Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I in the minority?

DITR

Am I the only one who generally doesn't enjoy brony music? I've heard time and time again that the music is the best part of the fandom but I just don't see it. Especially when something as bland and repetitive as ":Dubstep Dishwasher" gets over a million hits. The only songs I enjoy are No Strings Attatched: Octavia's battle theme and I Will RIse. Anyone else out there who shares my opinion?

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

you may be in the minority on this one, but if you are, embrace it! we all have our particular tastes, and its nice to see that you don't just follow the crowd. that being said, i love a ton of brony music.. the thing is that "brony music" is more of a label than a genre. there's brony metal, brony instrumental, brony electronic, brony rap, etc. i even saw some brony country music that wasn't half bad. its hard to lump everything into the same group.

probably my favorite two songs are Lullaby for a Princess and The Moon Rises. ponyphonic is a genius!

i also love all the friendship is witchcraft songs/remixes and enjoy odyssey eurobeat's music. i especially love a majority of tombstone's, glaze's, and mic's original music, and all the collaborations between them.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

I really do not like brony music whatsoever. I swear to god if I see one more dubstep remix with Vinyl Scratch in the background, I'm gonna lose my shit. However, I also come from corners of the fandom where brony music is pretty widely ridiculed, so seeing people that DO like it is a significant change for me. I've had the opposite experience in other words

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I don't like a lot of the harsh dubsteppy stuff.  I like it when the songs are instrumentalized and turned into 8 bit and such.  I really like the song Join the Herd, and I've also heard one or two pretty sounding songs based on things from the show that were really sweet.  Mostly though, I prefer the videos and fanfiction to the music.

(edited)

Like with any music, it all depends on the style and/or genre. For me, the simple fact that it's about ponies doesn't guarantee that I'll like it. It also has to appeal to me, well, musically.

Personally, I particularly gravitate to a lot of the EDM/dubstep/chiptune ones. That, and the orchestral pieces as well I tend to really like. A good amount of the other ones don't appeal to me much, but not because of any lack of talent on the artist's part, but just because it's not a genre I'd typically listen to regardless.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually I'm kinda with you on that one. The electronic stuff is mostly to my displeasure and plain acoustics leaves me unimpressed. I like the ones with a bit of theatrics to them though... such as:

Lullaby for a Princess (the part where the organ kicks in is my favorite... PMV helps me appreciate the song)

The Moon Rises

Thy Grace, Queen Chrysalis (reminds me of a demented circus)

You don't need to listen to these songs... but as someone who needs to search to find brony songs she enjoys, I thought maybe I'd spare you some effort. There is quite a range of music out there, so don't turn it all down! I'm sure you'll find stuff you like.

edit: one of the links didn't work okay I cant fix it.. sorry sad.png

Edited by D1SC0RD
  • Brohoof 1

Probably, and I'm right in there with ya. I don't have anything against dubstep or any other dominant forms of electronic music - I'm not one to judge people based on what they like to listen to - but it's not exactly the kind of music I'd put on my iPod. It just bores me. That said, the undeniable fact that this fandom is positively saturated with the stuff kind of irritates me a bit as well.

It's almost like how the video game industry is grossly oversaturated with FPS games. It's like, "Hello? Out of all possible genres in existence, why not give something else a try?" I mean, shit, I'm a thrash metal fiend, but if I wrote/listened to thrash all the time, I'd go positively bonkers.

Variety is your greatest tool, songwriters. For Celestia's sake, use it.

• Brohoof 2

There's plentyful of genres of the fanmade music, saying you don't like Brony music overall seems dumb, so is saying you like all tpes of brony music.

I like AcousticBrony's Music. Dont listen to many others,honestly.

I've listened to Sim Gretina's stuff before and it's okay. I prefer music where you don't take a line from the show, add crappy dubstep, and call it music

• Brohoof 2

I'm not really that into most of the dubstep or electronic stuff, not to say I don't like any of it, but i'm a bit more picky with that type of brony music.

Now I do like stuff from people like Mandopony, and ForestRain, and stuff like that. 

But while you probably are in the minority if you don't really like any of it, don't worry about it, nobody says you had to be a part of the majority :P.

