Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

(edited)

Got through more of it currently:

Twilight is probably the blandest character to me in season 4.

I feel AJ has some of the stronger focused S4 episodes personally (even if I don't particularly care much about her as a character).

Twilicorn I have no real strong feelings about for or against it (though I felt the execution was absolutely terrible).

Going through 4 seasons and I find all of the two-parters quite lame so far.

Edited by Demon Eyes
  • Brohoof 1

The Crystalling is one of the better two-parters of the series. It had a conflict that couldn't be fixed by blasting it with a rainbow, Celestia and Luna were actively doing something instead of manipulating Twilight and the resolution was great because it took someone outside of the Mane Six to find the solution.

Not a fan of Diamond Tiara. I'll never forget when she mocked an effectively disabled pony.

• Brohoof 3

On 3/7/2018 at 5:11 PM, heavens-champion said:

Twilight is not a lousy princess. She is simply not perfect.

She doesn't have to be perfect, but she's isn't really effective... at all.

• Rather than singing its absolute praises, I'm actually concerned about the existence of "Amending Fences". As someone who has been guilt tripped for not being around for a part of someone's life for some reason or another (bearing in mind that I often was unaware of such an occurrence, or I was busy, or I had something personal going on at the time), I fear that this episode will give people justification for vilifying people who don't deserve vilification, and leading to unhealthy expectations in friendships. Certainly the episode is poignant, but the implication that Twilight must be guilty concerns me.
  • "Tanks for the Memories" is reprehensible. I get that it's supposed to be an allegory for the Five Stages of Grief, but they couldn't have chosen a worse pony to do it with. If Tank was actually dying, this episode would be as great as people make it out to be - but simply put, he's not, and that's what sabotages the entire episode. Rainbow has routinely been shown to be a more down-to-earth pony, and although she's done embarrassing and outlandish things for the sake of earning attention, that's because Rainbow thrives off of receiving attention. Her reaction in this episode does not fall in line with previous depictions of her. Even if it did, it kind of vindicates those who don't like her.
  • Rainbow's boasting in "Campfire Tales" didn't bother me. In fact, I think people exaggerate how often she does it (and also don't realize that part of the reason she does it is to impress Scootaloo and make a point to her; if you pay attention to Scootaloo's reactions, you can tell Rainbow's egotism does actually seem to help calm her down). Actually, I think a lot of aspects of this episode are down-played and not really appreciated.
  • Not a big fan of "Fame & Misfortune", and the intolerant attitudes of those who do like it toward critics kind of vindicates why.
  • Don't think this is rather an unpopular opinion (probably not) but i am so glad that scootabuse is finally dead
  • Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, Scootaloved said:

Actually, I think a lot of aspects of this episode are down-played and not really appreciated.

Well, it's a very downplayed episode. Either you're into that or you're not. 

40 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Well, it's a very downplayed episode. Either you're into that or you're not. 

It's definitely one of the less "epic" episodes, but I do think it had just as much attention and care put into it. It was also strange seeing a lot of complaints for the episode regarding not being able to get into it because of the comic grab; I've never read the comics, but I found it was pretty easy to get the tales that were being told within it.

Edited by Scootaloved
im sick and thus mixed up two words that dont mean the same thing

I enjoy "A Royal Problem" for its insight, humour, and ambition, but that's largely in spite of its massive issues, most notably a somewhat crammed narrative, but also just that I never found the stakes believable, which coloured most of what came afterwards.

Further, while I do find it strange that Celestia doesn't have a special power like Luna does - I mean, the day/night dichotomy is kinda weird when Luna could hypothetically do either - I think some people should be more willing to extrapolate her political responsibilities beyond what a children's show is willing to depict. 

And I don't find it strange at all that Celestia and Luna bickered so much. They're obviously stressed and exhausted. Luna's only been back for a few years at most, so it makes sense that they'd still have their differences. And while it's kinda weird that this is the case, the show's never really suggested that Celestia took over dreams from Luna, so it does make sense that they'd have that misunderstanding. 

Shoulda been a two-parter tho. 

7 minutes ago, Scootaloved said:

It's definitely one of the less "epic" episodes, but I do think it had just as much attention and care put into it. It was also strange seeing a lot of complaints for the episode regarding not being able to get into it because of the comic grab; I've never read the comics, but I found it was pretty easy to get the tales that were being told within it.

I was mostly a little bored by it. I can only presume the comics deepen the characters a little bit, as while watching I merely found the legends kinda generic and uninteresting, and the framing story to be not a whole lot better. Lot of predictable beats, and the understated nature of the character interactions, while a little charming, didn't really do much for me. It all felt a little plain to me, not particularly funny or insightful. 

