Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft be backpedaling.

Discordian

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

I know not everyone likes Kotaku but this has been lighting up everyone's wires, not just them.

I was actually concerned that the Xbox One was gonna get more sales when Jimmy Fallon had it on his show and was apparently "pro-Xbox One" but I guess the (really) bad publicity from their online requirements was too much to bear.

I laugh.

Because of this though I may consider getting the Xbox One many years from now and only if they have games I will want that I can't get elsewhere. I'm going Wii-U and PS4 next gen (and 3DS, maybe Vita) for sure.

• Brohoof 8

The thing I just realised is that if they stop supporting the xbox one at any time I can no longer play ANY games that I had on the console.

I still play my N64 and gameboy games from time to time, this would really suck!

What!? No way! I was so sure that Microsoft wouldn't cave in. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the DRM policy they were pushing, I just thought they would be too prideful or too far invested into the plan to back peddle now.

I wonder if they'll be able to bounce back now or if the damage is already done...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Microsoft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4&feature=player_detailpage

I mean, it was so predictable. They couldn't really think that their futile attempt to force Gamers to do what they want them to do would be accepted. They blamed game-developers for the "improvements" of their new console and they were kicked in the butts by Sony. They are simply ridiculous.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 1

I know all companies have their pros and cons but, Microsoft needs to bounce back even though there will still be people that are going to buy the Xbox One even if the name of the console went 359 steps backwards.

Sony burned Microsoft at E3, and Microsoft definitely needed ice for that burn. I could accept their policies but, they definitely went over the top with the policies a bit too much.

• Brohoof 2

The thing I just realised is that if they stop supporting the xbox one at any time I can no longer play ANY games that I had on the console.

I still play my N64 and gameboy games from time to time, this would really suck!

This is why games should be tied to accounts, not consoles. Why a centralized network like Xbox Live exists in the first place. Why Steam, in spite of employing some DRM policies, is still one of the most-used gaming networks for downloadable titles. I don't use Steam (no computer to make use of it) but they do enough to make people want them instead of just restricting them like Microsoft was doing.

• Brohoof 1

This is Microsoft's way of saying, "HOLY S***, BACK THE F*** UP!" 

In all honesty this will only help them get enough to keep the xbox alive. As soon as E3 ended that is the cue that what's done is done, you can do stuff here and there but your rep is ruined. 

post-12867-0-75320000-1371677732.png

• Brohoof 9

They were pretty much screwed the moment their competitors stocks skyrocketed after E3. I won't claim to know anything about the stock market but both Wii-U preorders and Nintendo and Sony's stocks were shown to have shot up so high it's ridiculous. Microsoft's gaming console may be dead in the water long before it hits.

• Brohoof 1

Another source from IGN, for those who don't like Kotaku.

Money talks. Customers = money. Microsoft really had no choice, especially since Sony capitalized on Microsoft's mistakes. For them, it was remove the restrictions and get on Sony's level, or lose their customers and investors. The only way a large corporation like Microsoft will listen is if their income is threatened. 

• Brohoof 3

The official statement right here for y'all.

All I can say is thank God. Some of the damage has inevitably been done, but at least I'm getting a console that actually makes sense and can play the games that I want to play with no restrictions or other bullshit getting in the way of that.

(edited)

Sounds like they enacted plan "we done screwed up and need to kiss some flank before this kills us in a fart of glory."

I'm glad it happened. this let's the market know that pulling this shit in the future isn't going to work. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

My thoughts exactly. It seems Microsoft got too full of themselves and thought that consumers were as stupid as some would have you believe. No. Consumers are like a good boyfriend: We put up with shit because it doesn't really bother us but when you pull something we really don't think is right we will put our foot down and make it known that there are some lines you do not ever wanna cross.

