Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What character fascinates you the most?

King Tryndamere

For me, it's Aoko Aozaki from Melty Blood. I haven't read much about her, but I know that she's a witch, and she has a major role in one or more games. Listening to her encounter theme, she seems to me like someone who is worthy of great respect for some reason.

• Brohoof 1

Batman, from everything, Prince Zuko, from Avatar the last Airbender, and Severus Snape, from Harry Potter.

Batman can be done so many ways, and has been in so many reboots and adaptions that it's impossible not to find an adaption you like. I love his backstory, and how it shaped and evolved him, and how he constantly walks that grey line between good and evil. How many times do you think he woke up in a cold sweat at night, flashing back to his childhood memories? And how often do you think he thought to himself, I would be doing the world a favor if I just killed this person. And yet he doesn't. His rigid moral code and ethical compass has always fascinated me.

Prince Zuko is just an all around amazing character. Definitely in my Top 5 favorite characters of all time. Again, his backstory and guilt had very much shaped who he is and what he's going to be, and his temper and drive only serve to further his development. Thankfully, he has his Uncle to balance him out, otherwise all that anger could simply explode within him, and we'd see him become a mini version of his father. But because of his sister and his confusion over what is socially accepted and what is morally right, it's shaped him into such a beautiful, flawed, rounded character.

Snape...Wow. Snape. I could go on all day about this guy. I love it because the character Rowling told us for seven straight books was incapable of love - the character who went out of his way to hate and resist the affection of others - turned out to be the person who loved more deeply and powerfully than anyone else in the whole dang series. I just love picking him apart, analyzing him and wishing we could have seen more of what he went through.

• Brohoof 6

Azula fascinates me a lot due to the fact of how badly she goes insane by the end of the series. I am reading "The Search" which goes into further detail of why she goes insane along with what happened to Zuko's mother.

Of course Discord fascinates me because I love his delicious view of chaos...

but one that I cannot get enough of is Vaas from FarCry3. It's been quite some time since I was introduced to such a fascinating villain in a video game but he is by far one of my favorites. I just want to hang out with him and hear him talk.

• Brohoof 4

Jimmy McNulty from The Wire.  Perhaps the most brilliantly written character in television history.  He's an incredibly talented detective who's also self-destructive, alcoholic, arrogant as all hell, reflexively defiant of authority that he deems illegitimate and a thousand other things.  He's a jerk who solves cases to prove his intellectual superiority to others, but at the same time genuinely cares about doing "the right thing", even if he can't get out of his own way and stop doing bad things himself.  This "most fascinating" thing could also be applied to probably at least a dozen other characters from that show.  It will never be equaled

Kabuto Yakushi from Naruto. I just have to say it, he is HOT!!! I'm such a fan girl for him... 

960235_372663576188358_200742812_n1.jpg

Also, I really like Firefly..she is best pony.

tumblr_m2k247f2Kc1r2rwxlo3_r1_1280.png

Firefly was going to be in FIM but Hasbro does not own the rights to her anymore.... Same with the rest of the original mane 6...

Firefly was going to be in FIM but Hasbro does not own the rights to her anymore

Wasn't Rainbow Dash based off Firefly?  Obviously there was a Rainbow Dash before that, the "RAINBOW DASH ALWAYS DRESSES IN STYLE" G3.5 horrorshow, but I thought the "new" Dash was supposedly based on her 

breakfast-at-tiffanys.jpg

Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Is she even possible as a character? A lot of people still don't think so. And yet she was engaging and sympathetic to a wide-scale audience from the moment the movie started. To be honest with you, I can't easily critique the character of Holly Golightly vs. Hepburn's portrayal of her, but there's never been anyone like her - or, at least, to the same "level" - on film since. An icon of something not so easily defined, perhaps.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

One character that I can think of at the moment was Teridax from Bionicle for being quite possibly one of the best examples of villainy in general (in my opinion) and especially for a story based on a toy line. To recap he successfully manages to plan ahead for everything using destiny and it's outcomes in his favor, even his defeats were planned (both directly stated by him and that his defeats caused circumstances that allowed him to accomplish his plans). He also got away with 2 genocides successfully for the most part and above all else, he succeeded by having the heroes achieve their destiny and usurps the Bionicle equivalent of god. Sure he is eventually defeated (rather suddenly given the unexpected cancellation of the series), but this was for a toy line for ages 6-16, and is one of my favorite childhood villains.

I thought I could think of more, perhaps later.

Edited by The Oneiromancer

Batman:

This person is fascinating. I love the argument about whether his decision to not kill is right or wrong and his past life is so interesting. His reasons are so fascinating and he's so unique which is why he is my favorite superhero.

Severus Snape:

You never know who's side this guy is on throughout the entire series and his backstory is so interesting. His life was unfair and the only love he had was taken from him, and to see the child of the one he loved and be reminded of what happened is so tragic and interesting. 

The Joker:

The Joker is a fascinating character because of what he's like. He isn't looking for money nor power. He just wants to tip Batman over the edge and have him kill someone. He just wants to see someone crumble.

