg : "Oh hey. Want another corndog?"
[0:41:44] Oleg : Also... romance.
[0:41:45] Oleg : Romance.
[0:41:50] Oleg : ...WHAT IS THIS
[0:41:59] Oleg : Its shitty romance, too.
[0:42:23] Oleg : HEY WE JUST MET - INSTANT SEX

[0:43:55] Oleg : What's with these little ears?
[0:44:07] Oleg : I feel a song coming coming up...
[0:44:13] Oleg : ...No idea why.
[0:44:19] Oleg : I've stopped paying attention.
[0:44:36] Oleg : I've been distracted by my own bullshit.

[0:45:04] Oleg : Winking Fluttershy.
[0:45:44] Oleg : That is all.

[0:46:46] Oleg : Again. What's with the piss-poor romance?

[0:46:57] Oleg : he has done absolutely nothing to her.

[0:47:43] Oleg : LUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN....eh
[0:47:45] Oleg : ...Luna?
[0:47:46] Oleg : Luna?
[0:47:58] Oleg : This Luna is terrible design.

[0:48:06] Oleg : What kind of proof?
[0:48:40] Oleg : Oh hey. The parallel is going to work into its way.
[0:48:44] Oleg : ...nevermind.
[0:48:50] Oleg : Photoshop.
[0:49:34] Oleg : So... Sunshet Shimmer is not punished for faux evidence?
[0:49:42] Oleg : Luna. You suck.
[0:49:45] Oleg : Along with your design.

[0:50:27] Oleg : And that's about all the pony we're going to see of Twilight's true form!

[0:51:02] Oleg : BULLSHIT MODE IN 3 2 1
[0:51:03] Oleg : ...

[0:51:13] Oleg : 30 moons aint that long.

[0:51:32] Oleg : EPIC FACE SPIKE

[0:51:42] Oleg : ANOTHER FLUTTERSHY EPIC FACE

[0:52:32] Oleg : "ITS IMPOSSIBLE"

(even I don't know what this was about)

[0:53:18] Oleg : I'm gonna admit - every Fluttershy close up is insta-win.

[0:54:14] Oleg : More needless romance.

[0:54:20] Oleg : STOP RUINING EVERYTHING, ROMANCE.
[0:54:22] Oleg : YOURE NOT NEEDED
[0:54:23] Oleg : YOU SUCK
[0:54:28] Oleg : ROMANCE SUCKS
[0:54:35] Oleg : Well, bad romance sucks.

[0:55:26] Oleg : OH COMEON
[0:55:30] Oleg : WE JUST HAD A MUSICAL
[0:55:45] Oleg : I already cant remember the musicals before - shows how much memorable they are.

[0:56:01] Oleg : Fluttershy.

[0:59:09] Oleg : Woah. Corndog guy has good jumping skills!
[0:59:31] Oleg : Better than mine - and I am a ninja when it comes to stairs.

[1:02:51] Oleg : FOR SOME REASON CAPS IN ON
[1:02:55] Oleg : AND I CANT TURN IT OFF
[1:02:57] Oleg : I DONT KNOW WHY
[1:03:13] Oleg : Wait...
[1:03:14] Oleg : fixed.
[1:03:17] Oleg : That was weird

[1:04:10] Oleg : And the award for worst design ever goes to...
[1:04:15] Oleg : GENDER BENDER SATAN

[1:04:52] Oleg : Damn. Now she sounds like Chrysalis.
[1:04:55] Oleg : Somewhat.

[1:05:41] Oleg : Teenage army...
[1:05:42] Oleg : Really?

[1:06:01] Oleg : "I have magic... and you have none"
[1:06:06] Oleg : Isn't that...er...
[1:06:20] Oleg : "My followers are many... and yours are none..."

[1:07:17] Oleg : Hair upgrades.
[1:07:31] Oleg : What is this? Dragonball Z?
[1:07:35] Oleg : :3

[1:08:01] Oleg : What?
[1:08:04] Oleg : What is this ending?
[1:08:23] Oleg : Geez. endings are getting worse and WORSE...

[1:08:26] Oleg : How is it possible?

