Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinion on Twilight and Flash Sentry

Sergios117

What's your opinion on the FlashLight shipping? (Yes Twilight and Flash Sentry make FlashLight). I personally think it's a nice shipping however there's barely anything we know about Flash Sentry, even with the movie. The end of the movie 'SPOILERS' also teases Twilight having a crush on him however.

Flash seems pretty nice and cool, but the idea of Twilight being shipped with a royal guard kinda goes against my views of Twilight. Cadance is already married with a royal guard and I'd imagine Twilight ending up with somepony nerdy or smart but no, Hasbro wants to go with the stereotypical route. 

Don't get me wrong, I support FlashLight, mainly cause it's canon (suck it Twilight x mare shippers.) but I'd rather have her shipped with somepony like Comet Tail.

What do you think?

(edited)

What's your opinion on the FlashLight shipping? (Yes Twilight and Flash Sentry make FlashLight). I personally think it's a nice shipping however there's barely anything we know about Flash Sentry, even with the movie. The end of the movie 'SPOILERS' also teases Twilight having a crush on him however.

Flash seems pretty nice and cool, but the idea of Twilight being shipped with a royal guard kinda goes against my views of Twilight. Cadance is already married with a royal guard and I'd imagine Twilight ending up with somepony nerdy or smart but no, Hasbro wants to go with the stereotypical route. 

Don't get me wrong, I support FlashLight, mainly cause it's canon (suck it Twilight x mare shippers.) but I'd rather have her shipped with somepony like Comet Tail.

What do you think?

Lol, FlashLight, that's what they're actually calling it? tongue.png

Anyway, I'm all for Twilight getting a stallion, but I was hoping it'd be somepony nerdy and... more her type. Maybe in season 4 they'll give Flash Sentry some more character development, 'cause right now we got a serious GARY STU ALERT!

Edited by SparkBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Flash Sentry will not be in season four. That's at least what Meghan tweeted a day after the movie's premiere. So it's movie canon or possible Equestria Girls spin-off series canon, if there will be one.

But I won't totally rely on that. Maybe he'll return in season five. And if he's really a Gary Stu and a bland character, I hope that doesn't predict how the future episodes will be like...

• Brohoof 6

Flash Sentry will not be in season four. That's at least what Meghan tweeted a day after the movie's premiere. So it's movie canon or possible Equestria Girls spin-off series canon, if there will be one.

But I won't totally rely on that. Maybe he'll return in season five. And if he's really a Gary Stu and a bland character, I hope that doesn't predict how the future episodes will be like...

I'm well aware that Flash Sentry will not be in season 4. I'm just asking if you guys support the pairing for you know, fan works. Now that we have canon information that Twilight has a crush on someone, the shipping community will go crazy. Although there are some Yuri fans who are raging right now because for some reason, it seems unbelievable that a children's character is hetro.

• Brohoof 3

Really does it matter? Trust the writers they'll do the best they possibly could if twilight gets a boyfriend thats a guard so be it I'm sure they'll make it good

From what I'm gathering, it didn't really go anywhere and it didn't really add anything to the story beyond lampshading the whole new girl meets nice guy trope that exists in shows/movies set in high school.

It seems like kinda of a waste of time, but it's not even a major plot point of the movie by the looks of things, so I'll let it slide.  No harm, no foul.

He might have just been for the movie and the Equestria Girls spin off.  If he's in season 4, he'd basically have to be introduced again.

I haven't seen the movie yet sad.png  so correct me if I'm wrong.  It seems to me that Flash and Twilight knew each other before the movie.  Makes sense.  If he were a high ranking Royal Gaurd, he probably knew her brother.  They could easily do another flashback to explain how they knew each other.  And wouldn't that be just like FiM?

So wait I'm confused is there going to be a Equestria Girls TV show? or just the movie? I thought it was only going to be the movie and not any TV version.

They haven't said there would be a TV series for EG, but it could happen, or they could just bring in elements of the movie like shipping this stallion with Twi. What we do know is right now they are totally seperate.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There is a lot we don't know about Flash Sentry so he would need to be fleshed out quite a bit more, the human version of him is a jock and the pony version is a guard but that dosen't mean that he and Twilight don't have much in common or that they are not compatible mates. He could have a nerdy side just like Twilight for all we know, but since we don't really know much about him I am neutral on it.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I'm well aware that Flash Sentry will not be in season 4. I'm just asking if you guys support the pairing for you know, fan works. Now that we have canon information that Twilight has a crush on someone, the shipping community will go crazy. Although there are some Yuri fans who are raging right now because for some reason, it seems unbelievable that a children's character is hetro.

Okay, then I'll be more precisely.

I do not support it. Why? They simply created the generic Mr.-Good-Looking to have something for the tweens. In a spin-off of a show that deals with deep relations between its main characters, there should at least be more time and characterization before you pull off a shipping like that, or even a hint that allows you to ship them reasonable.

And I have a second reason. They created that character and at the same time - no idea what reasons they had - they turn down the only shipping that was canon-wise most likely possible by turning Spike into a friggin' dog. That's how I see it. Just my opinion.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 2

It seems that Twilight likes men in uniform. If Flash Sentry's anything like Shining Armor--a stallion who Twilight has always admired--then it's not unreasonable for Twilight to fall for someone similar. Furthermore, since we know that military runs in Twilight's family (both her brother and her uncle are or were Royal Guards, making at least two), Twilight may have grown up admiring military men, and seeing them as the embodiment of masculinity.

