Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Else Hate Conventions?

Heretick-Tock

95 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike conventions?

• Dislike
    • Neutral

I`ve never been to one, dont know if I will ever go simply because I don`t think I would have much to talk about to anybody there.  Would be cool to walk around for like, 30-60 minutes and just bail, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to a couple!

Some of them are PACKED!!! (of which i hate cause it triggers my anxiety :P)

But some of them are pretty cool! But you can always have your opinion.

-VinylDerp

I've never been to any conventions in my life. Most of the ones I want to go to are really far away (like Bronycon), and my parents would really suspect something, and they hate Bronies.

I've been to 4 now. I've only had a good time if I am with my group. Stranger association is pretty good, but I've only had that experience at bronycon and ponycon. I wouldn't know about furry conventions, and the anime convention I went to was nearly 7 years ago. I snuck into that one >_>

Anyway . . . Conventions are always good if you got a group to stick with. My next goal is attending a furry convention, which I've wanted to do for years and years now.

• Brohoof 2

I just attended my third Otakon in a row, which, these days, is held in the same place BronyCon was just held this year, in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, Maryland.   I actually voted no in the poll despite that I had a really great time in all three convention trips.

Of course, that's only a few words right there to describe an entire trip experience.

Gotta keep in mind that every factor goes into it.  Your hotel stay, travel distance and experience, the friends you go with, the people you meet, how long you have to wait in lines, the weather, how expensive everything is and how many funds you have for the whole trip, and a lot more.

It's difficult to have a good time without more than one other person going with you.  During all three Otakons, I was entirely willing to change the name of the experience to "Wait-In-Line-For-Two-Hours-Con."  All it was was lines, lines, lines.   There were 38,000 people at this year's Otakon, I think, and only about 8,400 people at this year's BronyCon.  (Just off the top of my head, though; I'm probably wrong somewhere.)   But suffice it to say, there was a line to get anywhere.  That's why they're moving to D.C. in two years.  But BronyCon should definitely still be okay there.   I mean there's almost five times fewer people walking around. 

The actual contents of the 'con can't be taken for granted.  It's going to be out of your control.  If you imagine that it's going to be the perfect experience, or "the best night ever," as it were, (/gala)  then yes, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  But is it a heck of a lot more interesting than your humdrum daily lives?  Yeah.   So go enjoy the sights and sounds of a mass gathering of people that are probably a lot closer to you than the other crazies surrounding you, and have a good time.

• Brohoof 3

At first I thought that Conventions like comic-con like are pretty cool,but once I went to them more often.I realised that it's too expensive.

You basically pay for people to sell you stuff

That's pretty much all conventions are for.You pay more than 200$ of merch at conventions.Well that's just me.Most of the people selling stuff act like it's the end of the world if you refuse to buy something from them.I first thought that you can dress up as any fictional character you want,and socialize with those related to who you were dressed up as.Turns out not for me.

Another thing that gets annoying is when the people who do go to the conventions end up showing off what they got over there.Not everyone got a chance to go,and have a blast.Happens every year at comic-con San diego.Videos,and pics posted everywhere on the internet.

Long story short:Not the poor mans hobby 

At first I thought that Conventions like comic-con like are pretty cool,but once I went to them more often.I realised that it's too expensive.

You basically pay for people to sell you stuff

That's pretty much all conventions are for.You pay more than 200$ of merch at conventions.Well that's just me.Most of the people selling stuff act like it's the end of the world if you refuse to buy something from them.I first thought that you can dress up as any fictional character you want,and socialize with those related to who you were dressed up as.Turns out not for me.

Another thing that gets annoying is when the people who do go to the conventions end up showing off what they got over there.Not everyone got a chance to go,and have a blast.Happens every year at comic-con San diego.Videos,and pics posted everywhere on the internet.

Long story short:Not the poor mans hobby 

That's what volunteering is for. As for the people who say they will never go to a con because of a few obnoxious people. Don't let them ruin it for you. Just because one person had a bad experience doesn't mean you will. For every jerk, there is three nice and friendly people. So get out there and go to a con. You will not regret it.

Edited by Solar Cloud
  • Brohoof 1

Pittsburgh's hotels are overrun with the sound of sex at all times of the day.

Well, it would be a good place for singles to get hooked up that's for sure. 

Jokes aside, I am now not wanting to go to a convention. The fact that they carelessly have sex just surprises me since I would suspect that these places would be the height population of STD's.

Well, I guess I'm going to find out whether any of my fears about conventions will come true, since I've decided to go to SacBrony (only because my awesome little sis is willing to come with). I predict it'll be underwhelming compared to some of the more major cons, but we shall see how things pan out.

On the way, way, way off-chance that any fellow CA bronies from these forums are also going, perhaps I'll see you there. I'm kinda hard to miss, what with the long hair and all. ;)

I've been to plenty of conventions in my life only to find that I didn't enjoy my time at a single one. Why, you ask? It's simple - the people.

And when I talk about conventions, I'm not insinuating anything political; I actually enjoy those since I'm  into looking after my community's well being. I'm talking about conventions based around media and pop culture.

Anime conventions, Anthrocon, Bronycon are all worthy mentions when talking about gatherings which I cannot stand. Every single one has attracted the worst of the worst; and the most intolerable of all are the ones who CANNOT like the show/game/movie without making sure they know more than everyone else. 

Two years ago at Tekkoshocon I was attacked by a girl who thought I looked like her favorite anime character. She was a solid 1/10 and completely lacking in common sense or decency, while throwing her arms around me and screaming "I LOVE YOU ONY-CHAN" (or however you spell it). I contacted security and they dragged her away kicking and screaming, only to have her do it again to A GUY WHO WASN'T EVEN IN THE CONVENTION CENTER. But it doesn't stop there, either, there were levels of pathetic which were reached that I didn't even know existed on this plane. 