[1:11:04] Oleg : Principle Celestia speech - "either that, or you use propoganda and re-education centres. : )"

[1:11:21] Oleg : Also, I wanted to see parallel Twiligth.

[1:11:47] Oleg : Wait.
[1:11:58] Oleg : I thought the portal was destroyed

[1:13:39] Oleg : This better be not canon.
[1:13:55] Oleg : The romance is irritating.

[1:14:16] Oleg : AND WHAT ABOUT TWILIGHT COUNTERPART?

...I tried putting paragraph breaks between things unrelated, but nope. It keeps glitching up.

So... in summary, I thought the movie was among the ranks of ranging from "okay" to "good". It was not the best thing ever, but neither it was the worst. It had a lot going for it, but also had a lot of missed potential.

But since I suck at reviewing and criticizing stuff. Let me summarize:

• I didn't enjoy the animation as much as I did with the actual show. I can understand this because the animators are obviousloy not accustomated to animating humans. That doesn't mean I can't nitpick about it.
  • some of the character design was really... well, bad, in my opinion. Humanized Luna was one of the biggest offenders in this.
  • I am disappointed with the lack of characters utilized. For example, I wanted more moments like CMC's Youtube video...
  • I have a STRONG hatred for...what's his name? I forgot. I call him the corndog guy because Friendship is Witchcraft. The romance was some of the worst I've ever seen. And his character was also... well, bland. My reasoning? There was no reason for it. They meet. Twilight blushes, and bam. They seem to hit it off quite well. I would overlook it if corndog guy would gain a decent personality, but he is just the generic cool guy. We know nothing about him. Oh, and at first I thought it was Shining Armour. Yeah.
  • The villain was kind of lame, and very disappointing. She had some potential, but it was mostly wasted on evil grinning and goofball henchmen screentime.
  • The movie had an disappointing ending. Like... seriously... BAD STUFF HAPPENING! Oh nvm, everything's good again. And I feel that Sunset had some terrible "character development"...HECK, SHE WAS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSONALITY! (Well, granted, the power of magic helped... probably... BUT STILL!)
  • I didn't think much of the songs. I thought they were generic and bland. But then again, I have shifted away from MLP musicals for a while now and only have a few that I still like (Winter wrapup and Becoming Popular...)
  • ...Which, by the way, reminds me. Gee. This feels different. A LOT different to the original... not sure how to react to that... I guess I liked the original more...?

However, there were things I liked as well:

• Fluttershy faces.
  • Fluttershy faces.
  • Fluttershy faces.

I don't know why, but Fluttershy stole the spotlight for me. I'm not sure about other people, but I really loved her one-time facial expressions... unfortunately, if you look at them as still pictures, they can be kinda... creepy.

Anyhow, let's see...

• I enjoyed how they took the effort off making all the counterparts slightly different to their originals. This was more prominent in the non-Mane 6 characters, but I still thought this was a nice addition. My personal favourite is Cherilee. Not so cheery, though. ^^
  • Fluttershy

Er... That's it... I can't remember much on the positives, because I mostly got my points from the one-liners I typed onto Skype (just so you know, I was initially discussing it with Jamza, but then he had to leave. I, on the other hand, decided to keep talking about it... to myself... Because I'm weird like that.). Anyhow, I can't remember much good about this movie. Other than me having enjoyed it, which definetely means that there is something... Yeah, bye.

Edited by Oleg
  • Brohoof 3

Too much of a lazy ass to review it, at least right now considering I'm on vacation in New Hampshire, but I finally did see a Youtube leak of it that someone recorded via camera, and I agree with everyone that has said it felt like an extended episode; which, for an animated show, is generally a good thing. Funny, well-done, as DHX and cast have always done and I doubt won't continue to do, and plenty of good humor. We also now know a lot more about Twilicorn, such as how she has -not- suddenly become a pro at flying like the S3 series finale may have given the wrong impression over, and much more importantly, how new princesses get uncontrollable wingboners.

post-4006-0-10215100-1372046247.gif

People had little to nothing to worry about, yet again, again, again. Maybe more people can be far more optimistic about S4 now that, yet again, something deemed so horrible in speculation has turned out to be good. AGAIN.

