Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Winners of the Poniverse Logo Design Contest!

Twilight Sparkle ✨

One more thing, I understand that some people are a little upset that the winning design looks "corporate" but think of it this way guys: as has been mentioned, it needs to be distinguishable at very small sizes, but even more importantly this is going to be the logo for the ENTIRE Poniverse!  Not just the forums or some other site, but multiple, interconnected sites.  So, if you think about it, there really is already an almost corporate aspect to the entire nature of the Poniverse to begin with, so really, this design logically makes sense.  It's a simple, slick, easily recognizable design that will be able to appear across multiple sites, signifying to all that each and every one of these sites belongs to the Poniverse.  So once again, I could not be happier with the decision, and also completely understand the reasoning behind Feld0's and the mod's decision.  Great job guys!

Besides, now I get to imagine Feld0 as some almighty Poniverse executive somewhere doing this every day!

img-1571395-1-lOTvH.jpg

HA! img-1571395-2-yay.png

Summed up perfectly my friend! I couldn't of put it any better myself. I'm thinking of how to make the logo more 'fun' but still be the two swirls and the oval that you guys love. I shal brainstorm ideas tonight!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

The art and design themselves are not horrible. However, the design is impeccably flawed for it's intended purpose.

You clearly state that it looks more "corporate" than the rest, but honestly, you need to put a little bit of thought into this. You are not doing this for a corporation, you are doing this primarily for a bunch of teenage and adult males that are watching a show designed for little girls. None of them want to to partake in anything corporate, they want to have fun chatting about, roleplaying, and watching ponies. They want a fun and interesting logo, not one that makes them feel as if they are being watched over by some unnecessary company.

Secondly, anyone who first takes a look at that is not even in the slightest going to think of ponies. First of all, that supposed "p" doesn't look at all like a P. It could be anything, really. An abstract eye, the top down of a hurricane, the innards of a flushing toilet. The list goes on forever. And honestly, every time I see that, I don't read "Poniverse", because it looks much more like an "O". "Ooniverse". A stylized P is a good idea, but the way it has been done in the winning logo is, quite honestly, terrible.

The main issue I have with this logo though... it doesn't look at all like anything related to My Little Pony. This is absolutely essential to your logo, as you want it to be easily recognized by all members of the fandom. A silhouette of a mascot for Poniverse would be the best idea to throw into the logo, in the shows style, of course. Because the shape of ponies is very unique and easily stands out, any fan of the show would take one look and automatically associate it with ponies. Any brony who looks at that logo without context is going to say, "Too businessy looking. Moving on." while with context they will be saying, "Wait, this has to do with ponies? Looks more like some business out to steal my money..."

Basically what I am trying to say here is... no offense, but your choice sucks. If you know what's good for Poniverse, you will trash this one and nab something better immediately.

Edited by Klopp
  • Brohoof 10

(edited)

The art and design themselves are not horrible. However, the design is impeccably flawed for it's intended purpose.

You clearly state that it looks more "corporate" than the rest, but honestly, you need to put a little bit of thought into this. You are not doing this for a corporation, you are doing this primarily for a bunch of teenage and adult males that are watching a show designed for little girls. None of them want to to partake in anything corporate, they want to have fun chatting about, roleplaying, and watching ponies. They want a fun and interesting logo, not one that makes them feel as if they are being watched over by some unnecessary company.

Secondly, anyone who first takes a look at that is not even in the slightest going to think of ponies. First of all, that supposed "p" doesn't look at all like a P. It could be anything, really. An abstract eye, the top down of a hurricane, the innards of a flushing toilet. The list goes on forever. And honestly, every time I see that, I don't read "Poniverse", because it looks much more like an "O". "Ooniverse". A stylized P is a good idea, but the way it has been done in the winning logo is, quite honestly, terrible.

The main issue I have with this logo though... it doesn't look at all like anything related to My Little Pony. This is absolutely essential to your logo, as you want it to be easily recognized by all members of the fandom. A silhouette of a mascot for Poniverse would be the best idea to throw into the logo, in the shows style, of course. Because the shape of ponies is very unique and easily stands out, any fan of the show would take one look and automatically associate it with ponies. Any brony who looks at that logo without context is going to say, "Too businessy looking. Moving on." while with context they will be saying, "Wait, this has to do with ponies? Looks more like some business out to steal my money..."

Basically what I am trying to say here is... no offense, but your choice sucks. If you know what's good for Poniverse, you will trash this one and nab something better immediately.

Okay. Fair point. There is a lot of room for change. I never expected the version I submitted to be the exact one that would be used on the site. I'm in a position where I'm evolving the logo to improve it both aesthetically and meaningfully. There's no way to make everyone happy with a design, but il try to get as many people confident with this design as I can. I can't make any promises but I certainly will consider the things you and others said to implement in the new design. Although don't expect it to be an entirely new logo, just a modified one Edited by Jamiequadbike
  • Brohoof 5

Okay. Fair point. There is a lot of room for change. I never expected the version I submitted to be the exact one that would be used on the site. I'm in a position where I'm evolving the logo to improve it both aesthetically and meaningfully. There's no way to make everyone happy with a design, but il try to get as many people confident with this design as I can. I can't make any promises but I certainly will consider the things you and others said to implement in the new design. Although don't expect it to be an entirely new logo, just a modified one

Always good to try modifications and get a feel for what the majority likes. Even if you can't please everyone, pleasing more people the second time around than you did the first round is better than nothing. I don't particularly flat-out agree with absolutely everything said by those against it and the brohoofers following them, but I admit, this design was not in my personal top three when the staff voted on things, and it had to take Feld0 pointing out that it looked like a P for me to even see that. Seeing how it could potentially be improved can only be worth a shot.

