Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Post Your Poniverse Logo!

MatrixChicken

Post your Poniverse logo contest entries!

Over that past few months, a contest was held to see who could design the best logo for Poniverse, "an integrated supercommunity...designed to serve the niches of the MLP:FiM fandom".

For more information on the contest and the winning logo entries, check out this post. :)

As those who entered most likely know, there were a lot of entries in this contest. Hundreds, even. I, personally, am very interested in graphics design, and would love to see all your entries, whether they were counted in the contest or not.  Feel free to post whichever you feel like; whether it be just the one(s) of yours you liked the best, or all of them. I have permission from Feld0 himself to create this thread, so it's completely fine to post them if you want to. :catface:

I hope to get some constructive criticism on my entries, as I could use any and all help I can get in becoming a better graphics designer! That said, let's get posting! :D

I'll be posting all three of my entries. :3

Entry #1post-1-0-13493700-1370857305.png

This was the third place winner in the contest... Yeah. I was pretty surprised when I placed with this one. Feld0 did a pretty good critique on it in the winning entries thread. I agree with him completely about the abundance of complexity not always being a good thing.

Entry #2

post-3479-0-75834200-1371516776_thumb.png

Yeah... I have no idea where I was going with this one. Still, if you can see any glimmer of good in it, or some unintentional hidden meaning, by all means, tell me! :D

Entry #3

post-3479-0-13959500-1371517028_thumb.png

This was the one I was betting on. I was pretty proud of it, myself, but Feld0 explained that it was too generic of a design, and the first one spoke "Poniverse" to him more than this one.

Anyways, I hope to see a bunch of you guys' entries! And don't forget to tell me and all the other contestants what you liked/what could be better about their entries! :)

• Brohoof 11

I did also happen to do so wink.png
post-1-0-79858700-1370857010_thumb.png
This is the one they picked out of my variations for 2nd.

Though I also entered this:

post-7058-0-32824100-1371518101_thumb.png

But what they were looking for was simplistic, to which I fell slightly short; oh well :P

• Brohoof 9

Mine was rather meh compared to your guys, but it was something that I liked! I was pretty proud of it!

3Hc5GJ8.jpg

See, I used the generic world. I didn't really put my work into that.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Okey, im here now! Lets begin.

So my first submission was this:

Poniverse%20Icon.png

According to Feld0, this was a very strong competitor. He liked the cleverness of the head integrated within the 'P' and the overall aesthetics of it. The Place where it failed was when is got scaled down to the dreaded favicon size (16x16). The logo then became unidentifiable. This version had many evolutions to get to the final product but I'm overall quite happy with it.

A logo that only i have seen and was very close to being used was this:

Blobs.png

Sadly, it never went any further than just an idea and a rough vector. The idea behind this was to have the 'blobs' individually representing pony fm and the Forums, and when they merged, they created a P. I was pretty confident that this was a great idea, but for whatever reason i didn't do much with it and just moved on. 

When i designed my logos, i in fact designed them as a set. So in addition to the poniverse logo, i did a forums, Pony fm and equestria TV logo aswell. It was realy more of me wanting to experiment than genuinely expecting feld0 to use them. But here's what they looked like:

Group_Promotional4_Ref.png

If it were to be used, i would certainly change some of the icons and possibly make pony fm a radio instead of a music note, but thats what i had at the time.

So, for MatrixChicken's constructive criticism:

My opinion on the first one is very similar to feld0's. It looks great large but when at 16x16, it really isn't identifiable. The pony head would become invisible and the identifier would of been lost. If you were to make a version with just the planet like i did with mine it would be much more useable when dealing with sizes. The texture wouldn't be a great choice when dealing with vectors and the green ring does stand out a bit too much. But overall its a pretty good submission that certainly deserves a podium finnish!

You're second one was quite interesting. Im afraid it doesn't have much meaning to it and (this might be just absolute stupidness coming out of me) it could quite possibly represent the 'dark side' of the poniverse. I really do however like you're experimentation with it and the execution, but it just doesn't portray enough This is poniverse"

The third i think was quite good. You took advantage of the middle letter, therefor making it symmetrical. It does however look a bit too large with the massive circle above the V. And this is really OCDs talking but the V is rounded whereas the rest of the letters were blocky and had points. Just saying!

