Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

(edited)
  • "Magical Mystery Cure" is one of my favorite episodes
  • "Rarity Investigates!" is one of the best season 5 episodes
  • "The Ticket Master" is my least favorite episode, mainly because I just don't find it all that interesting
  • I don't think the first Equestria Girls is that terrible of movie
  • "Legend of Everfree" is decent
  • I thought "The Cutie Re-Mark" was a good season finale
  • I really enjoyed "Fame and Misfortune", and I consider it to be one of my favorite episodes period.
  • "The Fault In Our Cutie Marks", "Family Appreciation Day", "Games Ponies Play", "Putting Your Hoof Down", "Filli Vanilli", "Forever Filly", and "Discordant Harmony" are really overlooked
  • Starlight is one of my favorite characters
Edited by ultrairongorilla

(edited)

WARNING: Unpopular opinions incoming. Prepare your pitchforks and lynch ropes.

Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle has got to be her weakest voice acting performance throughout her entire career. Besides Twilight’s voice sounds awfully familiar from an episode in Samurai Jack Season 4 Episode 47: Jack and The Flying Prince and Princess. She voice acts a character named Princess Verbina that sounds just like a certain purple unicorn in the show. Tara didn’t even try to give Twilight a unique voice. LAME.

Discord should’ve been put to stone. Why is he still in the show? I never watched Star Wars, Star Trek nor any franchise that begins with Star.

*Sarcasm* So, I could care less if Discord is being voice acted by John DeLancie nor could I care less about his popularity in the show. *Sarcasm*

Pinkie Pie has zero understanding when it comes to personal space.

*Sarcasm* Plus, saying her name out in public will make everyone question if you’re retarded or mentally insane. *Sarcasm*

Fluttershy is an uninteresting character and quite possibly a psycho pony. She’s a terrible role model for Shy people in general.

Rainbow Dash is my least favorite pony in the show. Didn’t like her in her first appearance, her first episode, and never liked any episode centered around her.

Applejack and Rarity are the only competent characters that are even remotely interesting in the show. They both got a mysterious family background to keep the audience engaged and they both have family issues to deal with.

Please note: Only watched Seasons 1-3 and never the later seasons.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Sometimes I forget to add a sarcasm marker. Sorry about that everyone. Now I added it for correction.
  • Brohoof 2

Debate the point; not the person please.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

- Discord's reformation could've been handled better. It was a little too abrupt. Should've taken more than just one episode. Though one could argue that he wasn't truly reformed until his sincere repentance following his betrayal in the Season 4 finale. I think that moment was handled better than the entirety of Keep Calm and Flutter On.

- Applejack has been boring since Season 6. Not even The Perfect Pear has really redeemed her for me. Apple Bloom and Big Mac have both been more fun to watch.

- The Equestria Girls shorts deserve more attention. I'm glad that the human world is finally getting fleshed out.

- Pinkie Pie is no longer as interesting as she used to be. She used to have more meaningful appearances that weren't just comic relief. Now she just tends to be annoying, apart from the episodes that showcase the dynamic between her and Maud.

- Zephyr Breeze is a great character and admittedly a funny stereotype of modern people who can't seem to let go of the home they grew up in and--no pun intended--spread their wings. But at the same time, his development in Flutter Brutter is heartwarming. While him and Fluttershy don't initially get along too well, they are a cool sibling duo that ends up bringing out the best in both of them. I really want some more Zephyr in the next season, because he has a lot of potential to be even more meaningful in future appearances as we see him grow from his lazy and unconfident former self. I love seeing characters grow!

- Similar to my last point regarding Zephyr Breeze, I think Fluttershy Leans In is a great episode. Watch Dragonshy and then watch Fluttershy Leans In. It's like two different characters. But Fluttershy's progression has felt natural (apart from a few out-of-place moments like Scare Master) and the animal sanctuary is her biggest triumph so far. I can't help but be proud of her, as if she's a student going from high school dropout to college graduate.

• Brohoof 5

- I really don't like Rarity. I think her episodes are dry and boring and they have some the stupidest conflicts/plots.

- The only interesting thing about Applejack is her accent, everything else about her is extremely forgettable.

- I hate Flurry Heart with a passion. That thing needs to cease to exist right now.

- I think that Starlight's episodes are some of the best in the series, especially when Trixie is involved.

- Princess Cadence is a blah character, her personality is just blah, the way she was so abruptly introduced into the show was just blah, her reasons for being a princess is just blah, overall Cadence is just a lot of blah. 

