Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls

iLegovideo

Equestria Girls  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the film

• Flash Sentry steals your waifu - Hated it!
    • "... needs some peanut butter crackers." - Disliked it
    • "What are hands?" - Meh it was okay.
    • "Those are my girls! Woo-hoo!" - Liked it
    • "We helped Twilight win the crown!" - Loved it!

@@Azrael the alicorn,

I've merged your thread with a pinned one for sharing how we feel about the EQG movie, as that was what you were asking members to share in yours. While you were asking specifically for members who didn't like it to speak up, it is extremely likely that others would have stepped in and offered their own, less negative opinions. Ultimately, it's more efficient to just have one thread for giving reactions to the movie, and I'm sure you can find plenty of people who didn't like it in here.

@@Azrael the alicorn,

I've merged your thread with a pinned one for sharing how we feel about the EQG movie, as that was what you were asking members to share in yours. While you were asking specifically for members who didn't like it to speak up, it is extremely likely that others would have stepped in and offered their own, less negative opinions. Ultimately, it's more efficient to just have one thread for giving reactions to the movie, and I'm sure you can find plenty of people who didn't like it in here.

Im sure that there is people who didn't like it, but here in the topic of reaction is more about mixed reviews about it, in my topic was more focused about negative reviews.

DashForever: this is why i wanted it's own topic.

I love the movie!! It's super tacular!! Hmm... Equestria Girls 2? I really hope they do have it...Maybe the Equestria Girls come to Ponyville...I wonder what I would look like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11bmvEUA5o .

SRSLY, just no. What was it of so super tacular? Why is so much loved? It is because is something with MLP attached on? I'ts just because of all those references? JUST WHY!?

I mean, the show itself has episodes who are hated for much lesser problems, and this is so awesome?

• Brohoof 1

Much to my surprise, it was better than I thought it would be and unlike some (or perhaps most) many I actually thought Flash Sentinel/Twilight Sparkle and the relationship that was beginning to develop between them would have been a good thing... yeah it seems not going to do anything with it and he's not going to be in season 4 so fanfiction I guess.

I admit my expectations for this movie were actually very low so when I saw that it was better than expected I was pleased. Now does that mean it was a great movie? No, far from it, it could have been a lot better. They could have done a number of things differently but it was still a good movie in my opinion.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

*raises hand*

But I needed some time to come to my final opinion. I hated it in the beginning, liked it then and now I dislike it in a very shallow way.

All in all it disappointed me because I think it's so mediocre that it's rediculous. And it made me, along with a few other things, start to doubt in McCarthy.

Don't get me wrong, she wrote some of my favorite episodes like "Lesson Zero" and "A Canterlot Wedding", but after that movie, I think I know what kind of writer she is and I don't like what I see because it was the movie's fault to make me see it.

The movie was bad paced and all the shoutouts and references, combined with forced plotlines and plot-devices, are not a sign of quality in my opinion because it's anything but creative. I'm okay with things that were already used in other movies and shows if they are new in a specific show (or movie in this case, no matter if canon or not) and well introduced. But using many ideas that already have been used in the show itself and messing up the "new" things is nothing I can consider as actually good.

Of course, there were a few things I liked, too. The jokes for example. But that's not enough for me to compensate the bad things that I see.

This basically.

After months of people screaming at me to "Give it a chance" even though even the most naive person imaginable could tell that the idea was complete crap, I went in with an open mind, genuinely hoping it would be a good movie. While there are a few things that made me laugh, for a long time, I was ont he fence. One day though, I realized that I despised this movie. I despise the fact that Hasbro actually made a High School AU canon, I despise the fact that there are plot holes left and right, I despise the fact that Flash Sentry was brought in JUST to give Twilight a love interest. No character of his own, he's just there to be 'cool', I despise the fact that Twilight immediately falls for the pony version, which just makes her look like a huge slut. And above all else, I despise the fact that Equestria, a beautiful world of magic and mythology, was dropped in favor of a 'human' world for the MLP movie.

Sunset Shimmer was a godawful villain and the way she was defeated was so stupid and overused. They really couldn't come up with a new way besides the unstoppable Rainbow?

So I did give it a chance. And I am incapable of seeing how anyone on Earth can look at this and call it a good movie. Yeah it's cute, yeah the songs are catchy. but this movie is just bad. And next time someone tells me to stop being a hypocrite by judging a book by it's cover, I will point to this movie. I love FiM, but that does not mean that I should love or even like everything those dirty bastards at Hasbro put out, I did not sign my soul away when I became a brony. I am a person, I am not part of a hivemind, and I refuse to join a "Oh this movie's great guys" bandwagon.

