Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to be immortal?

I_wesley125

234 users have voted

1. 1. would u want to live 4 ever

• Live 4 Ever
    • live a normal life
    • Stare at the moon
    • how did i get here like seriously a minute ago i was looking up cat videos

Well I do not want to live forever. I would eventually get sick of living, because you will have nothing to do when you live too much.

And also, to see every person you like die? No thanks, I'll stick with my normal life.

It seems as if people assume that if you life forever, you will stop making new friends.  I would assume that every generation would bring new friends and family.  The children of my current friends become my new friends, and then their children, and so on.  Same with my family.  

(edited)

It's not that they assume you'll cease making friends, it's the fact you'll outlive the ones you currently have, and any others you come to meet. It's pretty demoralizing, realizing you'll live on but those around you will die. It can take a lot out of a person, possibly even make them want to avoid making friends in the first place.

Personally, I'd take this specific opportunity because there's a way out. Had you come up to me and said I'll live forever, period? I probably would have said no.

Though it would be astounding to watch as the human race matures and its innovation and creativity give way to new advances and frontiers, there is only so much you can do in... Oh... 10100 years. Only so much to see, do, and experience before the universe experiences true heat death.

Now, argue all you want that humanity could live forever, but it's probable that we - in whatever shape or form we exist in in the far future - will eventually die (or ascend to godhood, depending). This means there are only a finite number of things to experience (and we're not counting godhood. I didn't get a one-way ticket to another plane of existence, I got immortality. Lets also assume I can't be a god because the immortality deal doesn't work that way).

It follows then that by asking me if I would like to become immortal, you're asking me to observe as everything meets its timely (and sometimes untimely) end. Now, I'm a hopeful person; I like to stay optimistic - but I don't think I can see a good side to that.

Edited by Durandal

I think normal life is already very long, it runs in the family to live a very long life. Everyone seems to get close to 90 years old, so if I'll ever have kids they will outlive me. So no I don't want to be immortal, I think normal life is long enough.

why would you have the ability to die by thought? who is giving this power? God? the devil? it matters! also what if you think about killing yourself for a minute but dont intend to? what are the parameters of thought which i am confined in? Does it only work if you have intent? and to answer your question yes, if i wont die from just a fleeting thought of it. also only if i magically acquired it or from god or some other divine source.

immortality is the worse curse able to put upon someone. Imagine seeing everyone you love dying in each generation, imagine your partner dying and you not being able to die with them. Imagine the horror and pain you'd go through with conflict such as war and knowing you can see everyone else die except yourself. All of the problems the earth faces without you being able to escape from it, what if a massive plagued killed almost everyone on the planet and you had to live through it all with all of the sadness that followed it. Living to the end of time with you being the last thing to exist.
However with your inclusion of being able to kill yourself that kinda cancels those points out unless you can't commit suicide. But if you couldn't die, then it's the worse thing to happen to you, ever.

1. The extra 2 options on that poll are an unfunny joke. It's a yes or no matter, don't be cute about it.

2. Like everyone else, I'd hate to have to see everyone I love die, but I already am the youngest in my Family and I'd have to see that anyway. If I'm gonna be the last man standing, I may as well enjoy it for a few hundred years. But eventually, I'd like to be able to die.

(edited)

To better and more eloquently explain why I think immortality, like many hyped up concepts, is overrated I will have Elrond, as portrayed by Hugo Weaving (yes THAT GUY that played Agent Smith in the original The Matrix) and Lady Arwen as played by Liv Tyler explain why from this clip from The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S6mc3Fv7vDM

If I did have a choice in the matters regarding this world though I would prefer to have the chance to be able to revisit it and return to the afterlife when I desired, though that may be asking a bit much. Even if the world outlives you, chances are you will probably never outlive the world. Hence the liberation of death and the curse of the undying.

Edited by Cwanky

okay think of it this way, the doctor has lived for eons he has seen just about the entire universe but he is still learning, i mean come on you could proceed you immortal life like a watch man; recording everything in existence or you could be like captain jack and help save people and every time some one shot or disintegrated you you could live on to face another day. sure you would miss your family and friends... wow ... i just thought of the perfect fan fic this one.

I'd love to be immortal as I could do everything that I ever could and ever do. I don't know if reincarnation actually happens to us after we die but hey, I want to see how 3000 looks!

• Brohoof 1

I would delve into the deepest recesses of madness and emerge victorious! Send the world of mortal man into the hellfire of my wake and through their suffering build a new empire of chaos and pain!

So yeah, that'd be cool.

Yes, I would like to be immortal. I would love to have an endless life; gives you the time to actually slow down and relax. You could also do extremely important things as well; maybe even have the chance to get rid of cancer. You can never be too sure. 

• Brohoof 1

no i don't think ii would want to become immortal. i have had close family members die and it is on of the most painful things to experience, having to witness your entire family and every on you ever knew and loved  diminish into nothing would be too much.  

Yes, I would like to be immortal. I would love to have an endless life; gives you the time to actually slow down and relax. You could also do extremely important things as well; maybe even have the chance to get rid of cancer. You can never be too sure. 

Yeah that would be cool, unless of course something were to happen to hinder any activity, like, oh I don't know. . . being stranded in space?

• Brohoof 1

oh I don't know. . . being stranded in space?

I had a feeling someone was going to bring that up; it was mentioned quicker than I thought it would. ;~;  I could still do it; even when stranded in space. 

• Brohoof 1

I had a feeling someone was going to bring that up; it was mentioned quicker than I thought it would. ;~;  I could still do it; even when stranded in space. 

You have plenty of time on your, um, hands? So I'm nopony to judge, as I've done little with my short existence other than whine and watch pony videos. Hmm, on second thought, that was time well spent.

• Brohoof 1

I think a "bit of immortality" would be nice to see how the world progresses but eventually I'd like to move on, or as I said before have the luxury to travel between afterlife and this realm. But what would happen once the Earth dies and our Solar System goes supernova? It might be an awfully depressing life to be condemned traveling the universe. That's a fate worse than the Wandering Jew's, who was cursed to walk the earth until Jesus' 2nd coming.

Living forever has very many downs. You see a lot more sorrow than others - the people you love die, and you don't.

If a special somepony who'd definetely be the one, and would also be granted eternal life, I could reconsider...

Well I got to go with living 4 ever! so this way I can keep watching MLP and help the people of tomorrow get along and help people love each other more and hate less, and yeah just so I can keep watching MLP.......

I think a lot about all of the things I will miss out on seeing because I will not live long enough.  Technology, movies, television, books, etc.  I wish I could basically live until the human species has died out completely, so I could see where we end up.  Then I would choose to die as the last of my kind.  

Oh absolutely I would. It would be hard seeing the people I care about die, but that's life. You learn to live with tragedy and move on, and you can always continue meeting more people. I would love to at least be alive for medical science to progress to the point where I don'thave these creaky old joints at least

I would not like to be immortal. Having to suffer the death of every person you love. Having to watch them die. Having to see your life fall apart financially. If I was immortal, I'd probably be happy until all those things I listed started happening. And then I'd question my own existence until the point of which I have lost the will to live.