• Brohoof 3

From FiM: Spike. He's the lone male in a predominately female cast of main characters, an orphan raised by a completely different species from his own, who's focus on love and harmony clash with biological inclination for greed and isolation, creating an identity crisis that has developed a growing fixation on honor and chivalry.

And he has a crush on a unicorn, to top it all off.

From non-FiM: Frollo. Making a character conflicted always makes them interesting (unless it's done badly, of course), but to this scale and to that extreme? As fascinating as a villain can get.

• Brohoof 4

Batman: The ''no kill'' rule is what fascinates me since, when his parents were murdered he did not want to end up like those criminals. So he decided not to kill any villain that he comes in contact with.

Naruto: A ninja who never backs down a from a fight and will fight to the end of the battle, but when it came to bringing Sasuke back to the Leaf he would still fight for him even if Sasuke didn't want him to.

Joker: A clown who was once a civilian until he was knocked into a vat of chemicals in which it bleached his skin, turned his hair green, and his lips red. We usually never knew about his background but, he will always be there to try to push Batman over the edge.

• Brohoof 2

Death the Kid:

I like how his symmetry OCD could kill him if he doesn't find a way around it. Also, the fact that he can act competitive; beat someone and then move on like it was nothing. Plus, I love his design and how the stripes in his hair drive him crazy.

Death_the_Kid.jpeg

Grell Sutcliff:

I just love how he's this type of character that gets to act crazy and random at different times. His design was well-made in my opinion. I also like how he's seemingly gay; with his love toward Sebastian; I haven't really seen it much in basic animes. I also like how despite all this, he can easily kill someone without stalling; unless it's Sebastian. 

775758-grell_sutcliff_by_migi47.jpg

yay.png

(I know a lot of characters but I just wanted to do two of the main ones.)

(edited)

Prince Zuko:

Life really put the dude through the wringer, and I love his drive to recapture the approval of his family, his country, and himself. He's amazingly awkward and fun, and watching him grow throughout the series was a true delight.

Himura Kenshin:

The man went from the most notorious and feared killer in his country to somebody who wouldn't even kill to save his own life. His quest to somehow make up for all of the blood on his hands was very captivating, and he probably has one of the best senses of morality of any character in fiction.

Batman:

Others have explained perfectly.

Rainbow Dash:

I've said a lot about her in the past, but here I'll just say that she seems to embody something about freedom for me. Her willingness to put aside petty things and do what's right when the chips are down, her pursuit of her dreams, and her growth have all fascinated me greatly.

Jaime Lannister (spoilers maybe):

Not necessarily a good guy, but he really wants to be. He did something that most of us would regard as right, but had his entire country treat him as scum for it. He also suffers some amazing inferiority issues after a change in his life, and I love the many sides to him. He went from a character I loathed to one of my favorites.

Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes):

I feel like he embodies something about young boys. This quote from a fanfic says a lot more than I can about him.

"Calvin, you live by your own rules! You make things up! You create! You destroy! You tease temptation! You do all sorts of horrible things, most of them to me, yes, but then there are days you do good all on your own! You shouldn't let something like Karma run your life! You need to be rude and nasty and gross and weird, so that you can be good on your own accord."

There's something genuine about him, even if he can be a little brat.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Coop from Megas XLR: because the shit he does with MEGAS really makes you wonder how the hell he even got the thing to work right, like he's capable of fixing a giant robot, a technological marvel, yet he has the mentality and intelligence of an average 7th grader

Edited by Godot
  • Brohoof 2

Adah from The Poisonwood Bible: I love her unusual way of seeing the world. The way she interprets language is its own shade of brilliant, and I loved her palindromes. She has a unique insight into the people around her, and she sees through them. Her sharp observations made her character so much fun to read about. She also had a lot of painful experience and her unique character made it fascinating to see how she would react. 

Elphaba from Wicked: Elphaba is a character for the outcasts. She's rejected by nearly everyone for her green skin, but she dreams of doing something greater for Oz. She does want acceptance, but even more she wants to do good. Yet she's met with failure from almost every turn, her acts of kindness distorted beyond her control. It's very tragic, but very interesting. 

Linsday from Freaks and Geeks: She's fresh in my mind because I'm currently watching this show, but I think she is one of the best portrayals of a teenager I have seen on television. She captures the uncertainty of those years and the difficult and occasionally stupid decisions teenagers make. She's a person that's looking for herself and trying to figure life out in the face of uncertainty. It's something I can relate to.  

I should probably stop there, before I end up writing a novel on every single character I have ever loved, ever. :P

• Brohoof 4

Wasn't Rainbow Dash based off Firefly?  Obviously there was a Rainbow Dash before that, the "RAINBOW DASH ALWAYS DRESSES IN STYLE" G3.5 horrorshow, but I thought the "new" Dash was supposedly based on her 

There was a weird thing going on with the G1 names, Hasbro basically accidentally sold several of the *names* along with the G1 molds when they were getting rid of them to make room for G2. I'm under the impression they only figured this out when they went to re-use the names for G3.