So yeah, nah, didn't like it.

• Brohoof 2

This basically.

After months of people screaming at me to "Give it a chance" even though even the most naive person imaginable could tell that the idea was complete crap, I went in with an open mind, genuinely hoping it would be a good movie. While there are a few things that made me laugh, for a long time, I was ont he fence. One day though, I realized that I despised this movie. I despise the fact that Hasbro actually made a High School AU canon, I despise the fact that there are plot holes left and right, I despise the fact that Flash Sentry was brought in JUST to give Twilight a love interest. No character of his own, he's just there to be 'cool', I despise the fact that Twilight immediately falls for the pony version, which just makes her look like a huge slut. And above all else, I despise the fact that Equestria, a beautiful world of magic and mythology, was dropped in favor of a 'human' world for the MLP movie.

Sunset Shimmer was a godawful villain and the way she was defeated was so stupid and overused. They really couldn't come up with a new way besides the unstoppable Rainbow?

So I did give it a chance. And I am incapable of seeing how anyone on Earth can look at this and call it a good movie. Yeah it's cute, yeah the songs are catchy. but this movie is just bad. And next time someone tells me to stop being a hypocrite by judging a book by it's cover, I will point to this movie. I love FiM, but that does not mean that I should love or even like everything those dirty bastards at Hasbro put out, I did not sign my soul away when I became a brony. I am a person, I am not part of a hivemind, and I refuse to join a "Oh this movie's great guys" bandwagon.

So yeah, nah, didn't like it.

So much truth in this post, i could cry :( !

I agree on every and i mean, EVERY point you stated. I mean, i saw fanmade stuff of only 14 minuts long that were made much more like a movie thant this pile of crap. You would expect that the ones who, you know, WORK on this franchise would try to give something more than a pile of reference made just to brainwash bronies and make a story that push further than a plot-episode of the main series. But no, cause Hasbro only cares for the money, and it cares much more than making a GREAT movie with an original plot. And they know it that the movie was bad, so they make as many references to the main show to distract people. And after all the reviews where i've read about people talking of humanized version of some character. And they knew that it would work cause this fandom has a weakness about this kind of thing. The villain sucks, her plan sucks, the story sucks and is one big plot-holes that the writer didn't even care to try to explain.

Making a highschool movie like about a show that takes place in a magical land is both clichè and easy to work it out. Cause this movie was easy to make, and the way that the problems are solved is also easy.

A failure of a movie, this is what EG is! :angry:

• Brohoof 2

Equestria Girls is apparently selling so well on DVD that Shout Factory is going to start re-publishing older Pony movies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/my-little-pony-shout-hasbro-604350

Quote from the article: "The Bronies are going to be so happy!"

(Nah, not really - Bronies probably won't buy them. It sounds like some of the people with $$ are missing the point. Throw some cash behind a real MLP: FiM movie instead!)

Just because I love this film doesn't mean I can't acknowledge its flaws. The two biggest being:

1) The villain is a one-note stereotype

2) The climax makes little sense. From what I gather, in an alternate world the Element is unstable, and thus went berserk when exposed to Sunset's cruel personality. Moreover, it re-connected with it's true nature when Sunset tried to attack the main six- all that is fine, but it leaves two questions; one, why it didn't connect with Twilight earlier, when it was placed on her head; two, how Sunset could strike at Equestria when the Element being in an alternate world is what allows her to bend it to her will. 

There are also some (nit-picky) contrivances that were used to set up the plot:

1) Why doesn't Sunset merely point out Twilight isn't a student? 

2) Twilight worries about them not believing her if she told them about her otherworldly nature, but doing so might not have been necessary. True they wouldn't believe her if she went up to them and told them "The crown is mine, I want it back"- they'd want a good explanation, which she wouldn't be able to provide. She could, however, return to Equestria and come back with their crown to prove there are two of the things. This would make them much more open to believing her about them being switched without having to tell them she's a pony princess.  

3) If she really wanted to, she could prove she's who she claims. She has a talking dog, and a portal to another world. I presume she didn't take this option for fear of how they would react, a concern she shows later in the film.

Finally, falling in between the two sets of problems described above- not a major issue but still more than a nit-pick- is the issue I took with the film before going into it, which I got used to but never grew to like:

The character designs. Their heads are too big, bodies too small, then add in the pastel skin colors and it all ends up being quite baffling who thought these designs were a good idea. 

Overall, on a ten point scale, I give Equestria Girls a seven. It's not a great film, but I do contend it is good, despite these issues. I enjoy it considerably, and love it for the many things it did right. 