That said, Brad may yet have another side of him that we don't know about. Who knows, he might even be a nerd underneath that uniform. Also, pony Brad, being a separate person from human Brad, doesn't exactly know Twilight that well, does he? Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing him again in Season 4, even if McCarthy said he wouldn't be. 

• Brohoof 5

It seems that Twilight likes men in uniform. If Flash Sentry's anything like Shining Armor--a stallion who Twilight has always admired--then it's not unreasonable for Twilight to fall for someone similar. Furthermore, since we know that military runs in Twilight's family (both her brother and her uncle are or were Royal Guards, making at least two), Twilight may have grown up admiring military men, and seeing them as the embodiment of masculinity.

That said, Brad may yet have another side of him that we don't know about. Who knows, he might even be a nerd underneath that uniform. Also, pony Brad, being a separate person from human Brad, doesn't exactly know Twilight that well, does he? Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing him again in Season 4, even if McCarthy said he wouldn't be.

Uncle? What uncle? Her Dad may have been a guard too for all we know when he was younger. I do agree that being so close to Shining Armor would prime her for at least being comfortable with the guards. We also saw that at least one guard, in Lesson Zero maybe?, knew her personally or at least knew her as SA little sister.

• Brohoof 1

First off: LOL FlashLight! That is kinda genius...

Second, I am a little confused: if Twilight dates Flash in the human universe, does that make it okay for her to date him in the pony universe? If so, wouldn't she technically be dating two men at once, which would be cheating? I just... *head explodes*

But I'm not really against the pairing, especially since a strong presence in the show from a male Pegasus is desperately needed. Hopefully he'll be in Season 5 if he absolutely doesn't appear in Season 4 (things could change between now and when the Season 4 episodes premier; after all, the season will probably end around April/May of 2014, a long time away). Alternatively, I hope they'll introduce a different male Pegasus with a strong presence, maybe a semi-recurring character like Shining Armor. I haven't seen EQG yet, but I hope they do flesh out Sentry's character more if they include him in FiM/ a potential EQG show, since those who have seen it said there wasn't much to his character.

• Brohoof 2

I guess we only know about him and their sudden relationship from the movie, but not from the show at all. They might include him in the show to elaborate more on Flash Sentry if they get the chance.

Uncle? What uncle? Her Dad may have been a guard too for all we know when he was younger. I do agree that being so close to Shining Armor would prime her for at least being comfortable with the guards. We also saw that at least one guard, in Lesson Zero maybe?, knew her personally or at least knew her as SA little sister.

Remember in "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1," when fake Cadance tells SA to stop wearing his uniform? His response was that it was his "favorite uncle's." At 0:43:

http://youtu.be/xLuFwmHwvXE

• Brohoof 1

So wait I'm confused is there going to be a Equestria Girls TV show? or just the movie? I thought it was only going to be the movie and not any TV version.

Hasbro made the movie for a new line of toys.  Concidering their history, it is very likely that there will be a TV show to keep the line moving.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

If Flash Sentry's anything like Shining Armor--a stallion who Twilight has always admired--then it's not unreasonable for Twilight to fall for someone similar.

That is exactly who he reminds me of and not just because his pony version is a guard and also does bring up an interesting point. There have been interesting studies done on both men and women that reveal that if men have good relationships with their mothers that they can on subconscious level recognize traits similar to their mothers as attractive without even realizing that that is in fact a reason and the same goes for women who had good relationships with their fathers.

With this information it is reasonable to say that it is likely this can happen with other relatives someone is close to which in this case is Twilight's older brother, we don't know much about her father but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shining Armor had some things in common with him.I have noticed this with myself as well, I have a close relationship with my Mother and actually realize that many of the traits I myself find attractive in women are also traits that are present in her as well but there are also some traits not present in my Mother which I also find attractive in women as well so that is course not the only influence.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

If it goes mainstream into Season 4 somehow, it will be total chaos in the mlp fandom. You will have one side who opposes to all hell what is going on and another that doesn't mind it. I have already seen a few groups on other sites pop up  just because they fear of it happening and want to protect Twilight's dignity(I saw one with a bit of a legit argument). An announcement is one thing but putting that announcement into season 4? May Celestia watch over those who take the heat from each side. 

Edited by Rainbows R Metal

I'm not opposed to canon shipping, but I fully admit my reasons for enjoying this are kind of shitty.  I was really enjoying watching people on /mlp/ have meltdowns and go through the stages of grief over their waifu crushing on someone.  Realistically, I don't think it's bad to have characters with romantic feelings for other characters, that's a part of everyone's life, especially for younger girls that are going to have to start dealing with that in a few years if they aren't already, but if the show just became about the mane 6 relentlessly pursuing boys, I think Lauren Faust would die on the inside

• Brohoof 4

but if the show just became about the mane 6 relentlessly pursuing boys, I think Lauren Faust would die on the inside

Exactly. This was why I do not want any romance episodes anytime in the show. The thing with romance (hetro or homo) is that it will have to be 'mature' for the story to work out, otherwise its just annoying and won't really build characters. I just think its cute that Twilight has a small crush on somepony. That way, the fandom can create proper, serious romance while the writers keep doing what they're doing best.

• Brohoof 1

How do I feel about Twilight and Flash Sentry becoming a thing? *twitch* *twitch* *starts loading 10-gauge shotgun* *looks over at a picture of Twilight with a red heart drawn around her before heading out the door*