So yeah, i hope my criticism was somewhat helpful to you in the future. For anyone else wanting criticism, just give me a shout!

(whoa! I'm up to 2112 characters! the longest post I've ever made!)

Edited by Jamiequadbike
  • Brohoof 7

(edited)

*snip*

Ooh! I really like the second one (with the blobs)! Heh, it's quite obvious who has more experience in logo design... tongue.png

Thanks for the critique, BTW! There were a couple variations of my second entry; I was trying to incorporate the letter P into it some way, but I eventually kinda gave up on that design and sent it in the way it was. tongue.png If my third entry would have won, I definitely would have changed a bunch of problems with it, including those that you mentioned. :3

Edited by MatrixChicken

Heh, it's quite obvious who has more experience in logo design...

Uh, yeah... this is my first logo design. Its because i did so much research of what should be in a good logo that i had many ideas buzzing around in my head at the end of it all. We've done logos numerous times in school (including today (which was very controversial (thats for another topic))), but we have never learnt any further than the basics. I've pretty much self taught my self with graphic design. That and just drawing random stuff in my maths book :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Personally i think third place should have won first. I agree with zoop sadly, the first and second winners were too corporate, and didn't define pony. But never the less, congrats.

I bet everyone did amazing jobs and i can't wait to see. Here's my entry.

In the spoiler to keep from expanding page space.

post-13889-0-15769000-1371576504_thumb.png

Edited by Toy-Soldier
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Pretty happy with the outcome, the top 3 were very strong logos! As a graphic designer myself I feel that the winner is a very good logo.

Anyway here are the ones I made, unfortunately I didn't get to spend as much time on them as I would have liked. I really liked the font but the graphics were meh and rushed.

post-10109-0-16833800-1371577259_thumb.png

post-10109-0-20226300-1371577266_thumb.png

Edited by Aaramus
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Alright I told myself that I would not upload mine since they are so incredibly bad, I have never made logos before so I suck at coming up with any good ideas :c

The key to a good logo is like...mostly something simple but clever :c

Anyways here goes nothing...

img-1574388-1-fx8.png

img-1574388-2-83j.png

img-1574388-3-3z9.png

samebutothercolor

img-1574388-4-tk5.png

I have made another one that's just a logo without so much text, but I never sent it to Feld0, lol. And naaaah I won't share :v

I said the winner didn't look like it had with ponies to do, mine doesn't either, I know. I didn't come up with anything good and I didn't put much effort into making them :v

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, Jamie said he'd be improving the design of the logo, so I'm waiting for that before passing judgment for good. I agree that the top two, as they are posted in the official thread, don't exactly represent the spirit of the community though.

Anyway, copy-pasta from my Tumblr post, pics and description.

tumblr_mmu57aJJdv1rmff5xo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmu57aJJdv1rmff5xo2_1280.jpg

"I had recently downloaded this iPad photomanip app called Repix, with all kinds of effects like stars and dust. You understand why I took this contest as an opportunity to upgrade and use it, because I had an idea but couldn’t find a decent artist to make it for me.

The idea came from the “universe” aspect of Poniverse, hence the space theme.

The background was made by opening some random wallpaper and using the Eraser tool all over the surface (fortunately I use a stylus, or my finger would’ve been wrecked). Outlines were made with Stars tool of course, with additionally some Dust to emulate a nebula for the eye.

The mane was done with the Hollywood tool, which makes a blue, slight, smoke-like mark (five colors being available under different names).

Can’t remember if I used any other tools, besides cropping the picture because it was frickin’ huge."

Edited by Feather Spiral

post-11711-0-61650500-1371962510_thumb.png

This is my submission to the contest.

The large Planet and the alicorn silhouette represent Poniverse and My Little Pony. The little planet represents the other websites. I originally had more than one planet in the design, but I was afraid it would look too busy.

My favorite designs posted here are MatrixChicken’s first entry, Jamiequadbike’s first entry and Jokuc’s first logo.

• Brohoof 3

*snip*

I really like this!

I mean it could even be shortened to the silhouette in the planet for an icon..

This is really nice, great job :3!

<.< THOUGH other people need to share to, i wanna see all these entries, gosh darn it. Share your creativity guys.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This was the logo I entered:

post-642-0-87326300-1372527749_thumb.png

For whatever it's worth, I had fun making it and would love some critique from those who know things about such things.