• Brohoof 2

Think it's a safe bet to say that most blue and white logo designs immediately flash the "corporate" look?

No matter. I quite like the first design. I'm fond of the swirly "P" design the logo has donned. I know we're, at heart, a community based around colorful ponies but then again, this is your community we're talking about. If it means foreshadowing your business side (not necessarily a bad thing) with the logo, I'm all for it. I don't think I need to say any more other than that it's sleek, compact, and not complicated at all to look at.

Okay. Fair point. There is a lot of room for change. I never expected the version I submitted to be the exact one that would be used on the site. I'm in a position where I'm evolving the logo to improve it both aesthetically and meaningfully. There's no way to make everyone happy with a design, but il try to get as many people confident with this design as I can. I can't make any promises but I certainly will consider the things you and others said to implement in the new design. Although don't expect it to be an entirely new logo, just a modified one

I think you've got the aesthetics down. I do have to agree that it does give me the vibe that Poniverse is a ruthless business since I can't really tell if it's even based on My Little Pony.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

If there were just these three and no other entries at all, I would've reversed the order, personally.

I agree with Zoop, Tich, Party Cannon, Extreme Gentlecolt, and Klopp. The first two may look good, but they do not really work well as logos representing a PONYverse. Also my submission is not #1

After learning it'll be improved though, I'll wait for the new version before judging further.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

If there were just these three and no other entries at all, I would've reversed the order, personally.I agree with Zoop, Tich, Party Cannon, Extreme Gentlecolt, and Klopp. The first two may look good, but they do not really work well as logos representing a PONYverse. Also my submission is not #1After learning it'll be improved though, I'll wait for the new version before judging further.

Me and feld0 had a chat today about how it can be developed. Nothing's final yet but I can say it will be more colourful and fun than my current one. Plus have an improved shape. All to be revealed soon!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

My apologies to the artists and to Feld0 in advance-but I disagree almost entirely with your decision.

Jamiequadbike's work reminds me only of two things: the popular social network Skype's logo, and the Yin & Yang symbol.

In fact, the logo could represent anything. I feel it is so generic, it could represent...say...

It could represent a supermarket fish product.

Example:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yeah, that's a little mean, but hey: I'm just being honest!

Sorry again. I looked a some others, and i agree with FC. I would have picked Matrixchicken's.

Congratulations anyway, Jamie.

Or in the case of a greek supermarket to be the logo of it 

sklavenitis-2.gif

Not exactly  the same but similar XD 

Well I got to agree with zoop,Klopp and Tich 

It is really generic,bland and it doesn't even reseble a P at least in my eyes for the Ponyverse thing :/ 

It really not bad just unfitting 

Edited by Leafeon

I agree with Zoop on this one. But, it really is Feld0's decision on his favorite logo. It is his website after all. I, personally, like the third one the best. Oh well. Congrats Jamie Joshua and John!

Honestly, I'm going to have to agree with the dissenters on your selection. I don't think the problem is that it's too "corporate", but rather that it doesn't seem to serve its purpose. The stylized 'P' doesn't look like a 'P', so it's a real stretch to look at it and go "That's says 'Poniverse'".

The second issue, as others have said, is that it's not identifiable with the fandom. While I personally saw a stylized pony head before I saw a galaxy (that dot in the middle? Pony eye!), I see that I'm clearly not in the majority, and that almost nobody else will make the connection.

Jamie, don't get the wrong idea. It's a wonderful logo, but perhaps not for this application. It looks sleek and professional, and would be an excellent logo for a corporation or social networking platform that isn't, well, this.

• Brohoof 2

Just curious as to if you've made any progress on this :3 Last thing anyone wants is for the logo to start being used everywhere, and thus make it more of a pain in the butt when it receives edits, and then needs to be replaced in all those places.

Just curious as to if you've made any progress on this :3 Last thing anyone wants is for the logo to start being used everywhere, and thus make it more of a pain in the butt when it receives edits, and then needs to be replaced in all those places.

Since it was announced that I won I have made a large amount of progress to improve the logo. The one sent by email yesterday to everyone was done after I was told but before it was announced to everyone else. So the criticism I recieved was not intergrated in that as there were none at the time. And if by 'everywhere' you mean on every poniverse site, that's up to feldo0 of where and how it will be placed. Although we've had some discussions concerning that. But when the site goes up, it will have the final version of the logo and will most likely not change for however long. I'm not psychic :P

I hope that's what you meant. I've just woken up and not thinking completely accurate.

• 2 weeks later...