Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash's REAL top speed?

Zephyrspark

(edited)

We've all seen it. Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom. Most of us have also seen (or at least heard of) the MLP physics presentation video. Specifically the part where he notes Rainbow Dash's speed to be roughly Mach 10. So it would seem like that Mach 10 is her top speed... right?

WRONG!

Rainbow Dash's speed was calculated while she was flying at a downward angle. That was the second time she preformed the sonic rainboom. But think about this. The third time she preformed it was straight upwards or AGAINST THE FORCE OF GRAVITY. Not only that, but also note that she shows absolutely no signs of strain whatsever maintaining this the third time wheras during her second time, she was struggling quite a bit. Assuming all of her rainbooms are the same speed upon reaching it (mach 10), what would happen if she applied the same amount of effort had she been flying downward the third time? What would happen if she applied MORE effort? Considering her strain (or lack therof), she seems perfectly capable of doing so.

I couldn't find a formula or equation that takes the force of gravity in consideration so please! Someone out there! Plug in this new information!

Edited by Zephyrspark
  • Brohoof 2

Let me just open by saying, SONIC IS FASTEST PONY HEDGEHOG TROLOLOL

Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but one would think that her sonic rainbooms would occur at the same point as an ordinary sonic boom, that is, upon breaching the speed of sound (Mach 1). That said, the thought that she could actually reach Mach 10 - a speed that would allow her to circle planet Earth in just over 3 hours - seems like a bit of a stretch to me, personally. Especially when taken into account some of the maneuvers she seems to be able to pull off at those speeds.

For example, the very first time we see the sonic rainboom - when RD rescues Rarity and the Wonderbolts - she suddenly veers off course just before they hit the ground. Again, I'm no rocket scientist, but I know enough rudiments of physics to see a problem here: If they were going anywhere near Mach 10 (or even slightly above Mach 1, for that matter), wouldn't a sudden 90 degree turn generate enough G force to kill them all instantly? Or at the very least, seriously injure them?

...Then again, we're bringing real-world science into a fantasy cartoon where winged horses can actually fly, instead of plummet to the ground like they would in real life. wacko.png

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I don't think she can reach Mach 10. I think there is a certain speed (very fast, but significantly less than Mach 10) at which a burst of magical energy is emitted. The color of the "boom" is dependent on the color of the pegasus' magic.

"Now wait, pegasus' don't have magic."

Well, it is a popular fanon that all ponies have innate magic, and it's that magic that lets pegasus' fly. But only unicorns can channel it out of their horns.

So according to my theory, if Rainbow Dash was a unicorn, she would shoot rainbow jets of energy out of her horn. ohmy.png

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

very true, rainbowdash probably could go passed match 10 though if she tried. I find her abilities quite satisfyin' with the fact she can absolutely achieve rainbooms 3 TIMES.

I don't think she can reach Mach 10. I think there is a certain speed (very fast, but significantly less than Mach 10) at which a burst of magical energy is emitted. The color of the "boom" is dependent on the color of the pegasus' magic.

"Now wait, pegasus' don't have magic."

Well, it is a popular fanon that all ponies have innate magic, and it's that magic lets pegasus' fly. But only unicorns can channel it out of their horns.

So according to my theory, if Rainbow Dash was a unicorn, she would shoot rainbow jets of energy out of her horn. ohmy.png

Well actually look it up. People measured her speed on the cone in which she was flying. You know the one that she is flying in. Well they measured the angle of said cone and she did brake mach 10 so yeah.

(edited)

I've always found it funny that Dashie is super speedy, yet timid Fluttershy can keep up with her when necessary! She's often flown beside her, clearly at a decent speed else Dashie might have protested otherwise. She can also catch Dashie!

Edited by Dashabel

Well actually look it up. People measured her speed on the cone in which she was flying. You know the one that she is flying in. Well they measured the angle of said cone and she did brake mach 10 so yeah.

Have you seen the Brony Physics Presentation? The guy proved that the same cone was not a viable method of calculating Dash's true speed. As in, if we're measuring different Mach grades by the physics of our universe, then the G's of her true speed would kill her.

An important thing to note; it's impossible to fly straight upwards, and it is likewise impossible to gain any extra speed while flying straight downwards. The rainboom from the Canterlot Wedding and the Best Young Flyer's would have been inclined, as the lift that would take a flying creature into the air would have no effect; and when Rainbow dived to save Rarity in Sonic Rainboom, she would have also presumably been either inclined to gather more speed using streamlining, or simply dive-bombing, in which case she would achieve that speed from minimising air resistance against her; a law of physics is that the terminal velocity (another important phrase) of a vertically falling object will never exceed the speed of sound. Angle it, though, and it's possible to go faster than the terminal velocity.

It's a question of what that angle is, and how much extra speed that Dash can get from it; until we find out, we can't truly tell what her real speed is. You have to make a bunch of assumptions as well.

• Brohoof 2

Well here is my theory: She can temporally fly faster than light, which lets her shatter the light spectrum. Since no one has gone faster than light yet here, it might just create a real Sonic Rainboom.

