Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls

iLegovideo

Equestria Girls  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the film

• Flash Sentry steals your waifu - Hated it!
    • "... needs some peanut butter crackers." - Disliked it
    • "What are hands?" - Meh it was okay.
    • "Those are my girls! Woo-hoo!" - Liked it
    • "We helped Twilight win the crown!" - Loved it!

I really enjoyed the film with the character designs and the new characters such as sunset shimmer and flash sentry but thought the plot was bad full of holes.

Saying that i would love to see a story set in the human world or flash sentry turning up in a story as a background pony.

Equestria Girls. This is a difficult question. Did you like Equestria girls?

Most Bronies/Pegasisters will tell you how much they despised the movie, and others will melt when you talk about it. Equestria Girls for me felt like it was a rush job. The story development could've been pulled out and played with a little more. Character design was spot-on, I think. Applejack seemed to be the best out of the main cast. But the movie is filled with background pony cameos and Ponyville items which was nice to see. I felt the ending was bad. Usually in life today, people like Sunset Shimmer will deny when they are defeated, not ultimately give up. They will take few months to recover. Let's take Christmas Carol for example. At the end, Scrooge is the good guy, donates money, shares, and overall gives his riches to everyone. People can't ultimately change like, that they need time, problems like that don't take overnight or in EQG about a day or two.   

Equestria Girls. This is a difficult question. Did you like Equestria girls?

Most Bronies/Pegasisters will tell you how much they despised the movie, and others will melt when you talk about it. Equestria Girls for me felt like it was a rush job. The story development could've been pulled out and played with a little more. Character design was spot-on, I think. Applejack seemed to be the best out of the main cast. But the movie is filled with background pony cameos and Ponyville items which was nice to see. I felt the ending was bad. Usually in life today, people like Sunset Shimmer will deny when they are defeated, not ultimately give up. They will take few months to recover. Let's take Christmas Carol for example. At the end, Scrooge is the good guy, donates money, shares, and overall gives his riches to everyone. People can't ultimately change like, that they need time, problems like that don't take overnight or in EQG about a day or two.   

I agree with you on several points: 1) There could have been more in-depth on the story itself 2) Sunset Shimmer isn't going to change... especially with that little evil taste of power now. I would have been nice if the movie story wasn't as rushed as it is, and maybe have two parts to this movie. It would have been nice to see how things could have progressed/degraded with Sunset's power trip and those.. zombie students (for sure that was something to be messed with). However, the ending... left more to be desired for sure.

I still wanted to see those zombie students do something and a little more resistance from Sunset grrrrr... oh well.

Lionchild

I personally can't like this movie. Honestly, the story was bland, Sunset Shimmer was totally one-dimensional, the ex-boyfriend subplot was unnecessary and cliché, and Flash Sentry has as much depth as a cardboard cutout of himself. Also, while Equestria Girls (as in the song, or "Helping Twilight Win the Crown", whatevs) was a pretty well done song, catchy and all, i feel I can enjoy it better if I don't look at the animation. Maybe DHX just isn't used to animate humans, because the whole scene is very awkward. The human body type is poor, also. But this is all my opinion.

There were several factors that make it better. But I honestly think it could have gone much, much better, and I know Meghan, Jayson and the rest of the team are capable of that. Maybe one day they'll decide to try again.

Watched this one like 3 times, what a great movie it is...

My fav part is when they sing in the Cafeteria ;) (the soundtrack was overall great)

The ending with the demon sunset shimmer was strange tho. 

i give it 8/10!

Edited by Karba
  • Brohoof 1

Hi i am a brony on xbox gammer tag is FPS fluttershy i actually like the whole movie my favorite part is when they are in the cafiteria and are singing and dancing keep in mind that i have more friends on xbox and we have a clan all together

I loved the movie in everyway even with its flaws but my problem is that it was the first movie, in my opinion the first movie should have stayed in Ponyverse instead of making offshoot universe with humans, and human version of characters from the ponyverse that should have been saved for a second movie not the first. 