Trust your goddamn studio and the amazing cast that love us and this show just as much as we love it, and them. Every fandom overreacts, but it gets to a point where the intelligent of us can realize this pattern of absolute and utter pessimism prior to seeing the product, and knock it off to at least some extent.

>Expect more detail on plot and such at a later date.

• Brohoof 8

So I just got done watching it and I thought it was pretty good.

I thought it was silly how Pinkie Pie somehow knew everything that Twilight was gonna say and was like "it was just a hunch." That was kinda silly :/

Oh, and Spike totally looks cool (and adorable :3) as a dog. 

Dashie's hair looked awesome and she was awesome, so that was awesome. Did I say awesome enough times?

• Brohoof 1

After watching, I can't say it was anything more than alright. It kinda felt like a ponified Icarly episode to me, but I know quite a bit of people enjoyed it, which is a good thing.

Also,

Derpy in the credits xDDDDD That was awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Just saw the YouTube link. I would have gone to see it in the theaters like any good fan should, but it's not playing anywhere near my area. sad.png

I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Everyone was in-character as well as they could, although Dash could stand to say the word "awesome" a little bit less. The songs are definitely not anything like the songs in FiM, but that didn't make them any less catchy or enjoyable. There's plenty of fanservice and Brony shout-outs, so all fans should feel right at ease. And while I detested the idea of a high-school setting, the movie thankfully focused more on the plot and the characterization, so the setting really doesn't come into play that heavily.

Spike was adorable as a talking dog, as his snarky attitude and Rarity obsession were both in full force. Flash Sentry was a pretty forgettable character, but I for one am grateful that there was nothing more to the "FlashLight" romance than just an implied crush between the two, and that's what I was hoping for. Sunset Shimmer was an entertaining enough villain, if perhaps a bit generic, but the fact that she has a change of heart at the end makes her a lot more intriguing. If Equestria Girls is to continue, and in some form it looks like it will, I'd love to see Sunset's character develop, because there's a lot of potential there.

And thankfully, I'm also a bit more comfortable with Alicorn Twilight. The adorkable Twilight we all know and love is still the same as she has always been. We just have to get used to those large wings. :)

I give it two thumbs up!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Just finished watching the handheld camera version on Youtube, and overall I think "pleasantly surprised" captures my reaction.

On one hand, I wouldn't shower praise on the movie in the same way I have done with the show, or encourage people interested in MLP   who aren't yet devoted fans of the show to see it. The plot line was more or less fairly typical and predictable, and didn't really stray that far from the norm. 

However, I think the movie is just a blast for anyone who's a devoted fan of the show already. It was really fun to hear everyone's reactions as characters from the show popped up one by one, especially with some of the minor characters like Vinyl Scratch and Granny Smith. The jokes and references to the show, like Fluttershy's initial introduction, were fun. The characters remained true to their pony personalities, and the writing in the dialogue was good. I had many good laughs and smiles. 

I was really not too happy with the idea of Twilight Sparkle getting a love interest, and I'm still not too keen on that development, but I'm not as concerned now that I've seen the movie. I may not be the biggest fan of the idea, and I didn't find Flash's character very interesting, but I don't think it will ruin the show. Who knows, maybe in S4 they'll be able to develop Flash's character a bit more and it won't be so bad after all. 

Overall, I'm happy. I think simply the word fun sums it all up pretty well. The show was clearly intended to please and entertain current fans of the series, and I think it succeeded in doing that. 

EDIT: So I hear Flash won't be in S4 according to a Meghan McCarthy tweet, so I guess he was so generic because he's not going to be important in the show. Overall that makes me a happy pony. happy.png

Edited by Danze
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I liked all of the references to the show, there were funny moments, and they kept the themes of the show intact.  But I still don't like the new designs, and Twilight's crush felt out of nowhere and for no reason, plus I think the new characters were bland.

5/10

Edited by Dr. Eggnog
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I had pretty low expectations going in, so I was pretty surprised. The humanized Mane 6 weren't out of character, and there were many show references (which caused a bunch of cheering from fans). It was pretty funny at parts, and the songs were (as always) awesome. I put below a +/- list. As you can see, there are way more positives than negatives.