I didn't actually like brony music for a while, but I've started to grow a liking for it, regardless if you don't like it thats fine. We all have different tastes.

I'm still pretty big on Alex S.  He doesn't make pony stuff anymore, but his EP is pretty damn rad on it's own, and the stuff he's releasing aside from that is really good, too.

That said, I prefer the electronic and 8-bit sides of our fandom music.  The metal stuff (with one or two exceptions) just isn't up to my standards of what I like in heavy tunes, but that's just my opinion.

Most brony music is awful. Some of it is okay. And a very very small percentage of it is good, and most of that was from when MLP first became a thing. Some current brony music is good. For example, I really dig "A Tropical Octav3." Most of it is crap though.

I also really liked "A tropical Octav3" I think my biggest problem with brony music though is the lack of variety, most of it is just dubstep

(edited)

Tell you the truth I like a lot of the brony music, its damn good a lot of the time, sure there are a few songs I don't care for but I don't really hate all of it... like so many have said before me. just need to find the right pony doing  the music or I guess artist.

Edited by xPrincess Lunax
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if classifying brony music as a 'genre' is really doing much good for it, because it means that one horrendous track sets an example on all the rest, whether they be decent or not. Some of it...of course I'm not that keen on because I'm not into a particular genre it is based around (e.g dubstep), but that doesn't mean something in the Acoustic or even EDM segments should be ignored.

Yes, but being a minority is not a bad thing at all. I'm pretty sure there aren't any clones, correct? Assuming that, everyone is different indeed so therefore differences don't matter.

I agree, most brony music is not in my taste. There are only three brony songs that I like, and that's coming from someone who has 30+ GB of music in their computer.

There's plentyful of genres of the fanmade music, saying you don't like Brony music overall seems dumb, so is saying you like all tpes of brony music.

No, I don't think it's dumb actually.

(edited)

Trouble is, the statement doesn't stand well when someone asks why you might not like any brony music, because chances are there will something under the sun that doesn't have whatever you don't like. To me it just doesn't make much sense, especially if you have just based your opinion solely on the likes of Tombstone and Toaster for instance (no disrespect for those artists, just making a point here).

I'll admit, I don't care for most fan-music but there's always a niche that satisfies your tastes.

Edited by Paspie

Ironically, I dislike a majority of brony music simply because it's usually amatuer trash, Here and there are a good handful of great songs by great musicians, but way to little around. If y'all are scoopin what I'm poopin.

My friend showed me some brony created stuff and to me it was..... generic.  It wasn't really music I'd say stood on it's own it was just a rehash of popular genres put to pony lyrics or with audio bits from songs from the show.  But I didn't hear too much, and I HAVE heard stuff I like, I'm reeeally digging what butterfly posted that track is SWEET.  

Well,if you're in the minority,then so am I.I usually don't like most MLP-inspired music since the lot of them is mostly just dubstep where the wubeth increases in volume.Then some of the other brony-made songs,like...Octavia's Battle Theme or whatever it's called,for example,is just plain bad.

I do like a few here and there,mainly the Fighting is Magic themes and PinkiePieSwear's stuff,but other than those few,I honestly think most brony-made songs are...rather uninspired.

(edited)

There's a whole load of "Brony" music I dislike, and a whole load that do like. You know, kinda like with music in general. There's a ton of stuff out there, so I don't think it's really fair to say that it's all bad. Then again, I guess it helps that I'm into a lot of different styles and have a complete disregard for genres.

I've been listening to LookOutLondon a lot recently. Good stuff.

Edited by Hansel

I love Brony music, or anything creative that anyone does with anything they are interested in. I'm not a fan of heavy metal or rap, but still admire those who create because it's their way of expressing their interest and it should be respected as such. I admire anyone who has the courage to create and then post it. They put themselves out there and on the line,, at risk of criticism which on the net, can get nasty, and they can be proud of their work whether it's deemed good or bad by others.

I don't do music, but i do make fan vids and I create art. Not everyone is going to like my stuff but i do it first and foremost for myself. If others like it.... great. If others don't like it.... Oh well!

No one is ever going to like every single piece of music or art out there. There will always be annoying and repetitive ones that you don't like. Just click off them and go somewhere else more to your taste.

Mikestar

• Brohoof 1