Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

1 hour ago, gingerninja666 said:

From an emotional standpoint there's something for Twi to grab onto. There's nothing really there for Cozy. She's not attatched to anything. She doesn't care about anyone. She's not sorry. She's not anything. She was all but telling everyone that if they gave her an inch, she would do it all over again.

I'll give you that. There weren't really much or Twilight to "grab onto", but does that really mean Cozy couldn't have been redeemed? I mean, Discord didn't really have much for anyone to "grab onto" either before he got redeemed. Heck, the only reason he was able to form a friendship with Fluttershy in the first place was because he lived there with her whilst being redeemed.  

I'm not saying that the writers should have had her apologize and immediately been forgiven but it would have been nice if there had been some kind of punishment that at least implied they were trying to redeem her. Like, force her to attend extra friendships lesson or something like that.  But nope, it's straight to jail for her.  

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think "School Raze" is the most boring season finale we've had so far. :sealed:

I personally find it a little more entertaining than "The Cutie Re-Mark" and "Shadow Play," but it's possibly the blandest finale yet. 

• Brohoof 3

Cozy Glow is not a very unique villain. You can find characters like that in the Powerpuff Girls (mainly Princess Morbucks), and they usually make more sense in that show's brand of comedy.

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Despite my burning hatred for the show's habit of redeeming all of its villains, I'm annoyed that they didn't choose to redeem Cozy Glow. She's a literal child. If the mane six are so willing to give the likes of Starlight and Discord a second chance, why not give her one too? 

Probably has something to do with her not just showing no remorse for her actions, but also showing pride in her actions.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Cozy Glow is not a very unique villain. You can find characters like that in the Powerpuff Girls (mainly Princess Morbucks), and they usually make more sense in that show's brand of comedy.

Probably has something to do with her not just showing no remorse for her actions, but also showing pride in her actions.

I'd actually argue that Cozy has little in common with Morbucks other than her sheer design. Same with Darla Dimple.

Morbucks was a spoiled brat who got by via her vast wealth. Everyone around her knew that she was a brat, they were just too afraid of her money to stand up to her.

Cozy was an ambitious schemer who honestly made people think that she was a sweet little girl.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Chancellor Neighsay had a point regarding his racism, and was unjustly overheated, and was a designated villain >_>

You're just saying that because of the movie and the Changeling invasion of 2012.

Just now, gingerninja666 said:

I'd actually argue that Cozy has little in common with Morbucks other than her sheer design. Same with Darla Dimple.

Morbucks was a spoiled brat who got by via her vast wealth. Everyone around her knew that she was a brat, they were just too afraid of her money to stand up to her.

Cozy was an ambitious schemer who honestly made people think that she was a sweet little girl.

It just doesn't make any sense, okay? The evil, manipulative, little girl trope belongs in shows like the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (and I hate the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. It was terrible.)

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'll give you that. There weren't really much or Twilight to "grab onto", but does that really mean Cozy couldn't have been redeemed? I mean, Discord didn't really have much for anyone to "grab onto" either before he got redeemed. Heck, the only reason he was able to form a friendship with Fluttershy in the first place was because he lived there with her whilst being redeemed.  

I'm not saying that the writers should have had her apologize and immediately been forgiven but it would have been nice if there had been some kind of punishment that at least implied they were trying to redeem her. Like, force her to attend extra friendships lesson or something like that.  But nope, it's straight to jail for her.  

It was quickly revealed that Discord needed someone to reach out to him. Someone to treat him kindly. Cozy had that for months. The crusaders cared about her. The school cared about her. She wasn't really missing a friend because she already had them.

Also, I feel like people who insist that cozy is "just a child" are playing right into her strengths. This child almost brought Equestria to it's knees and is completely undeterred and unrepentant about anything she's done. People think she can't be dangerous, when she IS.

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Yes, but again she's a child. And as previously mentioned, most justice systems in the real world tends to treat kids who have committed crimes differently from adults who have done the same for a reason. So it's a bit annoying that the show is implying that a child is more responsible for their actions than adults are if the latter says they're sorry. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want the episode to have ended with her having to apologize and everything immediately being fine and dandy, but I'd rather she had received a punishment that implies that they're at least trying to reform her rather than just throwing her in jail.  

But even if her unwillingness to immediately apologize means that she's unable to be redeemed, that wouldn't really make her being thrown into jail less annoying. After all, the script didn't magically include her. No, the writers made the decision to make a child irredeemable whilst making the adult villains sympathetic and apologetic.