+:

-Mane 6 were all pretty spot on when it came to their personalities.

-Songs.

-There were many show references.

-Spike is always left out and underappreciated, so it was nice to see him get some solid spotlight time in the movie.

-The art wasn't as bad as I expected. 

-Sunset Shimmer was an interesting villain.

-EDIT: Oh crap, forgot to mention. It was cute seeing the Twilight and Flash Sentry scenes (even though I'm jealous as hell).

-:

-I have a problem with the scene where Rainbow Dash beats Twilight at soccer. Rainbow Dash beat Twilight easily, so I don't see why it felt so good for her to win. If you're way better than your opponent, winning isn't really something to brag about.

-A few scenes some may deem cringeworthy.

Edited by fimdash

(edited)

I finally had the chance to watch this thing img-1588823-1-biggrin.png. I wasn't particularly critical of the movie when the concept and trailers were released, but I'll admit that I had my expectations extremely low. That might have been a good thing though, as they were very easy to surpass. Was it a masterpiece that the fandom will remember for years to come? No. I don't know who thought it would be, but it was worth seeing at least.

Watching the movie was an oddly nostalgic experience. Having an awkward Twilight Sparkle trying to make her way through an unfamiliar place and hopefully figure out how to stop an oncoming problem with the help of some pretty dang amazing companions made it fairly similar to the pilot episodes in some ways. I always liked those a lot more than most of the fandom seems to, so I was ok with that.

The animation was actually not bad, and the characters looked decent in motion. The songs... were a bit too poppy for my taste. I'm fine with pop music actually, but having them all have generally the same feel made them unfortunately pretty forgettable to me. Except for the cafeteria song. That will be stuck in my head for probably the rest of my life ...get up, get down, if you're gonna come around, we can work together, helping Twilight win the crown... See now it's stuck in your head too.

It could actually be pretty funny at times, though they milked the pony gags a bit much in my opinion.

Like all the long MLP episodes, Twilight took center stage. Still not a huge fan of having that happen, but there were some very enjoyable moments from each major character and several others. The CMC, Trixie, Big Macintosh, they covered their bases. My favorite background pony even got to talk img-1588823-2-wub.png Also, Dashie can kick things so hard they light on fire img-1588823-3-ohmy.png. She's the best of whatever she happens to be at the time img-1588823-4-smile.png. Even if Snips and Snails probably got more screentime than her img-1588823-5-angry.png

Unfortunately they missed the mark a bit with characters introduced in the movie. Sunset Shimmer was a bit of a letdown compared to some of the villains in the show itself. I had slim hopes that she'd turn out like Lightning Dust and contrast with Twily in some cool and thought provoking ways, but not so much. She's more or less the stuck up jerk we see in the trailers, and there's not a whole lot else. she gets a few bonus points for being the first villain to blatantly try to kill somebody in something MLP related, but promptly loses them by doing something I'll talk about in a moment. Flash Sentry, for all that some freaked out about him, was barely in the movie at all. I have a feeling that somebody mandated a love interest for Twilight in this thing, and they purposefully made him pretty generic and forgettable to keep that from distracting from the main purpose of the movie. Better than the alternative, I suppose. I don't really need to see him again to be honest.

The ending was... meh. Sunset's breakdown after being defeated was something I'd expect from the kind of lesser kid's cartoon that MLP generally tries not to be. Kind of like Keep Calm and Flutter On but ten times worse (I actually like that episode, but the flaws commonly cited in it are what killed the ending of the movie for me). Ah well. A few seconds of Scootalove helped wash the taste out of my mouth.

Still worth seeing like I said earlier. While it could've used more Dashie ponies, it was ok. Hope there's another movie, and that it blows this one out of the water.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I'm going to join the chorus of likes, and pretty much agree with the other reviewers here so far. A lot of what I'd say has already been said.

Plot: One thing I liked was the way they used the diversity of the HuMane 6 as a key plot point, and getting out a good message at the same time.