Some of the things I thought about and made intentional was making it not look too corporate and thus having font selection critical (Designosaur Italic, which is a free font, simplifying use), having some visual element that directly references My Little Pony (the rainbow, taken and modified from the actual MLP:FiM official logo) and some aspect which could be easily implemented as maybe an icon for a portable App ('cause you never know...) or otherwise could summarize the whole of what Poniverse would represent (the Brony fandom as a collected community) in a simple shape. So, I took a picture of Derpy, gave her a horn and used her silhouette.

Her silhouette is representative of what I would say is an average pony design, making seleection of her ideal over more specific designs (favoritism?) such as Twilight or Rarity or any of the more identifiable characters; they're all shared protagonists, and it would be unfair to just have one symbolize all, and it would be unrecognizable to have all six share one shape.

I also made the logo in black and white, using the rainbow as alternating grey stripes. The colour selection was last, and I just improvised four different schemes based heavily on a combination of Equestria Daily's and MLPforums's normal colour schemes. Then I made a different colour scheme based upon each of a bunch of main characters. (If I recall, each of the mane cast, each of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Princess Celestia and Luna, Spike, Big Macintosh, Lyra, Bonbon, Derpy, TG&P Trixie and I think perhaps steven magnets.) I then presented those logo colour schemes to four of my non/anti-brony friends and they chose parts of those colour schemes that they liked, and I combined them. The final design is a mix of Improvisation 2, Princess Celestia and darkned for higher contrast.

I'll hold onto my PSD for old times' sake.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 5

Well, dang.  For some reason, I didn't receive an email about this at all and had someone else tell me about all this happening... 

Well, when I did my logo, I was thinking of ways that would make it look fun and entertaining while also relating to the show, but not in a way that would force people to dislike it if say it was on a shirt.  That's what I was attempting, anyways.

post-5025-0-35031300-1372563894_thumb.jpg

post-5025-0-32177300-1372563938_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Hazardus that looks like the patapon logo, did you take inspiration from the font and logo because that game was awesome and vaguely reminded me of mlp.

Oh wow, I totally forgot that game existed!  And here I am with a copy of the second game too, sort of wish I could afford the third one for download.

When I was drawing this up, I was pretending that this was on some merchandise or on the front of a website.  Originally, I wanted to make the logo for the contest how the logo that did win went, but then thought that it might feel too business like.  So instead, I just thought of something that would appeal a younger audience that likes MLP:FiM, but is also appealing to an older viewer without it being obvious it's from this show. 

This has a slightly more active look that I thought would look neat on things like shirts or if it was animated as a gif.  But looking at the logo that won, I guess they wanted a more business look after all, so maybe I shouldn't have listened to my instincts when making this.  Not sure what to do with this logo now.  Maybe I'll rework it slightly and remove the name so I can make it into something else, still thinking on what to do...

I didn't get to submit this because I was too late, but now that I look back on it, I thought this turned out really well.

post-4258-0-32464100-1372910193_thumb.jpg

Tell me what you think! Yeah, I personally think MatrixChicken should've totally won. The top two had nothing to do with ponies or universes, and the third one involved both. Ugh, it just doesn't seem right! -.-

• Brohoof 2

I didn't get to submit this because I was too late, but now that I look back on it, I thought this turned out really well.

Tell me what you think! Yeah, I personally think MatrixChicken should've totally won. The top two had nothing to do with ponies or universes, and the third one involved both. Ugh, it just doesn't seem right! -.-

Wow, I really like that logo! :o If it was just a bit more polished, this could totally boot my entry right off the podium! :D Too bad you couldn't enter it. :(

And thanks. :D

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

well, if everyone posted them, I might as well...

logo_zpse2251f8f.png

logo_zps8266e91b.png

yes, I did, in fact, write Ponyverse, with a Y... what can I say, I was pretty tired that night, no further comments

the main idea of the logo is that you had all three types of ponies there, the pegasi, the earth ponies and the unicorns; also, I liked simplicity, I wanted the logo to be something simple that stuck with you after seeing it for the first time, really complex logos can't accomplish that...

Edited by Delzepp
  • Brohoof 1