Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to be immortal?

I_wesley125

234 users have voted

1. 1. would u want to live 4 ever

• Live 4 Ever
    • live a normal life
    • Stare at the moon
    • how did i get here like seriously a minute ago i was looking up cat videos

I wouldn't want true immortality. If anything I'd rather want to live for an incredibly long time without the hindrance of my body suffering from age. Sure, it'd be hard to watch good friends die, but it's part of life and must be dealt with (not a cold person, but I accept death so it "probably" wouldn't hurt me that much). The main reason for this would be that I get to watch the Earth grow, deviate, and evolve (in both good and bad). The amount of knowledge I could gain in this time has an incredible value to me. However, I'd want to be able to choose when I wanted to die. Immortality is fine and all, but all things must end at some point.

(edited)

The quick answer to this is no. The human body wasn't designed to last, even taking the idea of the body lasting, the human mind wouldn't be able to retain the information and since you can't actually forget anything as the subconscious retains pretty much everything around us, eventually you'd have a memory overload. Since you can't die this could only lead to one thing... Insanity.

Even if that doesn't happen think of all the misery you would see, friends and family dying, nations falling, war etc.

The thing that makes life worth living is actually living your life, if you have all the time in the world what motivation is there to do anything?

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

I would say no, but maybe yes. 

Why I say this is three reasons.

Loneliness

When I'm immortal, I wouldn't want to be alone. I'd want to be with my friends and family and live forever. But if only I was immortal, my friends and family would die and I wouldn't have anyone to love. 

Same Age

I'd have to stay at the same age. I'd wait until I was AT LEAST 21 to be immortal, to drive a car, to drink, to party.

New Trends 

Well, there would be new trends. I'd be only remembering the ones now, and sound stupid. 

(edited)

I wouldn't want to be immortal. I feel I would be tempted to do many "wrong" things due to there being no way to punish me. I can't die from illness or injury, so that removes most threats that could prevent such activity.

On the other hand, if I was caught doing something then if I was unhappy with how I was punished (say imprisoned , I could just end it with no solid cause for others to discover. What I would want is just longevity. Being able to live for an extended period of time (while attaining my youth) would be better. I'd still be mortal, which I find important as a human.

but it would be a little sad to live far longer than everyone else. Especially if your living conditions are poor. Being immortal doesn't mean you have everything you want. Same goes for "un-aging" people.

Edited by Hayze

(edited)

Yes I would. I think about Immortality everyday. Infinite knowledge, infinite wisdom. I would take it that you would stop aging in your 20's. Maybe put off love until you can find a way to make others immortal.

Edited by Dark Moon

Ummm.... No thanks. I wouldn't want to stay old forever as I watch all my loved one die around me. I would want to make life count and live it the best I can! Being immortal is scary... what would happen to you at the end of time? What would you do? Where would you go? So, no, I would like to live a normal life please.

However, I do believe in a heaven where souls may rest peacefully, so at least there is comfort in that laugh.png

(edited)

Simply put, the only way I would ever want to be immortal is if I were also forever young. There are quite a few things I could do for the benefit of mankind as a whole if I were immortal. However, the 'kill yourself by thought' stipulation does concern me. Perhaps if it were more...safe, I could work with it, but if it's a simple 'I want to die' thought, and then I die, it would be silly. Sure, friends and family would eventually pass, but I believe that it would be worth it in order to be around to watch how humans evolve.

Edited by Toko Yakkai

(edited)

Simply put, the only way I would ever want to be immortal is if I were also forever young. There are quite a few things I could do for the benefit of mankind as a whole if I were immortal. However, the 'kill yourself by thought' stipulation does concern me. Perhaps if it were more...safe, I could work with it, but if it's a simple 'I want to die' thought, and then I die, it would be silly. Sure, friends and family would eventually pass, but I believe that it would be worth it in order to be around to watch how humans evolve.

The only downside to this is to experience their fall if such a thing were to happen. but I think the whole "I want to die" Thought has to be genuine. The "Kill-switch" probably wouldn't activate unless you truly wanted to give up your eternal life, for death. Just thinking "should i die"? on a whim probably would do nothing.

Edited by Hayze

The only downside to this is to experience their fall if such a thing were to happen. but I think the whole "I want to die" Thought has to be genuine. The "Kill-switch" probably wouldn't activate unless you truly wanted to give up your eternal life, for death. Just thinking "should i die"? on a whim probably would do nothing.

Wouldn't that still be intriguing though? To watch the steps that our race makes throughout time? Think if you were immortal a thousand years ago and to see what we've done and become. Say you were alive during the dark ages, to experience the plague, wars, good times and bad times, and then to know that we as a race make it through all of that. How would that affect your character, your thoughts and beliefs? Would it make you wiser, more comfortable to change, more fluid as an individual in societies? Would you be able to bring peace to nations with culture, language, and thought systems that are strikingly different from one to the other?

• Brohoof 1

Na I wouldn't want to be TRULY immortal. I mean seriously think...at some point the earth is going to blow up or their is going to be a nuclear war and then you would probably spend trillions of years in idle just floating through space or something! Still it would be nice if I could live a good 190-250 years and still be healthy, as long as a world war 3 doesn't break out!

