Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Acerwoods Academy

twilight24

The hushed silence of the night surrounded the now silent school as the wind blew gently the hot, muggy June air. I held my breath as I gazed out into the brilliant aura of colors, recognizing the constellations as my teal green eyes opened wide. I am Feather Fluff by the way. I suppose I'm what you call a "dreamer"

The other teenagers gathered around me and looked at me seriously. For this was a serious matter.

Jalokim was the fist to put his hand in. "You all swear?"

Daeria Dray nodded her head. "Agreeded. "

Ghaothe Oche nodded. "Of course, dude."

The other five of us put are hands in and nodded at the same time. "I humbly swear that I will be there for the group, help others, and by no means obey soiciety."

My heart was pounding with happiness as I looked at my 8 new friends I had mangaged to make in one school year. We all had come so far in just one term. I couldn't help but sniffle as all my friends smiled back.

"Hey, it'll be okay,"replied Violet Sky as she intertwined my wing with hers. I couldn't help but blush when she gave me a quick peck on the lips.She really was the best girlfriend ever.

Jalokim and Pen Quille, my sister couldn't help winking at one another as they gave each other dashing smiles. I could sense something more than friendship existed between these two. But enough with the mushy stuff. It was a perfect last day which ever way you had it. Sunyatay Sutra, Gal Rush, and Cece Sky nodded.

We all gazed into the night sky as we remembered.....

~*****~

Begininng of the year:

"Hey dork face, how ya doing?" replied Jason, or Jason the Jock as I secretly called him. Him and his buddies laughed as he grabbed my glasses and threw them to his girlfriend, Summer.

What a great way to start of the beginning of the day, I thought darkly. I stumbled after Summer, who knocked my books out of my hands. I tripped over it and almost crushed my precious Nook. I quickly tried to grab it before any of this cruel gang could see it.

Henry kicked it out of my reach and laughed. "Oooh, look Brainac got a Nook, Should we dunk it in the toilet?

"No, no no!!" I cried, tears brimming at my eyes, which made them laugh all the harder. I knew why they picked on me, because I was so sensitive, half-white-Asian, had green hair, took advanced classes, all that jazz. It still hurt though.

I was starting my first year at Acerwoods Academy, a proud and prestigious private school that took a boatload of money to get into. I was here on a full scholarship. And yay, I had my "friends" get in to.

Footsteps could be heard coming down the hall, quick and fast. Summer quickly tossed me back my nook and glasses, while the rest of the gang high tailed out of there. Summer stayed behind to whisper one last taunt.

"See ya around- Retard." she gave me a swift kick to the stomach as she hurried away.

I could barely breathe. How come I deserved this?"

The figure's shadow enveloped me as I gazed into their kind eyes.

First day.  New school.  The usual population of super-competitive rich kids climbing to power and status over the backs of their rivals, because that's how you learn to scramble for position in the 1% when you grow up.  In short: Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here.  That's what it feels like for me anyway.  They seem to like it. 

"Oooh, look Brainac got a Nook, Should we dunk it in the toilet?

"No, no no!!"

Especially when they find someone they can hurt.  I ran toward the voices, and turned the corner in time to see the bullies break and run.  They must have thought I was a teacher or something when they heard my footsteps.  I felt a sudden jolt of fear.  Because, for some reason, it was only then that I realized that they could see me, and hurt me, too.  I...I don't know why I'd think they couldn't see me...and that frightens me.

