Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls

iLegovideo

Equestria Girls  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the film

• Flash Sentry steals your waifu - Hated it!
    • "... needs some peanut butter crackers." - Disliked it
    • "What are hands?" - Meh it was okay.
    • "Those are my girls! Woo-hoo!" - Liked it
    • "We helped Twilight win the crown!" - Loved it!

This... movie... was... uuuugh.

Im sorry for everyone who actually liked this thing, but i have to be honest: this thing was disappointing.

Its just so filled with high school clichè and the callbacks to the original show are just painful to me, cause it makes me want to watch the series rather than this.

The villain is wasted, the story is predictable, the romantic sub-plot is annoyng, forced and useless, and don't get me start on the climax, and is full of plot-holes that leave to the people to find a reason for all the how and why.

Ask yourself this simple question: Did you really liked the movie for the stories or just for the callbacks?

And ask your self also this: is really this what you wanted to see in a movie of MLP FIM? Clichèd high school stuff? From character that have showed to be much more adult than how they where in the human world?

I don't think so. You're are much better than this.

• Brohoof 3

I think this movie was just.. over-the-top amazing. It was a lot better than I expected it to be, and I LOVED it. If only there was a way for a sequel.

It was better than i expected, the only thing i didn't really like was how out there the ending was, it was a total wtf moment. Other than that the movies was absolutely bosstastic.

I love this movie. I've seen it probably 5 times already and can almost repeat every word. It had so many nice things in it such as all the good ponies, great animation, and a tiny little glimpse of our pony, Derpy Hooves. The songs are still extra catchy, they act like themselves. There's also some lines from Big Mac. I made a video on YouTube with one of the songs. If you want to check it out, go on YouTube and search for my channel, Bronie Hooves. Give my videos some views. I recommend Equestria Girls to anypony.

(edited)

Hi guys, I haven't been on the forum for at least 3 months, :( , sorry.

But this is my first topic, I really just wanted to get this out there.

For the record, EG, was disappointing to me when I watched it. I know a lot of people are saying it was really better than I though, it wasn't so bad, ect, ect. I just thought it was really unnecessary, because it basically just teaches us the same lesson. And the whole time it was going, bronies! Look - Rainbow Dash does the "so cool face :wub: ! OOoh- The Great and Powerful Trixie wants food!! Does that make up for this pointless movie?

Anyways, that's not why I'm writing this. I'm writing this because something really, really annoyed me during the "We're all the same" song. Very quickly, Applejack rips off Vinyl's glasses. Then they move on immediately.

Just for the record, when Vinyl's glasses came off at the royal wedding, I didn't care at all. It didn't matter to me. Unsubstantial. But, broines were in a rage. Hasbro knew it. 

SO WHY DID THEY DIRECTLY SHOVE IT IN OUR FACES DURING WHAT WAS THOUGHT TO BE A TERRIBLE MOVIE?

Everyone has their own ideas, I don't want to offend anyone, but I wanted to get this out there.

I believe this is Hasbro's or the creator's way of bitch slapping us.

Edited by Chigens and Kay
Edited title.

(edited)

The movie in my opinion wasn't pointless at all.
Twilight learned to adjust to herself being a princess, and on the bright side we meet new characters. 
I loved the animation, the plot, the everything really! We got to see their human selves, we met a new foe....I just don't see what could possibly be wrong with the movie. It was supposed to aim for younger audiences, but it also tipped a hat to the bronies/pegasisters who love MLP FiM. Therefore, repetition is legal in this case.
But, I mean, it's whatever you think...that was just my insight of it. 
I really wouldn't call it a slap to the face. I would say it was too soon considering some bronies were ragging about how Twilight is a princess and all, but alot of bronies took a liking to it.
Not like it had an effect on the show :P

Edited by Kyouko-Chan

I think that what has made this show so great is the fact that it has grown on its own with the freedom to be what it is, and not be tied to a single demographic. So while I do enjoy the fandom nods and slight acknowledgements, they haven't changed the show one bit for our sake other than that. Looking at it in terms of the fandom nods just devalues the product as a whole. I liked the movie because it had an interesting plot, a good moral (and the best lessons often need to be taught over and over again), and because the characters were interesting and engaging. Looking at it for any other reason is just a waste.

I think to an exatent its aimed at a complete different demographic, most likely one that hasnt seen lots of FIM so they have to go and gie a bit of a recap :).

While its true there where lots of references, I didnt really felt like they got in the way ans thw hlasses bit fitted nicely into the song :)

At times it was cheesy, like when going over each element, but over all it was alot better then though, mainly because i think exstectations where at rock bottom low!