Or maybe she just got better after the episode Sonic Rainboom and was easily able to do it at the wedding?

• Brohoof 2

Well, in this case, we arent worried about maximum velocity, because we know that already; Mach equations show RD's velocity to be around Mach 4.8, or about the same velocity of a SCRAM Jet at maximum capacity. Not quite mach 10, but still pretty impressive for a little girls toy. 

If you would like to see proof of Rainbow Dashes velocity, see link here:

In this instance, we are more worried about forces and G-Forces acting on Rainbow Dash, as that would give insight as to the strain she would be feeling from forces acting on her, such as speed and gravity. In the standard, 'downhill' acceleration as seen in Season 1 Episode 16, Dash is experiencing somewhere around 25000 N. So, Imagine being slammed by two Diesel Freight trains, or moving your wings fast enough to keep up with a T-38 Talon. 

Here is the kicker: that is downhill, with gravity HELPING Rainbow Dash. The fact that she shows minimal exertion uphill makes no sense in terms of physics, unless the mountain Canterlot lies on is higher than it appears - high enough to get away from the gravity of the Equestrian planet, which would have to be somewhere around 2000km, assuming that Equestria has Gravity similar to that of Earth. 

Of course, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Equestrian gravity is lower than the gravitational pul of gaia, but it is much easier to assume terrestrial forces for the sake of doing math without brains exploding. 

- Maybe I will calculate the gravity of Equestria later - 

Of course, the nation is called Equestria, no idea what the planet is called-

Getting of topic! Back to uphill flight!

How can rainbow dash pull of an uphill sonic rainboom without so much as a bead of sweat?

We could draw it up to a number of things

1) Lower gravitational pull, for some stupid reason

2) RD has been practicing Sonic Rainbooms while wearing lead underpants

3) Magnets

4) Its a show for little girls, why are we thinking into this?

5)???

6)Profit

7) Why am I here again?

Anyway, definitely brings up a few questions, many of which I am interested to learn the answer to. 

And here I was thinking that, with summer, my AP Physics class was over.

If you are interested in doing some reading, or if you just like ironic language, feel free to read an old paper of mine! This was actually my SL Mathematics IA back in January. I did a whole paper on the physics of cartoons. Its only about 2000 words, and most of it is pictures. Please check it out! Im sure someone here is interested!

Mock Internal Assessment.docx

• Brohoof 4

This is one of those topics that, a few months ago, I would be all over hammering out a lengthy, informative post.  Right now, I just can't get into very technical discussions like that.  Maybe it's just due to the lull between seasons and the fact that I've been mentally preoccupied with other stuff.  :P

Anyway, the hardest part for me to wrap my head around is the hard turn Rainbow Dash makes as grabs Rarity and THREE Wonderbolts at the same time.  How did she hold onto them without hands and maintain that grip against such enormous G force?  Who knows?  It's just one of those scenes that's part suspension of disbelief and part miracle.  It's possible Princess Celestia cast some kind of spell to assist in this feat too. 

• Brohoof 1

Well clearly something is different about the physics of flying in the ponyverse. I think either Rainbow Dash is resistant to G force (possibly due to the amount of hours she has spent flying) or the G force has been greatly weakened. Most likely both.

I've always found it funny that Dashie is super speedy, yet timid Fluttershy can keep up with her when necessary! She's often flown beside her, clearly at a decent speed else Dashie might have protested otherwise. She can also catch Dashie!

Don't forget Pinkie Pie, who actually managed to gallop behind Rainbow Dash while chasing her... and even beat her to the places. ... And she did this TWICE. She's like a crossing of Pepe Le Pew and Flash.

As for the topic at hand... I remember watching a video about physics in MLP world and why some of them are impossible. Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom was mentioned at that and the one who made that presentation actually calculated the speed by doing just the thing Silver Fox 117 mentioned and said it was impossible by the laws of physics.

I, however, think Rainbow's speed is very high. Her real speed however is a bit of a mystery and is quite impossible to measure. I can only guess so I'm gonna say her top speed is around speed of sound.

• Brohoof 1

Well Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie. She doesn't count because she can defy the laws of physics at will lol

And anyway, Rainbow Dash's speed goes WAY past the speed of sound. Her top speed I'm assuming goes past ten times, in fact.

It is hard to tell because they explain it as a few things in the show. 

1) It was said that When a pegasus, like Rainbow Dash, goes faster than their natural limits, a sonic rainboom appears. So all this would be is going faster than the pegasus' terminal velocity, which, in itself, is alreaady impossible.

2) Another time in the show it is stated that it's breaking the sound barrier, so mach one, which is highly unlikely for the amount of thrust she can get from her wings if she is trying to make a sonic rainboom going against the force of gravity. However, it would be more likely if she were to perform one like she did in theepisode Sonic Rainboom, where she was going almost straight down.

So really there are two different sonic rainbooms, if you ask me. One when you break the sound barrier, and one when you break terminal velocity.