Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

6 minutes ago, Shadowmoth2011 said:

In fact I usually tend to enjoy Spike episodes more than most. His episodes, Fluttershy's episodes and Maud Pie-centric episodes tend to be among my favorites most often. Heck, my favorite episode period is a Spike episode. :mustache:

I will say that I often find Spike episodes to be a mixed bag, but Spike himself is actually a fantastic character as a whole. He is surprisingly layered and well-developed as the show progresses.

I am not sure if liking Spike counts as an unpopular opinion, admittedly. I do think I can get away with saying Spike being one of my favorite characters is at least semi-controversial, though, especially with a roster as large as FiM's.

• Brohoof 2

I will tell you a really unpopular opinion

-Aside from some obvious hiccups, I believe there was great consistency in the shows quality from beginning to end.

Some Bronies say there was a point the show stopped being as good as before, but I don't think there are objective grounds for that claim.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-04-17 at 5:57 PM, Sonic Shimmer said:

Season 9 wasn't as good as the earlier seasons were.

That actually seems to be a pretty popular opinion.

If anything, my opinion that seasons 8 and 9 aren't total garbage (but do contain some of the show's most glaring screwups) is relatively unpopular.

I'm sort of neutral on Slice of Life overall. I can respect that the writers no doubt had fun with creating the episode and the references to the MLP fandom, but putting that aside it does sort of just go all over the place with it's narrative and feels pretty incoherent, especially if you don't really 'get' the fandom references. It doesn't really surprise me that, in my view at least, people's enjoyment of the episode tends to correlate with how much they enjoy MLP fanon, and for me it's definitely more of an episode I respect/appreciate than one I actually enjoy watching. As I've said in the past, The Simpsons' '22 Short Films About Springfield' did this sort of episode much better IMO, at least on the basis of just how each plot felt connected to some extent or another.

(man i rambled for much more than i intended to)

Edited by ExpitheCat
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, snowfall_shy said:

i don't get the season 9 hate so much. season 8 i understand but i don't get why s9 is posed as worse than it for a lot of people. i actually really liked a lot of the episodes from s9 personally

I kind of agree with you. Part of it was the obvious fact that all the story threads were being concluded at the same time, and a larger part was the reveal of Grogar actually being Discord to everypony's disappointment. But there was enjoyment to be had in Season 9, and since I am not one of the show's staff I try to be mature by saying it's not my job to tell the creators how to end their show. Most fans who hate Season 9 would probably do it worse.

1 hour ago, Stancet said:

I kind of agree with you. Part of it was the obvious fact that all the story threads were being concluded at the same time, and a larger part was the reveal of Grogar actually being Discord to everypony's disappointment. But there was enjoyment to be had in Season 9, and since I am not one of the show's staff I try to be mature by saying it's not my job to tell the creators how to end their show. Most fans who hate Season 9 would probably do it worse.

Well, purely ideas wise I have liked 99% of fan suggested ideas for Season 9 more than what they actually did with Season 9, so I don't entirely agree with that. But most fans aren't professional writers, so of course it's kind of a given they might not be able to actually write those ideas as well, doesn't invalidate their criticisms though.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Well, purely ideas wise I have liked 99% of fan suggested ideas for Season 9 more than what they actually did with Season 9, so I don't entirely agree with that. But most fans aren't professional writers, so of course it's kind of a given they might not be able to actually write those ideas as well, doesn't invalidate their criticisms though.

I'll probably take back what I said earlier. You probably explained better what I was trying to say. I have ideas too, but I prefer to be thankful for what I got. That's because I'm too easygoing nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Stancet said:

I'll probably take back what I said earlier. You probably explained better what I was trying to say. I have ideas too, but I prefer to be thankful for what I got. That's because I'm too easygoing nowadays.

I was like that for most of the show, but Season 9 manages to turn me into a Quibble Pants type person every time I think of it without fail. 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

I was like that for most of the show, but Season 9 manages to turn me into a Quibble Pants type person every time I think of it without fail. 

Well... me too... on one or two points.

9 hours ago, Totally Nyx said:

Here's an opinion I'm probably alone in. I actually really liked Newbie Dash.

star-wars-its-treason-then.gif.cba10fdcca02c099f96ff9af2a3b855b.gif

Spoiler

Just kidding :P

I liked a little, except that one part where Rainbow Dash copied her friends too much and pretended to be like them. That was one of the few times FiM made me cringe so hard.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Stancet said:

yeah that part was kinda weird but i think the actual episodes were better. also it's still way less bad than the school of friendship imo

• Brohoof 1

Season 1 and some of the season 2 put me to sleep though.... The rest of the seasons didn't....

But all in all the fandom....

I actually enjoyed all the seasons.... Until I joined the fandom... 

Also why I'm greatfull to have watched all the seasons without fandom influence.

Edited by Kujamih

52 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Season 1 and some of the season 2 put me to sleep though.... The rest of the seasons didn't....

But all in all the fandom....

I actually enjoyed all the seasons.... Until I joined the fandom... 

Also why I'm greatfull to have watched all the seasons without fandom influence.

came here looking for fans trashing the show and get fans being trashed instead :P I mean it is an unpopular opinions thread

don't know if this is 'unpopular' or not, but I have mixed feelings about GM Berrow as the writer of the new Gen pony. On the one hoof she makes cute pony media, but she ain't a badflank like Faust :( 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I prefer pretty much all the pop-influenced songs in the series (the ones with clear verses and choruses) to the more musical-influenced ones. The former are just catchier and thus more memorable to me, the latter work in the context of the show but I rarely go back to them.

I like the Student 6, especially Ocellus (surprise!) and Smolder. I always felt having a large cast of characters made the show more interesting, even if it sometimes meant my absolute favorite characters didn't get to appear in every episode.

While Pony Life was nowhere near the quality of FIM, I found it alright and thought season 2 was a significant improvement over the first one. Some of the new characters were nice, too – I thought the Wild Siders were an interesting group of characters, just a shame they were swept aside so quickly (I couldn't help but wonder how much more FIM would have done with them and the whole idea of a "wild" alternative universe, or Potion Nova for that matter).

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...
(edited)
  • Most of the things people hate about Season 9 (Grogar twist, the villain trio’s punishment, Celestia and Luna retiring), I don’t care/am neutral about.
  • Rarijack and Fluttercord are overrated.

• Some people:

• Take MLP too seriously

• Have too high standards/expectations for the series

• Need to let go when it comes to their dislike of certain episodes or characters

• Flurry Heart being born an alicorn doesn’t bother me (this controversy’s probably old news)

Edited by Megalobronia
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, misaokuser89 said:

probably not unpopular but any episode and or clip involving the cmc i skip majority of the time 

tbh I do the same. The high pitched voices/screams and recycled plot lines are a bit too much for me. I skipped a majority of their episodes after my initial watching of the series.

• 3 weeks later...
  • It was very hypocritical for The Mane Six to treat Cozy Glow the way they did while also constantly reforming other villains MUCH older than her, while Cozy actually had the potential to and probably would've in "Frenemies" if it weren't for Chrysalis.
  • Also related to Cozy Glow, I found her one of the best villains in the show, was she written just to be a twist villain?, yes, but other than that I found her to be funny and entertaining.
  • I sympathize with the fact that Babs Seed was bullied back in Manehattan.
  • Brohoof 1