(edited)

Hi there @@Starlight Song. Since we have a pinned thread for the purposes of discussing our reactions to and reviews of EQG, and your thread seemed to be discussing the same, they have been merged. Enjoy the discussion!

Edited by Full Spectrum

Meh, it was okay. Not something I'm overly interested in or would watch again.
I watched it after it was leaked on YouTube because it wasn't playing in any cinemas near me. Even if it was, no way in hell I would pay to watch that.

It was better than I expected, but it's not the best thing ever. For what it was I really liked it, but I do have some complaints. For one, Snips and Snails just annoyed the crap out of me, which they usually don't. Also, i didn't care for Sunset Shimmer at all. She felt like a one-note character to me. She had no motivation, not very much character development, and she was just as bland as a plate of tofu!

Seriously though, they need to make an actual MLP movie when the series ends, and this time, do it RIGHT.

My opinion- I actully quite liked it Loved the songs :wub: "Helping Twilight win the crown" :yay: yay epicness, liked there human designs for the most part the storie was pretty good or though the ending seemed a bit rushed -_- though the movie defiantly exceeded my expectations I enjoyed every minute of it the funny cameo's to the mane six being awesome as usall.

Now what I didn't like so much though this is just my personal nit picks so you guys might not care so much 1 Barely none if any apreences were made by spitfire :( me being a Spitfire fan this made me quite sad I don't even think the wonderbolts (colts in this case) made any appreciates >_> 

2 lack of apprentice made by the CMC I know the movie isn't about them but I don't think Applebloom even communicated once with Applejack, sorry I like the CMC so I kinda wished the spoke more, 3 Cheeriley what was up with her in this movie she seemed so different pony vill cheeriliy :) equestia girls cheerlily >_> , she seemed so angry in Equestria girls shes quite happy usally in my little pony usally. well i have to say these we like my only nit picks just the fact that some characters weren't in the back ground or didn't even apper which isn't like it takes away from the storie or anything though another thing what annoyed me well this is more Hasbro not Equestria Girls to be fair the fact that in wasn't on the cinema in the UK and won't even get a UK DVD relese What  :( or even relesed any were else other than amarica  , over all the movie was really good if you haven't seen it cheak it out :lol:

(edited)

Finally watched it this evening. My expectations were not extremely high, and well, the movie lived up to them at least.

My biggest gripe has always been the human character designs, which I still don't think look all that good. They sometimes have that "dead eye"-look that a lot of modern cartoons have. This is especially annoying since the character design for the ponies are (as we all know) super-amazing and one of the main things that make FiM appealing (especially at first sight).

That being said, the actual animation is of course as good as it is in the show and saves the sub-par designs by making them move and act and express themselves in funny and dynamic ways. (emotionally, I felt a bit detached from the characters though)

The story is predictable, but could have been more interesting with a longer running time. A lot of scenes felt rushed.

THAT being said, the writing is sometimes very funny. Within one minute of the movie opening, I was laughing. (at that transformers thing) The constant references to side/background characters from the show were of course amusing, and watching Twilight trying to adapt to human life was really funny.

The "epic fight" scene at the end was also done pretty well.

However, a lot of stuff does not really go anywhere (because of lack of time) and the Flash Sentry crush is annoying when you worry if and how it would affect the series.

The music is good as always, a bit more "dance pop"-ish than the show though. The most enjoyable part is the remixed intro.

Also, it was awesome seeing Derpy, obviously.  :muffins: 

All in all, average. Not something I would watch soon again, at least not in its entirety.

Edited by housedoc
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I finally got the chance to watch it today, and I was simply overjoyed. It was beyond my expectations, I really need to stop doubting these guys it was beautiful. I wish I had not waited as long as I did to see it.

It was so much fun to watch Twilight and Spike try and figure out the humanoid world, seeing the familiar characters as if they had never existed be brought back to life. The introduction of Fluttershy was essentially an exact replica, and it was awesome! Seeing Rainbow Dash scoop up Scootaloo and fly her around at the end was absolutely adorable, watching Pinkie Pie be herself was awesome as always. I mean it was really just so odd and amazing I don't even know. The humanoid aspect still isn't something I enjoy, but what I watched was acceptable.

Interestingly, I had thought that it might be chock full of fandom tidbits but it was surprisingly bare besides Derpy. I actually kind of liked that.

There is probably so many holes in the plot that I didn't notice that probably render the story absolutely confusing but I don't care, watching Twilight become friends with the five all over again was well worth the hour-long episode.

