Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls

iLegovideo

Equestria Girls  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the film

• Flash Sentry steals your waifu - Hated it!
    • "... needs some peanut butter crackers." - Disliked it
    • "What are hands?" - Meh it was okay.
    • "Those are my girls! Woo-hoo!" - Liked it
    • "We helped Twilight win the crown!" - Loved it!

Having not read other people's views, and spoiling the movie at all beforehand, this is me going in completely afresh about what I thought of the movie.

Some first thoughts are that it felt rather flat an amount of the time, and I couldn't help but get that "uncanny valley" feeling throughout. A strange little movie in ways, and feels more like it was made to sell the dolls rather than completely stand alone on its own merits.

Now to some of the qualms I simply have to get off my chest. No doubt others have brought up most, if not all these points before, but again, this is just me going in afresh.

* How could Sunset Shimmer know for sure the crown would work outside Equestria? What if no power carried over at all? Or at the very least, how did she know precisely how to wield the "evil" power at all? Did Celestia teach her such things, did Shimmer read up on material she shouldn't have been, or what? Yes, Shimmer makes a statement to Twilight about the crown having powers in another world, but I still feel this is all glossed over too much.

* So every 30 moons, okay, regardless of how long that is supposed to be exactly in the first place, what if say someone just happened to lean on the statue, completely unawares, when the "portal" was active?

That's right! Humans into Equestrian ponies everywhere! Come on in guys!

Actually, what if one of the accidentals met Lyra and told her of the secret world? Oh how happy she would be...

* Spike a dog? No really, what? It just doesn't seem logical. Surely he should have also simply turned into a human? And furthermore, it's not like he's Twi's pet in the first place, and doesn't even fall into the category of pet animals, such as the likes of Gummi, Winona et al.

It's just such a strange decision. Was it simply so Spike could be the pet dog with Twi's doll in the toy line, or was it mutually agreed this was a good idea to roll with?

Admittedly, the concept of Spike being a dog is amusing, and had some humorous little moments throughout, but it's still not what I would have gone with.

* The "romance" between Twi and Placeholder would actually make me roll my eyes at times. Argh, so clichéd and tired.

Actually, the concept is kind of strange now I think of it. I mean, in particular, Placeholder then knows Twi's a pony at movie's end and yet still... yeah, whatever.

* Twi’s just lucky Celestia didn’t ask her about being a new student. But then, unless of course this parallel world version of Celestia already knew... (Did her pony counterpart come to visit one day perhaps?)

But wait, when Luna was questioning Twi in her office, did she not check for Twi’s behaviour record or anything? Oh fine, let’s just say Twi’s really lucky.

* And back to Placeholder for a moment. So it’s stated he was Shimmer’s ex, a few weeks ago the breakup occurring.

How did they even come together? Surely Placeholder would have known Shimmer’s reputation of being the school so and so?

Either he was giving her a chance (oh how nice), or is just really, really dumb – or dumb enough to give her a chance. img-1912997-1-derpy_emoticon2.png

* The pacing is unbalanced. One example in particular is that Dash doesn’t appear until freaking 37 minutes in! Ultimately, she then doesn’t get to do quite as much as the other girls due this.

* Speaking of Dash, I just didn’t quite dig her big scene. Especially when she gushes, “The Fall Formal Princess should be someone with heart and determination. You proved that you got ‘em both.” *Obligatory hug and cheers all round*

Egad, it’s just too heavy-handed for me to bear!

* The last act felt rushed. I mean, Shimmer had an entire army of teen drones, and never actually set them out to do any bidding. She had plenty of time to do so, whether to begin sending them through the portal, overpower Twi and the others before they were even able to unleash the boom on her, or whatever. And yet it’s like she literally forgot in seconds just what she had at her disposal.

Also, I question Shimmer’s motivation. She says it’s Equestria she wants, and not the little school. Does she not know about the world?

* Oh, and don't think they quite nailed the look of Celestia and Luna. Can't quite put my finger on it, they just look, I don't know, off.

So after all that, I bet you’d think I hated the movie, right? Well actually, no. It’s just unfortunate there were so many things I found wrong with it.

Whether it was major plotholes, contrived circumstances, pacing, odd production choices - looking at the movie as one whole piece, it’s not the prettiest picture, but it does have some good.

There are scenes that are entertaining, little moments of amusement, and seeing everyone in human form I did get a kick out of to a degree (although Granny Smith, the nightmares).