There were creepy-ass pedophiles hitting on teenage girls, creepy-ass, forty-year-old nerds hitting on teenage girls (yes, there is a difference), and antisemitism towards me when I declined ham from a vendor.

Oh and I should throw in that Uncle Yo is by far the least funny "comedian" on the face of the earth.

Now, Bronycon wasn't nearly as bad but it still had a couple of REALLY bad apples. Luckily, I didn't have anything happen to me personally but I could see that there were plenty of others who would have rather saved their money than potentially see the community's ugly face. 

Tara Strong was cool, even though I only got to shake her hand.

Anthrocon... I'd rather not go too deep into this since there's so much I can say.

Here it is:

Gay guys hitting on me and not understanding what "no" means.

Creepy girls hitting on me and not understanding what "no" means.

Artists not getting the fact that I didn't want to purchase their art.

THE CONVENTION CENTER ISN'T ENOUGH, LET'S GO ANNOY ALL OF PITTSBURGH!

The whole "be a furry or get out" attitude.

Pittsburgh's hotels are overrun with the sound of sex at all times of the day.

People actually brag about their fursona.

Interrupting sporting events seems acceptable to furries. 

And much, much more.

Needless to say my experiences were horrible and I haven't been back since. 

I can safely say that none of what you mentioned has happened to me at any of the conventions I've been to.. But I guess experiences differ from convention to convention, however I've thoroughly enjoyed the ones I've attended. 

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

• 1 year later...

I think conventions are interesting if you enjoy seeing people dressed up in costumes of graphic tees or getting comments on what you wear. I've only been to a toy convention in Santa Rosa so far and even though I wore a Regular Show t-shirt while others stood out with their cosplaying, I got a comment from one of the vendor operators. I have peers who have been to FanimeCon a lot and they told me that they get hugged when cosplaying. My advice is to go and enjoy yourself but expect to have awkward attention moments if you don't wear normal plain clothes. Don't forget the huge fans and crazy people.

I've never been to a convention, so I voted neutral since I haven't had good nor bad experiences at them. I used to want to go to an MLP convention back when I was more interested in the show, but now that I've lost interest in MLP I no longer really care about cons.

It seems like there are both some "good people" at cons, and then there are the old creepy dudes and the crazy over-obsessed fans :wacko:

Edited by JingleSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

I love conventions! It sucks though, since I usually go to them alone. Going with friends is much more fun than being alone, but whatever. At least I still manage to go to the cons, which I'm thankful for. Anyways, I generally only go to anime conventions. They can be pretty darn fun if done correctly. I love walking into the hotel for the first time on the con weekend, and seeing everybody in their costumes. :D

Conventions are an absolute delight to attend. I have been to six of them, four San Diego Comic-Cons and two Star Wars Celebrations (V and VI). Never once in those conventions have I encountered a negative experience with fellow attendees. In fact, it is pretty much the opposite. At my first convention, Celebration V, I met an extremely nice lady in line while waiting for the doors to open up. She even gave me some home made Star Wars sugar cookies. That was a great way to kick off a great convention.

One thing that helps make conventions great is that you have something is common with the other attendees. The pure passion for whatever it is your a fan of. I stood in line overnight many times with people that equally want to see the people who made the stuff we all love. Sometimes it is just for that 30 seconds of footage for a movie that was not due for another year. But just being in a room filled with the excitement of fellow fans makes it reach a whole new level.

I must admit that I have had some negative experience with some attendees and some security staff. When I line up to purchase exclusives at the HasbroToyShop booth, there are people right next to the booth trying to give money to us to buy them exclusives so that they can sale them on eBay. Thankfully, the Hasbro guys do a great job stopping them for the most part. The negative experience with security usually involves miscommunication between them like where a line starts. Sometimes they tell me to move and not rest at that spot. That one is mostly my fault though.

Now I have never been to a small scale convention yet. I hope that changes with BABSCon soon. So I can't say if the low amount of attendees heightens the "creepy" attendees or not. Based on what Heretick-Tock has mentioned, it appears to just be a sign of bad luck to find these people. Still, I believe there are way more great people there that just want to express their love for whatever it is the convention is about. If anyone feels discouraged by the negative comments, I suggest to try out a convention for a day or two as a trial run. You never know, you might have a little fun by accident.

:)

Edited by JasonKrueger13
  • Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

I am going to ROTL Con in November. It's a smaller brony con over in Denver Colorado. I actually have to say that I am terrified of going yet extremely excited at the same time mostly because I dunno what it'll be like. And I have a feeling to ME it might at least for the first day seem a little bit awkward seeing people running around dressed like ponies n stuff and I may just feel like I don't belong their, but we'll see I guess. :dash:

I've been thinking through it for almost three years.

Some bronies get over-obsessed with the show, and it actually seems like some anti-bronies are RIGHT.

I'm really wondering if I should go. Especially with weird people wearing costumes. This isn't Halloween!

After an incident at BronyCon this year a number of people I know have much different opinions than they had going into it.

No I'm not talking about the  Comedian Panel or whatever, it was largely unrelated to the con itself, but rather the convention center security. 

oh my. ive actually never really had a bad experience at a convention. bronycon 2015 was a seriously great time for me, and i didnt even have much money. I never had a bad experience there, and the people that i met at the convention were all quite friendly and nice. I mean i guess the shia lebouf meme got a little overdone and the lines were going out the back door, but it was still the greatest thing i ever did. heck, the age range was from 50 to 1 (there was literally a baby at the con, it was pretty child friendly). I feel as if these "bad apple" stories are just overblown, and a small minority of people who attend. 

this has been a somewhat minor rant thing with Darkly