I give it a completely unexpected 4/5, I'd definitely rewatch it if the future. I actually loved it.

Edited by Blastdown
  • Brohoof 1

I must say I did not expect much from this movie, I thought it would not be that well made and just for the sake of merchandise.

Oh how glad I am that I was wrong!

I completely LOVED the movie, it was just so AWESOOOOOOOOOOME!!! I have far since realised that movies are simply for entertainment and therefore am not concerned with any issues pertaining to reality, plot, etc. that are the usual cause of bickering amongst humans. I simply watched it and loved it for what it is, not what it could be. The animation was great, I loved how all the characters looked so cute and adorable, the songs were... "fantastic" would be too mundane a word to describe them, while they might not be quite "catchy", as some critics claim, they are absolutely wonderful, beautiful and make you feel all "warm and fuzzy inside" :wub: . It will be days before I get tired of listening to them without end. :)

[ I even listened to the one, where they all help each-other fix the room, while assembling some furniture -> both inspiring and invigorating :P ]

I can not say anything but praise for this movie.

I must say I was expecting many frequenters of this forum would not like it, and I am very glad I was wrong.  :)

This... movie... was... uuuugh.

Im sorry for everyone who actually liked this thing, but i have to be honest: this thing was disappointing.

Its just so filled with high school clichè and the callbacks to the original show are just painful to me, cause it makes me want to watch the series rather than this.

The villain is wasted, the story is predictable, the romantic sub-plot is annoyng, forced and useless, and don't get me start on the climax, and is full of plot-holes that leave to the people to find a reason for all the how and why.

Ask yourself this simple question: Did you really liked the movie for the stories or just for the callbacks?

And ask your self also this: is really this what you wanted to see in a movie of MLP FIM? Clichèd high school stuff? From character that have showed to be much more adult than how they where in the human world?

I don't think so. You're are much better than this.

Really you pretty much summed up the entirety of my thoughts on the entire movie. After hearing about how good it was from all the shows fans, it just left me with a bitter taste of disapproval in my mouth. Granted, what mainly bothered me was the amount teenage angst, the plot-holes, the numerous cliché, and the underdevelopment of two supposedly key characters, Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry. I realise it is a rather short movie, but I guess I expected way too much out of the movie. Overall, I was really disappointed, but it wasn't bad. If I had to rate it would be in the 5.5 to 6/10 range.

• Brohoof 2

I watched it on a long car journey, and immediately after wrote this review:

Equestria Girls is a brilliant, if unorthodox, silver screen adaptation of the My Little Pony cartoon. As the movie retells the story of the Elements of Harmony from the TV series, the movie reflects the series also reflects the show in another way: It's a perfect example of the elements of a good cartoon. It's funny, it has its dramatic moments, it's entertaining and above all it appeals to all ages, which is a thing the show did without really trying. Perhaps the same could be said of the movie. 

Some of the plot points are a little predictable, but aside from that there isn't really anything bad about this movie. Some plot elements mmay seem a little dark for a child audience, however this isn't really a big deal as the movie seems to be aimed at slightly older girls, dealing with typical high-school problems, which also makes it an excellent movie for children who still watch the show, but are just leaving its target demographic. As for the music,  I regularly found myself tapping my foot or bobbing my head, it's really catchy! And it's a brilliant soundtrack to boot!

In short, if you're looking for a great movie that the while family will enjoy, Equestria Girls hits the mark perfectly. It's nicely glazed with the girly elements that will appeal to the original target audience of younger girls, but also contains generous helping of drama and plot (no pun intended) to make it an enjoyable experience for the whole family.

I found the movie to be very good. I watched this as the first My Little Pony related thing I have watched. It had good acting, writing, plot, and above all meaning if you ask me. The fact that another world is parallel to Equestria, with the exception of the "kingdom" being a High School, is very interesting. Shortly after finishing the movie, I saw both episodes one and two of the first season, and saw how much this movie matched those. Instead of Nightmare Moon being the main antagonist, it was Sunset Shimmer.

Man, it was pretty good. I wasn't expecting much at all. I actually thought the idea was painful at first. I really thought it was great how many tongue in cheek references there were to MLP FIM. Anyone else go into the movie thinking "Oh boy this is going to be a trainwreck..." but when it was over, you were pleasantly surprised?

i had this too. eventough when i finally got to watch it i heared a lot of positive reactions allready, but still.

the only thing i disliked in the entire film was the transformation of sunset shimmer near the end. but that's it.