DHX does a wonderful job of animating once again, with fluid, lively and overall excellent character movement, peppered with plenty of nice little touches throughout.

The voice actors all put in stellar performances as they always have, and never once sound unnatural, despite even the most heavy-handed of scenes and lines.

The scoring is topnotch as always and a couple of the songs in particular I can’t deny I found catchy. smile.png 

So while the script and movie overall I would not consider gold, it does still manage to hit some marks and be genuinely entertaining in part, albeit just along what is an inconsistent and rather bumpy road throughout the 73 minutes that are.

To be kind, I’d give a score of 6.5 out of 10.

Edited by PianoOfMuffins

its really surprising to see that everyone was so enthusiastic about the movie AFTER it was out, considering there was quite a large mob that judged the whole thing 'racist (wow, you guys)' and 'it's gonna suck so bad' BEFORE the whole movie. Well, honestly, I think there would be much less fans of Equestria girls if there wasn't that lovely relationship between Flash and Twilight... C:

Overall, it was really nice! :D I half thought Twilight was gonna learn how to walk almost immediately, but all was very adapted to the situation! 

I love the song in the canteen where the girls made a catchy and awesome song to help Twilight win the crown. ;-; its so epic I feel like singing and dancing and flipping my chair over. 

• Brohoof 1

Not as bad as Alicorn Twilight. I did wanted to see a spin-off movie of the MLP cast being humans (of course in an anime-like format but this is close enough). The high school thing turned out better than expected. The biggest downside was that it felt a bit rushed especially the crime/interrogation scene with Sunset Shimmer, Luna, Twilight and Flash Sentry. I felt that part could have had more scenes to it in a CSI detective spoof way or do a courtroom gag. Another rushed part was the final battle between Sunset and the six mane. Felt that could have added more scenes to outline Sunset's cruelty and made her defeat more justifiable.

Edited by ponies4fun

I saw the movie in the first week it came out, and I was really impressed! Even though Spike was a dog (i LOVE CATS) I thought that this movie was very nicely animated. I didn't really like the way Twilight being framed for destroying the gym was over in a matter of minutes. That part was rather fast, and I would have liked it to be more well-planned. 

Derpy was in Equestria Girls! derpy_emoticon1.png

I was already going to see this movie, although I had no idea what was in store for me. I was just hoping that it wouldn't be terrible. But (most of) you all have given me great hope and encouragement. Thank You! I will look forward to seeing this movie.

Edited by Pat.Rio.T.

For me, the movie seemed like a giant fanfic, though it wasn't altogether horrible. There was a little bit of replay value, what with the songs, and Vinyl (Derpy, too), but other than that, the plot was basically like a fanfiction.

Despite saying that, it WAS a rather good movie.

Personally, I think people overreact to this movie. It was a fine movie by all means. Some people just don't tolerate change whatsoever, and personally, I think it was great for Hasbro to experiment in this field. The movie was quite good, the ending went a bit bonkers with everything exploding and teenage zombies and such, but otherwise, the movie was good.

I absolutely loved the movie. I thought it was very creative and i loved seeing how all the differ ponies acted in the real world!

For all the bronies and pegasisters who are spreading hate about, isn't that what MLP: FIM is supposed to teach?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I liked it really.

Don't want to sound like I hated it from the start, I purposely lowered my expectations to hopefully think better of it once I watched it. It was good, mauve by season 3 standards, but definitively not Seasons 1 or 2's.

I really hated that guy who was thrown into the movie, he made no sort of significance through out it, he appeared and left through the scenes, I think that nobody can deny that the whole trashing the prom thing opened up an excuse for him to jump in and save the day. I get what they were trying to do with the character, but it just seemed pretty pointless, anything he could have done, Twilight's friends could have done.

I guess besides him the movie want all that bad, it seemed rushed, but it was watchable, i didn't pay much attention to the songs, i just skipped them.

I give it a 6/10

Don't think I'd watch again though I

Edited by The Pinkazoid

I think it was good, but I really can't help but think this was a scrapped fanfiction idea. I mean being humanized isn't something MLP would normally do so it sounded really odd when I first heard this movie was being made. For some reason they never really say the word human in the movie so we can't really say for certain they are humans anyway. 

