Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

(edited)
5 hours ago, Scootaloved said:

Cruel pranks - No excuse on that one. Speaking as a Rainbow fan, I hated how she was characterized in that episode, too.

Honestly unfair to judge her from that considering the damn episode felt like it deliberately bastardized her character for the sake of its stupid zombies 

Edited by Alvin Yakitori
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Even though people have claimed that Rainbow was annoying or obnoxious, or even flanderized in Rainbow Rocks, I never thought she was all that bad there.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

The name Muffins has a lot more pleasant vibe to it than Derpy. I will never understand why people hate the new name so much.

1 hour ago, Jaspers said:

The name Muffins has a lot more pleasant vibe to it than Derpy. I will never understand why people hate the new name so much.

It *is* a nicer name, and that is the point. if it had been her original name, then ok, but that it was retconned in to please a politically correct minority doesn't sit well.

Our cross-eyed mare clearly has "issues" (but it's not like half of ponyville, and ALL of the mane 6 don't) but ponyville embraces that; Derpy doesn't have fun made of her, or things thrown at her because she is "different" - she is an accepted and valued part of the community, That is very much part of how Ponyville differs from much of equestria - compare (for example) Scoots' flight disfunction with the abuse Fluttershy got as a filly (despite the fact her wingpower, while low for a pegasus, is good enough in practice) with the only exception being the known-mean Diamond Tiara (who is now redeemed, of course)

Derpy's story is one of acceptance and inclusion; the conflict between what is said and what is done is reversed here, and that's a good thing - Derpy's Derpiness is acknowledged and she is shown as being competent at her day job (in contrast to the mailpony who misdelivers to Fluttershy) in spite of her limitations.  She is part of the herd, and she is loved, and that is all that matters.

• Brohoof 1

I don't care for Pinkie Pie's over the top in your face attitude. She has good intentions and she's a sweet and good person, but her methods are off. 

Interestingly enough several of the characters Pinkie doesn't get along with are those that are less popular in the fandom and I like, namely Cranky and Maud. :maud:

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Cwanky said:

I don't care for Pinkie Pie's over the top in your face attitude. She has good intentions and she's a sweet and good person, but her methods are off. 

Interestingly enough several of the characters Pinkie doesn't get along with are those that are less popular in the fandom and I like, namely Cranky and Maud. :maud:

Understandable; many bronies have said that Pinkie in S1 was just irritating, and they had to learn to like (if not love) her in later seasons. I think part of that is that she has rather rigid opinions on what is "fun" and tries to shoehorn those into other pony lives; Secrets and Pies and of course pretty much ANY Maud episode are clearly exploring this side of her though, so perhaps she CAN learn...

14 minutes ago, CoffeeHoof said:

She is part of the herd, and she is loved, and that is all that matters.

That's all true and a generally good post. :grin: My issue with the name Derpy is just that it kind of has the same kind of vibe to it as calling a person with glasses "four-eyes" for example. Or a person with a lisp "lispy". It probably makes no sense but that's just my two cents on it.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

That's all true and a generally good post. :grin: My issue with the name Derpy is just that it kind of has the same kind of vibe to it as calling a person with glasses "four-eyes" for example. Or a person with a lisp "lispy". It probably makes no sense but that's just my two cents on it.

Indeed. But the key is really context; Derpy's name is used without rancor, if sometimes a little exasperation, and many otherwise negative terms can be used affectionately.  There is a lot of difference between using something because it is descriptive (of a negative trait) and using it as an insult, after all.

5 minutes ago, Princess Panzy said:

In 28 Pranks Later, I found Pinkie Pie and the townsponies to be more dickish than Rainbow Dash.

I think that was the point though. In order to get though to Dashie just how dickish she was being on a regular basis, they blasted her with concentrated dickishness.  Pinkie already knows the difference between a good prank and just being abusive - look at her refusal to prank Fluttershy, for example - but Dashie was refusing to learn by example.

Edited by CoffeeHoof
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
16 minutes ago, CoffeeHoof said:

I think that was the point though. In order to get though to Dashie just how dickish she was being on a regular basis, they blasted her with concentrated dickishness.  Pinkie already knows the difference between a good prank and just being abusive - look at her refusal to prank Fluttershy, for example - but Dashie was refusing to learn by example.