Animation: The show is not playing in any theater in my state, so I watched the YouTube handheld version. Spoiler: You people getting up and moving around in the middle of the show--SIT DOWN! It's a short movie! You can hold it 'till the end! angry.png /spoiler. Anyway, since that was the version I watched, I'm not going to try to talk about how good/bad the animation was because I wasn't really able to catch a lot of the nuances anyway.

Songs: As has been said already, the songs are catchy upbeat pop. They probably won't be sung around post-Apocalyptic campfires a thousand years from now, but they were entertaining and unobtrusive. I don't like musicals, particularly when song and dance numbers interrupt the story, and suddenly people in the street are dancing with perfect choreography. In EG, the songs integrate well with the plot, and the pivotal dance number was incorporated as something the characters planned and carried out for a reason.

Background Characters: I'm not quite brony enough to do the whole, "Oh, hey, look, over there in the left hand corner behind Dr. Whooves, Derpy, and Lyra, you can see Muffin Glitter! That's her left front hoof, right there, can you see it? OMG, that's so awesome!" thing. The theatergoers were enjoying the Easter eggs and references though.

The Mane Flaw: The one big flaw of Equestria Girls in my opinion is that it's missing about a half-hour that it really could have used. Kids watch full-length motion pictures (e.g. the whole Pixar filmography) all the time, so I don't see why they had to make EG so short. With a little more time, they could have fulfilled a lot of the film's lost potential, and probably have made it a film on a par with those of the Disney/Pixar juggernaut.

The Villain: Sunset Shimmer had some good potential as a villain, but the film's brevity kept them from really developing her character and her schemes as much as they deserved. She's something of a kit-bash of Diamond Tiara and Trixie in personality, though she has more grand-scale malevolent intentions than they do. She's a calculating villain who does a good job with using her familiarity with Not Quite Earth (and Twilight's unfamiliarity with it) to her advantage. But, due to the brevity, the film gallops past the results, so to speak, and there isn't time for Twilight to really suffer the humiliation Sunset arranged for her.

It's implied that Sunset had a conflict with Trixie prior to Twilight's arrival:

Mention is made of what happened to "the other girl" who tried to challenge Sunset Shimmer for the Fall Princess title once, as a dire warning to Twilight not to try. "The Great and Powerful" Trixie is just the type to be that girl. Sunset has H!Trixie's minions serving her, so it seems likely she was the other failed contender. H!Trixie does make a cameo appearance in EG. With more time, they could have put in a scene that showed Trixie truly broken and miserable, raising the stakes for Twilight and helping establish Sunset's level of viciousness. It would also have highlighted a nice contrast between the way Sunset Shimmer reacts when challenged, vs. the way Twilight responded to Trixie's efforts to "be the better wizard." Instead, Trixie's appearance is limited to a shout-out cameo, and she's her normal self.

Also, it could have been a really cool thing for Twilight to approach Trixie and help her heal. Maybe Trixie could have been the one to fill out the HuMane 6 at the end, in a sense letting her achieve pony!Trixie's goal of "supplanting" Twilight.

The Ending: There have been some comments that Sunset Shimmer acts out of character at the end. Not necessarily...

After Twilight and her friends defeat her, Sunset Shimmer apologizes with tear-stained eyes, making pleas that she doesn't understand the "Magic of Friendship" Twilight & co. use to defeat her. Twilight is forgiving, and offers her a chance to let Twilight's human friends show her What It's All About. Out of character? Perhaps, but Sunset is portrayed as someone willing to masquerade as kind, innocent, and friendly in order to position herself for a backstab. She knows that portal is going to open up again in another 30 Moons, so she has time to plan and gather resources...

FlashLight: Here's another area where full length could really have helped. There's no time at all in the movie to develop Flash Sentry as a character, or build any real rapport or chemistry between him and Twilight. He's just a Generic Cool Dude, at least in part because his actual screen time/interaction with Twilight is measured in seconds. With time, they could have had scenes where he sees Twilight doing silly things because she's still figuring out Being Human (picking things up with her mouth, saying "anypony," walking on all fours, etc.), and cut his friends off from laughing at her because he accepts, even likes, her quirkiness. Maybe he could have had some quirks of his own, which Twilight mistakenly takes as normal and imitates "so she can act like a human," to comedic effect. He could have had an intellectual interest that would resonate with hers. And so forth. Reasons for them to like each other beyond *bump* "Oh...hello attractive person!"

