Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to be immortal?

I_wesley125

234 users have voted

1. 1. would u want to live 4 ever

• Live 4 Ever
    • live a normal life
    • Stare at the moon
    • how did i get here like seriously a minute ago i was looking up cat videos

I'd actually be rather okay with immortality. There are so many things that I'd love to try or do that, with the mortal time frame, would be impossible to all complete. Yes, my family and friends would die without me, but I'd learn to move on and repeat the process and make new close friends. (But I would treasure the memories and miss them for the remaining eternity)

I'd become incredibly wise, becoming a master in many skills, and I'd enjoy a lot of it to I've always held a fascination with the technologies of the future, especially the ones that I would not live to see. And eventually, with my skills I'd naturally earn enough money to sustain me indefinitely so after the first couple centuries of work and learning I would expand and be pretty much free forever to do anything I wanted. And being a curious, optimistic person, I want to travel the stars, meet and discover other races, and interact. And being that the universe is near infinite, so would my time to learn about it all.

Living forever would be a dream come true at first but then you will began to see your loved ones grow old and die. Everyone you ever meet will die and you will remain the same for all eternity. So it will drive you insane. So why not find something useful to do with your immortality? You can't die, so why not try to fix the world or destroy it? You would be a god.

I love over thinking things.

Edited by Stranger

I always like to ponder on the loss of loved ones aspect. I'm in school for funeral service and the subject of death, and mourning for the loss of a loved one comes up repeatedly during my week. While yes grief is hard, and no matter how often you experience it, it's never the same twice. Who's to say that immortality wouldn't make grieving easier? Something that a lot of people forget about during the grief process is self care.

during mourning it can be difficult to manage your life, and to keep yourself healthy. Often times going to the store to buy milk can become an all day chore. Now consider this. you're immortal. Depending on the type of immortality, you may or may not need that milk. You may not need food at all save for it's comforting aspects, and you can generally get those comforts from friends or other sources. What I'm saying in a nutshell is that self care becomes much easier, and you would have more time with your thoughts to cater to your grief.

This lack of a need for physical self care also makes maintaining a career and suitable living conditions much much less important. A god isn't going to be to SOL if they have to sleep in a box. it's not comfortable no, but you certainly needn't worry about being harmed physically.

This fact will also make grieving easier. Your boss doesn't want you to take time off to grieve? Screw him and just quit. You have an infinite amount of time to find a new job.

So now we have covered that a grieving immortal has less responsibility financially, and physically. So what we're pretty much left with is just the social and spiritual aspects of grief support. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the spiritual side will be fairly settled assuming that you're immortal through magical means. I mean...if I can be 'poof!' magically immortal, then I'm going to have a bit more faith in an afterlife and peace in the beyond for my loved ones.

Now for social! Alright well assuming you lived your life like a normal human being until say...the age of 20, then you probably have plenty of friends whom you can rely on for social support. Now clearly these friends are going to eventually perish too, but this doesn't mean that you wont have developed new social support systems. Heck if your friends and family know that you're immortal, they might even try to help you deal with the fact that you're going to out live everyone. That last point however brings up another fun fun fun one. It is very likely that the dying persons may be envious of your ability to cheat death, and they may leave with some resentment towards you. Now there's some guilt to be heavy on your infinite heart.

Again however, you're going to live for a long time. I imagine that being painful the first couple of times, but I imagine after about 20 + losses, you'd be pretty damn good at countering/comforting the dying persons qualms with your immortality. With anything, experience yields changes.

Below is what comes to mind on this topic. It could even be the start of a poem.

I stand between death and immortality. I walk in the dark place that exists between the end of days and the eternal beginning.

I would be immortal and call myself god. Any questions my subjects?

It would be sad to see all the people die thought, and you'll soon go insane from bordem after you've completed everything.

I would, because since I'm the youngest in the family, chances are I'm going to see everyone in my family die before me. And anyways, I can just kill myself when i get bored, so really what's the big deal?

I'm surprised that no one thought of it like this.

Just minus the killing-yourself part.

But still, it would be pretty sad to not die, the only way to do so would be to do it yourself. Edited by SUPERFOX5
  • Brohoof 2

I would want to live a normal life, why? I couldn't deal with the grief I feel as I watch all my friends and family die, as I just toil away at living. I honestly think that would be fate worse then death.

I don't exactly know what "Stare at the moon" means, but I'm guessing sit back and relax and enjoy life without worrying. That's how I try to live. It doesn't always work out when the cruel entity known as reality steps in and makes me face life, but when I get breaks from those times, I like to lay back, stare up at the stars, and think about life. How wonderful it is and how blessed we all are, and that we have a limited time here. Being immortal seems like it would be painful. To watch the people you love grow and be happy, only to have them die and leave you breathless and heart broken? Seems far to painful. To live a "normal" life is to set a norm or a standard of what life should be. I try to avoid what is portrayed as "normal" as much as possible if I can help it. At then end of the day I am simply a thinker. I like to sit back, relax, and ponder about life and the joy of living.

(As for cat videos... no comment)

I'd wait for technology to evolve to such a level that I could become a cyborg.

Haha, you wanna know something funny? Apparently within the next twenty-forty years, cybernetic ''Upgrades'' will available, and nano technology will be advanced enough to nearly halt human aging completely. I'll believe it when I see it, I think.

Haha, you wanna know something funny? Apparently within the next twenty-forty years, cybernetic ''Upgrades'' will available, and nano technology will be advanced enough to nearly halt human aging completely. I'll believe it when I see it, I think.

My grandma is a cyborg. I'm not kidding. She has a pacemaker, which according to the official definition of the word, makes her a cyborg.

Having to live forever is like the opposite of a death sentence. I prefer not to live forever so I could watch everyone around me to die and I myself just constantly alive. It would be a horrible punishment to live forever in my opnion.

Nooooo I wouldn't be immortal.

I'd have to deal with every single one of my friends and family members death and when the inevitable death of planet Earth happens where do I go then?

• 2 weeks later...

Essentially, you're given the option to pick your own time of death, assuming you would ever want to die. There's no reason to refuse immortality if you retain the ability to self-terminate instantly. Things only get interesting when you're stuck with the consequences of the decision to have eternal life, so under I_wesley125's scenario, yes, I would take it. If I couldn't end my own life, then no, I would refuse it; immortality would eventually become a "disease," as one particular Q once said.

No way I would want to be immortal, I would hate to see everyone ageing around me, plus life is an adventure... sometimes it can be painful and you may get sick but that's the way it goes... so no I would not want to be immortal.

It would be too painful to lose the ones I love over and over again. It would take all the joy out of life, and everything would lose meaning. Why live forever if you are not truly living?

I think a boundless ghost. It'd be cool to be immortal yes. You could do anything you've ever wanted to as a ghost. Use a comp, steal a game. Sounds satisfactory...

Pretty much sums it up^

Edited by WoonaMooves

I would never be able to accept immortality. To watch everything and everyone I know and love die and fade away, that's something I could not do. There's actually a really good book about this. It's called "Forever" by Pete Hamill. Pretty cool story. If I could just see what would happen after I die, like what path humanity takes, I would be happy with that.

How'd I get here from all of those cat videos.....

But maybe, depends on if time will speed up in my perception or not, because even if you don't go insane, or get hurt, if your perception of time continues to speed up as you age regardless, then I would say no because eventually you would have 1000 years flash by in a seconds time.