Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

I love the Changelings when they're being nice. Their new colorful "butterfly" appearance now is just as good as their oldhungry "caterpillar" appearance.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

Time to share S8's unpopular opinions...

- 'School Daze' was a slow start and my least favorite season premiere in FiM.

- I really liked Mudbriar and think he's the perfect match for Maud.

- Goth-shy is my least favorite Fluttershy persona, and the only one I didn't enjoy.

- I found 'Grannies Gone Wild' to be an annoying episode.

- Pinkie Pie was a bit stretched, yet completely in-character during 'Yakity Sax'.

- Sandbar's Hearth's Warming story was hilarious.

- After 'The Washouts', I officially dislike Spitfire.

- I found the manifestation of the tree as Twilight Sparkle to be, although funny, somehow disturbing.

- I hate that an "adult dragon" is about the size of a manticore, those things were supposed to be huge.

- I really don't care a bit about Gallus, the rest of the Student 6 are either funny or endearing, not Gallus.

- Tartarus sub-plot was really boring with the exception of a few jokes such as Pinkie breaking Tirek.

Some new ones:

• Rainbow Dash was an absolute a**hole in "The Washouts." Sure I didn't like Scoots here either, Dashie was worse I think.
  • Applejack was kind of mean to Fluttershy in "Sounds of Silence." I understand the other side here, but I just don't agree.
  • In "Yakity-Sax" Pinkie was not the only of the Mane Six that frustrated me. The reactions of the others did also.
  • I like the rest of the Student Six, but I really could care less for Silverstream with her lack of character development.
  • Aside from the ending, "Horse Play" was a bad episode that doesn't necessarily jive with the rest of the series.
  • "Matter of Principals" was actually fairly decent. Maybe Discord went overboard, but that also helped it in a way.
  • Cozy Glow is one of the worst villains in the entire series. She's painfully generic, and poorly written.
  • School Raze is one of the worst finales in the shows run. Not as bad as "Magical Mystery Cure", but it's still kind of bad.
  • Season 8 in general is down there with Season 3 as one of the worst with it's lack of consistency.

Season 8 / Equestria Girls season 1 update!

• Everything the show's done with Celestia lately is terrific, and I hope they give Luna the same treatment soon. Luna could use some funny moments after that horrible season 5 episode... 
  • While the friendship school is a shaky premise, at this point I feel any sort of gimmick is a net positive, just because it forces the show to try something different at least once in a while. 
  • "Surf and/or Turf" is cute but too fluffy and insubstantial. 
  • Mudbriar isn't the most charming character but his chemistry with Maud is really quite delightful. Anything which makes Maud smile is okay in my books. 
  • Stellar Flare is profoundly irritating. 
  • Autumn Blaze is mildly irritating, though so are Fluttershy and Applejack in that episode. 
  • This season was really good to Starlight Glimmer, and most of her appearances are contenders for the best she's ever been, but I still wish she would stop doing things like trading away Trixie's cart. I hold both opinions. 
  • Not sure how unpopular this is, but I don't know why the mane six hang out with Discord anymore. 
  • "The Mean 6" is one of the best episodes of the past two seasons. 
  • Spike should hang out with the rest of the mane six more. 
  • This show probably isn't a good place for them, but "Yakity-Sax" did have good ideas. 
  • I really don't like the idea that Maud just doesn't tell Pinkie her preferences. 
  • I also really don't like the idea that Rainbow Dash was pushing Scootaloo too hard to be exactly like her. 
  • If Trixie deserved a second chance, so did Lightning Dust. Not reforming her even a little is a wasted opportunity. 
  • I don't feel like "A Rockhoof and a Hard Place" does anything surprising or fresh with its premise. 
  • I find it strange that, after all of these years, Rarity and Rainbow Dash don't have anything they like to do together. (possibly not an unpopular opinion)
  • "Father Knows Beast" is one of the few episodes of this show which has made me cry. It's not so bad.
  • It's entirely not clear to me what is supposed to be more than mildly interesting about "School Raze." 
  • The show still doesn't have enough Cadance. 
  • Online shorts are the perfect format for Equestria Girls, and I've been more satisfied with the shorts than with the longer specials. I'd even argue that the Equestria Girls shorts are more satisfying than Friendship is Magic right now. 
  • "Forgotten Friendship" isn't that great, though it has a lot of moments. 
  • "Rollercoaster of Friendship" is the superior Equestria Girls special. 
  • Sci-Twi is way more interesting when she behaves similarly to Princess Twilight. I don't want these characters to be completely different. 
  • Sunset Shimmer didn't have much of a personality before these shorts and "Rollercoaster of Friendship." That she has anger issues is great because it links her current personality back to her pre-reformation personality. 
  • Sunset's reunion with Celestia was disappointing. 
  • Seriously, though, Equestria Girls rules. 
  • Brohoof 2

Unpopular opinions that other airheads have:

- The show sucks now

- It's for girls

- The new episodes are bad (Honestly, I don't judge for this, but I'm just happy episodes are still made)

- It's too girly and "magical"

• Rainbow Rocks is not a good movie.
  • Daring Do episodes are bland.
  • I don't want to know about Spike's parents.
  • I didn't care if the CMC's get their cutie marks.
  • I liked What About Discord?
  • I liked Sludge.
  • I prefer A Friend in Deed and Too Many Pinkie Pies to Pinkie Pride.
  • I actually liked Applejack's "Day" Off.
  • I think the Wonderbolts are not awesome.
  • Starlight Glimmer is not a well written character.
  • I'm more looking forward to the new EQG shorts than MLP season 9.
  • I think MLP IS for little girls and I like it because of that nature of the show.
  • I don't like On the Road to Friendship.

ps. In this topic, getting more hoofbumps are worse.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

On 10/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:
  • Rainbow Rocks is not a good movie.
  • Daring Do episodes are bland.
  • I don't want to know about Spike's parents.
  • I didn't care if the CMC's get their cutie marks.
  • I liked What About Discord?
  • I liked Sludge.
  • I prefer A Friend in Deed and Too Many Pinkie Pies to Pinkie Pride.
  • I actually liked Applejack's "Day" Off.
  • I think the Wonderbolts are not awesome.
  • Starlight Glimmer is not a well written character.
  • I'm more looking forward to the new EQG shorts than MLP season 9.
  • I think MLP IS for little girls and I like it because of that nature of the show.
  • I don't like On the Road to Friendship.

ps. In this topic, getting more hoofbumps are worse.

I actually agree with the Starlight point to some extent, at least until a number of recent episodes redeemed her slightly to me. Whilst she was incredibly prominent in S7, her character traits were often either inconsistent, detrimental to the episode's thematic points or nonexistent, eventually reaching the extent where she began to feel more like a plot tool/excuse for the writers to focus on a character other than the mane six (I notice that we seem to be receiving a number of those character types lately). Thankfully we have the Student Six now, whose arcs are slightly less directionless/clunkily handled, but S7 Starlight was ultimately one of the reasons that I don't hail S7 as great like a number of fans around here seem to.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

I actually agree with the Starlight point to some extent, at least until a number of recent episodes redeemed her slightly to me. Whilst she was incredibly prominent in S7, her character traits were often either inconsistent, detrimental to the episode's thematic points or nonexistent, eventually reaching the extent where she began to feel more like a plot tool/excuse for the writers to focus on a character other than the mane six (I notice that we seem to be receiving a number of those character types lately). Thankfully we have the Student Six now, whose arcs are slightly less directionless/clunkily handled, but S7 Starlight was ultimately one of the reasons that I don't hail S7 as great like a number of fans around here seem to.

I agree, but just like how I think it would have been better of some episodes if Starlight's role being replaced by Twilight/Spike/Appleajck etc., I aslo think the show should have been focused more on the Mane 6 instead of the students and could have been replaced their roles with the Mane 6. The Mane 6 are more interesting, still has lots to learn (probably until the last days of their lives), and are more useful assets in the show, more capable of making an interesting episode.

I would like to give the student 6 a chance, but A : There aren't enough of Student 6's moments and exposures of their characteristics after all, B : The Mane 6 got less focuses. So as a result, there are more characters, but actually we got less characters.

• Brohoof 1

• Twilight's characterization has been suffering ever since the end of Season 5.
  • The CMC'S cutie mark designs suck, they are way too small and don't make the colors of their body. I wish they got them individually. In Scootaloo's case she should've got her cutie mark in "Flight to the Finish".
  • "Father Knows Beast" is an incredibly stupid episode and just a less "sexist" version of "Dragon Quest". I still don't understand Twilight and Spike don't just ask Celestia where she got his egg.
  • I don't find the Student Six very interesting at all so I hope they have a diminished role in Season 9.
  • Horse Play sucks and I'm convinced now that they shouldn't bother developing the Princesses at this point.
  • I would've much preferred Sunset Shimmer as a recurring character on the show rather than being stuck with Starlight as a bland main character.
Edited by RulesofRarity
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, RulesofRarity said:
  • I would've much preferred Sunset Shimmer as a recurring character on the show rather than being stuck with Starlight as a bland main character.

Wasn't this supposed to be the 'unpopular opinions' topic?

Edit: I must say it is not an opinion I agree with, it's just the most popular reason I've seen that Starlight haters use to bash on her.

Edited by DonMaguz

• 2 months later...

medium.png

I don't like Ocellus all that much. True, I'm bias because best bugs are already Thorax and Pharynx, but Ocellus's two most notable character traits thus far can, and for me do come off as largely generic and overused, especially within this show.

Suffice to say she has the potential to grow on me, and I do like aspects of her personality, but overall she's been very underwhelming by comparison to how the fandom treats her.