5 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

It was quickly revealed that Discord needed someone to reach out to him. Someone to treat him kindly. Cozy had that for months. The crusaders cared about her. The school cared about her. She wasn't really missing a friend because she already had them.

The fact that Cozy had friends is pretty much irrelevant. You could easily make the argument that she never truly grasped what friendship means or some bullshit. This wouldn't even be that much of reach as it seems to be a very common opinion people have. Heck, even the fan wiki claims that "[Cozy Glow] thinks little of the true virtues of friendship, believing she can easily make more friends without them, and cares for no-one but herself, seeing friendship solely as a means to gain power.". 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Yes, but again she's a child. And as previously mentioned, most justice systems in the real world tends to treat kids who have committed crimes differently from adults who have done the same for a reason. So it's a bit annoying that the show is implying that a child is more responsible for their actions than adults are if the latter says they're sorry. 

The problem is that Jim Miller thought it would be funny, because he has a weird sense of humor. Then again, we're taking cartoons seriously, anyway.

6 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

You could easily make the argument that she never truly grasped what friendship means or some bullshit.

The show is about friendship, what did you expect?

6 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

Also, I feel like people who insist that cozy is "just a child" are playing right into her strengths. This child almost brought Equestria to it's knees and is completely undeterred and unrepentant about anything she's done. People think she can't be dangerous, when she IS.

Why are you praising this out-of-place villain? Watch The Omen if this is your kind of villain.

18 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Why are you praising this out-of-place villain? Watch The Omen if this is your kind of villain.

Don't tell me what I can and can't enjoy.  I enjoyed the hell out of cozy and thought she was the best part of School Raze. I've seen the Omen and I wasn't a big fan of it.

If you don't like her, that's fine. But don't incredulously get in my face about liking her. To me she made sense for what the season was building. She's a pony villain to counter Neighsay's racism, and she's a dark product of Twilight's school. Embodying the lessons Twilight sought to teach and twisting them for dark ends. The ultimate counterpoint to the very philosophy of the show.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, gingerninja666 said:

Don't tell me what I can and can't enjoy.  I enjoyed the hell out of cozy and thought she was the best part of School Raze. I've seen the Omen and I wasn't a big fan of it.

If you don't like her, that's fine. But don't incredulously get in my face about liking her. To me she made sense for what the season was building. She's a pony villain to counter Neighsay's racism, and she's a dark product of Twilight's school. Embodying the lessons Twilight sought to teach and twisting them for dark ends. The ultimate counterpoint to the very philosophy of the show.

Sorry. I was annoyed. She just doesn't make sense to me.

9 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

You're just saying that because of the movie and the Changeling invasion of 2012.

Not that simple. As I’ve written before, the way the issue felt too one sided, and felt like a case of Protagonist-Centered Morality. I’ve felt the conflict would have felt more satisfying had the writting acknowledged Neighsay’s side while still ultimately make him lose the argument, specially considering that three, four if you consider supplementary material, of the Young 6’s non-pony species have an history of aggression against Equestria (Silverstream gets a pass, as Queen Novo was justified on her actions), instead of making him the too unsimpatetic douche he was presented as (then again, I guess they were grooming him as red herring from the start :dash:)

• Brohoof 1

Rollercoaster of Friendship is the only good Rarijack episode

Limestone Pie>Marble Pie

I don't mind the Friendship School plot, but I do feel that it, especially the student 6 needed to be focused on more.

While reforming villains and antagonists fits with the show's themes and messages, I really think FiM is well suited for doing so.  Given how rushed the vast majority of them end up being, the show just isn't serialized to do any of them much justice.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Not that simple. As I’ve written before, the way the issue felt too one sided, and felt like a case of Protagonist-Centered Morality. I’ve felt the conflict would have felt more satisfying had the writting acknowledged Neighsay’s side while still ultimately make him lose the argument, specially considering that three, four if you consider supplementary material, of the Young 6’s non-pony species have an history of aggression against Equestria (Silverstream gets a pass, as Queen Novo was justified on her actions), instead of making him the too unsimpatetic douche he was presented as (then again, I guess they were grooming him as red herring from the start :dash:)

I think his symbolic meaning is, if somewhat simplistic, at least a bit amusing, and I actually tend to think the show isn't respectful enough to non-pony cultures. If we're to take them at all seriously, then I think they would deserve to be seen as something more than stereotypes or monoliths. Just because some changelings or dragons were hostile to ponies, it doesn't mean all or even the majority of them are. Consider the changelings, who were pretty enthusiastic about being friendly once they learned they didn't need to prey on ponies to survive anymore. People deserve to be seen as people, and besides, Neighsay isn't a politician or diplomat. He's more symbol than character, sure - but I at least think he makes sense as a symbol. 