• Brohoof 3

Aaaaand the inevitable has happened much earlier than I have anticipated. I mean, I still don't want an Xbox One and most likely won't ever get one anyway, but it's great that they won't actually go through with the DRM crap. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Aaaaand the inevitable has happened much earlier than I have anticipated. I mean, I still don't want an Xbox One and most likely won't ever get one anyway, but it's great that they won't actually go through with the DRM crap. wink.png

That's what happens when, even after months of online rumors showing how bad things could get, you still stick with it and a month after the console reveal your console looks like the worst PoS in gaming history. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

That's what happens when, even after months of online rumors showing how bad things could get, you still stick with it and a month after the console reveal your console looks like the worst PoS in gaming history. laugh.png

Let's be honest, with all the original restrictions and policies(some still need to be removed, Microsoft), the Xbox One WAS a pos system. Now it's becoming more of a console so that's good. We don't want a market(and fyi I do prefer Sony) that is predominantly ruled by Sony with Microsoft having little to no influence in it. Nintendo is doing their own thing from Microsoft and Sony so that is why I didn't include Nintendo. I love Sony but we all know how a consumer based market works, without competition, who is there to keep the other in line if they got little to no influence?

• Brohoof 1

Tahnkfully, I have been with Sony from the start, and don't have to put up with this s***. Microsoft still has a way to go before they get a good reputation again. Well, just remember what microsoft said, if you don't like it, get a 360! Even then I think the 360 is junk and I have both. The only reason I ever go on it anymore is to watch a video walkthough when I am playing a game on my ps3.

Let's be honest, with all the original restrictions and policies(some still need to be removed, Microsoft), the Xbox One WAS a pos system. Now it's becoming more of a console so that's good. We don't want a market(and fyi I do prefer Sony) that is predominantly ruled by Sony with Microsoft having little to no influence in it. Nintendo is doing their own thing from Microsoft and Sony so that is why I didn't include Nintendo. I love Sony but we all know how a consumer based market works, without competition, who is there to keep the other in line if they got little to no influence?

The thing is, the Xbone actually  has a lot of pretty amazing technologies in it but they were doing a lot of bad things with it that overshadowed any good it had. The ability to switch between games instantly without losing progress is a huge plus.

Personally I don't lend any loyalty to brand names. I go where the games are and Nintendo still has more games, especially on the handhelds, than either of the other companies for the coming generation but that's just my opinion. 

(edited)

Tahnkfully, I have been with Sony from the start, and don't have to put up with this s***. Microsoft still has a way to go before they get a good reputation again. Well, just remember what microsoft said, if you don't like it, get a 360! Even then I think the 360 is junk and I have both. The only reason I ever go on it anymore is to watch a video walkthough when I am playing a game on my ps3.

That's going to be a big thing that hurt them, Don basically said you can go f*** yourself. Now they are saying these good news but no real apology and I bet you some don't even want one. That will hurt a decent amount from caring to hear any news from them so that goes back to my previous post stating about how they are pretty much ruined in terms of public image.

The thing is, the Xbone actually  has a lot of pretty amazing technologies in it but they were doing a lot of bad things with it that overshadowed any good it had. The ability to switch between games instantly without losing progress is a huge plus.

Personally I don't lend any loyalty to brand names. I go where the games are and Nintendo still has more games, especially on the handhelds, than either of the other companies for the coming generation but that's just my opinion. 

And that is an important thing, you can have ALL of these cool things but if you put a bunch of bs restrictions and stuff on it, why does it matter?  Grant now these cool features will shine more to those who know about this news but what about the rest? I am not per say a fanboy but do have preferences. I do respect and acknowledge other competition though. 

I do respect what you say, I really do. With Nintendo though and this goes back to them doing their own thing, they got a strong handheld market but their console portion eeeeh, it's definitely got games but considering how the Wii disappointed many people and since next gen. Playstation and Xbox is just around the corner, it's getting overshadowed. I do plan on picking up a Wii U eventually though. 

Edited by Rainbows R Metal
  • Brohoof 1

It's aaaaaaaaaaaaall about the games. It don't matter what hardware, software or networking stuff it has. If there's games to be had, I'll want it. The Xbone is the exception to this but for good reason.