Anyway, on topic: MLP: Luna fascinates me, of course. Non MLP: Vimes from Discworld is one that I can't get enough of.

Relius Clover of BlazBlue. If there's two things I like to see in villains, it's manipulation and sheer disregard for ethics. Relius fits both of those qualifications. Arguably inhuman in his ways, this guy experimented on his own family and turned them into soul-powered machines. He just strikes me as particularly interesting, especially his design and interactions.

Dimentio from Super Paper Mario, for much the same reasoning as Relius. What this guy's got going for him is his behind-the-scenes work. No one knew his intentions until the very end, where it was revealed he manipulated everything discreetly. Another one of my fave antagonists.

Cyrus of the Sinnoh Pokemon games. Of all Pokemon antagonists, Cyrus really stuck out to me. His lack of emotion while still being charismatic enough to get an entire organization to follow his orders interests me. It seems kinda counter-intuitive when you think about it, but he did it anyway. Also gotta give this guy SERIOUS points for ambition. He planned big. And nearly succeeded. His ambiguous fate is another thing; you're never quite sure what became of him in Platinum. Overall, a very good character. 

• Brohoof 2

In FiM it's Cloud Chaser she always instantly grabs my attenion when on screen dunno why

Outside of FiM Seifer from final fanasty 8 He's not a good guy or a bad guy and i believe he deserves his own spinoff game much better character then Squall in my opinion

post-16202-0-13665100-1371970090.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Fry.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Fry!? You mean the delivery boy from Futurama?!

Yes I do. For a few reasons, too. For one, he's hot. (I have some weird taste in guys. ._.) His bubbly personality is charming, and how he has his heart set on Leela for the majority of the show is really cute. >w<

What fascinates me about him the most is how he, a low life delivery boy, had the potential (and carried it out) of going to the future. Someone so low could go to a place of wonder and new things...it's hard to explain in words, but it's my opinion. >w<

I doubt many people will know this character, but Rin Tezuka from Katawa Shoujo.

It's hard to explain why Rin fascinates me so much. She mostly intrigues me because she shares numerous uncanny similarities with me. It's quite shocking, really.

In FiM, Rarity.  No surprise she's my favorite character, but really, look at what kind of character they made her into given the really limited, two dimensional stereotypes that you'd usually see from the beautiful fashionista type.  They'd either be a Diamond Tiara type bully, or a total airhead.  Either way, they probably never worked a day in their lives. But no, they make her an artist who works hard at her craft (I'd say only Applejack tops her in pure diligence) and is generally kind and thoughtful.  And what fascinates me the most is that she is at the same time *vain* and *generous*.  You'd think that these two qualities don't go together, but they do- wanting the best for yourself doesn't exclude wanting the best for others too.

Non-FiM, Olivier Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist. 

Ice-Queen-olivier-mira-armstrong-1810283

Probably one of the more morally gray characters on the protagonists' side in any shonen anime or manga.  In fact, she is one of the rare shonen "good guys" who has no issue with committing *murder*, not just killing in combat.  And yet you don't question that she's someone you can trust, as defending the country and looking out for her troops are her *only* priorities.  She's trained her troops so well that she knows that even though they are loyal to her, they will still stand strong even if she is compromised- making her troops the most steadfast company of soldiers and *impossible* to negotiate with or use her has some kind of hostage.  She is very proud, but she also so *strongly* believes in "survival of the fittest" that she would accept her *own* death because it means she was not strong enough to live. 

And even though she's willing to commit murder, she is actually very principled. She views people who would sacrifice others, especially innocent lives, for their own gain as cowards.  

• Brohoof 2

I'd say NiGHTS from NiGHTS Into Dreams and Journey of Dreams, or Scootaloo.

NiGHTS because she's such a rebel, yet she was created by the God of Nightmares himself. She was not a child of his, with her own mind, she was a creation, a being of his. Yet still she was somehow able to resist him, and be her own being, and spirit. If she could, why not Reala? I also find her carefree personality amazing due to her past and her predicament.

Scootaloo because we know almost nothing about her past, where she came from, why she's the way she is, but we know so much about her personality. It amazes me that someone with no clear role model or even relative for that matter can be so happy. I want to know more about her past, yet it doesn't matter because she is who she is.

in FiM i think scootaloo, since nobody really knows about her family and whatnot.

but the character that facinates me most must be nolan stross from dead space 2.

i know they tell you a ton of backstory about this guy in the two dead space movies, and in the game itself. but they never tell the intire story.

(edited)

MLP:

Rainbow Dash:

The Sonic Rainboom. How?

Non-MLP:

The Destroyer.

img-1588226-1-cN9AVQx.png

*This is a GIANT spoiler alert, do not read if you haven't gotten to the ending yet*

This thing all of the sudden pops out of the vault and KILLS Commandant Steele and her Crimson Lance? Wow.

Edited by Rainbow P.F. Sparkle

• 3 weeks later...

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac- his thought process is just absolutely profound and very well put.

Raven from Teen Titans because of her control over her mind related to her abilities to use her powers...gosh I love Raven.