8 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

I think you're taking this show's setting way too seriously. We've seen children get up to all sorts of stuff beyond what we might expect of real-world children. I think the problem with Cozy Glow isn't that she exists at all, but that the show takes her so seriously and gives her so much gravitas. She'd be the perfect villain for a more humorous finale, and I really do think that would make for better stories than straight-faced suspense the show usually goes for. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I think you're taking this show's setting way too seriously. We've seen children get up to all sorts of stuff beyond what we might expect of real-world children. I think the problem with Cozy Glow isn't that she exists at all, but that the show takes her so seriously and gives her so much gravitas. She'd be the perfect villain for a more humorous finale, and I really do think that would make for better stories than straight-faced suspense the show usually goes for. 

Maybe. But yes, she would be more appropriate for a more humorous finale, unless there's something deeper about her character that the writers are saving for the next season.

P.S. When I wrote "Why are you praising this out-of-place character", I was very annoyed because I had to go to a dental appointment today.

I don't like judging entire seasons of this show. Or rather, I don't like dwelling on it. Because I feel doing that takes away from individual episodes and what they offer.

This show in particular is so episodic that I feel you can safely just revisit specific episodes that you liked and ignore those you do not. Doing that has basically left me not hating ANY season of the show, because all I watch again are the episodes I think are good. Like, Season 6. I dont think about 28 Pranks Later or Cart Before the Ponies or Spice up your life, because all I watch are No Second Prances or A Hearthswarming Tail or Saddle Row or other episodes that I liked.

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

I don't like judging entire seasons of this show. Or rather, I don't like dwelling on it. Because I feel doing that takes away from individual episodes and what they offer.

This show in particular is so episodic that I feel you can safely just revisit specific episodes that you liked and ignore those you do not. Doing that has basically left me not hating ANY season of the show, because all I watch again are the episodes I think are good. Like, Season 6. I dont think about 28 Pranks Later or Cart Before the Ponies or Spice up your life, because all I watch are No Second Prances or A Hearthswarming Tail or Saddle Row or other episodes that I liked.

I wish I had your optimism

On 10/20/2018 at 6:49 AM, RulesofRarity said:

The CMC'S cutie mark designs suck, they are way too small and don't make the colors of their body. I wish they got them individually. In Scootaloo's case she should've got her cutie mark in "Flight to the Finish".

On 10/20/2018 at 6:49 AM, RulesofRarity said:
  • I don't find the Student Six very interesting at all so I hope they have a diminished role in Season 9.
  • Horse Play sucks and I'm convinced now that they shouldn't bother developing the Princesses at this point.

@RulesofRarityI agree with all that you said except these. I like the Crusader's cutie mark designs and I think they capture what the Crusader's stand for: unified friendship even when they are all so diverse in talent and appearance. 

The Student 6 aren't interesting to me as CHARACTERS, but then again neither were the Pillars. I see them as interesting because since 

Spoiler

the Season 8 finale, it basically show that they are the new Elements of Harmony, and I'm excited to see that development. 

I don't see how Horse Play sucks, but it was kind of stupid, if not sweet. 

Just now, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

Judging from the poll on the 'earlier vs. later seasons' poll, that actually isn't that unpopular an opinion, particularly considering this board's reception to season 5 and 7. 

I mean, you're not wrong. Still, I feel like I'm the only one who feels that the show has been consistently good throughout.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:36 AM, gingerninja666 said:

Not to mention Princess was a lover in playing the victim and manipulating her dad with tantrums. Besides, her goals are pretty petty. Cozy with her mind alone makes her a walking weapon leagues beyond Princess, as she almost won starting with nothing

On 1/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

We've seen children get up to all sorts of stuff beyond what we might expect of real-world children.

I believe in talking foals driving parade floats and other stuff. What I don't believe in is a talking foal draining all of a kingdom's magic and sending it to another dimension as part of a plan to take over said kingdom (besides, she got advice from Tirek).