But I push that thought out of my mind.  There's a boy lying on the ground surrounded by fallen books, fumbling to catch a Nook one of them pitched at him as they fled.  I skid to a stop.  He can see me too.  "Uh...are...are you alright?" I sputter, and crouch down to start gathering up his books.  What if he hates me for seeing him like this, and decides he wants a chance to hurt somebody, too?  So he can feel better.  My hands are trembling as I fumble with his books and it's everything I can do not to just run.  But it's the only thing I can do to help, and if I can't help, even a little...then I might as well not even exist at all. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Not cool" i said, stepping out in front of the bullies. "what?" they said innocently. "we didn't do anything".  "yeah, right, like i didnt just see that." i retorted. "oh, does smartypants have a giiiiiirrrlfriend?" they jeered. I thought they seemed like two year olds. jason attempted to throw a punch, and i swiftly hit him in the chest. hard. he landed on the ground, gasping. Summer gasped. nobody  had ever beaten up her boyfriend. especially not a girl. she stepped backwards, almost tripping, while jasons two goons ganged up on me. i take one out temporarily with a good kick, but the other grabs my ankle as i kick out, and attepts to throw me at a wall. i spread my arms and push away. he tried to catch me. i dropped fast and landed by his legs, knocking him over with a knee grab-and-pull. but he wouldnt look bad in front of summer, no. he tried to gain his balnce on one leg and tipped practically sideways he fell anyway, landing on his back. the goon who was out on the floor appraches me aggressively, and i knock him out by pushing him down, and he hits his head on the ground. summer runs away. i rolled my eyes and returned to my seat.  i spend my time practicing some of the moves thatt knocked out those bullies. i walk over to the person that was knocked down, and stand beside her and the other girl who helped her. "hi, i saw what happened, and while that area is probably safe, i dont suggest you go there." i said, motioning to the area where the bullies all lay. the noticed the blood on the back of my right converse and scurried away. "hey, wait!" i said, catching up. "im not going to hurt anybody but people who deserve it. you, obviously, have enough undeserved **** so ill hang out with you. jason and summer 'aint gonna bother you any more, while im here.

Edited by whitewater lightning
  • Brohoof 2

Pink Mist entered Acerwoods Academy with a confident stride. Her parents had convinced her to attend the prestigious private school, and even payed the money to get her in. She was certainly grateful that they had invested in a better education for her, but she had heard that the school's students were mostly made up of stuck-up rich kids, at least according to a friend who used to go there. "Try to stay away from fights, and try not to make any enemies." Her friend had told her.

Well his words came to mind when she witnessed some bullies pushing a kid to the floor and harassing him. Pink Mist got nervous and hid behind a row of lockers so she wouldn't be seen. After that, the group of bullies fought with a girl, and she beat them pretty hard. " I hope she's a good guy." She thought to herself. "Ok Pink Mist. This is your first day here so try to make a good impression and don't give anyone a reason to hate you. Stay below the radar, just don't get involved unless it's completely necessary." With that she strode down the hallway hoping to have a good first day.

• Brohoof 1

The boy didn't say anything, or react to me at all.  Somehow it felt weirdly familiar.  Like deja vu all over again.  That feeling I had when I ran up to him came back, that it would be normal for him to not see me at all.  But that's nonsense.  Maybe he's humiliated and a girl is the last thing he wants to see--

"Not cool!" someone shouted.  I looked up and saw the bullies turning around to come back, but now they were being confronted by an athletic girl.  One of the boys threw a punch, but before I could even try to figure out what to do, she tore them apart.  Like somebody in a karate movie.  A human tornado of kicks and punches.  Then she was coming right for me.  A force of nature.  What if she really is his girlfriend and and she thinks I'm trying to--

"hi, i saw what happened, and while that area is probably safe, i dont suggest you go there."

Her words didn't really register right away because she was coming at me and there was blood, standing out incarnadine against the white rubber sole of her shoe and people are scary enough when they just want to make fun of me and call me a failure.  I couldn't think at all.  I didn't even know what the boy was doing anymore, I just had to run.  Time to disappear.  But she caught up with me and how did I think I could get away when she's got legs like an Olympic runner so all I could do was back into the lockers and close my eyes and hope that whatever she wanted to do to me would be over soon.

"hey, wait!" i said, catching up. "im not going to hurt anybody but people who deserve it. you, obviously, have enough undeserved **** so ill hang out with you. jason and summer 'aint gonna bother you any more, while im here.