Does anyone know if Installs are still mandatory? Because if they still have that 500gb harddrive, then it'll still be quite a nuicense for space

Try telling that to some PC player, they will not give a s*** about what you said though it's the cold hard truth.

I play on PC because it has games I like.
I play the PS3 because it has games I like.
I play Nintendo consoles because it has games I like

Meanwhile certain PC players...

"Hardware is s***, don't buy." 

But overall you are correct on many levels. 

• Brohoof 3

That's going to be a big thing that hurt them, Don basically said you can go f*** yourself. Now they are saying these good news but no real apology and I bet you some don't even want one. That will hurt a decent amount from caring to hear any news from them so that goes back to my previous post stating about how they are pretty much ruined in terms of public image.

And that is an important thing, you can have ALL of these cool things but if you put a bunch of bs restrictions and stuff on it, why does it matter?  Grant now these cool features will shine more to those who know about this news but what about the rest? I am not per say a fanboy but do have preferences. I do respect and acknowledge other competition though. 

I do respect what you say, I really do. With Nintendo though and this goes back to them doing their own thing, they got a strong handheld market but their console portion eeeeh, it's definitely got games but considering how the Wii disappointed many people and since next gen. Playstation and Xbox is just around the corner, it's getting overshadowed. I do plan on picking up a Wii U eventually though. 

Before I even saw the X-Box one, I had a low opion on Microsoft's work/consoles. After what they have done this go around though, I don't want an apology, I have had enough of their bs as is, but, as you said, after basically telling the customers to go f themselves, I am just done.

(edited)

Does anyone know if Installs are still mandatory? Because if they still have that 500gb harddrive, then it'll still be quite a nuicense for space

I am pretty sure they nixed that as well, mostly because they stated you have to have the disc in the drive to play. This would suggest that it is not mandatory to install.

Basically with this announcement, they said they're going to stay with the system that the xbox 360 already has.

Edit:

Nvmd what I said, Ign just released this article. I you scroll down a bit, it clarifies that you will still need to install games to the hard drive. However, I feel it provided good points as to why this isn't a bad thing.

Edited by The Pulse

It's aaaaaaaaaaaaall about the games. It don't matter what hardware, software or networking stuff it has. If there's games to be had, I'll want it. The Xbone is the exception to this but for good reason.

Yeah, I don't see much I want for it either save for Metal Gear Solid 5 which is going to be elsewhere anyway, along with any other third party game which I would probably get for PS4 if/when I get one, and when it comes to first party lineups the only company I really care about in that regard is Nintendo, MS basically has zilch for first party save for Halo imo.

Speaking purely for myself, I don't buy used games unless they're out of print, and I don't sell them either - it's too satisfying to line my collection up on the living room shelf. A digital-first distribution model eliminates the out-of-print issue, and not being able to resell the games wouldn't affect me anyway; I'm pretty used to it on Steam by now.

Digital-first software distribution models aren't anything new, for that matter: the iOS App Store and Steam are two highly successful examples of such a model, and it does come with certain advantages: games tied to an account can still be recovered in the event that you lose the hardware or the media they came on.

Personally, I didn't find myself leaning too far one way or the other with Microsoft's original plans for the Xbox One to require always-on Internet and impose strict DRM on the games because I would've loved to see them make it work. If their vision for an always-connected console where games are tied to people, not discs, proved successful, there's no doubt that, while it would close a few doors we're very accustomed to as gamers (like sharing a disc with friends), it would open many new ones, and pave the way for a unique user experience.

While coming out with a paradigm shift for game distribution turned into a PR disaster for Microsoft, backpedaling on the decision after it's been made and researched for months on end only shows they didn't have all that much faith in the decision to begin with, which I find a bit saddening. The Xbox One had the opportunity to offer a unique digital-first experience, but now it looks like we're due for yet another episode of "Sony vs. Microsoft: Battle of the Exclusives".

It's reasonable to expect that, if Microsoft were to stop supporting the Xbox One under their original DRM model, they would release a patch to remove it. Companies have modified and sometimes removed the DRM on games post-release before; it's possible.

• Brohoof 1