Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[WARNING!]Banned 2012 Super Bowl Commercial Ad.

Tyger

Check out this 2012 Super Bow Commercial Ad that was banned during the 2012 Super Bowl XLVI. It's very controversial and it does have a campaign theme, but it's NOT SUITED FOR THE SENSITIVE!

Edited by Tigger
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't find it funny at all. It was dead baby humor which relied on the "If you have a child you didn't want in the first place, it may become the next Hitler!" argument. That is by far one of the weakest arguments for contraceptives and/or abortion.

Really. Sheesh. This really soured my immediate opinion toward artificial contraceptives. It makes the use of condoms seem so self-indulgent and self-justified. Tell that to couples in Nigeria who struggle with whether or not to use condoms because one of the partners has AIDS. Their ability to have a child is effectively robbed. BUT MAKE SURE TO USE CONDOMS OR ELSE YOUR UNWANTED CHILD MIGHT BE A PSYCHOPATH!

This really annoyed me a lot, and I'm generally pretty lenient on the subject of contraceptives.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't find it funny at all. It was dead baby humor which relied on the "If you have a child you didn't want in the first place, it may become the next Hitler!" argument. That is by far one of the weakest arguments for contraceptives and/or abortion.

Really. Sheesh. This really soured my immediate opinion toward artificial contraceptives. It makes the use of condoms seem so self-indulgent and self-justified. Tell that to couples in Nigeria who struggle with whether or not to use condoms because one of the partners has AIDS. Their ability to have a child is effectively robbed. BUT MAKE SURE TO USE CONDOMS OR ELSE YOUR UNWANTED CHILD MIGHT BE A PSYCHOPATH!

This really annoyed me a lot, and I'm generally pretty lenient on the subject of contraceptives.

What's wrong with contraception? It let's people have sex without having a baby. Unwanted babies are often neglected, if they aren't aborted. Better to wear a condom and prevent a baby from coming being conceived than to not wear one and, in all likelyhood, condemn a child to a crappy childhood.

Now, if we're talking about abortion, that's a whole 'nother story. I've never understood how a baby in the womb isn't considered human enough to be murdered. Once it comes out, if you killed it, it would be murder. When a pregnant woman dies, they often say "there were two deaths, a women and her unborn child". If a woman tried to kill her born baby, she might be institutionalized, or at the very least, the baby would be taken away from her care.

But if the baby is still in the womb? Kill away.

What's wrong with contraception? It let's people have sex without having a baby. Unwanted babies are often neglected, if they aren't aborted. Better to wear a condom and prevent a baby from coming being conceived than to not wear one and, in all likelyhood, condemn a child to a crappy childhood.

Now, if we're talking about abortion, that's a whole 'nother story. I've never understood how a baby in the womb isn't considered human enough to be murdered. Once it comes out, if you killed it, it would be murder. When a pregnant woman dies, they often say "there were two deaths, a women and her unborn child". If a woman tried to kill her born baby, she might be institutionalized, or at the very least, the baby would be taken away from her care.

But if the baby is still in the womb? Kill away.

We're in general agreement about abortion. The logic behind the distinct difference between the life of an unborn child versus that of a fully born child is, unfortunately, obscured by very dangerous thinking.

As for contraceptives: the arguments with respect to the usage of artificial birth control are varied across a wide spectrum of situations. My standing is in general agreement with the Roman Catholic Church: artificial birth control frustrates one of the natural end of sexual relations which is procreation. I say this, however, recognizing their are unique cases such as the aforementioned African AIDS issue. And if contraceptives are forwarding the health of the partners (e.g., the woman would face a life threatening situation if she were to become pregnant, or the welfare of the unborn child would be placed in grave and enormous risk), then I would lean toward the principle of double effect which in this case teaches that so long as the end is not to thwart the creation of life for morally suspect reasons (i.e., it is inconvenient rather than arguably medically or habitually necessary) but instead to preserve a morally just end, then the implimentation of artificial contraceptives is moral and justified.

In this commercial, however, that is not the argument. It suggests that sexually active partners should make artificial contraception the norm because of the doomsday scenario of giving birth to a psychopath. On the flipside, such shoddy argumentation has been used to propose outlawing abortion, i.e., the child aborted may have become the doctor who cures cancer. These are post hoc justification fallacies for moral difficulties, and I find that unacceptable.

The use of artificial birth control is not the moral standard; it should not be our duty to make certain we "rubber up" before having sex. It trivializes sexual relations and its implications; it's also a caricature of couples who decide to use contraceptives. There are those who struggle a great deal with whether or not to use these methods; whether or not pursue a termination of an unwanted pregnancy. I found this to be the logical and moral equivalent of someone dressing up in blackface and putting on a Vaudevillian routine; even though I am not African-American, it's frightening to think that people believe the world should function within such simplistic parameters.

This is the kind of commercial you have to shut off your brain (Or at least the moral standards part) to enjoy, but I can definately see why it was banned. Much too dark humour.

Huh... this reminds me of another condom commercial similar to this one... are all of them like this o.0?