Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[WARNING!]Banned 2012 Super Bowl Commercial Ad.

Tyger

text

It seems like your problem is more with recreational sex than it is with contraception. That's a totally different argument, and since you seem to be coming from a religious background while I am atheist, we would be unlikely to come to an agreement.

But I think you have to admit that people have recreational sex regardless of any moral issues others may or may not have, and if people are going to do that, it's best to not bring unwanted babies into this world, because like I said, unwanted babies are often treated very poorly.

Also, I don't think the commercial was saying "hey, wear a condom or you might accidentally give birth to a serial killer" it was saying "if you aren't intending to have a kid, wear a condom, because if you don't, you'll probably wish you had".

It's like if somebody shows you a video about a guy speeding and then crashing and causing a 10 car pileup with 20 deaths. It's not saying "don't speed because you might cause a 10 car pileup and kill 20 people". It's saying "don't speed because you might cause an accident."

It seems like your problem is more with recreational sex than it is with contraception. That's a totally different argument, and since you seem to be coming from a religious background while I am atheist, we would be unlikely to come to an agreement.

But I think you have to admit that people have recreational sex regardless of any moral issues others may or may not have, and if people are going to do that, it's best to not bring unwanted babies into this world, because like I said, unwanted babies are often treated very poorly.

Also, I don't think the commercial was saying "hey, wear a condom or you might accidentally give birth to a serial killer" it was saying "if you aren't intending to have a kid, wear a condom, because if you don't, you'll probably wish you had".

It's like if somebody shows you a video about a guy speeding and then crashing and causing a 10 car pileup with 20 deaths. It's not saying "don't speed because you might cause a 10 car pileup and kill 20 people". It's saying "don't speed because you might cause an accident."

Except the illustration of a serial killer being produced out of an unwanted pregnancy is a dog whistle for the moral affirmation of birth control. Even if the writers of the commercial weren't aiming for a specifically intentional political and/or moral message (though they were regardless), they hit all the cues for that particular form of argumentation. In other words, individuals are upholding a moral good by using artificial contraceptives for recreational sex. It's a manipulative tactic, and I don't particularly like being morally and cognitively manipulated.

We could probably end up debating the moral implications of choosing artificial birth control for recreational sex at length. This topic really isn't the place for it. I do believe, however, there is a moral imperative which exists in sexual relations and its intent, and that imperative is often neglected because it is inconvenient. That morality stands apart from "simply" being a religious notion of sex.

Well... ok I guess that was kinda funny.

Couldn't help thinking it could have ended with a happily married couple saying "lets have kids" and it would have made just as much sense.

ThIS comercial sucks! Why you people keep calling it good? I didnt get that mole thing very nice, is it some sort of psycopath thing? Anyways, there's a couple of commercials flying around like this one, that bascially say, use condoms because children are horrible and or might turn out to be horrible people. They are basically telling people not to have children AT ALL. Because even if its wanted, he still might turn out like this. And then boom, there will be no kids and humanity will die.

Edited by Eenohay

Oh and a question, how is this a superbowl commercial if it has nothing to do with the superbowl? LOL, i'm gonna assume that the superbowl is infact so much about the ads that all of the adds are made specifically for it