Regarding the fact that the Mane 6 were the ones who started the conflict by calling RD's pranking of Fluttershy 'lazy.'

Rainbow Dash's pranks were mostly harmless and she pranked them when they were alone. Pinkie Pie's prank was way worse cause it was psychological trauma and everyone in the town was there to witness it. In addition to scaring her stiff and humiliating her in front of the whole town, they made her think that she had poisoned her closest friends. That type of stuff sticks with a person/pony, and while she laughed it off, who knows what that did to her psyche.

Physical pranks last a few seconds, psychological pranks last for a lifetime.

Edited by Princess Panzy
  • Brohoof 5

- The Perfect Pear is only decent at best.

- Honest Apple and Fluttershy Leans In are some of the best of season 7.

- Season 7 had the worst set of premiere and finale; Celestial Advice and Shadow Play are both awful imo.

- Slice of Life and Crusaders of The Lost Mark are really underwhelming for me.

- While I agree that it was out of place, "A Changeling Can Change" is a pretty decent song.

- Starlight Glimmer has not improved.

- The Crystal Empire is great and over hated. It’s my second favorite premiere behind The Return Of Harmony.

And these are just a few.

Edited by BlackPony
Wanted to add an extra opinion.
  • Brohoof 3

Spike is underrated and not appreciated enough nor expanded upon enough for my taste

I hate how the rest of the dragons save for Ember are presented as dumb, snobbish bullies, including Ember's father

I still don't like Fluttershy. I get the arguments, I've been in discussions, I get the other side, but I personally see no real marked difference in her despite all this time, and she just gets in the way. The fact she or her friends have to be pushed to the near brink for her to do squat is pathetic.

Shadow Play was underwhelming, I agree---and I feel stretching that out would have made a better movie than what they gave us. Or at least a whole season Arc. -__-;

• Brohoof 1

- 28 Pranks later is pretty great.

- A Health of Information was easily the best episode that involved lore in season 7. Didn’t care for the lore in that season otherwise. 

- A Royal Problem was a major let down, especially when it was revealed that Daybreaker was a part of Starlight’s dream and not Celestia’s. 

• Brohoof 2

I understand it's a "kid's show" or at least originally aimed at kids, but we need a progression of growth physically on the ponies, ESPECIALLY SPIKE. We need to see some age... some experience from these characters.

I do not really like the Cutie Mark Crusaders and very often skip entire episodes that centre around them.

I do not like how when trouble arises, these "powerful" Princesses become suddenly "helpless and powerless". I get that Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six ARE the main...er...mane characters here, but COME ON. Show some continuity with the Princesses' abilities, or create stronger villains. Tirek was our last great villian. And there hasn't, HASN'T been one like him since..

Edited by Memento Mori

While I like the idea of School Daze, I feel like this was very poorly written--which is sad, because I was so excited for it! It's not like people were out of character, but because it had the same issues that Power Ponies did: everyone's problems revolved around their strengths. I just feel like it could have been handled better overall. 

As for Mud Briar, I actually like him! I find him pretty relatable. Lots of aspie qualities.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:46 AM, Jaspers said:

It's not hatred, it's the fact that the name had been changed for a more politically correct version. Nobody had a problem with Derpy or Ditzy except easily offended soccer moms.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Starlight Glimmer looks better as a human than she does as a pony.

That's how I feel about Sunset Shimmer. Her pony form does nothing for me honestly, but her human form is just pure sexy.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Derpy sucks, I'm sick of this fandom's extreme boner for background ponies, and the show needs to stop feeding the fandom's ego

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I hate the human versions of them and think they are poorly designed and animated.

While I understand everyone has a favourite, I am so sick of Luna everywhere. In fact it gave me immense satisfaction when in the Episode with Daybreaker, she looks at Luna and says "uh, all that black, we get it your sad." I never laughed so hard in the entire series.

I want Spike to grow up, darn it. At least teenager level, or something, this baby dragon thing has gone on for too long.

I hate Sunset Shimmer. She's pointless, and I despise her. 

Still hate Fluttershy.

I don't like Ember. She's annoying, bossy, rude, b*tchy, and downright pointless.

I liked Thorax better as a Changling.

Edited by Memento Mori
  • Brohoof 1