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I was mostly a little bored by it. I can only presume the comics deepen the characters a little bit, as while watching I merely found the legends kinda generic and uninteresting, and the framing story to be not a whole lot better. Lot of predictable beats, and the understated nature of the character interactions, while a little charming, didn't really do much for me. It all felt a little plain to me, not particularly funny or insightful. 

Huh, not even the one with Mistmane? Fair enough, I suppose; different strokes for different folks.

At least it is acknowledged that there are charming aspects of the character interactions. For me personally, it was nice to see how Rainbow and Scootaloo grew together, and witnessing Rainbow take the cool big sis role so fervently.

Also: while I do feel Celestia could be utilized much better in the show, I don’t think it implies she’s weak. In truth, all of the princesses - even Luna - could use more well-rounded appearances. 

4 minutes ago, Scootaloved said:

Huh, not even the one with Mistmane? Fair enough, I suppose; different strokes for different folks.

At least it is acknowledged that there are charming aspects of the character interactions. For me personally, it was nice to see how Rainbow and Scootaloo grew together, and witnessing Rainbow take the cool big sis role so fervently.

That one was more distinct, but I still found the characters kinda dull and the setting kinda unimaginative. 

I kinda felt that Scootaloo’s fears were weirdly exaggerated since last time we saw them, and got bored with Rainbow’s boasting, but I did see charm in their interactions.

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Also: while I do feel Celestia could be utilized much better in the show, I don’t think it implies she’s weak. In truth, all of the princesses - even Luna - could use more well-rounded appearances. 

That one was more distinct, but I still found the characters kinda dull and the setting kinda unimaginative. 

I kinda felt that Scootaloo’s fears were weirdly exaggerated since last time we saw them, and got bored with Rainbow’s boasting, but I did see charm in their interactions.

The reason Campfire Tales isn't in my favorites of the season is because of how overblown the Scootaloo fears were tbh, she kind of learned to be less scared last time, her being a little freaked here and there would have been cute, but it was ridiculous how even a more tame story freaked her out so much.

• Brohoof 2

I’m on a roll here, so: I don’t care if Twilight is bad at being a princess because her failures keep her relatable. It’s one of the things which makes the way she became a princess not entirely ruinous for me. 

• Brohoof 3

On 3/6/2018 at 3:53 PM, PathfinderCS said:

Unless we have actual proof; please don't state that as fact.

And let's keep this on topic people.

Specially having a book stating she DOES have parents, but is mostly taken care off by her lesbian aunts :dash:

Most of Nightmare Moon's guards are bat poneh

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Well, let’s be honest, it’s not so much what the writer puts into a story, as much as what the reader can take out of it. Like that story about Ernest Hemingway, who supposedly bet ten dollars he could write an entire story in six words.

(For Sale: Baby Shoes, Never Worn)

Starting season 6 now:

I think Season 5 is the best season.

AJ is the best character in season 5 to me.

"The Man Attraction" is the third best episode so far to me behind "The Last Roundup" and "Dog and Pony Show".

Twilight and Fluttershy is the most boring combination for a pairing episode to me.

I'm still very meh on Diamond Tiara despite her reform. It makes her a better character, but it was pretty sudden and only really a mentioned first in the episode she reforms. Episode was good overall though.

-i didn't mind and was kind of hoping for Flurry Heart to be a thing even before the reveal that Cadence was pregnant

-Cadence is more than just merchandise

-Applejack is the best mane 6

-Luna had the better opinion about how to handle Sombra

On 3/13/2018 at 12:41 AM, Wolfhog said:
  •  
  • Rainbow's boasting in "Campfire Tales" didn't bother me. In fact, I think people exaggerate how often she does it (and also don't realize that part of the reason she does it is to impress Scootaloo and make a point to her; if you pay attention to Scootaloo's reactions, you can tell Rainbow's egotism does actually seem to help calm her down). Actually, I think a lot of aspects of this episode are down-played and not really appreciated.

Oh my god finally someone who gets it

... that it isn’t that good.

It’s entertaining and refreshing in a world of god-awful children’s animated television shows, and does have an attractive art and animation style, but if this is what you consider top-tier television then you should probably get your mind right. Opinions are opinions but there are far too many stellar tv shows out there... the best part of the whole brony thing was/is the community and the devotion and care that it possesses. 

On 3/24/2018 at 7:51 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

I like Equestria Girls Rainbow Dash more than Pony Rainbow Dash. 

Really, aside from Rainbow Rocks she seems much nicer as a human. Even I'll admit that.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, bluseymoe said:

Really, aside from Rainbow Rocks she seems much nicer as a human. Even I'll admit that.

I hope y'all don't mind if I add on to this, but may I say that I've noticed EG Dash is more like Seasons 1-3 Dash?