I wasn't too sure what to expect. I got made fun of during movies where trailers of it played in front of other movies by "friends" so, because of this, I was a little bitter and didn't see it until it was finally added to the Netflix family recently.

I actually kinda liked it. I liked the comic as well, which I ended up purchasing after I had watched the movie. I think it's interesting that they decided to do parallels instead of having the other ponies follow her into the new realm. It made it a little less predictable of a film.

Overall, I'd say 7/10. Not fantastic, but still enjoyed it. The music is constantly stuck in my head.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh, this movie. It turns MLP into Sonic The Hedgehog! I already hated the idea of "inhuman beings go to a human school" plot, which is why I burned a school replica every time I saw something like Ever After High or Maximum Ride. I say,

"BRING BACK THE NET!"

Well, I am a bit late but I want to say what I thought about it. I watched it last night when I couldn't sleep.

I felt very unsure about this movie but I wasn't really a fan of the show yet when the movie came out.

I didn't see it when it first came out for obvious reasons. My sister hated it a lot. Now that I watched it myself, I don't get why.

I understood the uneasiness of them being human but It isn't worthy of any death threats. In fact, death threats are kind of for non-ponies.

Being a pony is about friendship and kindness and my little pony. Everypony has their bad days but friendship is supposed to win.

I thought it was good and I noticed that there were parts that were similar to the show like Fluttershy meeting Twilight in the "human" world (some difference but very similar to the show)

It was very funny and I enjoyed it.

Wasn't as good as the show itself but not far behind it.

Move: 9/10 while the show: 10/10.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I know it's been a bit since the movie came out, but I want to post my thoughts on Equestria Girls. While I thoroughly enjoyed the movie for all its shout-outs to bronies and for the same overall adorableness that drew me originally to Friendship is Magic, I was certainly not oblivious to what appeared to be gaping plot holes (heh, "plot holes". I'm sorry), particularly in regards to Sunset Shimmer's seemingly schizophrenic plot (there I go again) that seemed to contradict itself over and over. But being the ever-optimistic feller I am, I'm going to tell you why the..... storyline (caught myself that time) was better than you thought.

If I recall correctly, most of the flack EqG's storyline got was due to the inconsistency of Sunset Shimmer's plan. But I say it wasn't inconsistent at all. Let's break it down, piece by piece. First, Sunset mocks Twilight to break her spirit, but more importantly has Snips and Snails take embarrassing photos and videos, which she then posts on YouTube to ruin Twilight's reputation. I'd say her thinking here is pretty clear: if Twilight is a laughing stock, no one will vote for her, and the crown would go to Sunset.

But then Twilight pulls together and puts on the best dang flash mob song you'll ever see and don't bother disagreeing because you're wrong. So then everybody wants to vote for Twilight, throwing a monkey wrench into Sunset's plot (dang it). This forces Sunset to rethink her plan, so now instead of making Twilight look too incompetent to vote for, she tries to make her ineligible to run by setting her up for trashing the gym. At this point, it doesn't matter to Sunset whether the dance is still held that night or has to be delayed, as either way, she'll be the only one who can possibly be crowned princess if all goes according to plan.

But of course it doesn't. Flash finds the photo clippings and proves Twilight's innocence, so Sunset is once again in danger of being usurped as Fall Formal Princess. This is where a lot of people think she doesn't make sense, because she tells Snips and Snails they should have shown some restraint in wrecking the gym. I think what people assume is that, even when she had them wreck the place, she still wanted the formal to be that night. I don't think that's the case; I think that, at the time she told S & S to wreck the gym, it didn't matter when the Fall Formal was held, but once Twilight was proven innocent and thus able to run for Princess again, Sunset needed it to happen before the portal closed. I'm sure she knew that Twilight would stay in the human world for thirty moons if that's what it took to get her crown back, so if the portal closed, Sunset wouldn't have anything to threaten her with.

So it was necessary for the dance to be that night, even though that's not what she expected, and her lashing out at S & S was likely just because her plans weren't working and she wanted someone to blame.