• While I didn't like the first Equestria Girls movie, Rainbow Rocks is probably my favorite thing about the entire series. They turned a poorly written redemption into a realistic slow process where the character tries to better themselves and where others need time to forgive them for their mistakes. It shaped Sunset into my favorite character!
  • With that being said I really dislike Starlight for the complete opposite process. She never really seemed to care about the things she's done and uses it as a joke in the worst kind of way; I can't tell if it's poor writing or just a bad character in general and that is super frustrating to me. I kind of wish they would just get rid of her and not consider them a new main character.
  • "Fluttershy Leans In" is an episode that made me think that the writing team was back on their feet! ... until the rest of the season happened. Ouch. So much for character development.
  • On that same note, re-watching the first few seasons made me realize that Rainbow Dash had a lot of relatable qualities in the beginning, but as the series went on into the later seasons I feel like a lot of those are lost; this could be because of the writing that I mentioned earlier.
  • The comics are amazing and I'm very sad that the animated series doesn't use any of the content from them. Celestia is a very flat character in the animation, but so very fleshed out in the comics!! I highly recommend reading them.
  • Chrysalis is the best villain and honestly the most cunning. Discord's actor is amazing, but they still can't top the queen. :proud:
  • I actually like the idea of Twilight becoming an alicorn, but I think that "The Princess of Friendship" sounds very lackluster in comparison to the other princesses and their titles. 
  • Finally, the MLP Movie was absolutely amazing and I cannot even tell y'all how many times I've watched it!
  • Brohoof 1

"Slife of life" is the worst episode of the whole franchise. And the fact that it was a nod to the fandom does not make it any better nor does it excuse any of its many faults.

• Brohoof 2

I honestly don't think the show is that good. I love certain characters and episodes but overall it's been hard to pick back up.
I've heard lots of good things about season 6 so I've been wanting to pick it back up, but I just can't be bothered to trudge through seasons 4 and 5.

Also, Spike is the best character.

3 minutes ago, Gestum said:

"Slife of life" is the worst episode of the whole franchise. And the fact that it was a nod to the fandom does not make it any better nor does it excuse any of its many faults.

It's sad that this opinion counts as unpopular honestly.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, stipstick said:
  • With that being said I really dislike Starlight for the complete opposite process. She never really seemed to care about the things she's done and uses it as a joke in the worst kind of way; I can't tell if it's poor writing or just a bad character in general and that is super frustrating to me. I kind of wish they would just get rid of her and not consider them a new main character.

Star hasn't really used her past as a joke for a long time. She really only did it for No Second Prances, and there it mostly read as a self deprecating type of thing to me. She spends the season 6 finale scared out of her mind that she hasn't changed and that she doesn't deserve to ever be in charge of anything again because she knew how awful she was. Then in season 7 she uses magic on HERSELF because she doesn't trust herself to not use magic on Trixie if she gets mad.

I find Star is more self aware than people give her credit for. There's this little moment I loved in The Times they are a Changeling where Spike is singing that a Changeling can change to a bunch of angry ponies including STarlight, and during the final chorus you can see, in the shadows in the background, Starlight suddenly realize how much of a hypocrite she's being then look away ashamed of herself.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Annie said:

I've heard lots of good things about season 6 so I've been wanting to pick it back up, but I just can't be bothered to trudge through seasons 4 and 5.

Season 6 is the most I've liked the show since season 2 so if you're willing to go through a small handful of key S4-5 episodes then I'd say it's worth giving a shot. 

4 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

I find Star is more self aware than people give her credit for. There's this little moment I loved in The Times they are a Changeling where Spike is singing that a Changeling can change to a bunch of angry ponies including STarlight, and during the final chorus you can see, in the shadows in the background, Starlight suddenly realize how much of a hypocrite she's being then look away ashamed of herself.

I liked Starlight in most of season 6 and acknowledge her improvement in that one season 7 episode, but I still frequently (like, more frequently than any other protagonist) find her actions objectionable, and I also feel she became significantly more confident in season 7, and that's made it harder for me to relate to her. She often puts on this woe-is-me attitude which I don't always feel is earned. 

12 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

WARNING: Unpopular opinions incoming. Prepare your pitchforks and lynch ropes.

Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle has got to be her weakest voice acting performance throughout her entire career. Besides Twilight’s voice sounds awfully familiar from an episode in Samurai Jack Season 4 Episode 47: Jack and The Flying Prince and Princess. She voice acts a character named Princess Verbina that sounds just like a certain purple unicorn in the show. Tara didn’t even try to give Twilight a unique voice. LAME.

Discord should’ve been put to stone. Why is he still in the show? I never watched Star Wars, Star Trek nor any franchise that begins with Star.

*Sarcasm* So, I could care less if Discord is being voice acted by John DeLancie nor could I care less about his popularity in the show. *Sarcasm*

Pinkie Pie has zero understanding when it comes to personal space.

*Sarcasm* Plus, saying her name out in public will make everyone question if you’re retarded or mentally insane. *Sarcasm*

Fluttershy is an uninteresting character and quite possibly a psycho pony. She’s a terrible role model for Shy people in general.

Rainbow Dash is my least favorite pony in the show. Didn’t like her in her first appearance, her first episode, and never liked any episode centered around her.

Applejack and Rarity are the only competent characters that are even remotely interesting in the show. They both got a mysterious family background to keep the audience engaged and they both have family issues to deal with.

Please note: Only watched Seasons 1-3 and never the later seasons.

Funny enough I'm only 3 seasons in so far, and some of these I do agree with. Like the Fluttershy one. Fluttershy so far to me is pretty boring. I however never found Rainbow to me my least favorite but she was always there for me until season 3, where she got some episodes to further her character arc (making her my favorite character in season 3).

While I disagree with your last one, I will say so far, I've enjoyed Rarity and AJ's episodes more than the others so far.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

I thought I was the only one who thought that... ^_^

She is so boring and generic that it is creepy. And it gets even worse as the seasons go on. :wacko:

12 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

- I really don't like Rarity. I think her episodes are dry and boring and they have some the stupidest conflicts/plots.

- The only interesting thing about Applejack is her accent, everything else about her is extremely forgettable.

- I hate Flurry Heart with a passion. That thing needs to cease to exist right now.

- I think that Starlight's episodes are some of the best in the series, especially when Trixie is involved.

- Princess Cadence is a blah character, her personality is just blah, the way she was so abruptly introduced into the show was just blah, her reasons for being a princess is just blah, overall Cadence is just a lot of blah. 

None of those are unpopular opinions. They are opinions that some people highly disagree with, but they are not unpopular. :orly:

Also, I could not agree more that Flurry Heart is an abomination that needs to die now! :glimmer:

• Brohoof 1

I rather dislike Flurry Heart. All she does is ruin Alicorn lore.

I like Shining Armor and Cadence. Despite them appearing out of nowhere, both characters have become very likable for me.

I dislike the school of friendship idea in season 8.

• Brohoof 3

I think the show would be more interesting if there was no permanent "Mane Six".  At any given time, I think it's good to have a subset of characters who get more focus, but I'd let that focus change over time.  Like a soap opera.

So far 4 seasons in and "Bats!" is probably the worst episode to me. Didn't like how the episode seemed to push AJ being in a more negative light compared to Fluttershy. Just seemed like the episode was trying hard to make me feel like AJ was wrong and Fluttershy was technically in the right. It was predictably boring for this to be the case. I think the episode would have probably been far better had the lesson been to make a compromise, considering how adamant Flutter and AJ were. Overall it's just the worst episode to me so far easily due to that.

• Brohoof 2

30 minutes ago, ChB said:

Newbie Dash,

I would agree with this. While not exactly a favorite of mine, I would say that it's over-hated, and after watching Josh Scorcher's review on it, that it's actually pretty decent.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, MAIKUN said:

I don't think Scootaloo doesn't have parents, I think her parents are dead. That makes her an ORPHAN. 

Isn't this a double negative? If you don't think Scootaloo doesn't have parents, then that means you think she does have parents, and therefore, isn't an orphan.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Isn't this a double negative? If you don't think Scootaloo doesn't have parents, then that means you think she does have parents, and therefore, isn't an orphan.

She is an orphan, actually.

3 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

She is an orphan, actually.

Unless we have actual proof; please don't state that as fact.

And let's keep this on topic people.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
17 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

I would agree with this. While not exactly a favorite of mine, I would say that it's over-hated, and after watching Josh Scorcher's review on it, that it's actually pretty decent.

Even more so when you realize Ashleigh Ball was doing a hybrid of her Mane roles (when Rainbow Dash was acting like Applejack).

#Ashleighception.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2