Edited by ByTheTides

I must admit - I despise "humanized" ponies in every way, shape and form, so EG already started off on the wrong foot with me. But, I was willing to give it a shot, and I came to my conclusions of this movie whilst trying to avoid my prejudices. I was truly hoping that despite the way overused setting and plain vanilla premise of this movie, the writing that MLP is renowned for would save the day. However, I believe this to, overall, not be the case.

I must give the writers credit for keeping this train wreck from being a total loss; the movie does have its moments, but ultimately, it falls on its face in a quite less than spectacular manner. The plot is probably the biggest offender here; it offers no depth, no intriguing story, no twists or turns. You could almost describe the whole movie step-by-step by knowing the plot of almost any other children's movie out there. I won't even go into the unreasonable pace or numerous holes in the story, just suffice it to say that if you enjoy a good, thoughtful story - you won't find it here.

Next up are the characters themselves. Again, I must applaud the writers for doing as well as they did with totally new territory; it could have been much worse. But just as is the case with the plot, there are no awards to give out here. Whilst most of the human counterparts to our beloved ponies were in-character, there were some inexplicable spoken lines, actions and decisions made by a few of them that were just too out of place to let slide. Rainbow Dash was the worst offender in my opinion, but Rarity wasn't too far behind in odd moments. For me, though the characters were for the most part, the same personalities I've known and loved, there were enough stumbles and trip-ups that I couldn't really make a true connection to them.

The music was catchy to be certain, but once again, it wasn't up to show-quality levels. Don't even get me started on that cafeteria dance scene. Just ...don't. The cherry on the cake was that absurd, yet unbelievably predictable ending. I just cannot fathom how the writers thought any of it was acceptable considering their usual level of quality.

In the end, I may come to watch Equestria Girls another time or two - to be fair, it isn't a god-awful, wretched film - just one that I feel was never a good idea in the first place, and that the world would be no worse off had it never existed.

• Brohoof 1

I felt the same going in as I came out, really, I felt like it was going to be a great movie, as I didn't judge it like all the other 100,000,000,000 fucks, and it came out as something I really enjoyed, I mean, it had an alright storyline, wasn't the best, but better than most, good characters, and it just worked out well, I can't be bothered writing a lot, really.

So I'll end it here. x3

I'm probably a little late to the party here, but I recently watched Equestria Girls, I wasn't aware that it was available til recently when a friend let me borrow a copy.

I do tend to ramble on so let me break from the usual here and cut to the chase - I rather enjoyed it.
Despite having graduated from both high school and the high school mentalities some years ago, I found myself pulled into this movie quite a bit. I wasn't at all put off by the HS element in there, I attribute this to great storytelling on the part of the studio.

Honestly, it was a lot like a regular episode sans pony for the bulk of it. I also enjoyed how it wasn't set apart from the usual canon, but rather, it was just another one of Twilight's tests, it even continued the next step of her beginnings as a princess.

I think now would be the time to point out that all I'm really doing is going on about how I liked it and nothing more. Honestly, this post doesn't even warrant a reply, heheh. Just thought I'd state my piece. Sometimes its good to just get those thoughts into black and white, right? 

Anyways, I wasn't looking forward to this movie much, and what little I was, was with a great deal of cautious optimism. I was not disappointed, and I have impossibly high standards! XD I guess at the very least, this post could serve to say "hey, if you were putting it off, see it at some point." Its pretty alright. Like a long episode.

Also, we need 1 hour episodes, who's with me?!

post-10552-0-01072700-1376804669_thumb.png

@:WhiteLightning:, I've merged your thread with a pinned one that we have here in the EQG section for sharing what we thought of the movie, since that's what you were doing in yours :). Just so you know. Glad to hear that you liked it. And longer episodes would be pretty great :D

I haven't finished watching the movie, but from what I've watched so far, I think the movie's pretty good! Like most everyone here, it bugs me that all of the Mane6 are wearing skirts, especially Rainbow Dash whilst she's playing soccer, but oh well! I'll finish watching the movie, and try to post my thoughts after doing so.

Pinkie Pie has never been my best pony, but she really worked for me in this film. Andrea Libman was in top form, especially with her delivery of lines such as "but you also want to want to curl up in a teeny tiny ball and hide and the same time" and "I take that back, it's pretty bad." Pinkie's moments where she "hunches" the correct answers were also delightful. 

Edited by ByTheTides

So on August 10th, I finally saw it, but couldn't post my review until now.

THERE ARE NO WORDS.

It as awesome, but there were a few plot holes here and there. Overall it was better than I expected!

