Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Comparing Princess Twilight with other fictional team leaders

Commander_PonyShep

(edited)

You know, every time I see Twilight, and the way she became princess just because she was leader of the Mane Six, I would almost forget that many other teams of heroes like the Mane Six always have their own leaders.  Usually, teams elect leaders among themselves to make important decisions and unite his/her teammates to a mutual goal.  At times, they're each given a mentor to instruct them on how to lead their teams, like Princess Celestia in Twilight's case.  However, those mentors usually die, disappear, or retire, and as a result pass on their position and authority to their chosen leaders, so that they could lead their teams in their steads.

And, the leaders are usually the strongest, the smartest, or the most charismatic, and would receive preferential treatment compared to their teammates.  That's not to say that the teammates have it badly, though; on the contrary, if the team-leader treats his teammates with compassion and unites them as a single unit, like Twilight did with her friends, then it's worth all the preferential treatment.  Otherwise, if the leader abuses his teammates and thinks of them as pawns, like if you were to look at Megatron and his treatment of Decepticon minions like Starscream, then he's an awful leader.

Those other team leaders like Twilight include, but aren't limited to:

-Yu Narukami (Persona 4)

-Simon (Gurren Lagann)

-Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)

-Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

-Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)

-Optimus Prime (Transformers)

And those are just the first few examples.

This is why, despite me starting off apprehensive of Princess Twilicorn, I'm now supportive of it instead.  Every team needs a leader, and Twilight is just one out of many examples like her.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

While it is true that a lot of teams have leaders and it was apparent from the beginning that Twilight is the leader of the mane 6 that still dosen't change the fact that her ascension happened far too soon and was handled poorly in the season 3 finale. A good leader character should have their development as a character be believable and Twilight's ascension has failed this test so far not because it was a bad idea to do it eventually but because of the flawed way it has been handled with it coming out of nowhere and it feeling contrived and forced with a rushed season finale which honestly made zero sense.

Despite how poorly it has been handled so far after seeing the Equestria Girls movie and how well that has been handled has given me hope that twilicorn can work as though the Equestria Girls movie was Hasbro's idea they gave the writers enough creative freedom to make it work and so long as they take that same approach with twilicorn it can work even if it will be a bit awkward at first. Because of this though I am still not entirely sold on the idea I am now neutral yet optimistic.