More time could also have allowed another intriguing possibility: Twilight is starting to like Flash (Ah-aaaaah!). But she knows that in a very short time she's going to be going back through a portal to another world. Would it be fair to him for her to say 'Yes' to him asking her to the dance, let a relationship start to blossom, then *poof*, she's gone forever? She could have had at least a minute to pace back and forth worrying about it, building the problem up in her adorkable way, and maybe even a scene where she tries to explain to him that she won't be staying, without sounding like a moonbat, and perhaps failing hilariously. Missed. Opportunities.

In Flash's defense, he does get in one funny line that made me laugh. Which is saying something, because he has about three lines in the whole movie. smile.png

The Howling Plot-Hole:

Sunset's Evil Plan of Evilness is to take her "teenage army" of zombified high school students back through the portal and invade Equestria. Really, Sunset? And you think you're Celestia's true bright-spark student? Zombified teenagers...vs. an army of armored Royal Guard ponies, four Alicorn princesses, Shining Armor, and, oh...The God of Chaos? The "OMG, if this villain isn't stopped, they'll invade our world!" plot line is only scary if the invading force is a genuine threat, and won't get bronto-stomped as soon as the defenders notice its presence. I'm looking at you, Tron: Legacy.

All in all, it's a likeable little movie, but it could have been brilliant.

Edited by InvisiblePinkUnicorn
  • Brohoof 3

Walked into the movie (okay, YouTube video) with an open mind.  I was willing to love it or hate it depending on what I saw.

In the end, it was meh.  Very meh.  Glad I didn't pay for it, but will watch it when it comes to the Hub so my ratings will count.

The one thought I had at the end was that they accomplished so very little considering how much time they had.

Pearls of Wisdom - Great men don't believe in luck.  They believe in Cause and Effect.

• Brohoof 1

My lazy levels combined with me being tired right now, combined with me not really typically being the critical type is preventing me from doing a flat out review on this, so I'll just briefly say some things.

I was kinda worried EQG was gonna suck, I was staying somewhat neutral to slightly optimistic, but I felt kinda worried when I first hit play, however... I actually found that i was pleasantly surprised. It was like watching an MLP episode I find, it wasn't something to blow me away for the century, but it was a well made MLP episode type of quality I find, and I liked that.

I also enjoyed watching twilight adjust to the world, and the humor that came along with it, along with coming back to Equestria for a little bit.

I also must say that as much as I said I didn't like the art style, it actually kinda grew on me a bit in the movie. Dunno what it was but it did. I don't prefer it over adorable ponies, but it was much better then I anticipated.

The animations we're pretty solid, I found some of the clapping and hand type stuff sorta awkward looking at times, but eh its not a huge deal.

Now for Flash sentry, I didn't find him terribly memorable, he was just kinda there and did make for some cute reactions outta Twilight, but him as a character he wasn't anything memorable out of the movie really. If anything happens that he shows again we need more development for him.

Sunset was decent, I found her to be decent as far as a Villain goes, she had a motive for everything which is good and should happen in a movie, and we also got a glimpse into her backstory for a little. Nothing super deep, but its there. Also on a side note I think her color scheme as a pony looks awesome, but maybe its just me. Only thing I found to dislike about her directly and wasn't just kinda neutral on was her breakdown reformation, I really don't feel it fit her terribly well, I mean we don't know alot about her past, and she does have her motives i'm sure, but it just felt a good bit rushed in a movie like this. She just kinda broke down about it without explaining well enough to me atleast why she was, she just had this really sudden change of heart. It was sorta like "Keep Calm and Flutter on" except I found that one to be rational, this one was a bit hard for me to rationalize. But eh it wasn't a big deal, didn't ruin the movie for me.

So yeah. I guess thats it(Well so much for being lazy and not writing a big wall of text of a review...). Overall it was a good movie I think, actually made me excited for S4, because the writers restored my faith which was a bit lost for a little while again. 