It was horrendous! Its among one of the worst movies I've ever seen! Lets see, if her crown got stolen, why didn't she just STEAL it back rather having to win a prom?! This movie is a mindfuck of pointless characters, irrelevant plotlines and over-the-top settings. And what was the point in having a love interest for Twilight in a film for little girls?!

0/10!

If you liked it, thats fine. But to me, it was a load of horseshit and soils the MLP: FiM name

Edited by Master of Antics
  • Brohoof 1

I guess besides him the movie want all that bad, it seemed rushed, but it was watchable, i didn't pay much attention to the songs, i just skipped them.

Then how can you fairly rate the movie? IMO the songs were one of the main saving graces, and choreographed pretty decently.

Then how can you fairly rate the movie? IMO the songs were one of the main saving graces, and choreographed pretty decently.

I tried to listen to parts of the songs, they didn't really get my attention, they seemed to cheesy to me, there's something about dancing and singing teens I just can't stand, sure its cute when they're ponies, but it was just odd as teenagers :v

I thought this movie was amazing :3 I think Hasbro did a nice job in converting everything from the pony world to the human one, They changed every detail carefully. I loved the story line

One thing I would change is make it a bit longer to add some more of the story. I feel like there wasn't enough story

I actually rather enjoyed it.  Sure I had some initial trepidation at first, but I think it was those trailers that warmed me to the idea.  And I'm glad I took the dive.  Was it perfect?  No.  Was it great?  no.  But was it pretty entertaining?  Sure it was.  And that's all I really ask for in my movies.

• Brohoof 1

It was pretty damn awesome, if I say so myself. I watched it and heard a lot of negative responses, but oh well. Sure, the story wasn't the best or the most original, but it definitely was extremely entertaining. Particularly Twilight's reactions to being a human. I absolutely loved those. They kept them pretty realistic. I adored how she kept trying to grab things with her mouth, attempted to type on a computer with her hands balled up into fists, and tried to buck a vending machine. It's just as an animal would do if it were transformed into a different form.

Also, for MLP, the pacing was pretty good. It was still a bit shaky, but for the most part, I actually felt satisfied by the resolution. It didn't feel as anti-climatic as usual.

There were parts that were kinda cheesy and cringeworthy, but there's a bit of that in MLP as well, so it didn't bother me. Even though the human designs... weren't optimal, I felt they were almost the best they could've done for the ponies. (Except the excessive skinniness. If they had removed that, I would've been fine.) Also, the transformation sequence at the end looked very Magical Girl Anime. Quite awesome. I liked them with ears, long hair, and sometimes wings. 

Overall, it was good. Not a theatrical masterpiece, not groundbreaking, but neither is MLP for the most part itself anyway. I found it better than many of the show's actual episodes, due to it actually having enough time to tell the story it wants to tell. It made me laugh and smile, and it gave me interesting ideas for creative endeavors and stories. It has a lot of potential, and I hope they follow up more on all the many stories that could be told with this mirror portal.

• Brohoof 2

I don't have much to comment other than I do like EG and it's what pushed me into finalizing my entry into the herd so I guess I'm a bit biased (but hey, who isn't, amirite?). It uses a lot of high school cliches but I don't think that made it bad; tropes are just tools, neither good nor evil at their core.

I did cringe at some of the cheesier bits and the, uh, "Photoshopping" I guess you could call it, though. But that didn't ruin the movie at all for me.

I loved the songs, especially the one in the cafeteria (don't remember the title). And the remix at the start was gah, just wonderful to mine ears.

And I liked Flash Sentry. I hope he appears in Season 4 (and I know he most likely won't but still!) and gets more development; he was likeable, but still felt a bit too flat. Flashlight shipping, ho! (Well, between his Equestrian counterpart and Twilight, mostly, but I don't mind the other possibilities too much...)

I do wish they'd used more... well, human skintones, but overall I found I didn't mind the technicolor population as much as I expected. Especially once I saw Fluttershy; at that moment, all was forgiven.

Not the best movie ever, but still one I will definitely watch again sometime. And listen to the songs over and over and over...

Wait, didn't I say I didn't have much to say? I guess I had more to say than I though... sorry...

Im glad to see that the community really likes the movie. Well at least, here. Some bronies had more negative feelings toward the movie. If you go Youtube and Type in Bronies React to Equestria Girls, you'll see differnt reaction, not all negative. It was hilarious and I highly suggest you watch it. Its the first  one on the search.