PS: Im back on the forum! tongue.png  Just had a lot going on lately!!!

• Brohoof 1

Yes, that would be a dream come true, I could watch all the TV I wanted until the end of time, and sense I would never die that means I'd never have to worry about feeding myself! Yay.

This. Now this is a very interesting question, and answering it is going to be difficult, without making it complex.

Like you said, if I had the power to die if I couldn't 'take it anymore' then yes, I would take immortality. For a few reasons.

One, it'd be a well fulfilled life and I would spend that life trying to find cures for diseases, or become the world's first superhero.

Two, because it's immortality, and the only way to die is 'if you kill yourself' then you wouldn't have to worry about messing up, and would be capable of getting through any problem.
Three, well. It's basic immortality, who doesn't wanna be immortal?

Then, of course there's the disadvantages, being a test subject; possibility of spending your life in a cell; the obvious case of bloated ego or greed. Things like that.

• Brohoof 1

I had to vote for "Stare at the moon", since the question is quite difficult for me. My family has near completely split, so I only talk to my mother, which can really take out "Watch all your loved ones die around you". I also think it would be...interesting to stand by and watch humanity rip itself apart, and how, if it does. Though one can become very tired of living, as seeing the world can be depressing, and once you see everything than what? I guess wait 5K years so you can space travel, even than, it would be a very boring entirety.

I love everyone but for me my biggest fear is death.  I don't know other people don't share this fear with me intensely like I do....

As I stated, I love everyone but yes.  To escape death would be the greatest present that anyone could give me.

Does the immortality though come with infinite youth?  The two are different but they go hand in hand.

Yes i would like to be immortal, since i'm afraid of death, but i also know that it has the price of seeing your loved ones die, this is nothing that time can't fix (at least for me).

I will take it. Now before any of you say that I'm a greedy mortal bucktard who only care about living forever, let me explain.

I understand that seeing everyone you love dies one by one when you remain alive is pain. I understand, but it hurts me more if I can't share my love in this world. I want to share my wisdom to the new generations, and bring them humanity. I will learn in my immortality. I will keep learning, and teach people what I get. I will share them the knowledge, and share the wisdom of true love and unconditional mercy. I will try to make the world a better place for everyone, by teaching them. Being immortal means that the knowledge I have won't disappear, and that's good. I will keep sharing it.

Many people died soon after they realize the meaning of life, and couldn't share it to anyone. That's why our new generation is getting worse. Those knowledge is gone, and they young can't learn it. When finally they learn it, their age takes them away.

Also note that love can't be gone. Our love is always with us, even if our loved ones are gone. Their love is still here with us. And remember that we still can share our love to anyone. To our new generation. Love makes a better world. The only matter is to share it, and teach our new generation how to love.

At least that's what I want to teach my children, if I have any. The wisdom of true love and mercy.

I considered all of the legitimately important aspects of this and I think that all joking aside I would definetely take the opportunity, since I have a means of dying after you know the whole sun exploding thing. Anyways one interesting factor is rather important to me.... I would have thousands of years to perfect my image so I could get all the ladies. I would also have thousands of years to generate bank account interest and get a LOT of money. I could basically live for thousands of years doing non-stop partying, and since diseases dont affect me I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT. I could eat the brains of a kuru diseased Papau New Guinean! If I got bored I could always bring the world to its knees by using my trillions of dollars to buy a bunch of heavy weaponry and use it to bring down a bunch of government figures, and they would be powerless to stop me because I would be immortal! Then once humanity is ripped to shreds I could do the psychological suicide thing, or have some fun using the leftover ICBMs from humanity.

Watch my loved ones die, then watch the rest of humanity die, then watch the sun blow up and burn the earth into a crisp, float into space until I reach a planet, if the planet has intelligent life (or at least common sense), I will show the inhabitants of the planet this wonderful show called MyLittlePony which I have kept copies of with me through all this time, the legacy has been passed on!

I'm a realist, if a love one died then I will mourn for a week, then my symphony would fade away quickly, I get over things quickly. As long as i don't spend entirety in nothingness, I would take the chance to become immortal. 

I hear a lot about how bad everything would be with immortality, and its very true, but since i would never want to kill myself due to things like that, im not sure i would want to die of age either. The concept of something being so bad you tire of life seems beyond me. The reason things make you sad are because you've lost a happiness, and with eternal life you could find that happiness again. Not wanting to continue living is like saying The sadness at the end wasn't worth the happiness along the way.

Yes. I will probably step off of this ride within a millennium or so, but as I wouldn't die from anything other than self inflicted injuries, I'd be the first in line to strapping a Saturn V (or 2) to my back and heading to Mars. Maybe even Europa with a massive ice auger and a remote submersible.

I wouldn't mind being immortal in the sense of never ageing, but I expect to die if it were of other causes. 

Although the concept of living through all of your friends and families deaths, you would also have the chance to watch your family grow, along with making new friends and depending on your beliefs, new families.

You also get to experience all manner of new things, new technologies and new activities. You'd never run out of them as they are ever changing and evolving.

I picked live forever, but the only way I could make that decision is if my fiancee, his daughter, our son (and basically all the kids we'll eventually have), and our families could live forever as well. I could never want to live forever if it meant that I would outlive my children.