I do think that even if not everyone loved it, or even thought it was good, that it was still an overreaction to this whole thing with what happened, and in the end I don't believe hasbro's continuing anything off this(Or much if any) so in the end there wasn't much reason to worry anyways.

But anyways, I'm happy the movie turned out better then I expected, and I'm actually almost more happy that it turned out well enough that there wasn't any fighting breaking out here, because I really hate to see people fight here(Or really in general, yes I know I'm a hypocrit, I know i fight to.) so that part was actually one of my favorite parts of this whole thing.

I hope S4 surpasses this, and heck let it surpass all of S1-2 and 3! I'm ready for it I think... Well except I don't believe its coming till later Summer to fall or something.  But still..

Bah I'm rambling, to wrap things up I was pleasantly surprised. It was much better then I anticipated(Maybe it was due to low expectations, idk :P.) so yeah. I'm happy, was certainly worth my watching time.

On the negatives: Not a fan of the Twi-Flash thing. Idk why. Just dosent seem to fit. Also, not to be that guy, but the whole ending just seemed a bit too cliche to me. The bad guy gets what they wanted, and becomes corrupted, yet more powerful. Nearly destroys main protagonist, but by some miracle, they survive. Then they have some kind of counter set up to destroy said villain quite easily. I feel its been done many times before. Not only that, but I feel the background characters showed too little emotion to everything that happened at the end. "Out wall destroyed by a demon? Some of our peers turned into weird pony-hybrids? No big deal. HOLY GOD ALMIGHTY A TALKING DOG!" All in a world that previously didn't have magic.

On the good: Till then, the movie was wayyyyyy better then I imagined. It held my attention quite well, and was pretty funny at times. good voice acting, animation, and such. The whole Twilight learning how to be a human thing was hilarious. Overall, even though my list of complaints was longer, I really enjoyed it.

• Brohoof 1

I saw it online although I plan on bringing my kids once it's in a theater near me.

My review. Honestly I thought it was really a great movie, but I would agree that in many ways it was not much more than a long episode. That's OK, but in essence they took the plot from the pilot and added a few flourishes. The end result was really good!

The thing that struck me the most is that the flying scene from Twilight's Hot Minute was from the movie and not season 4! Still I loved how Twilight was shown accepting her new role and embracing it.

(edited)

I enjoyed Equestria Girls very much.

I went into the theater with low expectations because of all the negativity towards it. It actually turned out in my opinion to be a pretty good movie. The songs were actually all good especially the "Helping Twilight Win The Crown" song. I liked how they put in the time to put in most of the characters from the show in the movie somewhere in the movie. (Even Derpy!) The ending was a bit cheesy for me but that's pretty much the only problem I had with this movie.

Probably give it an 8/10 and if you ever get a chance to see it then go see it because it's worth the time

Did you guys see the dancing Derpy in the credits! So awesome!

Edited by Super Derpy

(edited)

I watched it with no preconcieved notion on how it was gonna be and i must say i enjoyed it, got a lot of laughs out of it and caught stuff only brony's would catch(scootaloo dancing anyone and taking off vinal scratch's glasses) and of course with the style of redemption and now i give it the song that should have been in the credits if it wasn't targeted at little girls

Edited by DaReaper

I have a question.  How was Sunset Shimmer planning on smashing that portal with the sledgehammer?  Wouldn't the sledgehammer just go right through?  I know it was a bluff but still.

I have a question.  How was Sunset Shimmer planning on smashing that portal with the sledgehammer?  Wouldn't the sledgehammer just go right through?  I know it was a bluff but still.

O.O your right all of twilights book smarts should have caught that and tackled her back through, wow how did i miss that one

Just finished watching the movie, and guess what? I liked it!

I remember back when I first heard a rumor that there was going to be a new show called Equestria Girls, I thought the worst. Later, when I realized it was just going to be a movie, I was relieved. I didn't really know what to expect, and I found I didn't care much about it anyway. I kept my expectations neutral.

Then I saw the first trailer. I began to feel a little excitement for the movie. I learned that it was basically the same cast from the show, and my expectations rose. After the second trailer I was legitimately stoked to see this thing.