Speaking of her threat to Twilight, it was an empty threat in two ways: first, destroying the portal would ruin her plan to invade Equestria, and second, the hammer would've just passed through the portal, possibly hitting Fluttershy in the face, at which point the bronies would have invaded the screen and murdered Sunset on the spot. But really, though, a hammer wouldn't have done anything, and I'm sure Sunset knew this. My guess is that she was banking on Twilight not picking up on either aspect of the empty threat in the heat of the moment, and she was right.

There you have it: all of Sunset Shimmer's apparent inconsistencies closed up (unless I missed any, which is likely). But there's still one issue left, isn't there? Sunset Shimmer, a power-mad lunatic bent on wreaking destruction on those who wronged her, simply saw the error of her ways and accepted friendship into her heart. Really? Yes, really. Think about it: she was essentially Twilight Sparkle in her own time, the personal protege and close friend of Princess Celestia. I think we can assume that she, like Twilight, had trouble understanding the value of friendship, but she never had a major catastrophe beyond her control to show her how badly she needed friends. She sought to know everything about magic, and she grew very powerful, but that power was dangerous to others and to herself if it continued to grow exponentially, not being reigned in by the values found in friendship.

So Celestia warned her, and when Sunset didn't listen and wouldn't seek power the right way, Celestia turned her away. From her perspective, though, she lost the only friend she may have ever had because she was so powerful. Which could easily lead to immense pain that she would then cover up by convincing herself that power and friendship were mutually exclusive, that the only way to achieve power was to destroy friendship. And to her, that was worth it.

But she never understood that friendship had in itself a power beyond any she could imagine. She had never experienced the power that friendship could have, so when six weak, helpless humans refused to abandon each other, and their commitment to friendship overcame the most powerful magic Sunset could conjure, her entire worldview was shattered. That was literally the first time she had ever encountered the true power that friendship carried. She genuinely didn't realize that friendship was worth pursuing until six helpless friends defeated her because of their friendship. And this forced her also to face the pain of being turned away by Celestia, the pain she had hidden so long. So yes, it does make sense that she so quickly and easily had a change of heart.

Thanks for reading!

Also, go listen to MandoPony's "Shimmer On" right here. Specifically, pay attention to the part where he (singing as Sunset Shimmer) starts repeating "Anything you can do, I can do better." To me, this doesn't sound like anger toward Twilight so much as a vain attempt to reaffirm herself while her delicate psyche is snapped in half. That song is also what inspired me to write this. So go give MandoPony a thumbs up! And listen to all his stuff, because he's friggin' brilliant!

Edited by HennyPennyBenny

To be honest, I loved the movie aside from the American high school cliches, anorexic girls with arms the widths of pencils, multicolored humans, and the fact that no one freaked out when the mane 6 all became anthropomorphic horse/human hybrid creatures. The fact that the plot was terrible, it was nonsensical and I like nonsensical. Although I think it could have done a bit better than a high school setting, and that's what I'm hoping to expect in EQG 2.

Overall Good: Funny, witty, entertaining for the target demographic, left a warm feeling inside of me thinking that both Human and Pony universes exist together (That or I peed myself laughing), Trixie is cute as a human.

Overall Bad: Horrible plot, rushed towards the end, too much like Brats, the fact that a horse can fall in love with a human, crazy demon girl gets defeated by a rainbow (Mane six's most feared weapon of justice), character designs are weird.

I liked the film, but it could of had a bit more to it.

Not gonna go into too much depth, but it was alright.  Not 100% best, but more of 80%.  Like most people said, it seemed a little odd and like Kit Kat said above me, it had a very bad plot.  The character designs is another to a point where my appetite flew south for the winter.  Absolutely horrible.  The film indeed could've had much more, but it seems it lacked quite a few things.

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said before, it served it's purpose, which was to sell toys to little children. When people start talking about how they didn't like the movie, it just reminds me of a scene in Rocky Horror:

Janet: "He's a little tall."

Dr. Frankenfurter: "I didn't make him for you."

And that's what it is. It wasn't made for the brony audience, it was made towards the young girls (and even boys) playing with ponies.