It took a moment for my brain to finally catch up and actually hear what she said.  I cracked my eyes open and looked up at her.  She wants to...hang out...with me?  My mouth opened, but I couldn't make any words come out.  My body just wanted to stay frozen.  You know that scene in Jurassic Park where everybody's trying to stay still so the Tyrannosaurus won't see them move?  Like that.  A big part of me desperately wanted her to just sniff a couple times, then go stomping off in search of other prey.  But I also hoped she wouldn't.  Because maybe she meant what she said.  Concentrate!  I take a breath and try to force my brain to calm down and think of words.  Then make the words come out.

"O-OK.  I'm...Sunyatay.  Sutra."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"cool, nice name. I'm Jewel." i replied to the awkwardly-acting Sunyatay. she seemed shy, not a good trait if you go to acerwoods. example: the boy that just was beaten up by the jocks. I put out my hand to shake hers. "but could i call you sun?" she and the boy continued walking, and i kept up. they were both being really quiet, and i dont know how to act around quiet people. i started by trying to make conversation. it kinda failed. "so, are you guys new?" perfect. just perfect. Of course they're new! what kind of idiot- "yeah" said sunyatay."okay, would you like a tour or have you gotten one?" "no and no" said the boy. "okay then, so...." my sentence died off as i realised they didnt really want to talk. we walked in silence for quite a long time. the bell rang, and we hurried away to our individual classes, and i was kind of glad. walking with them had been awkward. but i didnt have a lot of friends, and they seemed like theye needed a few. so i resolved that i would see them again. I missed the entire math class before lunch because i was thinking about different way i could have handled to bullies, and in different scenarios one in which i had the blue wings that my dreams soared upon every night. the imaginary fights went well. math didn't. i had no notes with which to study for the test in seven days. ah, well.

Edited by whitewater lightning
  • Brohoof 1

"Thank you...  Sun?" I said.  'Sun' is not really a nickname I'd expect anyone would ever give me.  I'm not exactly...radiant.  But if she's giving me a nickname, that's a good thing, isn't it?  "Yes.  Thank you," I managed.  So what do I say now?  To somebody who's super-athletic and able to kick the hindquarters--hindquarters?--of anybody she wants.  'So, what's it like to never have to be afraid of anything?'  'Where did you learn how to kick like a horse, and oh, there's blood on your shoe...?'  I don't know the first thing about sports teams or kung fu or any of the things that probably interest her, not even enough to ask an intelligent question.  And if I tried to talk to her about cymatics and how 'the music of the spheres' relates to Schrodinger's equation and de Broglie standing waves, she'd probably go 'Boooo-riiiing' and stuff me in a garbage can!  I can't even give her a nickname, because, how do you shorten 'Jewel?!'

I wish...I wish I could just talk to her!

The awkward silence continued until the bell rang and we had to go to our classes.  I waved goodbye and gave her the best smile I could, which was this really brief flicker of a thing because I'm feeling completely rotten for probably ruining the first and maybe only chance I'll ever get for making a friend here.  But I hope she at least understands that I want to be her friend, even if I don't know how. 

So my mind was chasing its own tail, trying to figure out what I couldashouldawoulda said, when I bumped into somebody who just stopped at her locker.  I jolt out of my thoughts and stammer "Sorry" as I back away.  She's a cute redhead with her hair gathered into three ponytails; one on each side of her head, and one in back.  That one is pulled up high so it looks like the upraised tail on one of those beautiful Arabian or Lipizzaner horses some girls like to have on binders or folders.  This...incredibly strong feeling...weird...like having deja vu about someplace you haven't been before...hits me, and it's like I'm seeing her as a horse but still a person, which makes no sense because she still looks like a normal person, but for some reason I feel like I should neigh at her...as if that's the right way to say hello.  Really. 