I wasn't disappointed. I love the human character designs, the S1Ep1 references, the music (despite low-quality youtube video), and the interactions between the characters.

My only real problem is Pinkie Pie. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but the way she somehow knew exactly what Twilight was is... disturbing. Or something. Seriously... how did she know? I feel like the writers could have thought of a better way to convince the Teen 5 that Twilight was a Pony Princess. And then her knowing everything about human Flash... >_>

I think I'm a fan of FlashLight, by the way. :3

Only the middle area was a portal. She could have smashed the frame.

(edited)

I'm not going to fanboy over this movie but this movie was pretty darn good for a hour long feature presentation. The animation on the human ponies weren't as bad as everyone made it out to be and it felt natural to the eye as it would in the show.

Everyone did stay in-character (well at least the human ponies did) It just sucked that the pony mane 6 didn't get much action. I kind of hated they used the whole "could disrupt the balance of both worlds" plot device to keep Twilight separated. If the task was really dangerous than Twilight would've needed all the help she could get. As for Spike being a dog, I'm really okay with him being a canine. He was still very helpful to Twilight and he was pretty good for some comedy. The best part of the movie was Twilight adjusting to the human world after that was over with the best part of the movie was over with.

Music wise, I think the movie was pretty mediocre. Most of it seemed very stereotypical except the background music and the intro. The only memorable music for me was the "Help Twilight Get The Crown" which I think was the best song of the movie. It was very catchy and energetic.

The high school setting and the romance was all well done actually. They really bored little to none of the aspect of the movie and the plot was more focused on more than anything. I'm not too keen on Flashlight shipping though (Sorry guys) I'm not fond of Twilight getting a crush on Flash Sentry even though he seems to be a decent male character. 

Sunset Shimmer was a stereotypical villain with a stereotypical mindset though I got to hand it to Snips and Snails....they were a bit too diabolical to be their pony counterparts. Only thing about Sunset Shimmer was her little redemption. I like how fast Twilight was to "forgive" her. She just freaking shot a lazer beam at you to properly kill you and 2 minutes later it's forgotten and forgiven. Anyway I think she should have been forcefully brought back into Equestria or something for punishment. Then again it is a kids movie so I guess they couldn't do that.

Overall this was a decent movie. If you aren't a brony or a little girl though chances are you're not going to like this movie. The fan-service was impeccable and I really enjoyed watching it on YouTube.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Well it was good but I didn't find it amazing, some of the people were out of character and by that I mean Snips and Snails, they were really mean in this movie. Yeah, they weren't the nicest ponies but they were never flat out mean before. I think they ran the joke of Twilight tiring to get used to the human items into the ground, I did find it funny though.

Sunset's big plan was doomed from the start I'm sorry even if she turned all of the teens into demons she still had 3 alicorns, the royal guard from both the Crystal Empire and Carerlot, Discord, and even if she got past that I don't think that a certain changeling army would like the idea of her taking over Equestria. I did enjoy her character even if she was just another teenage jerk.

Okay let's be honest about Flash, he was obviously added in after the fact by Hasbro. That's why he wasn't in the movie very much and most of the scene was mostly

"Hi Twilight"

*Twilight Blush* She says something and then he should have said

"Well I have nothing to add to the scene so bye." 

Watching him a Twilight interact was really awkward. Also Twilight is sick she wasn't human for very long and she's finding this human attractive Twilight you're a pony!

My last gripe is the animation, I know that the animators are more accustomed to 4 legged animals but what about the mothers, the young kids, and the critics watching the movie? I doubt that they know that. It wasn't that amazing well let me rephrase that the human world animation wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The pony world animation was still great just like always. However, Luna and Celestia's human designs looked really bad. One think that confuses me so being a princess that rules over all of Equestria all that means id that in the human world is that you're a High School principal.

Other than that it was good, the mane 6 (other then Twilight at times) were in character, the humor was good, Spike didn't annoy me very much, and the fandom shotouts were great to see.

In the end 2 out of 5 it was good but you have to pretty be deep in the fandom to fulling enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1