• Brohoof 1

-Spike is just an all around bad character (oh wait,  this is UNpopular opinions, my bad)

-show quality started dying start of S3

-once S4 hit, it was a chore to watch

-Pinkie became a one dimensional joke around end of S2

Edited by Jackie Snack

i don't actually know how popular or unpopular it is, but i really liked Diamond Tiara pre-reformation, she had a character, and now she doesn't, she was not someone to follow their example, but she was a great antagonist to the CMC, and a depiction of bullying, a testament that even pony schools aren't a perfect safe-haven, you couldn't relate to her, but many could definitely relate to those she tortured, something that is now gone, even in the new school of friendship, no one seems to be a bully or even antagonistic

• Brohoof 2

- Season 4 was the weakest season. 

- I enjoyed the first EG movie. 

- I don't think Starlight, Spike or anyone else should join the Mane Six in Equestria. 

- Starlight was a MUCH better villain than Chrysalis. 

- Fluttershy has completely lost everything in her personality which made her likable. 

- I don't think Scootalo is an orphan. 

• Brohoof 1

Despite my burning hatred for the show's habit of redeeming all of its villains, I'm annoyed that they didn't choose to redeem Cozy Glow. She's a literal child. If the mane six are so willing to give the likes of Starlight and Discord a second chance, why not give her one too? 

11 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Despite my burning hatred for the show's habit of redeeming all of its villains, I'm annoyed that they didn't choose to redeem Cozy Glow. She's a literal child. If the mane six are so willing to give the likes of Starlight and Discord a second chance, why not give her one too? 

I still don't think Cozy has exhibited any of the things other reformed villains have shown. At least not so far.

Discord had never had a friend before. Cozy had plenty of friends who cared for her at Twi's school.

Starlight never really learned what friendship was and was sorry for what she did. Cozy cackled as she tried to escape and was the ace student at a literal school for friendship.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

No guarantee they won't try; Discord was encased in stone for longer than Luna was banished, but 'tia thought exposure to Fluttershy might reform him, so clearly there isn't a massive rush to reform everypony immediately. so it could be a case of finding the right personality; maybe one of PInkie's sisters?

• Brohoof 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

Seriously, though, Equestria Girls rules. 

I agree 100%!

I think "School Raze" is the most boring season finale we've had so far. :sealed:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Is it a popular opinion to hate on S7's Fame and Misfortune, because if it is, then I have my unpopular opinion regarding it.

I thought Fame and Misfortune was a harsh, but still hopeful look at fanbases that MLP decided to tackle their way. An episode that should exist. Particularly with the fact the fan dumb don't instantly change their minds if ever. And that as long as there are fan/viewers/whatever that can take something worthwhile from the show/ movie/ game/ whatever, I believe the show is doing its job fine, warts and all.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

Discord had never had a friend before. Cozy had plenty of friends who cared for her at Twi's school.

Oh shit, didn't realize not having friends gave you a pass to try and take over the world on three separate occasions. Speaking of Discord trying to take over the world, you are aware of the last time he did so was after he had made a friend, right? Oh, but he gave Celestia some flowers so live and let live I guess. 

Fuck that child though, how dare she try and take over the world once? Off to jail with her. 

Sarcasm aside, the problem is that Cozy is a child and there's a reason that most countries have an age of criminal responsibility.  

14 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

Starlight never really learned what friendship was and was sorry for what she did. Cozy cackled as she tried to escape and was the ace student at a literal school for friendship

But Starlight should have known better. Yeah, so she didn't really know what friendship was but neither did Twilight and she didn't create a cult which did everything from crippling people against their will to utilizing brainwashing to keep people from leaving. 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Oh shit, didn't realize not having friends gave you a pass to try and take over the world on three separate occasions. Speaking of Discord trying to take over the world, you are aware of the last time he did so was after he had made a friend, right? Oh, but he gave Celestia some flowers so live and let live I guess. 

Fuck that child though, how dare she try and take over the world once? Off to jail with her. 

Sarcasm aside, the problem is that Cozy is a child and there's a reason that most countries have an age of criminal responsibility.  

But Starlight should have known better. Yeah, so she didn't really know what friendship was but neither did Twilight and she didn't create a cult which did everything from crippling people against their will to utilizing brainwashing to keep people from leaving. 

My point is I'm not sure what angle you attack Cozy from.

With Discord they had Fluttershy be his friend and he IMMEDIATELY felt so attached to her that he was willing to change his ways just because he risked losing her. When he did betray them, by the time Twilight saw him again he was clearly regretful and sorrowful and felt bad about everything he had done.

With Starlight, once Twilight showed her the consequences of her actions, Starlight not only stopped on her own, but gave herself up to any punishment they wanted to give.

From an emotional standpoint there's something for Twi to grab onto. There's nothing really there for Cozy. She's not attatched to anything. She doesn't care about anyone. She's not sorry. She's not anything. She was all but telling everyone that if they gave her an inch, she would do it all over again.

• Brohoof 6