I try to give her...something like a friendly nod.  Except, instead of a normal nod, I do a neck-bend from the shoulders and toss my head...like a horse.  This is...really starting to scare me now.  Why horses?

• Brohoof 1

I wondered down the crowded halls towards my next class, head bent down low and eyes averted. You think I would know now not to be such, an easy target, such a little pansy. But I couldn't help it. I was always scared. And I had this blasted stutter and British accent. I had moved to the states 2 and half years ago, and life was still hell on Earth for me. My dark, raven black pony tail thumped against my backpack as I tried to ignore the laughter from behind.

"L-L-L-Loooookk, it's Stuttering Spazz-spazz. How are you el retardo?" repled nameless jock # 10000000x. He and and other jock slapped me hard on the back. And I mean HARD.

I whimpered and tried to run away, but he grabbed me by my long ponytail. I was tempted to kick him with my hoofs-wait, why hoofs? I couldn't finish my thought as they towered over me and knocked my books out of my hand.

Hey Spazzzzz-spazzz, were talkin' to you said Jock #1. He grinned as Jock #2 grabbed my ponytail and yanked it. HARD.

S--S-S-S-Stoppppppppp!!! I cried, trying to fight him off. They just laughed as Jock #2 tugged tighter at my ponytail.

"Sing, little retard, sing!! they crooned in unision. I cried and starting bawling. They knew I couldn't sing well, and with my sttter, it was just a horried combination.

I was about to start singing when iheard a voice shout out  "Hey!!"

There she stood. My brave and tough older sister Daeria Draqy. Her anger was bubbling almost too the surface as she punched her fist in her hand

After all the hallway drama had died down I went to my locker to put away some books and things I didn't need for my first class. Took a while but I finally found it and opened it with ease. I quickly looked around to make sure the bullies hadn't returned before turning back to my locker. I felt someone bump into me from the side, I felt startled but not mad. "Probably first day jitters." I thought to myself. Who wouldn't be nervous after what just happened? "Sorry." She muttered. She then did some sort of neck bend and tossed her head back, kind of like horses do when they toss back their mane. For a moment I actually saw her like a horse! I even got the strange feeling like I've seen her somewhere before. Kind of like dejá vu. Kind of a creepy feeling. I tried to shake it off. I just met her, I've never seen her before. That's impossible. Or maybe I just saw her on the street before coming here "Weird, but that's probably the way she greets people. It's what's makes her unique." "Oh hi, it's ok you were probably just distracted that's all. Say you wanna walk to class together?"

• Brohoof 1

yep. nurse's office, arm covered in blood. i fell asleep in a tree. not that i fell out, i have a weird sense of balance. but at lunch recess, i fell asleep in a tree and the bullies i beat up got me back. one of them grabbed me by my leg and pulled me out of the tree. i tried to open my wings, and- my wings? why on earth did i think i had wings? - anyway, they pulled me out of the tree and i landed on my arm. i couldnt scream, i couldnt give them the pleasure me of needing help and mercy.  they kicked my body until i was lying on my back, then the bigger of the two put his full weight upon my broken arm.  i heard cracking, and pain shot up m arm. "scream, little ninja," they said. i grinned. "thats the best you could come up with? im flattered." he took his foot off of my arm and kicked my muzzle -muzzle?- my mouth. i laughed and spat in his face, spattering it with blood. "pathetic. you kick like a little girl. you didnt knock one tooth loose." i grinned, my mouth full of blood, and that scared them a bit.

"you tell anyone who did this, and you're in for it" said the big one, pulling a pocket knife out of his shoe

"anyone" echoed the second jock. then they left. i had been lying about no loose teeth. he knocked two out. the idiots should've known i was lying, after all, why else would i be spitting blood? he didnt think i had a broken rib, did he? fool. i reached my good arm up to the lowest branch, and pulled myself up. i walked through any less-used paths in the school to reach the school nurse. i was going home, pride or not. and then sunyatay walked past.

• Brohoof 1