My favorite part has to be when Flash Sentry slammed into the door trying to walk Twilight into the dance. My friends and I were all, AWWWW, and suddenly, SMACK! And we all burst out laughing.

Edited by True Rarity

not entirely sure this is relevent, but i dont seem to be able to find a better thread to post this in, and i dont feel like making one just for this one thing: Just saw the hub vote4pony commercial for the 10th time today, but this time they announced the equestria girls tv premiere. it'll be on while i'm in church. why does the universe not want me to see this movie?

I have been super excited for this movie before it came out.  Lots of people said that it would be crap, but I had a feeling I'd like it.  I watched it, and I loved it! I liked that they gave Twilight a love interest.  I hope they continue with that in the new season.  I was laughing at quite a few parts, and the ending at the dance was super sweet.  The only problems I had with it were the plot holes.  I really hated how the entire problem of the story could have been solved at the beginning when she could have just got the crown back and left instead of risking never getting it back.  There were a few other things, but that was the main one that I wanted to pull my hair out over.

Basically my feeling about the film can be summed up in one sentence: it held up better than most will-go-direct-to-DVD-but-make-a-limited-release-pit-stop-in-theaters would.

It wouldn't have happened without the fan phenomenon, and it was done in short order. Pretty good result, all things considered. I think most of the criticism of the film is spot-on, but I'm willing to give the movie MAJOR leeway when it comes to flaws because it's rather remarkable it exists at all, and much of it was obviously a love letter to the fandom.

i really liked the movie. then again i have moments part way through a movie where all sense of logic and plot hole detection become non-existant.

i haven't really been able to convince myself to go in-depth into this movie but from what i experienced of the after effects it's had on me. i liked the songs. i like some of the characters. some of the scenes were pretty funny and Sunset Shimmer is now my favorite pony.

i haven't been really hyped up for this movie when i first saw the trailer. but i did come to this movies defense when i saw the hate it got before it was even in theaters.

but i do have some issues with it too. like how long the movie was and how much like an episode of MLP:FiM it was. which is great but this was a movie. they could have atleast put some more effort into it.

i give it a 7/10.

Edited by TALH-Films

WARNING SPOILERS

Well, I enjoyed the movie. After reading some reviews I was expecting something truly dissapointing, but It wasn't that bad.

The story has lots of stereotypes, but at least they didn't go with the romance as the main plot. I liked the fact that Twilight was focused on her objective.

The characters were fine. I was expecting more from the villain, but the human counterparts of the mane six were great. I really liked them. The only character I felt indiferent was Flash Sentry because he adds very little to the main story.

There were very funny moments like the one with The Great and Powerful Trixie, the Pinkies (always), the dude who said "That dog just talked! woah, weird!" lmao, and more.

But I really liked how the story went full From Dusk Till Dawn at some point. I mean, demons, zombies and pony-humans was too amazing. And I never saw that coming lol  it was great.

Good film. Not the mlp film I would really like to see, but enjoyable anyway.

Just watched the movie again for the second time and the ending appeared a lot more dull and rushed than the first time. Plus sunset shimmer turning into a demon was so unfitting, was weird enough that the mane 6 grew wings and ears.

All and all, great movie, just wish the writers would have been a little more creative towards the ending.

I liked it. A LOT. The songs were fantastic, the plot was kinda ehhhh but everything else was great. I went in with pretty much no expectations to speak of and I had heard of the negatives surrounding the movie but I just discarded those off hand, so overall I was pleased.

I'm not ashamed to say that i sometimes sing "Helping Twilight Win The Crown" in the shower.
So damn catchy.

I did like this movie a lot more than i thought i would.
The songs were decent, there were a few awesome cameos like Trixie and the CMC, and they actually took a few moments to show Twilight struggling to get used to her surroundings and new body, which was a needed touch.

It also softened my opinion on her princesshood, considering all that self reflection she was doing about it.

Flash Sentry was a mixed bag for me. I'll list the positives and negatives.
- Weird name.
- Horribly rushed and under-developed.

- The writers actually made Twilight bump into his pony version when she went home... NOPE.jpg
+ He's a decent guy at least.
+ He saved Twilight from disqualification, adding to the above point.
+ Drives his own car.
+ Plays guitar / is in a band.

So yeah, mr "cool, handsome boyfriend material" fulfilled the coolness part pretty well (and the handsome part, i guess.)
But he suffers MAJORLY in other areas from the TOTAL lack of real development and personality.

Basically, i want to like him. And i do.
But he's just lacking SO much. Makes it very hard.

On the whole i still really liked this movie, but i know that it should have been leagues better than it was.

• Brohoof 1